Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Ryuji's by the stairs just outside your classroom, yeah. Ann's in the Underground Mall at Shibuya; just quick travel there and she's right in front of you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Endorph posted:

5. It's pretty random what payout the enemies give, it seems like. I've had one enemy give me 200 yen and another of the same type give me like 7000.

I feel like it;s based on the personality listed in the top-left corner, which is the only thing really randomised about negotiations this time

Speaking of negotiations and being random though, does anyone know what Ann's rank 5 ability even does? It says it sometimes reduces demons demands during negotiations, but after recruiting almost enough for the Negotiation trophy I can safely presume they're not in this game so... :iiam:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Presumably so you can still take 'em to date spots to get things for your room.

anime was right posted:

the reason why he has captain kidd in the first place.

Neither of them are actually bad guys but were unfairly branded as such? The real Captain William Kidd wasn't actually a pirate; that's just historical slande--

anime was right posted:

ryuji is seen reading shounen manga in a couple of scenes. his personas are based off one piece and dragonball

...oh :saddowns:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Kalsco posted:

second boss

Alright, so:

The Paintings are pretty boringly simple, honestly. The Eyes use Fire/Ice/Wind/Elec attacks and drain those elements while being Neutral to everything else. The Nose... I don't know, twitches wasting its turn and then dies, or rez's one of the Eyes with less HP than single hit deals if it somehow doesn't. It drains Nuke/Psy/Bless/Curse so presumably it uses those if given the chance. The Mouth uses Phys skills so it drains Phys and Gun and is Neutral to everything else. Azazel himself is Neutral to everything because he's the actual boss and Madara-Megido (good name a+) deals fixed damage so it's never going to be a threat.

Orobas comes with Marakunda if you've put any effort into the Hierophant S.Link, at all (with the revamped S.Link EXP, 1 rank is probably enough); use that on the Painting then have Ryuji use Rampage and Yusuke use Vicious Strike. The Mouth will drain both but it's inconsequential really. Ann or Morgana can heal either of those HP costs if you want, attack the nose with Agi/Garu respectively or Ann can cast Tarunda on an Eye if you're feeling antsy. The Eyes are probably most dangerous because of their ability to hit weaknesses but neither of them can do much about that. The Paintings won't drop anyone in one round outside of chaining weakness hits and getting a lucky crit from the Bite so second turn comes around and Joker can join in on wailing on dudes. Just keep the relevant drains in mind and the Paintings all drop at this point and Azazel comes out for two rounds. His first turn is always Madara-Megido and his second is splitting into the Paintings again.

They add the all-weaknesses Paint ailment thing here, then stack a Rakunda on whoever got hit and then probably kill that person but Revival Beads are common now, and Tae sells good revival stuff anyway AND the game hands you a Recarm skill card in the palace just in case. Just repeat what you did before and it won't be a big deal. If Azazel gets to split again, you can send someone (Yusuke) out to throw the all-weaknesses Paint on the Paintings which works absurdly well given all the multi-target skills you definitely have at this point and with Marakunda, they should all get one-shotted pretty effortlessly (it overrides their Drains so use whatever). Azazel won't get a chance to split again and realistically won't get a third Paintings cycle anyway. He's kind of made of paper, appropriately enough. :v:

E; And, yeah, I know you steamrolled the fight already. Just hopefully a better synopsis of it than anything else available, because, yeah, general internet stuff is pretty bad.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Apr 10, 2017

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Things that are bad amount Mementos:

- It's explicitly just loving Tartarus. Again. They didn't even try to obfuscate it with this repeat.
- That music is an 8 second loop comprised of 7 notes in the most dull manner imaginable; it sounds unfinished really.
- The subway design was interesting at first but it's clearly never changing and it got old really quick
- It exists as a place to grind but isn't even good for that since you unlock things to grind on AFTER they stop being useful!
- It doesn't even give good vendor trash as a way to get quick and easy money.
- It can't make up for that with Treasure Demons because there's no Awareness meter AND no random things to break to make them spawn
- Good luck getting Negotiation Cash out of it, since you're so far ahead of the curve for the things you unlock as a matter of requirement you'll be banking on something getting scared and wanting to negotiate out of random chance.
- The third path, at least, combined bad aesthetics with an awful color palette. Oh boy, piss yellow levels and That Music is like a miniature, semi-personalised hell.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

ApplesandOranges posted:

P4 Temperance is bottom of the barrel for me because the only emotion it evokes for me is apathy. I might dislike things like P4 Tower or P3 Moon, but at least they get a reaction.

Eri is really boring, for sure, but she stands out in my memory because of that. She's so out of place with her problem being "im a stepmom!" in comparison to everyone else and it's just uninteresting in how its dealt with that it makes her more interesting conceptually. It doesn't help the link at all, mind, but it makes her more memorable than Devil Nurse or Saki's Brother Hanged Man at least.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Keisuke and, uh... the rival school athlete kid (I can remember Gourmet King's real name but this dude is a loving blank spot in my memory...) aren't helped by getting replaced with infinitely better dudes in Portable. Like, sure, Star gives you Helel ben Shahar at the end but why would I deal with that guy when I could date Akihiko instead?? This isn't even a choice, really.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

TheFireMagi posted:

I'm still not entirely sure how the money calculation for that works

Presumably the same as for every other game with a compendium; level affects it somewhat but the bulk of cost comes from what skills it has. The problem THERE is that skill values aren't immediately obvious or even related to how good they are.

Edit:

There's usually some degree of logic or consistency to at least when you GET skills, but P5 I've noticed plays fast and loose with that kinda thing. Elemental break skills by the end of Palace 1/start of Palace 2, Marakunda at level 19, the ability to break Tetrakarn and Makarakarn before they even come into play... hell, I managed to find Null Nuke before any other elemental resist of any kind (outside of Lockdown and Dodge skills don't really count) AND before any enemy has had Nuclear skills. It's just so weird how it handles this stuff this time around. Probably because it can get away with it since the levels that skills are learned are all over the map, too. The revamped S.Link EXP doesn't even guarantee you get everything out the gate on all but the toppest of top tier stuff now, either, until you get enough Fool ranks to boost it at least. Even if it did the old "actual value doesn't matter; it gives half S.Link rank in levels" that would probably be a bigger detriment honestly.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Apr 10, 2017

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Yes. Also, hold triangle.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Haru's All-Out Attack victory splash screen is almost the best. It would be top if Morgana's wasn't untouchable.

Endorph posted:

yeah having an entire dungeon where you just get a navigator is kinda lame

Honestly, having a dedicated Navigator at all at that point feels like a step-back. Morgana can pull double-duty and he doesn't even have a really cool UFO!

What doesn't help is with how each game puts the navigator recruit further and further in, it seems less and less likely to occur at face value. Fuuka was the second real Full Moon plot beat, Rise was the start of the midgame and now Futaba is approaching the end of it. I genuinely expect in a hypothetical P6 the "upgraded" navigator will be the last party member you get since that's the only way they can be a later addition now.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Sea Sponge Run posted:

So how much SP does the doctor's third accessory regenerate? 100k is a big asking price

Despite giving a skill that restores proportional value, it's a flat 7SP (which is obviously for balance reasons). Get Tae to rank 7 before buying though; that halves the costs of everything she sells.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

What's really weird about the return to making Expel... sorry, Bless/Curse not just instant death is that Eiha is everywhere on your guys in the early game (understandably because Arsene has it and all), but the enemy uses Mudo first. Meanwhiile for Bless I'm sure I probably just missed it somewhere but the easiest Kouha I found is from levelling up Angel who starts with Hama. But you run into Archangels in the first Palace who only have Hama out of the two and then you later run into Angels who say gently caress that noise and use Self-Destruct and it's amazing. Makouha is way easier to get, since Regents have all the first tier multitargets and Nigi Mitama has Makouha and owns in general.

Harrow posted:

Another thing I absolutely love: the instrumental version of "Life Will Change" that plays when you go in for your Treasure run. It's so perfect to get you pumped up for the final heist.

Yeah, Day of Decisive Action is really good and it always feels cool when it starts but I think it's best employed in Palace 2. The denouement there is the most appropriate thing, and that helps sell it even harder.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Average level has to be less than/equal to the base level of whatever you're trying to make. If it's over by even half it goes to the next demon of the race/persona of the arcana. That's how it works in (almost) every other game anyway; the ones that don't do that have some weird arcane extra nonsense to it.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

It feels really weird that that write-up completely ignored the fact that Ann gets Concentrate (and Fire Break for if you need that) and Yusuke gets the Baton Pass damage boosters. Pretty sure those two are Kind Of Big Deals, especially when you consider that each Baton Pass increases the effect so if you can get a full chain of 3, with Ryuji, Ann and Yusuke it doesn't matter who gets the final shot. They all (those three and Joker) have means to do absurd things with it. :shrug:

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Just a heads-up, if you dig that character like all good Persona 5 players should, her S-Link is gated by Knowledge 3. I basically went to cram school when I found out

It's worth getting as much Knowledge as possible anyway since you need to max it to finish Best Girl Hifumi Togo, so getting it to 3 for Second Best Girl Makoto Niijima is a nice midpoint bonus.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

socialsecurity posted:

Is there a multitasking confidant? Like could I watch a dvd and make some tools at the same time maybe? Or read a book instead of intently staring at the washing machine for the entire day.

Temperance sort of does that if you pay her 5000 Yen to like do your laundry or make coffee instead, and I think she also eventually lets you do a Palace/Mementos and something at night which is cool.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

It's great that he just happened to have that on him when he dropped in the Metaverse for the first time, yeah.

Even better is that Haru uses axes and grenade launchers though. :allears:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Lakbay posted:

I've never actually made curry, what are the in-game benefits?

Leblanc Curry? It's a full party SP restore.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Lakbay posted:

Is that gated behind Sojiro's confidant? I'm guessing so because I was confused when Temperance mentioned it and I haven't gone past 4 for Sojiro

Are you sure you're at 4 with Sojiro? You can make it at that point, if not. Getting to 4 from 3 is a massive, MASSIVE slog of a grind because rank 5 is plot gated.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Morgana really only complains about sleeping during the time between one palace's deadline and the start of the next one's proper mission, I noticed. That made July in particular a pretty awful month, though, of nothing but cutscenes, short one-beat days and then "Let's not do that today" over and over and over and augh. It's always kind of annoying and bad but it felt like it was almost all of July which is a bit much.

Mr E posted:

How do I do this?

Buy the busted laptop at Akihabara then go to the second-hand store by Leblanc. They'll sell you the tools you need to repair it.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

I tried, I knew it was wrong to do so, I nearly didn't... then I faltered and did. :negative:

It was totally worth it, though.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

No Mods No Masters posted:

I'm prepared to be crucified by these rowdy posters for stating the harsh facts: Goro isn't a good boy, and he may in fact even be the worst boy

Goro wears a grandpa sweater for his casual attire. He's a good boy.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Kinda figured. Spoilers continued. I'm thankful that him being a traitor isn't even a twist. Like someone in the thread mentioned the pancake line which I glossed over but even without that they kinda play him being a piece of poo poo on the nose.

It's kind of great that Goro being the traitor is so blatantly obvious and not at all a twist; this guy who's been actively antagonising us, shown to be conspiring with people who are ALSO antagonising us, forces himself into the party and mandates that we go after Sae for no reason is a mole?! Well I never! It kind of distracted everyone from the massive amounts of Real Spoilers in general though, which is why Goro being so blatantly shady owns.

Atomic Robo-Kid posted:

I'm the weirdo that loved Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2.

Just because they're not quite as good as King Abaddon or Nocturne doesn't mean they're bad. They're still very, very good and awesome

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Alder posted:

He can be both!

"Friends nowadays get THAT close to each other?"

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Kurtofan posted:

How do you read at home?

Books? The bar at Leblanc when there's no customer's around. It's just next to the phone.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

That's clearly the intended reason (for most of the game) why MC death is game over.

unseenlibrarian posted:

The fact that the english version of the Maid Teacher's "Becky" voice sounds enough like her Yukari voice from P3 that I did a double take at first just makes me assume that this is an AU where her modeling career never took off.

And with the reporter being voiced by Amanda Winn Lee who voiced Yukiko as well, that has some, uh, interesting implications from that line of thinking.

And best girl Hifumi Togo is voiced by Eden Riegel which is quite the 180 from being double-worst girl Marie in a game full of nothing but worst girls.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

The thing is the game for the most part is MC in that room recounting how he got there meaning he never actually died.

Which is why it's a game over. You're way overthinking this.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Josuke Higashikata posted:

then gets back on the ball pig and instead of being able to knock him off with attacks for some reason, you have to give him an item

Uh, he's still targettable like before. You don't have to do anything.

Really, by the time the second cycle comes up you can just ignore Bael too and focus on, and almost certainly beat, the tank since beating that ends the fight. It's real boringly simple. The most straightforward generic boss fight of the bunch by far, really.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

FractalSandwich posted:

Merciless is meant for NG+, for the record. I don't think it stops you from using it on your first run, but I really don't recommend it.

Eh, I'm using it for my first run and even with the EXP deficiency it's not too bad. Even that doesn't matter all that much in practice; I've managed to maintain pretty consistently around the APL (either just below or exactly equal to) for any given Palace without actively grinding for it at least. The most threatening fight on paper so far has been the first miniboss of Palace 4... because it just randomly had Dynes and Ma-dynes which no one before or since has had?? Turns out that was a fight I couldn't lose if I wanted to though. :v:

Honestly, aside from, like, the Archangel in the first Palace there's nothing that's much of a real threat at all. Even that was because I was an obstinate rear end and refused to leave until I was done (so I had like zero SP across the board and barely any healing items left going into it). Then he ended up having a simple pattern and crumpled pretty quickly like nothin', so...

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Apr 11, 2017

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Jimmy Hats posted:

Whata the name of the track that plays in palaces after you send the calling card and are on the way to steal the treasure?

Day of Decisive Action

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Josuke Higashikata posted:

this took me actual MINUTES in photoshop. minutes!

Wish I could, but I'm at work so... deal with it, y'dumb cat car human.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Girl from another school, one of the later party members or both.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Yusuke is definitely coded gay even if they never explicitly come out and say it outright (and try really hard at times to go "NO HE'S TOTALLY STRAIGHT HONEST!").

The ones that are explicit about it are either those awful stereotypes in Shinjuku or one of your teachers who super casually mentions it offhand and that's actually really cool.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

I really wish Yusuke moved into Leblanc for more than a single night. It would've been nice to have a roommate who DOESN'T yell at you to go to sleep at 8pm most nights.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Captain Baal posted:

Morooka getting drunk was funny

Morooka was funny

Rip Morooka

Morooka was unironically one of the nicest and most likable dudes in P4.

And then he gets iced by some lovely kid braining him with a CRT or whatever the gently caress Mitsuo did to """copycat""" throwing dudes into the TV realm.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

The English version of the MMO is a Persona 2 reference, yeah. That's a localisation quirk because it's referencing the actual novel that predates all the games, and so also the first 2 MegaTen games period. The MMO is titled Devil Busters Online (referring to Megami Tensei II), and the handles for the MC and teacher are N-jima and Y-ko respectively referring to Akemi Nakajima and Yumiko Shirasagi, the two leads of the novels and Megami Tensei I.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

The Gorp posted:

This is why Sin Bullet was so disappointing to me.
It's a total cop-out and something like this would have been cooler. Let a established mechanic win the day, don't just summon satan-tron to shoot god for you.

Why it's gotta be one or the other? Just do Endorph's idea as the leadup to that.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Roobanguy posted:

thats how these persona 3+ games always end though? show all finished social links, get super powered persona, go into skills menu and end the game.

Hell, even Persona 1 has Hieroglyphein which is basically the same thing for the Pandora and Nyx fights, though you can theoretically miss it but it makes up for that by letting you use it whenever you want since it's Amon-Ra's rank 8 skill.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Zore posted:

Devil lets you buy all items/accessories from the start for instance,

I think this one's kind of interesting. Didn't see that one coming, since her confidant bonuses are designed around keeping the Alert meter down. I guess I can kind of see the logic in it.

I do wonder what Fortune can give for NG+ given that her abilities are all based around going to see her in Shinjuku which is kind of not possible for a while. Same with Temperance for that matter (though it's probably the ability to ""skip"" class and read/make infiltration tools for her).

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Oh, that makes more sense but gives even less reason to care about Ohya's stuff. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Serf posted:

Forget or whatever rules. Ryuji also got a physical spell that has a chance to inflict Despair on the whole enemy team which, as it turns out, loving rules.

Despair is absurdly good the best of times. Then at level 35 you can get Arahabaki who repels Phys and Gun AND starts with the MT Despair spell and everything dies forever. :getin: