Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

March Madness time! It's when everyone else decides to pay attention to college basketball.

Complain about how your team got screwed on the seeding, and how you had to google where Northern Kentucky is located. Good News! Florida Gulf Coast, last known as Dunk City, is back in the Big Dance.

Edit: Also this link shows the channel each team is on, but the image I thought was too big. http://www.ncaa.com/interactive-bracket/basketball-men/d1

Join our goon bracket at http://games.espn.com/tournament-challenge-bracket/2017/en/group?groupID=1734242

password: FuckDuke

Oh hey, UConn Women lost

Bird in a Blender fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Apr 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Man Wisconsin really dropped off there.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Don't know much about NMSU, but Baylor has been playing pretty bad lately. Could be an upset pick.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

5 Seed for ISU, best we could do. Don't know enough about Nevada though.

Would be great if we got Kansas in the Sweet 16.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

ISU playing in Milwaukee. I'm tempted to drive up from Chicago.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

You made it Mangles!

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

SpiritualDeath posted:

Remember Hallice Cooke? He's playing for us next year

That's good, I thought he had health issues. He was always close to being good enough to start, but just didn't quite put it together at ISU.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

pubic works project posted:

I'm phone posting so I can't really look it up. Were there any snubs this year?

For actually making the tournament? I don't think so. Everyone left out had pretty weak resumes.

For seeding, I think Arizona should've been a 1 over Gonzaga. FSU maybe too high at 3, but it's debatable.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

HanabaL03 posted:

I'm a Nevada alum, was in Vegas for the MWC Tournament. Let me know what questions you have. I'd like your breakdown of ISU as well if you don't mind.

Yea sure, I'd love to know more.

Iowa State Cyclones
Led by senior PG Monte Morris, he rarely makes mistakes and has the best assist/turnover ratio in the country for like three years running. Used to play a super up tempo offensive game, but it's a little slower these days. It's a team mostly focused on offense, and they shoot a lot of threes. They win because they also make a lot of threes. ISU is a little on the small side, with Morris, Burton, Thomas, and Mitrou-Long all 6'-5" and under. The tallest are Solomon Young and Darrell Bowie, both at 6'-8", but normally only see the court one at a time. Offense normally works around the perimeter looking for a three, or to open the lane for a drive to the basket. Everyone on offense but the big men can shoot the three, which is why they can spread defenses out. The tend to play 8 deep, and the offense averages 80.9 a game.

ISU has been bad at rebounding for a while, and this team is no different. Since they play a little smaller, and at the perimeter, they don't get that many offensive boards. Getting badly out-rebounded has cost ISU a few games, and if they don't shoot well things go south in a hurry because they don't create lots of second chances. Overall defense is average, giving up 72 points a game. There has been more focus on defense on Coach Prohm, making ISU a more balanced team.

The team had a pretty rough stretch at the end of non-con play, and beginning of conference play. Last few weeks though they have looked really good, and playing well together. Solomon Young took a while to get used to college ball, but is turning into an essential player on D. If the Clones start a game shooting well, then they usually win. They've also struggled to close out games though, letting some teams back in with a minute or two to go. May cost them in the tournament. Overall, it's a very experienced team, which tends to help in the tournament. I actually think they can be a Sweet 16 team, or Elite 8 if they really play at their full potential.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I updated the first post because the brackets have times now. ISU plays at 9 PM Central. I guess it beats the last two years of playing like the second game of the tournament. Just wish it was slightly earlier than that.

First game looks to be Notre Dame/Princeton.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Poque posted:

can Iowa State press at all? Because the key to beating Purdue is applying literally any scant amount of press

The only time ISU has ever pressed is when they're down late in a game, so desperation time. They do not play great defense, and they suck at rebounding.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Probably Magic posted:

I've had Gregg Marshall pegged for Mizzou for years.

Also, do we need a new GDT thread?

Yea, we'll need one. I think last year we did it by day or by round, can't remember. Might be good for one each day for at least the first weekend.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

^^^^
Didn't Marshall turn down big offers from better schools already too? I know Illinois and Mizzou both have some deep basketball history, but it seems like forever ago for Mizzou. Illinois has been downhill ever since they made the finals in 2005.

Probably Magic posted:

There's been so few posts about college basketball this year that it might be better one per weekend. I dunno, I put up a tester GDT, we'll see from there.

Competition welcome, of course, but bring your poll game.

Works for me. I guess we can always see how many posts we get on Thursday and judge from there.

Bird in a Blender fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Mar 13, 2017

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Grittybeard posted:

It was only five years ago Mizzou was a #2 seed (and flushed out of the tournament in the first round, but still they were one of the better teams in the nation). Which is insane, it certainly feels like it's been about 20 years.

Ha this was like exactly the same for ISU. Got bounced as a 2 seed and then spent the next 9 or so years being pretty bad. Hoiberg finally turned it around, and I'm hoping we don't go back.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Well don't keep it a secret.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Teams from those conferences are NCAA or bust. I don't think any of the runner ups even make the NIT from places like the MEAC.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Congratulations, you know nothing about college basketball, prepare to win your pool.

I guess you could use this article http://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/2017-ncaa-tournament-10-tips-to-help-you-win-your-march-madness-office-pool/

Or barring all else, model it on ESPN's People's Bracket, which is really just showing who most people are picking to win.

http://games.espn.com/tournament-challenge-bracket/2017/en/nationalBracket

There's a reason it's called March Madness, things rarely make sense.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Grittybeard posted:

Here's a straight link to the group by the way, if Bird in a Blender wants to throw it in the OP or something. It does not include the play in games which is why I was in a hurry just now looking it up, so we've got time to get more people in.

http://games.espn.com/tournament-challenge-bracket/2017/en_CA/group?groupID=1734242

Good point, I threw it in the OP.

Edit: And now it's also at the top of this page.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

MourningView posted:

https://twitter.com/coachingchanges/status/842039725963763713

It's me, I am The Unknowable Source

I'm not sure I even want this. It would be very funny on a personal level but I don't want Illinois to be good. How do they feel about stocking their roster exclusively with transfers who got kicked out of somewhere else following an arrest? Maybe he can't "recruit" as well there.

This time, I actually really do believe that Hoiberg is not going to leave his current team, especially for Illinois. I honestly wonder if Hoiberg will bother to continue coaching if the Bulls fire him, at college, or at the NBA level. He used to be a front office guy, and I would expect him to go back to that somewhere.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

MourningView posted:

He's super young still, would immediately be at the top of the list for basically every college job with an opening, and could command a big salary at that level, it seems pretty inevitable to me that it happens eventually. The worst scenario for me is that ISU completely tanks next year once they graduate all Hoiberg's players and cans Prohm to bring Hoiberg back

He's super young, but has a bad heart. I'm pretty sure he's stated before that sometimes he worries about the stress from coaching and what it does to him. It's the only reason I think he goes to a front office somewhere, possibly even back at ISU in the athletic department, but more likely in the NBA.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

^^^
I think he's going to Mizzou. Word is he already resigned from Cal.

Probably Magic posted:

Lemme tell you about this guy named Urban Meyer....

Yea, but Hoiberg has legit had multiple heart surgeries.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Someone at work sent out a last minute email to fill out brackets on CBS Sports, but their website has crashed. I guess it's going to be like the two people who got in before the crash competing this year.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Not sure if he threw a fit, but he did lobby to get interviewed before ISU hired McDermott. We know how that turned out later on though.

I would say that Hoiberg had better credentials than Gottlieb does though. Hoiberg at least played in the NBA, and spent time in an NBA front office. Gottlieb never made it to the NBA and has been an analyst for a long time, which doesn't really mean poo poo.

Bird in a Blender fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Mar 22, 2017

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Democrazy posted:

The woman's tournament was eventful yesterday, with 1 seeds Baylor and Norte Dame both going down. This is significant both because it shows just how competitive the women's game is getting, and because now the top three teams pegged as giving UConn the most trouble (ND, Baylor and Maryland) are now gone before UConn even sees them.

And UConn is expected to be a much better team next year.

I can't believe UConn women are actually supposed to be better next year, they already dominate everyone. It's probably obvious, but UConn is terrible for the women's game. Well, the general lack of competitiveness is bad for the game in general. It's not terribly exciting to watch when you know who's going to win.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Democrazy posted:

It's a real problem because is has no solution other than Auriemma losing his touch or other teams simply getting better. It shouldn't be a question of facilities, because if it was, other programs should be able to outspend UConn. And if it were recruiting violations, Pat Summitt probably would have found something when she alleged violations in the recruitment of Maya Moore.

So what do you do? Tell Auriemma to ease up? Tell the women playing for him that they should go easy and let someone else have a turn? There's no good answer there.

The answer will be other teams getting better, but that's a slow process. Other teams will only get better if you have more girls playing it in high school, thus expanding the amount of good women's players coming in to college.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

wicka posted:

There are like six million people in Indiana.

I imagine Kentucky and Kansas also have a very skewed amount of NCAA fans, but not NBA fans.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I feel like there is absolutely no way this works out, but who knows. I just don't see how Ewing is really that much of a draw, and I don't think he's going to be that good of a coach. He's going to have to be a fantastic recruiter, and then bank on getting really good assistants.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

What a terrible game to end the season on.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Yes, probably rename it. This thread is usually very slow in the summer.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I thought that ISU, Iowa, Drake, and UNI used to play a real tournament, but I think all they do now is the two smaller teams rotate which of the big teams they play every year. ISU and Iowa obviously play every year.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

What was the requirement before? Were there exceptions made if you were below 2.3?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

ISU is getting a forward from Nebraska. He's 6'-9" 240 lbs, so he'll and some size at least, which I feel is something ISU has struggled with for a while. Has to sit out a year though. Anyone have any clue if he's good?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

He's making $5 mil with the Bulls. I can't see OSU paying that much, and even if they could I doubt Hoiberg leaves. I have been very wrong about Hoiberg before though.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Yea, OSU can afford it. I would just be surprised if they pay that much for Hoiberg. He's not worth nearly that much.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Kim Jong Il posted:

Why was he so bad at Iowa State?

Or maybe alternatively, his overall record doesn't seem THAT great? His best work was building UNI, but he wasn't elite there. He inherited a loaded program from Dana Altman at Creighton and it's just treaded water.

I think my mind was mentally correcting him to Gregg Marshall, who of course would be a way better hire.

A few starters transferred out of ISU when Wayne Morgan was fired and McDermott was hired, so he didn't have a lot to work with for the first couple years. He recruited some decent players, but no game changers, and just not enough good players. He ended up with a losing record every year he was there too, when Morgan actually had winning records every year and made the tournament one year.

I think he's the definition of a treading water coach. He is not good enough recruiter or coach to build a major program up. He likely succeeded at UNI because he was facing worse competition most of the time.

I was double checking his records, and he has never coached a team past the second round of the NCAA, even with some Creighton teams that were supposed to be really good. This is really not a good hire by OSU.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Kibner posted:

I'm just saying that making "loyalty" that high of a priority is a sure-fire way to get nothing but mediocre to bad coaches.

Sometimes you make what you think is a loyalty hire and they still leave you anyway. :smith:

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

R.D. Mangles posted:

Northwestern assistant Pat Baldwin is the head coach at UW Milwaukee.

Good for him, but is UW-M like a total dumpster fire right now? I thought even the school or athletic department was having serious issues. Kind of weird to see coaches from Northwestern getting hired away.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

GobiasIndustries posted:

I had no idea that there was a national underground assistant coach corruption ring but welp

I'm assuming this has to do with AAU stuff and paying off high school coaches for recruits.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Too bad white collar criminals never get anywhere near the max years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

elentar posted:

Former Louisville player and present assistant coach David Padgett (no relation to Scott) is now interim coach. Supposedly they're going to make a huge push to get Gregg Marshall as soon as possible, whatever it takes; I imagine it will involve Papa John personally defeating the Koch Bros. in hand to hand combat.

Could they all possibly die in this melee and take their respective universities with them?

• Locked thread