Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!
I don't think DoubleJump exists anymore, and they're the ones who created the 3 and 4 vanilla guides. It annoys me because they posted Ai's correct bio on their forums once and I never got around to printing it out and pasting it over the bad copy in my guide.

E: also a shame because they did good work and some people presumably lost their jobs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

Most professional translations are attempts to find a happy medium among accurately conveying the language, conveying the actual experience of the native speakers playing the game, and creating a game that's worthwhile for the speakers of the new language to play. Nothing is going to perfectly accomplish all three.

What I like about the honorifics is that they efficiently signal that there's something about the relationships between the characters that is specific to Japan, that it might not make perfect sense, and we should just roll with it and move on. They would have been useful in translations where adult characters randomly called each other "Big Brother" (I remember it happening in Suikoden 2 with a character you had literally just met) or got angry at being called some strange but not offensive variation of their name (like just about every Atelier game).

But hey, YMMV. If Atlus were to start taking a less literal approach, I wouldn't particularly object as long as it was done with care.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

From what I've heard it's utterly unforgiving on a first playthrough. The guide I saw suggests rotating saves constantly.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

My 100% guide run was finally derailed last night by my inability to tell bio nutrients from organic nutrients; I made up the kindness loss by doing the flower shop instead of a burger run to keep Hermit on track, but then couldn't get Iwai's mission immediately before a scheduled Mementos trip. So now I'm a day behind on Tower and the current palace, but a day ahead ok a couple of books, which will hopefully come out in the wash. Still better than not finishing a confidant as far as I'm concerned.

In other news, they really had no creative energy left by the time they got to Haru, did they? "Here's your newest party member, some girl Morgana bumped into and accidentally took into the Metaverse. She happens by coincidence to be connected to the next boss and she already semi-manifested Persona powers offscreen, because we knew you wouldn't want to see that happen. She likes gardening. You might want to gently caress her if you can rank up in time. Have fun!"

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

Lakbay posted:

If you're behind on the 100% guide start using the crap out of Chihaya's boosts. I'm super ahead on the guide thanks to those

Yeah, those saved my rear end a few times when I was inexplicably not ready to rank up on schedule. They couldn't do much about being gated out of a rank up event though.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

Lakbay posted:

I'm only in the middle of the confidant but weapons dealer is cooler than coffeedad and Dojima

My favorite part of his link is the scene where you invite him to spend time with you alone in the park at night.

Akira is such a whore.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

He actually shudders when Ann tosses one of her many garments near him.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Yusuke totally wanted to see Ann nude and the game plays it straight so I'm not sure why people think he's gay. I seriously don't mind (or care that much) but when she's removing the layers and stuff he has a lot of internal "no I... I'm doing this for the art... I can't let myself get carried away!" lines as well as him getting flustered to high hell despite her awful acting.

I totally interpreted that as his being grossed out by being so near feminine undergarments, and having to psych himself back into his rationale for doing it. I didn't even think it was ambiguous.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

HellOnEarth posted:

It's a good thing his Confidant increases regardless of what you say to him because he deserves all the poo poo you give him. And at the end of the game, if you max his link, he says that you're his best friend.

You know who else did that?

Kenji Tomochika.

Just sayin'.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

Oh hey Mishima won't rank past 9 after November. Ever. The game lets you get all the way up there and then he is permanently busy, even if you clear every Mementos request. I found this out after spending another night maxing literally every other character. Including Strength, which is delightful.

Before I load my save from twenty hours or so back, I think I'm going to play MEA for a few days to remind myself that I like this game and I don't actually want to murder anyone involved with its creation.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

Endorph posted:

you don't need to max out every s. link

I would actually be far more pissed off by finishing with 21/22 arcana than by having to spend another day of my life redoing this poo poo, so yes, I do.

I can leave the trophies for another playthrough but the links are not optional for me. Not even once.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

Andrast posted:

That's really weird

K internet stranger, your opinion is valued

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

FractalSandwich posted:

The more I see comments like this, the more I think it would have been a good idea to make it impossible to finish every link in a single run, so people didn't do that to themselves.

It was actually a little bit of a relief when Dangan Ronpa did that, so yeah, maybe.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

Saigyouji posted:

Yeah, Mishima was like, the second to last link I maxed out in my playthrough, and I was definitely well into December. (Meanwhile I maxed out Hifumi's link on the last possible day because I am bad at time management. Still managed to max 16 confidants though, so eh.)

I'm at a loss for what the requirement is, then. I have like a week left, no Mementos quests left (except apparently for one that drops at the very end) and he's still going on about how he has to do something to fix the site. Standing alone every night on a street corner in Akihabara ain't gonna help much, man.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Complete the 7th dungeon and he'll wanna hang out again.

If you're right about that (and the people I read on GF are wrong), you just saved me another trip through palace 6, a month of rank events and a ton of redone fusions. My sincere thanks are not enough, but sexual favors are impractical to offer so they will have to do.

There's no time skip this time after you finish that dungeon, right? You get the whole rest of the month to wrap things up?

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

NRVNQSR posted:

I don't particularly like Mishima as a person but the plot of that link ended up being a lot better than I expected. There was a great sinking feeling, around the time he buys the gun, of "Holy poo poo, this guy is seriously messed up and I don't really know what I can do about it."

I like the fact that (Moon and palace 6 spoilers) you resolve it by confronting his shadow without actually taking his heart. Kind of like what happens with Sae, except with a sad sort of "he's hit rock bottom and we're just going to leave him here to work it out on his own" quality. 'Course, I need to actually see it finish to be sure he doesn't gently caress things up again.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

The Gorp posted:

The problem is they dropped the ball and didn't think of anything to give her. She's just a milquetoast gardener who talks with a soft voice because they took away elements of her character without replacing them with anything substantial.
Haru was made worst girl, and that's a darn shame.

It doesn't help that she's brought into the Metaverse and introduced as the next party member before we actually learn much about her. Her awakening is less satisfying than the others because we were essentially told it was going to happen, but given only a lightly sketched reason why.

It would have been better if she encountered the group while doing her own investigation or otherwise being proactive about her situation. There's something perfunctory about her as it is--they needed another playable character and so they dropped one in, giving her a rushed introduction and a vague connection to the plot.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

Palace 5 spoilers: Haru makes me glad I have the Japanese voices DLC. Goddamn her English voice is grating. When will they understand that Western audiences loving hate squeaky-rear end voice acting?

They were doing so well with the voice cast before then too. :mad:

Seriously, Ann, Makoto, and Futaba all sound like young human women, and just about everyone in the main cast hits the mark in terms of acting, but then Haru shows up to channel the spirit of Fuuka Yamagishi.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I thought the same thing (and was pissed after following a guide for many many hours before discovering I'd made an error), but he comes back. Have you also cleared all your Mementos quests? That's the main thing that blocks his progress, and probably the reason why they chose not to require correct answers or a matching persona to rank him up.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Who would win in a fight, Doctor Who or the Phantom Thieves

"You were able to do two things every day. You must have had a Time Lord working for you. Answer me!"

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

Clarste posted:

People keep saying this sort of stuff, but it sounds absurd to me.

It's "Dojima was going to be the killer until late in development" all over again. I'm thinking the character art and maaaaybe the love for shoji were originally intended for Okumura's daughter, and were recycled for a confidant when it was decided to go in a different direction for the seventh party member.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

Endorph posted:

the phrasing in the artbook is literally 'hifumi (and they use her name, hifumi, implying she would have been basically the same character we know) was planned to be a party member in addition to haru' but okay dude

Eh, maybe. This is kind of a pointless debate, but I have trouble picturing them putting a lot of effort into one more character/dungeon when the story was already faltering by the time they got to Haru's. I don't think they could have gotten very far before they realized someone was going to have to go.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

Sefal posted:

1st palace I remember loving up a day by almost making it to the treasure room, low on sp, Thinking alright, Boss is up ahead, just going to go home and fight the boss tomorrow. After I went in. I was kicked out within 10 minutes because I needed to send the calling card.

That was fun.

I'm not sure why that happened to so many people given that the game warns you before every miniboss and that you've already been thrown out of the palace a couple times.

E: and that there's a safe room immediately beforehand where you can save.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

There’s already a non-evil cognitive Akechi who was part of the plot; just have him turn into a real boy due to the power of friendship. Problem solved.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

There’s already one too many party members/dungeons and more women than men, but good job on getting one more waifu in there Atlus.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

Feels Villeneuve posted:

After a lot of complaining online about Persona 5 I will probably buy Persona 5 Royale with Cheese

I will probably buy the limited edition with curry plate plushie.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

Feels Villeneuve posted:

spoiler morgana dies in p5r

Day one purchase

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

Zore posted:

He also is the one who kills the train conductor and kills hundreds of people on the train as a consequence in the opening along with the dozens of other people who explicitly died when he killed their unconscious.

Wait, hundreds of people died? I thought even the conductor had only minor injuries.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

You’ll be happier if you don’t hold out any hope that they’re going to so much as consider changes to the localization.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I’m not sure I’m cool with Atlus just making up arcana for new confidants. There was at least some basis for Aeon and Jester.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

Cuntellectual posted:

Naoto is also not shown to have any particular romantic feelings for Kanji, so :shrug:.

Yeah, as interested as he might be, the game doesn’t do anything to hint that there’s a promising relationship there. That would both complicate any potential MC/Naoto romance and spoil the trope of the dumb guy in love with the oblivious girl.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

CJ posted:

Is my browser acting up or is the animation meant to look that poo poo?

The clips that have appeared in other videos have looked better, so maybe someone uploaded the wrong file.

It doesn’t have quite the impact that the “Wake Up, Get Up” movie had, but I like it.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

The principal/train scenes are still in

Were they in a trailer, or is this just your assumption?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

Ulio posted:

What are the Jose mechanics?

Collect stamps (limited, roughly one available per floor) and trade them to Jose for big increases in the money, experience or items you can farm in Mementos.

He also runs an item shop (for flowers, also collectible in Mementos but more plentiful) and can do some poo poo with the special new accessories you can find in palaces.