Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

drat, when I used to run electrical, I was only allowed to drill the middle 1/3 of these engineered beams....you've removed all the compressive strength of the joists in an area of heavy loading!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I'm glad you're consulting an engineer, and I'm interested to see their plans.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

dpack_1 posted:

I think it's just how loving obscure them things are compared to UK standard connector strips, which are then wrapped in insulated tape.

And the fact that will just be hanging there in a humid bathroom just waiting to come loose and short out on the mirror's frame.
They're not obscure here in the colonies, and secondly there is no such thing as protecting a connection against humidity unless you're installing vapor proof everything, or an UG-type splice kit.

In my experience, attempting to seal up a connection with tape or whatever in a damp air environment is only going to accelerate the corrosion. Let it breathe and dry out.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

My guess is that he was gonna sit the tub inside a shower pan, and have a homebrew infinity edge tub.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Mr. Mambold posted:

If I were OP, I'd set engineered rock to the wall near the tub and have a little waterfall going down that for the ambience.
If OP had an engineered rock, he'd probably cut a big hole in it.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

OSI bean dip posted:

I wonder if his bathroom will be hella flush.

IDK, but with the proposed recessed shower pan trap being lower than the toilet drain, there could indeed be one hell of a flush.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

bEatmstrJ posted:

I have contacted over 10 different contractors and as of yet not a single one has come over. And to that note, not a single one has called me an idiot or said it couldn't be fixed when I told them I cut my beams. So between my job and finding a contractor, things are going to be slow for a while.
Cool. If you get a contractor who intends to repair the beams without getting an engineer to sign off, send them packing.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

HycoCam posted:

Those permits and the required inspections can be seen as a drawback--but as a huge TOH fan--I've learned inspectors are a homeowner's best friend.

The inspectors that get tv time on TOH are not typical.

You may notice that they do not always show footage of the inspection, I always imagine the reason is that Tommy let loose a string of colorful expletives at some bad news.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

10/10 :perfect:

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Adiabatic posted:

Compression loads are loads due to pushing against something. Tension is pulling. When you put a load on some object you put stress on that object. Shear is a particular form of failure of that object due to the stress induced. I'm wrong on this shear is another form of loading per bone diagram.

Hope that clears some stuff up!

I'd like to add, when thinking about how any this beam is loaded, the upper part of the beam is in compression, and the lower part is in tension (in this case, load being in the same direction as gravity).

That's the point of I-beams whether steel or engineered wood, the upper and lower flanges are holding the forces involved. Maximum strength with minimal material.

e: for clarity you pedants. :p

angryrobots fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Apr 7, 2017

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

xwing posted:

Not always true... over a load bearing wall in the middle of a house a beam would be in in tension at the top. Your statement is true for the simplest uniform loading supported at two ends. A cantilever is another case it wouldn't have the loading you describe. That's why beams are usually symmetrical in the y-axis because it works the same in both directions.

I was not attempting to describe all loading situations, and even said as much. Just further explaining the situation going on here (and I always thought trying to picture beam internal forces was interesting).

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Water is a poor lubricant. Just saying.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Liquid Communism posted:

Whoever designed that room has a can light fetish.

From everything I can gather, the duty of a home lighting designer is to install as many recessed lighting fixtures of every description that the structure can physically support.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

You have a good attitude moving forward.

It would drive me absolutely bonkers, knowing that simply asking an internet forum about my plan ahead of time, could have saved me something like $20k. I couldn't handle that.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Those who live in glass (floored) houses shouldn't throw make tub basins from stones.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

bEatmstrJ posted:

Im fairly certain uncompromised floor joists could not handle the awesomeness of a tub full of mercury.

Mercury is about 13.5 times heavier than water, probably less overall weight than filled tub + average goon weight.

Well within your factor of safety, go for it.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

What a strange thread for the diy forum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Well most drunk-shits are mostly liquid, while vomit generally has chunks of undigested food which is difficult to get down the sink drain.

So I guess which method of vomitorium setup works depends on your level of alcoholism.

• Locked thread