Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Captain Oblivious posted:

I'm gonna send you like five long text mesage chains before the month is out about how we can't be sure I'll be fine.

i'm not going to read them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

Does this game have any connections to previous Persona games (besides Igor), or is it a clean break?

What I'm really asking is can I see Cool Adult Kanji?

You're going to have to wait for Persona 5 Arena.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Saagonsa posted:

(Dungeon 2 complaining stuff) I'm sure this has been said a lot, but I really really don't like how it forces you out of a dungeon after making a certain amount of progress. I get the general idea, but it's really bad in practice.

It's pretty bad in dungeon 2. Dungeon 3 doesn't do it at all though, so hopefully the rest of the game follows suit.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

So are All-Out Attacks not the optimal way to end fights? Why would you make their animation look so cool then

If you want exp it is.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I like Tora and think he's pretty neat even though i'm still pretty early on in his link. If there's a Confidant that hasn't grabbed me it's Mishima but I really want those sweet exp boosts.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Man, I wonder why I haven't seen many people talking about Hifumi because after a scene or two of her link i've decided she's incredibly good. Getting her and Makoto's link right after the 3rd dungeon was pretty great because i'm really liking both those confidants.

Also, I don't know if it's just me but the confidants, even the non-party ones, seem pretty decently integrated into the story. Like, not just with how every link you get a scene where Sae talks about how helpful these characters were for your crimes and everything, but more than a couple talk about the phantom thieves a bit as well and aren't just focused on exploring some characters that aren't really connected to the main story. Not all of them do this, but enough do that I feel it's a deliberate decision. A nice evolution of the Social Link formula.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

ApplesandOranges posted:

One thing that's great about P5 over P4 is that you have an actual debuffer in your party again.

Is Yusuke pretty much the Yosuke of this game, battle-wise?

Makoto's more like Yosuke I think. I'm still pretty early in the game, but she has decent physical skills, magic, healing, and buffing. She seems more like the all-rounder of the group. Though I think she's a bit better than Yosuke.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Happy Blue Cow posted:

Is Sojiro's S.Link just incredibly time consuming, in comparison to the other confidants, to raise or am I missing something? Hanging out with a Hierophant Persona only gives 2 points, he doesn't want any gifts, and he never appears in other events. C'mon old man :argh:

It takes forever and gets plot-gated for a bit after rank 4.

It's worth it for coffee and curry facts though. Also because he's very cool.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Yusuke is the best girl and I'm sad I can't date him.

Someone needs to catalogue all the evil smirks The Phantom Thieves give in this game.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Farg posted:

its bullshit we can't social link with lala escargot

:yeah:

Captain Baal posted:

He's bad and boring

It's kinda weird how I love basically every other character and social link, but Mishima is just real lame. I enjoy how many options you get to mess with him or insult him, but otherwise he's easily the weakest character so far.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

bewilderment posted:

Two questions:
1. Do I need to clear out all available requests before Mishima comes back to hang out? I keep looking for him but after giving me his desperation he's just not showing up.
2. Can I give gifts during 'rank up' conversations or are those only for when you're doing a non-scripted hangout?

I just finished the Third Palace and am not sure what I'm focusing on yet. Temperance, Sun, Death, Moon and Ryuji and then I'll probably do Makoto I guess, maybe after hanging out with Yusuke once more just to get him Baton Pass.

Thing is that I'm not sure I even have an Empress persona lying around, and additionally, I'm not sure what my best action is on a day when Hierophant won't rank up, Sun isn't available, Temperance isn't available, and I can't find Mishima.

If you're looking for stuff to do at night start the Star social link. It gives really good abilities and Hifumi is cool. Like a day after you beat dungeon 3 you should get a text from the gang that opens up Kanda as a place to go, and you should be able to start the confidant by going there at night though you need a charm of 3 and Hifumi's not there every day.

You could also start the Devil Confidant by visiting Ohya at Crossroads again, I don't think it requires anything and it gives a big charm boost like Tora which is pretty useful.

Edit: Also, i'm pretty sure Mishima's link is gated behind certain quests he gives you. Not all of them, but a couple. And he changes his location from Shibuya to Shinjuku around dungeon 3 which may have tripped you up.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

JT Jag posted:

Just to be clear, and I'm pretty sure that I already know the answer to this, but advisor is a translated senpai right

You mean with what the Thieves call Makoto? I'm pretty sure that's just because she's their tactical advisor, not a translation of senpai. Otherwise they'd probably translate it more consistently because people still call her senpai.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

ApplesandOranges posted:

He's at rank 7 and is checking to make sure of some dude's drinking schedule. I assumed that was a 'it's on hold til the plot progresses' lock.

It;s not quite plot-locked but it won't progress until he sends you a text one night to help investigate the dude. I think it's just like every few nights or so he'll send it? Maybe once a week?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Captain Baal posted:

I gotta appreciate how many opportunities they give you to poo poo on Yuuki.

Yeah, but it's a shame you need to hang out with him to get most of those opportunities.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Deltasquid posted:

Christ how are you people so fast. I've been playing all day since it came out basically and I'm only in late August.

Please keep cool end-game stuff spoiler tagged for us slowpokes. :(

That said, I don't like how all the phantom thieves are making GBS threads on Akechi so hard. He is my friend and I want to talk to him on good terms!

I mean he shits on the thieves as well. I don't really blame them.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

TheLoser posted:

Hope you like hanging out with naked old dudes.

Tora isn't naked.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Why are so many confidants locked by stats!! The justification for Yusuke's proficiency lock doesn't even make sense! And it's gonna be ages before I can date Makoto or Hifumi, because they're stuck behind level 5 stats when I've just barely gotten everything but proficiency to 4. I know i'm probably doing alright with time since school holidays have only just ended and I think i'm just over halfway through the game but still.

Plot seems to really be kicking into gear now though and i'm quite enjoying it. The Phantom Thieves are all ver cool dudes and the scenes with them hanging with Futaba were very good and cute. Also, Sojiro is an extremely good dad and might be my favourite character in the game. I hope he sticks around as part of the main plot since Futaba's mother looks to be super involved with the Metaverse and everything.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Ryuji needs to stop making GBS threads on Morgana. The cat is dealing with some big stuff and this is not helping bro. :(

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Mailer posted:

Man I hate the anti-grind autokills for enemies too low level. It doesn't stop you from grinding, it just makes it more of a pain in the rear end. This being my only real nitpick kinda shows how the game owns in general but it just seems like the sort of anti-QoL thing you'd not even bother implementing.

I like it because it just gives masks without having to deal with weaknesses or accidentally killing weak shadows you haven't collected, and it makes hoarding Mementos quests much less of a pain since you can avoid battles with weaker enemies as you make your way down. It'd probably be better if you knew which shadow you'd be fighting in the map, or if it was easier to get ambushes in Mementos but it's still solid I feel.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

naoki is honestly decent. it's not especially emotional but the idea that even if you aren't flinging yourself to the floor in hysterics or weren't that close to somebody who was in your life you can still experience a sort of quiet grief is pretty mature writing. the main issue is he's super easy to miss and all the hanged man personas kind of suck.

Naoki was one of my favourite social links. The story of a kid learning how to mourn the death of his sister and beating himself up over not being able to express it was sorta real to me? It was a good link.

Also, drat. Tora just called me the hell out!

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Is this really how they're going to end Ryuji and Morgana's argument? Like, Ryuji getting super pissed at Random rear end in a top hat for punting his bud and Morgana opening up to the group about his insecurities were good moments, but it's kinda weird there wasn't an apology.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Captain Baal posted:

That entire arc is loving stupid. It necessitates Ryuji be a dick and Morgana be a petty child over all of it so Morgana can run across Haru who is the key to them even being able to fight Okumura in a series of insane contrivances and Okumura being a huge piece of poo poo as well.

Yeah. I haven't really started palace 5 yet but even though i've seen so many people talk about dungeon 3 having the worst plot and villain, so far I kinda think this one's been worse.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Captain Baal posted:

They want to make bigger affairs of teammates joining than they used to and while I get that, I think it's fine to just have a guy join on their own sometimes.

There's no reason you can't have 2 characters join in the same dungeon anyway. I know it benefits from being in the intro where the characters and plot get a lot more time to breath and everything, but the 1st dungeon does it fine.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Mr E posted:

Was coffeedad's link gated behind beating the third palce to get it up to rank 3 or does he normally just take a shitton of hanging out with and making coffee to get from 2 to 3?

Coffee dad isn't locked at third palace but he is dealing with some poo poo and so you get only minimal points from hanging out with him or making coffee, and yeah it makes it take ages to rank him up. He does stop at rank 4 until dungeon 4 is done but after that getting new ranks becomes a lot quicker and the kindness boost gets bigger as well.

I'd say it's worth it though because he is a very good Dad with good coffee facts and you should be buds with him.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Harrow posted:

Are guns worth it for damage at all? Up through the second Palace I haven't upgraded my guns at all because I only use them to knock down enemies who are weak to gun.

If you just unload your entire clip into a guy you can deal pretty decent damage, and since it's multiple attacks per round there's a good chance you'll get a crit. I don't think it'll ever set the world on fire or anything though, but after starting the Iwai link you can upgrade your basic guns to pretty high levels with minimal costs. So I've been doing that and it doesn't seem to be too bad an investment.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Mr E posted:

Good, I wanna get his link to 10 along with most/all of the party members and probably the teacher. I'm focusing mostly on stats so I can 100% a NG+.

He gets a level 5 Kindness block at rank 7 though so prepare for that. So many good confidants get really high social blocks in like the mid-game and it sucks.

I don't think it's too hard to max stats this time around though since a bunch of confidants give bonuses to them and there's so many options to improve them. I've got level 4 in everything by September and i'm hopefully not too far from level 5 charm and knowledge.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Fulchrum posted:

Okay, I'm confused. Dd Kamoshida break Ryuujis leg and claim it was self defense because Ryuuji took a swing at him or not? I am certain he mentioned that Kamoshida broke his leg, but whenever he talks about what Kamoshida did to him he never once talks about that, so it feels like he's burying the lede there.

Yeah Kamoshida implies thats what happened. Ryuji doesn't talk about it much though because most of the times it comes up he's blaming himself for losing his cool, breaking up the team and causing problems for his mum.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Dr Pepper posted:

OK I'm level 29 can somebody tell me a persona that will give me the mid level Darkness spells.

Leanne Sidhe or however you spell it is how I've been getting my curse damage.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Ryuji spends the early game as an extremely cool and good dude but after about dungeon 3 when the group dynamic begins to solidify he becomes the idiot who gets carried away with things and makes bad decisions for the sake of comedy/plot, with only a few good moments in between. And dungeon 4 doesn't even have an adult for him to get incredibly pissed at.

I still like him though.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Junpei's good.

Edit: Ryuji is still better though.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Moltrey posted:

[ryuji, falling off his bike because he tried to take a corner too fast and skinning his knee cause wasn't wearing any protective equipment] loving akechi! loving lovely adults!

He's right about those adults.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Arist posted:

The guide for Strength is hilarious because for the last one it just goes "yo use a skill card"

The guide i've found says that for the last 4 requests. It's not a very good guide.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Moltrey posted:

"Akechi is not only creating bad publicity about us, but he's right on our heels and is going to run our lives!"

"Like, yeah but he's so cute though?"

It's hosed up that cops can be so pretty imo. It makes them harder to hate.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Dackel posted:

why can't I date Hanged Man

Because he's too cool for you.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Moltrey posted:

someone please hug makoto jesus christ

I don't have enough charm yet. :(

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

JT Jag posted:

I would play a Persona visual novel

Ah, Persona 4 Arena.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

slev posted:

I can't tell if fusion has a really high failure rate or if I'm just unlucky

You're actually lucky because I hear fusion failure comes with a good scene that I really want to see, but i'm 40 hours in and I haven't got it. :(

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Furnaceface posted:

Wait I thought the teacher wasnt a romance option, just like the doctor. If this is the case then I might push Makoto to NG+...

And Im going to need NG+ because I hosed up my timing and Im way behind in my stats and didnt realize you cant work on your team mates SLinks once you secure a path to the treasure (the only option that pops up is send calling card :argh:).

The doctor is also a romance option.

Is there a part in the confidant where Kawakami become really good? Because although I like her and enjoy just how bitter and done she is with everything, i've kind of put her link on the backburner in favour of other confidants and she seems to be a lot of people's favourite.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Captain Baal posted:

Sadayo's story in general is really good, there's no magic moment where it just happens. It either resonates with you or it doesn't.

Gotcha. Just thought I might've been missing out on a really good scene by keeping her on rank 4 for so long.

Atomic Robo-Kid posted:

Is it where the twins take a chainsaw to the shadows when the guillotine fails?

I had it happen twice during a Velvet room session. Made me go "What the fuuuuuuuckkkkk?!" out loud cause I had no idea.

Yeah, I think that's it. It sounds good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Push El Burrito posted:

Why the gently caress am I, leader and best one of the group, taking orders from a god damned cat? You know what, if I wanna go make some coffee I should go make some coffee I ain't gonna let some cat tell me "no wait you should go to sleep instead".

The Cat created this team and is your expert Phantom Thief mentor. He outranks you.