Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
This game kind of sounds like exactly what I hoped it would be, bringing back some of the battle complexity of the older Persona games and demon negotiation while modernizing JRPG features and iterating on the incredibly stylish art and design work of P3/P4.

Of all the badass stuff coming out in Q1 and Q2 2017 this is at the absolute top of the list

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I think it's important to keep in mind that Persona isn't just leaving in stuff like honorifics for the sake of slavish accuracy, but because the game is actually set in Japan and is about Japanese characters dealing with Japanese social problems.

Having characters in games that take place in fantasy worlds or medieval Europe analogues say "senpai" in English is weird and silly. In Persona, it's in the context of Japanese people having a conversation. They should make an American player feel the dialogue is more authentic, rather than "shameful" or whatever.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Is the PS3 version okay? A friend pre-ordered that one because she doesn't have a PS4.

Does it run like poo poo or have any showstopping bugs or missing content or anything?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
It feels like they made a few really smart realizations after the way the S Link system played out in Persona 3. Basically, it seems like when they were designing the first iteration, their intent was that different players would have very different experiences with the social aspect of the game and that nobody was supposed to max every S Link or see everything in one playthrough. So you had some agonizingly slow ones to advance, reversals, a really tight timeframe for a perfect run, and nothing that feels essential - i.e. party member Persona evolutions - gated behind S Links. The problem was that a lot of people missed a ton of content, and you had two play philosophies emerge: people who just sort of did whatever with S Links and didn't bother explicitly maxing more than one or two for their ultimate personas, and people who followed an exhaustive guide methodically to the letter.

Persona 4 seemed to embrace a totally different design philosophy, one that anybody who planned well and made smart choices could do a perfect or near-perfect run on their first playthrough, so that more players would get to see more of the game content they spent time writing. In return, they gated some more important game mechanics behind S Links, because it seemed more reasonable that every player would at least max several party members' and a few others besides, which made finishing your S Links feel more rewarding. Maxing lots of S Links was a much more realistic goal for a casual player, and a serious one could reasonably have a perfect run without using a guide.

Basically it's the same mechanic, but it feels like it has a different role and different consequences by design. It seems to me like 5 continues in the direction of 4.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Arist posted:

This game is gonna be worse than Nier

No need for this 2017 is shaping up to be an Epic Year in Gaming and its possible to like both games as well

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Catherine's a different type of game and for a different audience I imagine.

is a huge part of the audience for the persona games and jrpgs in general not adults, tho, at least in north america and europe?

I just can't imagine actual teenagers giving a poo poo about this franchise

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Endorph posted:

there are thousands of teenage girls who love this poo poo. it has cute boys and is about communicating with people. and it has good anime art. why wouldn't teenage girls love it.

because it's a mechanically complicated, 100 hour jrpg

Motto posted:

why wouldn't teenagers care about persona, I'm sure plenty of people here were when 3 or 4 came out.

that was 10 years ago, stuff also changes

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
like obviously im wrong since like fifty people jumped on me saying that but i also don't know that teenagers only like games about teenagers in high school

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Motto posted:

thankfully atlus has other franchises and games about teenagers not in highschool, and even adults

I didn't like strange journey or smt4 :/

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Has anybody here who's pre-ordered with a brick and mortar outlet contacted or heard from them since this broke?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
the best thing about suikoden and suikoden 2 (and definitely not about 3-5) is the exact opposite of the thing they're bitching about in persona; those games are short and quick to the point. it gives them a lot of replayability and it's a smart choice w/ the 108 character thing and how you can fail to recruit a few dozen of them.

so that dumb block actually makes a sort of sense, except for the screen being for the wrong game.

and also a game starting slow or being long isn't a good or bad thing, it's just a thing.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
as the actual Games Master I'm going to sue the hell out of those brits.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Ineffiable posted:

Persona 5 isn't going to be a perfect game for everyone

I do agree with the gist of your post and don't think you disagree with this, but it's important to point out that this is literally an impossible bar for a game to meet, because different people have different expectations.

Persona 5 is primed to be a gateway into the SMT series for thousands/millions of players, as previous Persona games have been but on an even larger scale, and I appreciate it taking the time to ease them in and understanding that not every game is supposed to be structured like Dark Souls.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Sorry if it came off like "how dare they think that" or something. All I was wondering about is if it's actually like, a massive step down or something or if it's not that bad. If it's plot leans more to the darker tone of P3 or if it's lighter and softer like P4's atmosphere.

Just small general opinions really.

persona 5 is good, dude.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Baal posted:

Hitler is not the final boss, sorry those of you waiting for his return

don't let this guy troll you.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Haru is cute :3

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Zore posted:

Morgana is never leaving my main party because animal party members are the best. :colbert: That was a serious, serious flaw in P4 coming off P3 imo and I'm glad they have rectified it.

erm... teddy is a bear, dude

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

:dukedoge:

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
it's weird to think koro is a joke character who "annihilates the game's tone", while having no issue with a cute robot teenager who learns how to love and a wise 10 year old

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Moltrey posted:

put me in the goro one cause i loooove goro

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Baal posted:

She isn't even a bad character, her personal story is competent and there's nothing wrong with her on writing, but she's just got nothing going for her. She's just a demure ojou-sama with a really boring character that has been done to death in this loving series and we did not need another one. Just imagine Mitsuru and Yukiko's S. Links combined and you have Haru, but she likes plants so I guess that's more than Mitsuru at least.

please be nice to my wife, mitsuru

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Amazon US offers release date delivery sometimes, but not on all items or to all locations, and they can and do still gently caress it up anyway sometimes

After my copy of Bloodborne failed to ship until late on release day I p much decided I wouldn't pre-order games I was really hype to play at launch there anymore

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I pre-ordered at gamestop bc I had some weird used garbage to trade-in anyway, so there's like a 0% chance I get to break street

what the h*ck was I thinking...

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

I know King Moron's replacement was guilty of this, but who else in P4 was like this?

e: oh yeah, the nurse lady too

Adachi, depending on how you define "sexual predator"

Like if attacking women because they won't sleep with you counts

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

bewilderment posted:

When my work day is over I'm going to go into a store and buy it like a regular human being, having not pre-ordered it and therefore not having to wait for any shipping.

otoh if you knew you were going to get it on launch day anyway, pre-ordering just means you get a cool steelbook for free. owned.

i'm going to gamestop here in about 30 to pick up my copy, they're doing that weird/silly thing where they can't sell it to tomorrow but they'll sell it right after the store hours end and roll the transactions onto tomorrow morning. i hope I don't have to wait in line

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Wrt "is this kind of thing normal in a Japanese school" chat, I went to highschool in the American south and one of the most ubiquitous rumors my freshman and sophomore year was that the star womens' basketball player was loving a basketball coach. I was two years younger and didn't play basketball, so I imagine pretty much everyone in the building heard it.

Obviously I have absolutely no clue if they had any kind of weird relationship at all, or (more likely) that it was just started by some dude she snubbed or one of the benchwarmers on her team, but my point is that I don't even think there's anything particularly Japanese about the initial story situation.

Also this game rules

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Josuke Higashikata posted:

i'm lost on the subway
this game hits too close to home
0/10
piece of poo poo
garbage

at least one person is going to take this game back or break the disc or whatever because they can't find the ginza line at the beginning

also my only complaint about the game so far is ps4 share screencaps being disabled

I had to take a picture of dog-loving girl and her excellent friend with my drat phone

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

ImpAtom posted:

I think it's a bit slower than P4 but better paced in that you're getting multiple tastes of dungeon stuff rather than backending it so heavily.

I agree with this. It feels like it takes longer for the game to open up (it hasn't for me yet and I'm somewhere between 4 and 5 hours in), but it does a much better job of gradually introducing mechanics, mixing in dungeon and combat gameplay with story development and place-setting, etc. I'm not sure how I'll feel about it on a replay, but the ability to skip cutscenes and fast-forward text (I never played P4G, maybe this was in that version) will certainly be a huge deal.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Heath posted:

Is the name "The Joker" related in any way at all to Persona 2? I assume no but it would make me happy because I'm one of the four people who likes P2 EP.

persona 2 (both halves) is a bad rear end game and people SHOULD care

this is in no way my attempt to grass roots build a movement to get them to remake persona 2 in the persona 5 engine or anything

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Baal posted:

I care about Persona 2

I care

Thank you.

Honestly, at like 5 hours in, I've noticed that it feels a bit more like Persona 2 than 3 and 4 did. I think the setting, the color scheme, and the return of some mechanics like negotiation and guns are making me feel that way. The fact that you're just basically fighting SMT demons again, too; I enjoy kicking Pyro Jack's rear end, and making him be my friend at gunpoint also.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

JT Jag posted:

My new favorite thing about this game is going "new number who dis" whenever a character texts me

I like that the early game fairly consistently lets you gently caress with Ryoji by pretending not to know things; my favorite dialogue choices in Persona 4 were the ones that involved screwing with Yosuke (like being eager to participate in the Miss Yasogami pageant)

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Moltrey posted:

i'll never get over how they say "Ann". Like I know it's a legit pronunciation, but I've never sincerely heard it said that way

it drives me nuts, arr

I think ann and ryoji might be my favorite versions of their character role VS p3 and p4 tho (the default girlfriend and main character's bro)

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Endorph posted:

exaggerations like this are part of why it's impossible to criticize a translation, lol. the tl's definitely stiff and worth criticizing but calling it 'nigh-unreadable gibberish' is just sheer hyperbole that makes everyone draw lines in the sand.

i have a long history of thinking people griping about "totally incomprehensible" or "gibberish" translations were often just kind of dumb people who were bad at reading critically or understanding/parsing unusual sentences, things written by non-native speakers, etc

this does nothing to deter that thinking on my part

EDIT: like in other words the weeb bitching is coming from people who may be trying to impress you with their knowledge of japanese, but end up inadvertently revealing that they're worse at english (or reading comprehension) than the translators

Baku fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Apr 4, 2017

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I was an inch away from putting Hugh Jass or something bc I thought the character would do it as a gag, then realized it'd mean reading the same joke for 100 hours

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
So I discovered something neat last night when I was doing the 2nd Palace.

The dumb miniboss you have to fight with Joker + Ryuji killed me due to a string of bad luck and bad weakness-guesses, and I was ready to scream because I would've lost a bunch of time to it, but the game let me retry from the beginning of that battle despite being on Normal.

A SMT game accounted for one of its "gotcha" moments and patted me on the head!

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Is Sojiro's S Link just slow as gently caress or did I mess something up bad

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
tfw you're playing a persona game and pick up that first sp regen item/skill and hit the sweet spot for being able to farm money and fill out your compendium

it's like getting the bat form in sotn or something

Zore posted:

Also it is insane how many mechanics are locked behind social link ranks.

I really like how they did this tbqh, time management and s links are half the gameplay and it gives them more tangible mechanical rewards than just a fusion xp boost

Baku fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Apr 7, 2017

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
OH, is there any reason you can't hang out in mementos forever and keep resetting it for treasure, personas, and money until you get bored if you can manage HP/SP regen? like is the reaper still just from chilling on a FLOOR forever?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

The Shortest Path posted:

Grind your heart out buddy, it's great.

Zore posted:

Oh, I agree. I was just surprised at how many new abilities I was unlocking through random people.

:yeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Axetrain posted:

I think I'm gonna go ahead and buy this as my first Persona game. I'm not spending 250$ on a PS4 just for this though, I assume the thread title is true and it's perfectly acceptable to dust off the ol' PS3?

The PS3 version is exactly the same game with slightly more loadtimes and less background noise crowd npcs iirc