Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
im going to buy this game and kiss goro on the mouth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
It is here I'll admit I'll be playing with the japanese voices.

i'll let you all know if this increases my skill at the game

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Luna Was Here posted:

That guy preordered on the 7th and he got his today.

I preordered on JUNE 7th and I still don't have mine

there are a moments a single shipped order can make a fanbase lose their mind

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yeah I was playing Hitman until I got Yakuza which I played until Zelda which I will play until Persona

it actually really sucks that games are good

anyway, my choice to play with the japanese dub is mostly because what I've heard of the English dub sounds kinda boring? Like not bad, just real whatever?

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
actually, i'm going to be playing with english audio but with japanese text

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
haru's gundress persona is good, but lets not forget the actual motorcycle persona and ann's hot victorian dom persona

Yeah I'm gonna have to become Hifumi's blood brother instantly cause I want to use everyone in this game

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Too busy playing Zelda, will get around to Nier once I'm done with that and Persona 5
exactly same

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
We're never getting a Persona 2-esque adulthood focused game and sometimes we have to move on

I'm honestly not expecting this to be much more than a A Really Good Persona Game, which sounds super dumb when I say it out loud, but i dunno I'm trying to temper my expectations a bit I guess considering that I've cooled a bit on P3/P4. All I realistically want out of The Next Persona is better character writing, an overworld that's more than like three screens while still keeping a good vibe and a story with a better twist/solution that isn't really stupid I've already basically spoiled myself ON the twist cause I'm an idiot but I'm looking forward to see how the whole thing is handled

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
usagi's also like in middle school so it's way weirder

also for some reason i thought mamoru was in college i have no idea why

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
oh duh, I blanked when you said he skipped grades so i remembered him being like 19, which is Oofa Doofa

i need to fully watch sailor moon

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Endorph posted:

sailor moon crystal season 3 is pretty decent if you want a quick injection of sailor moon. don't watch the first two seasons tho.
i was honestly considering just watching the original tho that might be dumb. i remembering being so excited for crystal and then so bummed, glad season 3 is good tho

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yeah I have no idea why teenagers WOULDN'T be into Persona. It's incredibly identiftable with it's broadstrokes yet specific characters and got that good occult poo poo. Like Eriko from Persona 1 was not that weird for how much she was into mind demons and fighting other demons.

Like I remember being a very very young teen when Persona 4 came out and seeing screenshots in whatever gaming magazine i had and thinking that a "realistic" kinda RPG looked rad as hell. Like I was super into EarthBound so seeing poo poo like A Normal Japanese Town and Yu reading books in his room was cool to me.

wizard on a water slide posted:

is a huge part of the audience for the persona games and jrpgs in general not adults, tho, at least in north america and europe?

I just can't imagine actual teenagers giving a poo poo about this franchise
I feel like part of what they meant is that it's exactly expected to see Persona nerds all into an adult themed puzzle game just cause it's still Atlus. Like yeah they're the same universe or whatever but Catherine was billed as such a different thing.

Endorph posted:

you should really peep season 3 for the animation if nothing else, it looks really nice since they brought on new staff

as for 90s sailor moon it's fun even to this day but you gotta be willing to skip an ep if it seems like filler and you aren't digging it. otherwise you'll just get bored.
Word, i'll look into it, thank you!

and yeah I remember trying to watch original sailor moon years ago and like the first ten episodes are just usagi solo goofing up fights, which it's kinda cool that it's a slow burn but also not

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I liked Strange Journey, but I tapped out around Sector D cause man i just couldn't do that anymore. I really liked the story and wish I could see it out, but I'm good. It not being numbered really helps my dumb completionist brain, plus I still gotta get to 4 and 4A

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
i thought I was a weak gamer and would never beat Nocturne even tho I beat SMT I and II before it but I did it and proved I had a strong gamer soul

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

freshlybaked posted:

Really wished being able to swap out people mid-battle wasn't locked behind a social link, let alone one that's not even a main character.
maybe I misunderstand the description and Baal can correct me but you get the ability for the protagonist to swap out active and reserved party members just from meeting her. Rank 10 just lets anyone do it in their turn. There's a bit of hoops to meet Hifumi like having Rank 2 with Yusuke and having a Charm stat of 3, but you're gonna do all your party member links anyway and a Charm of 3 nearly three months into the game sounds pretty doable.

If anything Moon sounds like the SLink to focus on for that sick EXP boost which my dumbass min/max brain needs

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Deified Data posted:

The central cast was great but the NPCs were all distractingly bad. I ended up settling for the dub simply because I wanted to keep up with banter and poo poo but the random quest givers made me work for it.
Ignis' voice was the only one that I didn't really love, but yeah I want the idle battle dialogue. The NPCs were loving wild tho

People hated Promptos japanese voice but I really think they just never saw an anime with the cheery character archetype. Prompto yelling "Arigatou, chocobo!" when you getting off one rules

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yeah mines still good too

but lmao this game is never coming out

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
im only going to buy the persona 1 and 2 dlc outfits and hopefully the if... outfits. i won't buy the SMT IV and Raidou ones cause I'm an idiot who hasn't played them yet

I'm a bit bummed about them stretching the DLC releases out tho, cause like, i know my blistering dumbass is gonna tear through this game and what am i gonna do, replay the 90 hour jrg again for the swimsuit dlc???

maybe

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
holy poo poo I didn't even think about the Persona 1 DLC giving me Lone Prayer for every fight

GOTY

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
aaauuuuuuugh,......,,,, a Games's Master........

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
you could watch the godfather in the time it took you to get to the first free day in Persona 4 so im glad 5 lets me squeeze the godfather 2 in there

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Weird! But yeah after playing Zelda for three weeks, I can take a dub that flows well as long it sounds like this isn't everyone's first time reading the script.

also super nitpicky but yeah I'm really not wild about that font

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Ineffiable posted:

Going back to that gm thing, it's entirely a decent point because even gaming darling Zelda was lambasted for a pretty slow and lengthy tutorial in skyward sword and Twilight Princess.

And on the other hand, to be fair, if you buy persona 5, you're in for a long, long haul. 5 hours is nothing when a normal playthrough might take you 100 hours. Like for Zelda, those long tutorials at 3 to 4 hours might represent almost 20 to 25% of a standard playthrough.

For persona, 5 hours of tutorial would only represent 5% of your standard playthrough.
At this point, it's hard for me to imagine a modern Persona game that doesnt take like four hours to get you thru the Spooky Velvet Room intro and First Day At School and Weird Mystery Happening and Deciding To Do Something About It and First Time In Strange World and Join A Team, like it's just kind of locked itself in that, unless they do a Persona 1 style thing where you start everyone doing an urban ritual bloody mary game to get personas and weird poo poo starts happening literally 10 minutes and everyone just "ah cool"

Also your Zelda example seems to imply that Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword are like 12 - 15 hour games, when they're more like 30 or 40, maybe even 50 if you're a completionist. The problem with those tutorials is that it's doing constant explanation of poo poo like Herding Goats and Feeding A Cat where Persona you're just watching cutscenes and selecting choices sometimes so you can really just set the text scroll auto and check your phone. i've started many new games on p4 and done exactly that

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Ineffiable posted:

Twilight Princess and skyward sword do have tutorials that are way more interactive than your persona 'tutorial'
yeah that's what im saying. Because they're so interactive and force you to engage with, it's waaaaaay more arduous.

With Persona idk i'll just sorta fall asleep

Like I know Persona 5 (first 20 minutes spoilers) starts in media res and that's a fun change but also im ready to spend like three weeks ingame getting introduced to shop owners and social link people cause dems the brakes

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Captain Baal posted:

Hell, you don't even get stealth for like four hours in, it's pretty dumb.
laughing a bit that it takes a bit for a group called The Phantom Thieves to think of using stealth

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
You'd really think that there'd be some detection that if you were doing a New Game+ save and/or picked like Risky difficulty, they'd get those first couple hours moving a bit faster, but whatever RPG tutorials are weird.

also someone remind me to keep rolling saves this time cause like twice in P4 I had to replay a month cause I forgot to buy an important book or some poo poo

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Maybe they don't have their name yet by that point.
i mean yeah probably, but also its funny that in a game about doing heists in catsuits, stealth is a later addition than you'd think

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
yeah i checked on gamefaqs idily last week and there's already a Break Down Every Calendar Day For Max Social Link guide.

I'm tempted to use it, but im a strong gamer

e: goro loving rules motherfucker

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
tell me about goro cause he's far away my favorite boy

i like him much more than the girls tbh

DoubleDonut posted:

Massive step down. The animations are very glitchy and the plot's a big rehash of the previous games. And they only introduced, like, two new types of aliens
Also I hear the bad guy is just being controlled by a secret bigger bad guy the whole time

wait i confused myself

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
if you want that, then do english voices with japanese text

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Captain Baal posted:

Goro is the most popular loving character in the game, I ain't gotta tell you poo poo
gently caress yeah

who at atlus said "yo let's make naoto but hot and cool and not bad in combat? cause i love em

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
For real tho, I cannot stop listening to Beneath The Mask. I feel bad I've spoiled a lot of the music for myself but gently caress man it's tight

Captain Baal posted:

Mementos is loving bad and I hate that it's in the game at all

It is seriously one of the lower points of the game

But yes here is the music, it drones on forever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLPHCZv4kPM
this tho, im actually laughing at how much this kinda sucks

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Raxivace posted:

About three weeks ago I went to take my recycling bin inside from my curb, only to realize that it was gone. There was a full bin in my neighbor's yard, but it was filled with trash that was not mine. The bins of all of our neighbors at this time were empty. I searched high & low across my house and neighborhood for my own bin and could not find it. Later in the day, the bin mysteriously reappeared in my yard, and it was now empty too. I sneaked over to the neighbor's house, and their bin was also empty too.

tithin, what do you supposed happened to my recycling bin for that stretch of time it was missing?

wrong frequency, colonel campbell

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
im sad Ann apparently falls behind cause it'd just be Ann/Makoto/Goro for me

maybe it'll be better than P4 tho where I swapped in Kanji for Chie and literally never used Teddie or Naoto

I can't remember my P3 team but I dont think I ever swapped out Mitsuru either

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Captain Baal posted:

Fwiw the most worthless chars in P5 (Ann/Haru, basically) are still more useful than the most worthless P3 or P4 chars, in gameplay.

Morgana and Futaba do double duty after she joins, Idk what your hate boner for her is though.
oh hell yeah

CharlestonJew posted:

this isn't a super intense tactical game or anything, if you want to put your waifu on the team then do it dammit
true, but if im not min-maxing my first playthru then what am i DOING

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Neeksy posted:

Is there a good/quick explanation of the kind of tactical roles the characters play in battle and which ones end up outclassing the others? I've been reading a Japanese strategy wiki, but it takes me a while to translate their character analysis sections.
the OP does a good job going over what each character does in battle, enough to know if a team you have in mind has enough varied roles. there's also a list on gamefaqs of what skills what characters get at what levels if you want that

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

real mad Haru isn't this game's navigator cause she's the character im least into and i'd kill to use futaba and her ufo

also i don't care for morganna at all but literally anyone has to be better than teddy

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Mar 28, 2017

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
It seems like a Final Fantasy X deal where once you unlock through the social link, on the protagonists turn, you can sub out a party member for one in reserve. No idea if that takes up the protagonists turn tho

I haven't played the game so idk

Evil Canadian posted:

Is Makoto the best character.

She uses like giant brass knucks and revolvers so I think she's the best character.
you also forgot her persona is just a motorcycle that she rides and she hates the rich

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
PS4 owns imo, many good games, please don't buy a console for one game

Andrast posted:

Good. Chie sucks.

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Mar 28, 2017

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I bought a vita so I could play old jrpgs in bed.

sounded dumb at the time but hell if it hasn't paid off

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
god I really want goro but with prompto's voice

prompto's voice was the best but his JPN voice was so loving good, him yelling "Arigatou, chocobo!" when getting off a chocobo will never leave me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
that and him going "OOOOOOOOOOOO....hajimemashite [lil hand wave] when he sees the baby chocobo was godlike

I never got too far into 15, but I kept switching between english and japanese. I liked the English for the Ah, These Are My Friends aspect, and everyone's voices were pretty good, i liked how whiny and lovely Noctis could be, but japanese cause I wasn't real big on Ignis' English only british affect and jpn Prompto was a delight