Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
Where are your GFCIs and are you going to use junction boxes anywhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

bEatmstrJ posted:

So I think we've gotten off on the wrong foot here.

My thick skin is wearing thin and I'm about ready to bail on this thread which i'm sure would give you all plenty to talk about.

I love sharing my projects with people and with every project I learn an immense amount, this one included. But unfortunately there is no good way to deal with the thread making GBS threads that is occurring here.

There are many approaches I could take:
- Should I apologize for being an amateur? Well that will probably just lead to more and more people telling me i'm in over my head.
- Should I ignore everyone and just keep doing what I planned on doing my way? Well that will probably just result in people calling me an idiot and giving me new (soon to be irrelevant custom titles).
- Should I listen to advice and continue to defend myself everyday? Well that doesn't seem to be working so far cause everyone is still calling me an idiot.

I'm not trying to be an rear end in a top hat to anyone, but a lot of people are being an rear end in a top hat to me which is forcing me to look like an rear end in a top hat while defending myself. It's a bit of a catch 22.

It should be VERY clear to everyone that I'm contacting contractors and engineers to find a solution to my current bathtub predicament. There's absolutely zero reason to continue to bash me about it until I move forward with any solutions.

I've said it several times before. I'm an ambitious DIYer. I call myself a DIY expert on LinkedIn and I don't think there is anything wrong with that (especially for a resume). I've done a huge variety of projects in my past (none to this extreme so far), and I know a lot about a lot of different trades. But I don't know every detail about every trade and I have no problem admitting that.

It takes a lot of guts for me to post a project like this on a forum of very smart people who are quick to pick out every minor detail. This doesn't make me an idiot.

There's not a lot I can do at this point to get anyone to respect me and I'm not going to try to get people to do that. But I will continue to seek advice going forward and do things to the best of my ability. But if it's just going to turn into a huge dogpile on me then there's no need for me to continue sharing.

I know it's a lot to ask, but let's all try to be civil and constructive and i'll try not to sound like I know everything, cause I don't.

Before you go, I wanted to ask about junction boxes again:

I saw this photo in your open directory:

Yet in this image it shows that it is sealed:

How do you get access to the junction boxes there?

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

bEatmstrJ posted:

It's true, I didn't understand the seriousness of it originally. But now I do, and I have you guys to thank for that. And i'm taking steps to remedy the situation, but it seems like I'm still getting bashed for not knowing something.

It isn't that you're getting based for not knowing something, you're getting bashed because you're making these huge mistakes and then getting defensive about it. You did it in the electrical thread and you're doing it here. The fact that someone bestowed you an avatar referencing Groverhaus should be seen as an honour, not an insult.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

All the cool houses have sunken features.

Sunken tub.
Sunken bed.
Sunken living room
Sunken garage.
Sunken fridge.

Sunken foundation.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Bad Munki posted:

Based on this image:

You are absolutely correct. That looks like it's supposed to be gravel down there, the tub will overflow into it and drain out underneath. If so, then the "what I want to do" part of "only way to accomplish what I want to do" is "create a black mold farm under a water stain sculpture." I think it may be an art piece about the intractable existentialism in the context of our modern socio-political global economy of consumerism or something.

So how much does this tub hold? 80 gallons? That's 300 kg of water at most.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
I wonder if his bathroom will be hella flush.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

bEatmstrJ posted:

And to that note, not a single one has called me an idiot or said it couldn't be fixed when I told them I cut my beams.

If I knew that you were going to pay me $texas to fix your idiotic mistake then I would go out of my way to be nice to you to jack the price up further.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

bEatmstrJ posted:

I met with another contractor today. He did a very thorough inspection and said everything looks good as is. He recommended leaving the subfloor off. He appears to be licensed judging by those credentials around his neck and he had very reasonable rates.

So was this contractor also coming in at a lower rate? Dead birds aren't currency in some other parts.

Lain Iwakura fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Apr 12, 2017

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

bEatmstrJ posted:

In reasonably boring news, I took down my vanities and removed the hardibacker from the wall today in prep for the contractors to do the minor plumbing fixes needed and so it can be inspected later. Since the wall is off, i'm probably going to replace the mirror electrical boxes with adjustable boxes and I might swap out the brass pipes with some copper stubouts. That one is up in the air though since the brass ones are working and i'm not sure I have enough slack in the blue PEX on the right to make the switch without adding a coupler.

So far I've had 3 contractors come over and I've received one quote. I have another 3-4 contractors coming this week.

Did you seriously cut out your studs to put in that pipe like that?

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

bEatmstrJ posted:

He took measurements of my entire house and said he can make it work but he did seem a bit concerned about having the inspector see the joists, so he recommended fixing it (but still leaving my 2" inch drop) and covering it up before the inspector comes over as he thinks it would raise a lot of red flags.

Uh. You got yourself some engineer there.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Dr.Smasher posted:

What exactly is a Sales Engineer

That sounds like some Web 2.0 disruption poo poo

They're supposed to keep the sales persons honest but really are a pain in the rear end to support and everyone else. Infosec ones are generally the worst.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

bEatmstrJ posted:

We keep sales people honest and demo tech to prospective clients. Apparently we are a pain in the rear end to support? I am in Infosec, which makes me the worst.

When I worked for $nameless_AV_vendor, your kind tended to be the worst as in not explaining to the customers what they were up against. Now that I am at the receiving end as a customer for a large natural resource company, so I get to see why your kind caused me the most problems.

So yeah. Your kind are a pain in the rear end. :)

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

bEatmstrJ posted:

And since woman play an unfair role in the home-buying process, a woman who falls in love with my bathroom is going to help me sell my home (someday). You may not like the design, but I assure the finished product will exceed your expectations.

Wow. You pretty much match my impression of sales engineers once again.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

bEatmstrJ posted:

Apparently you've never bought a house with a wife? Under most circumstances the wife makes the final say on whether or not a couple buys a home. I've heard this from the many real estate agents I've worked with in the past that assure me this is most often the case.

I am married and can tell you that you have a really depressing outlook on marriage. I guess that can explain why you're living the bachelor life after all.

At least make your bathroom look like this:

It's not like you ever have to worry about a woman seeing it anyway.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

bEatmstrJ posted:

I do. That's because the marriages i'm in close relation to are more depressing than happy. I have a good life and maybe some day I'll get married, but I'm certainly not in a rush.

bEatmstrJ posted:

Apparently you've never bought a house with a wife? Under most circumstances the wife makes the final say on whether or not a couple buys a home. I've heard this from the many real estate agents I've worked with in the past that assure me this is most often the case.

bEatmstrJ posted:

In the same vein, if a woman sees a nice inviting looking bathtub they are going to swoon. And since woman play an unfair role in the home-buying process, a woman who falls in love with my bathroom is going to help me sell my home (someday).

Maybe the reason why the marriages you see are depressing is because you have a distorted view on how women look at homes? Like I am pretty certain my wife (who happens to be an engineer I'll add) would likely want to run away if she were to hear that some dingdong decided that they could fix some engineered joists.

Tell me, what do you think of women drivers? I am sure that you could talk a lot about them just like how we talk about how stupid you are at home renovations. At least with the latter we don't have to rely on feckless anecdotal evidence.

Lain Iwakura fucked around with this message at 23:34 on May 2, 2017

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

bEatmstrJ posted:

There was nothing sexist about what I wrote and I'm certainly not trying to be sexist.

Really?

bEatmstrJ posted:

bEatmstrJ posted:

In the same vein, if a woman sees a nice inviting looking bathtub they are going to swoon. And since woman play an unfair role in the home-buying process, a woman who falls in love with my bathroom is going to help me sell my home (someday).

You're stereotyping women at how they look at bathrooms.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

bEatmstrJ posted:

K, i'm done, this is getting way too goony.

Sorry that we violated your shitposting safe space.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
Besides I always thought that kitchens sold a home more than somewhere where you take a dump and clean out your belly button.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
Since no woman is going to use this bathroom, why not include a urinal?

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Burt Sexual posted:

Nah I don't think he's some mega red pill guy, just a dude with too much money, time, and well, bad design experience.

No. He's just a moron that works in sales. He's the type that thinks he's all 'enlightened' and can do or say nothing wrong. Because we're calling him out on his bullshit, this is no longer a safe space for his opinions and thus because he's also a coward he runs away in a huff because he fears having to face up to his own convictions.

It's like he thought he was smart enough to do his own renovations but so far we've seen a lack of GFCIs, cuts into engineered floor joists, and in another case junction boxes that are inaccessible in addition to suspect wiring. He defends it all because being that he's in his late 30s and has nothing to account for in his life other than this house, any attempt to show that he is doing the one thing he has going "right" in his life as anything otherwise is an affront to his fragile ego.

Lain Iwakura fucked around with this message at 00:11 on May 3, 2017

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Dr.Smasher posted:

Don't chase him off folks, I sincerely want to see this through

Agreed. I want to see him defend his fragile masculinity.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

bEatmstrJ posted:

Please don't drag me back into a "sexist rant", but the whole picking apart what I said is exactly this. I think (I HOPE) its clear to everyone that I'm being sincere and not trying to insult anyone. I think it's pretty clear i'm not referring to animals when I say female, it's semantics.

I was merely posting facts that women have a voice in the home buying process. But you're right, lets drop it. Please.

lmao, Olive Garden! So lolz! Also, not even close.

Why do you call women "females"?

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

bEatmstrJ posted:

You are the worst kind of female.

Its loving semantics, get over it.

Explains why at your late 30s you are single.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

bEatmstrJ posted:

It really doesn't actually. There are far better reasons. But bitching about minor details makes you a cranky nag. My message and intentions were clear. There was no need to rip it apart because someone feels violated over a subtly different word.

Real question: Has any man in this thread ever been upset by being called a male? If more than three people say yes I'll stop saying female.

You know, I'll tell you something: one of your co-workers asked me about this thread which is how I became aware of it. This is the reason why I mock you as a sales engineer because I know exactly what you do.

Also yes. Some people who are identified as male do happen to take exception to it. I am one of them.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

SoundMonkey posted:

op would like you to know that he's taking his ball and falling through his floor going home and never coming back or even lurking

like they said to let you know so here we are, i guess they couldn't wait 6 hours to post it themselves

congratulations everyone you ruined it by calling out his flagrant sexism and pigheadedness and abhorrent opinions, you really did it this time

This is not a safe space for him.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

PittTheElder posted:

From a couple pages back, but - assuming true - the fact that OPs coworkers are aware of this thread and are doubtlessly gossiping about it is legitimately the funniest part of the whole thing.

I worked for his employer in the past and we know which of us are goons.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

SoundMonkey posted:

okay but seriously OP's real-life existence is not relevant to the comedy of this thread

You are correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Konstantin posted:

Actually, the term "female" is being used more in casual conversation nowadays as a synonym for "cisgender woman." I don't agree with it, but gender related language is really vague and people are both misusing and creating a bunch of terms to describe specific groups of people.

I'm so glad that you donned a fedora before posting about how you perceive gender. It really added to the conversation.

• Locked thread