Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

ProfessorProf posted:

"...It is quite pleasant to watch men who speak of pride as they turn that desire into reality. The 'quiet man of action' is nothing more than an excuse used by the extremely lucky. A true monarch also speaks of what he doesn't have. And he makes that pride a reality without fail. If one is to control me, they must possess that monarch's pride."
"Do you understand, Natsuhi? A true monarch fears no hardship. They declare that they will overcome anything without fail. Even if they haven't yet figured out how. This gives hope to the weak people. They gather, revere the monarch, and swear to assist him. This is where power is gained and his word is carried out. Engrave that into your heart."

Hang on. All this talk about a monarch... Everything makes sense now! This is the spiritual predecessor to Dark Souls 2! The whole family must be branded by the dark sign, that's how this story keeps repeating; but most of them are hollowed enough that they don't remember the previous games.

ProfessorProf posted:

As Beatrice laughed unpleasantly, no, that wasn't it. She was testing Natsuhi, to see whether she possessed the mental readiness to be a true monarch. Natsuhi wasn't confused anymore. She answered clearly, gazing into Beatrice's eyes.

There are no strong souls around, so Natsuhi has to resort to grinding for them from her family. This will take a while...

Except I'm wrong by default, because witches are in the Souls games and witches aren't real :colbert:

v: Oh, true. I don't know how I forgot, her hat's the best hat.

Telum fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Mar 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Prof, there's a point when they're talking about Rosa having fallen asleep, when you've used Ronove's image, but I imagine it should have been someone else? I'd guess Rudolf or Kyrie. Sorry for the lack of quote, I'm phone posting :v:

What's interesting about Erika's introduction?

e: it's this line: "There's a chance we might be forced to spend all night on this. Getting a nap in now is probably a smart idea."

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

Are Natsuhi's and Virgilia's icons also a page up apart? :v:

quote:

: "If it's discovered, there will be no chance for us to talk our way out of it! My husband's embezzlement will be exposed to the light of day, and the Ushiromiya family's honor will be destroyed! We must remain firm and prevent that no matter what...!"

e: v He got it from solving the previous Head's riddle, obviously.

Telum fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Mar 28, 2017

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

:suspense:

Well, that was certainly cathartic, at least.

So we have red and blue swords for red truths and blue... suppositions, I guess? And now there's a gold sword for gold truth. It makes me wonder if Erika's purple scythe is going to lead to some more color text. Are we going to end up with a rainbow? I've also been wondering for a while now if Kannon's, the goats', etc. colored swords are related at all to the colored text. Probably not, but it seems inconsistent.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

tiistai posted:

So pure it's an undeniable fact

Apparently you can (try to?) murder a servant and child and still be pure?

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

resurgam40 posted:

And drat, Battler... I don't know where you're going with this, but I don't like it. The story has been drawing parallels between you and Kinzo pretty much from the word "go," but I would have hoped there would have been some significant space in the development between "gets a cape" and "locks up a pretty girl in a room for nefarious purposes"... and you really could have gone another way, you know. (Like, not locking up blonde girls and putting them in frilly dresses, for instance. :gonk: You give a man a cape, and it's all downhill from there, evidently.)

ZiegeDame posted:

So Battler has created a blank slate young woman in the hopes of raising her to be a duplicate of the Beatrice that died. He's really taking the wrong lessons from his grandfather, huh?

I don't think that's his intent at all, though. Here's how I'm reading it:

He wants Beatrice back. He uses ~endless magic~ or whatever (ugh) to attempt to resurrect her as she was. It sortofkinda works, just not as he intended. This young Beatrice appeared, instead. He's a bit distraught at this, and doesn't want this one around, because I imagine that constantly seeing the face of someone you care for but it's not actually them can't be all that pleasant. So he tries to keep her away from him by telling her to stay in her room.

Is this a good action on his part? Hell no, he's punishing her for something that's not at all her fault. But has he "[locked] up a pretty girl in a room for nefarious purposes"? I'm not seeing it. I mean, it might end up going that way, this just seems a bit too quick to jump to the most negative conclusion, imo.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

Qrr posted:

He did kind of end the last chapter by arguing that he had killed 6 people. It was mostly a thought experiment, but still.

He argued that he could have killed them, not that he did. He was providing reasonable doubt for Natsuhi.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

So... Ange is reading this story about Battler as GM to Featherine, which makes it a meta-layer "above" the main story, right? But now Virgilia and the new Beatrice came to the meta-layer, presumably as part of that story? :psyduck:

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

Tired Moritz posted:

Renove is the actual best.

If he were real, sure.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

ProfessorProf posted:

"And I wonder what kind of a grandma you'll be. However, I will always keep loving you. And when we eventually pass away, surrounded by our vast family, our lives will stretch behind us, unmatched by anyone else's."

Sounds like it should be George?

e: update on last page :v:

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

Qrr posted:

We know for a fact that there are two battlers.

My name is Ushiromiya Battler
Ushiromiya Battler's mother is Ushiromiya Asumi
It was from Ushiromiya Asumu that I was born

The fact that the first 2 are true and the third is not means that there must be.

I don't think it solves the closed room, though.

Someone can be your mother and not be who birthed you.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

Qrr posted:

True, but you are not Ushiromiya Asumu's son is also stated. So while adoption would work with the red texts I cited it would not work with that one.

"Son" is ambiguous, it could be referring to either a biological or emotional relationship. So it could simply mean that he is not, biologically, her son; alternatively, not every adopter considers the adoptee their child.

I don't really have much of an opinion of what's going on with Battler's birth, I just object to the strong assertions:

Qrr posted:

We know for a fact that there are two battlers.

My name is Ushiromiya Battler
Ushiromiya Battler's mother is Ushiromiya Asumi
It was from Ushiromiya Asumu that I was born

The fact that the first 2 are true and the third is not means that there must be.

We do not know for a fact, as there are other possibilities; and it is not correct that the truth value of those statements have any bearing on whether there must be two Battlers. They are, in theory, capable of implying two Battlers, but there's nothing there to grant exclusivity.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

ZiegeDame posted:

It's me. Thanks for noticing. :)

(Yes, I have the same birthday as Battler.)

Happy birthday! :toot:

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

The implication of the wine is false, as alcohol dehydrates you :colbert:

But this is for a six year old; it's probably that the witch was late enough that the ice cream melted in the heat of the day. D. "The ice cream."

e: v That's a good point. Hm...

Telum fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Oct 7, 2017

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

99+20=119
130-20=110

119-110=9, which is half of the word emergency, since it sounds like 9 said twice.

D. 20

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

Confused Llama posted:

Guys. "When its length is 1 centimeter or less, the flame will disappear." It won't keep burning to shorter than that. E. 10 mm

I agree with this.

Also, "[Three] hours later, the flame had disappeared..." It didn't stop burning at three hours, it had already stopped by then.

e: D'oh, need to actually vote: E. 10mm

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I feel like there's some other trick I'm missing, but I'll say: B. black. The second half is just the first half in reverse.

e: ^ That never would have occurred to me, but that makes more sense. Gotta go with A. white, then!

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I'm completely stumped on this one. I've considered number of syllables, number of consonants or vowels or all letters, number of times letters are re-used in a name; none of that seems to work. I can't figure out anything to do with the initials or anything like that. The first word of each do all contain "mura," though, if that helps to spark any ideas for anyone else. That's all that stands out to me at the moment.

e: Is it 4 because it's --th? :colbert: D. "4" drat misdirection.

Telum fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Oct 12, 2017

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

Kytrarewn posted:

C. 78

The scores are based on the atomic number of the element.

:doh: I'm a chemist, how did I not....

C. 78

I was trying to do poo poo like using prime factorization to extrapolate a pattern from the differences between the prizes, or sum everything and try to see if any of those stood out. Copper, silver, and gold are all prime numbers, even, but none of the choices were (though that would have been a wonderfully misleading choice if he'd included one or two primes larger than 79.)

Ah, well. Good job Kytrarewn!

e: As an aside, Prof, thanks for doing this section this way, it's really fun.

e2: spoiler'd out stuff for the same reason

Telum fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Oct 13, 2017

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

Hm. I've got nothing. O - lemonade keeps it from being the first letter. I can't think of anything that WPAO and one of the choices would spell. Maybe lemonade's different because it's a drink while the others are foods? In which case black coffee would be different as well. Or maybe lemonade's different because it's a single word, while the others are two, in which case black coffee would be like the others, so the answer would be c. b, though that doesn't seem like great logic so that's not a vote...

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

....isn't the underground VIP room where you're safe from the explosion? Why would she take any out before the blast?

Though, to answer the question as asked: 3 minutes from the surface to the room, 5 minutes back with an ingot makes a round trip 8 minutes. 8 can go into 60 7 times (56) with 4 left over, which is even enough time to get back to the underground room.

At this point I'm suspicious of a trick question, so I'm not entirely sure that's right, but I'll spoiler it anyway and I'll go with: D. "7 ingots"

e: Hm. I really don't like that as even a trick answer, but yeah I suppose the puzzle says nothing about Rosa staying safe (and the siblings are certainly shown as having been extremely greedy so far). Mainly what I don't like is that we don't know how far she'd get in the last minute, if she'd even get out of the VIP room by then, but I suppose we're already abstracting away time spent in the VIP room anyway. It would satisfy the expectation of needing a trick answer that's been built up by a few of these.

Going to need some time to chew this over before actually voting, though I'll probably end up just going with 8.

Unless the trick here is that Rosa wouldn't actually be quite that greedy...

Telum fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Oct 15, 2017

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

quote:

EDIT: I don't think it matters how long it takes Rosa to get an ingot out of the room. If it did, then it would be included in the question since depending on how long it takes the answer would change (more than a minute means Rosa doesn't get the eighth ingot out of the room, less than a minute means she does).

Yeah, the fact that the ambiguity could change the answer is precisely why I don't like this answer, even as a trick answer.

tiistai posted:

Not at all, the explosives are actually all stacked right there in the next room over.

Hm, I guess I misunderstood, then. (e: to clarify, I thought the underground room was in Kuwadorian and the clock switch thing was just a remote detonator. I'm really bad about remembering details, though, so since you say I'm wrong, I believe it :v: )

quote:

If the VIP room stayed intact surely the police would have found all that gold.

Unless someone survived and took all the gold themselves :colbert:

Telum fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Oct 15, 2017

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

"(all of these count as one passenger on the boat)"

Well there ya go, one trip, and there's still room for a second passenger!

No? Well, drat. How about :

1. Wife and meat; wife comes back.
2. Wife and cow; wife comes back.
3. Wife and sheep; wife comes back.
4. Wife and peasant; peasant comes back.
5. Peasant and shepherd; shepherd comes back.
6. Shepherd and vegetables; nobody comes back.

If each crossing is a step, that's 11 steps. Each time (except the last, obviously), one passenger is being left of the other side, which is the best you could do, so I think that's as good as you can get.

B. "In 10 to 14 steps"

e: v Hm. I wasn't really expecting a trick question from Maria, but, yeah, I missed that and it makes sense. If we just care about the people, it's less than 10 steps. If we care about everything, it's 10-14. I think for now, yeah, I'll throw in with you. A. "Less than 10 steps"

Telum fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Oct 16, 2017

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

If Miyoko is the oldest, then Satoko is also speaking the truth, so it can't be her. If Satoko is the oldest, Rika is telling the truth, so it can't be Satoko. If Rika is the oldest, then both of the others are lying. So that would mean Rika is the oldest.

But... Where's the trick? :colbert:

Is "Nipah" a verbal tick type of thing, or does that mean something?

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

ProfessorProf posted:

It's a reference to Rika from Higurashi, AKA Bernkastel's former human incarnation.

Thanks, Prof.

So let's see.... Miyoko has to be on the left; if she's telling the truth, she can't be saying she's somewhere else. Since she's telling the truth, Satoko is on the right, which leaves Rika for the middle.

E. Miyoko, Rika, Satoko

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

Graylien posted:

What does the 'aren't necessarily lying' bit have to do with it? I get that it's because they're wearing masks and can't tell who the others are, so they're mistaken rather than lying, but why bring it up?

It's so you don't get caught up trying to find a solution where exactly one is telling the truth while the other two are wrong. Easy mode for his daughter, basically :v:

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

Yeah, nice timing on that discussion. C.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

Obviously it's a trick, she never showed us her right hand was empty :colbert:

But Battler seems to be pushing her towards magic, which means that's probably the "happy" or "better" ending, so let's see trick first and end on a high note.

• Locked thread