Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Tumble posted:

Fraiser is basically The Big Bang Theory but with fancy people instead of nerds.

frasier's more about two meek but condescending guys with grandiose senses of self-worth who are really into metropolitan upper-class culture but always outrageously fail at fitting in because they're still dweebs irl and don't belong

if bbt was about meek but condescending anime nerds with inflated egos and pretentious opinions who are really into japanese culture but constantly fail at fitting in this comparison would be tighter and bbt would be at least 10x funnier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

one neat thing is that they used to have guest stars come in as callers on frasier's show all the time

they're all pretty 90s like gilian anderson, jay leno, macaulay culkin, jodie foster and yo-yo ma :aaa:

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEtQ8l4SKQQ

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

one time when i was drinking with my friends instead of saying davey boy 'british bulldog' smith i said bob 'bulldog' briscoe and people laughed at me so hard that for the rest of the evening i had to pretend i was drunker than i really was to save face

thank you for reading my frasier story

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Kelp Me! posted:

Anime is blood

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Vakal posted:

I'd be more interested to know how much The Bundy's house in Chicago would be worth.

the real house they used for establishing shots is half a million these days, when it was first built in the 70s it was almost exactly 10x less

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

tbh if i were frasier i'd have stayed with his emotionless upperclass goth-wife named after a succubus

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

food court bailiff posted:

To be fair I think like half his family was murdered, in one case I think a shark may have been involved

yeah his rl dad was killed by a man named niles, his sister was raped and murdered by a serial killer duo (she escaped or something and made it to someone's trailer for help but they weren't home so she just bled out on their porch), his best friend died on on 9/11 in the actual first plane and 2 of his brothers died in a scuba accident

since they never found one of his brothers you're probably right about the shark

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Smythe posted:

wow.. thats some bad karma lol

yeah he's also had more regular misfortunes like surviving a couple heart attacks, going through miscarriages with his 4th wife, getting blackmailed via sextape and getting shot at by his 2nd ex-wife

i can see why he might've liked a beer or two in his off hours

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

i watched kelsey be a guest on a late night talk show once and his anecdotes were solely about staffing issues in his 2nd mansion's kitchen

playing frasier for 3 decades probably wasn't very demanding

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

he (and niles and martin) made a shitload of money on that show. millions an episode.

meanwhile the ladies were only getting five figures

high 5 figures an episode isn't baaaad for TV since that'll net you a couple million or so a season and that show ran for 11 but yeah, hollywood salary differentials can be intense for a long running show, iirc Kelsey's net-worth is around 125 mill and that's mostly frasier money since at one point he was making 1.6 mill an episode, about double what david hyde pierce was getting; meanwhile charlie sheen got 1.8 mill an episode for two and a half men :psyduck:

for reference sean astin was paid 250k for a couple years work in essentially a co-starring role for the LOTR trilogy despite not being a new actor that took a paycut for a breakout role by that point

Bogus Adventure posted:

You've got to love the bald mullet he rocked in the '80s. Depression in the rront, desperation in the back.

:lol:

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

looks like lannisters can actually always pay their debts :eyepop:

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Tumble posted:

lol and that's not even talking about the sweet sweet residual money the actors get every time an episode plays somewhere

if you're on a popular TV show that goes a bunch of seasons, you get fat paid for year and year and years after it's done

yeah even jane leeves walked away with a cool 20+ mill from frasier before residuals for essentially 11 seasons of telling bizarre stories about growing up in the UK

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Kelp Me! posted:

e: I wonder if either Martin or more appropriately Daphne ever made fun of their accent/vocabulary. Martin would be more likely to take the piss, but I imagine that any actual Brit would crack up hearing that accent IRL for the first time.

martin's backstory is that he fell in love with an upper class woman (the brothers def take after their mom) so maybe he secretly thinks that accent is hot as gently caress on women :circlefap:

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

cool new Polack jokes posted:

Apologies if this has been posted already, but this is required viewing for the thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSK1UeD9nvE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2hs0oZ6JuQ

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Kelp Me! posted:

Who's the lawful evil one? That's not Lilith

frasier's agent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uk49C5Re2k

e: my bad, looked at the wrong side

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

spog posted:

Likewise, Niles' suits - the absolute best in fashionable menswear at the time; now he looks like a ventriloquist's dummy

in retrospect it was pretty weird that two-sizes-too-big for menswear suits was fashionable in the 90s/early 00s

it's like zootsuits made a comeback

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

which is better, 2003 or 2013

be honest :ohdear:

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

cool new Polack jokes posted:

The actors who play Gil, Bulldog, Martin and Niles are all gay irl but so far as I know none were 'out' at any point of the show's run

unless john mahoney was still lying in the early 2000s he's probably just aromatic or something, he said in an interview back then that he never married despite being in several longterm relationships because he hated arguments and would just disappear after the first big one, as if he had a borderline fear of them

supposedly his parents were at times very verbally abusive towards each other, apparently john's siblings ended up in healthy marriages having learned from their parents' mistakes while john just slinked away from relationships in general

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Disgusting Coward posted:

More like Dong Maheiney, am i rite?

:lol:

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

the most :smith: i've ever seen kelsey on a talk show was when the sex tape came up and he described it as a sad, out-of-shape, middle-aged man having less than mediocre sex with a younger woman that no one should ever have to watch of their own free will

i've never seen someone laid so low by their own bad sex

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

beep by grandpa posted:

I keep thinking about this post and it makes me lol. I like to think that this poo poo was the exact tipping point where the fashion cycle began anew.

All their loving pant legs are dragging on the ground & their jackets cut off nearly at the knee jfc. I was in high school at the time so I wonder if my prom pics had me wearing my suit like pajamas.

you're pretty much right, men's suits don't really get much bigger than 2003's but that style does stick around until like~2007

i wore one those pajama suits for my first highschool job interview, if i still had i could use it as a really formal wingsuit

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Sir Lemming posted:

Every will-they-won't-they is terrible if you really think about it, but it's just part of sitcom logic. Niles & Daphne ruled. (Until they got together.)

it generally just felt a little emptier afterwards because niles making innuendos, stammering or otherwise doing something goofy to impress an oblivious daphne was such a recurring staple of frasier that it was sometimes hard to fill with void with something else that fits with as much comedic tension

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

ElGroucho posted:

And she was hot as gently caress, I can't stress this enough

Wish I had an ice queen

:same:

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

probably the most interesting thing is to try and figure out which celebrity guest they got to phone in as a caller since they got quite a few big 90s guys in there

like of course david duchovny would call in as a sex addict :allears:

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Strudel Man posted:

Wait, really? None of the caller voices ever jumped out at me as familiar; I just thought they were random actors, extras, whatever you'd call someone in such a one-time role.

it's kinda hard to tell through the bad 90s phone audio filter they ran the voices through, assuming the actors didn't just literally phone in their cameo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNPrlVXeuEA

here's a montage of a few callers if you want to ruin the surprise

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Calaveron posted:

How wealthy was Frasier that he was out of a job for months, kept up his lavish lifestyle and still managed to lend Roz money like it was no thing
(Also $1500 was apparently enough to tide Roz over for three months)

it was/is possible to make ridic money in radio as a popular host; a 7 figure salary wouldn't be inconceivable for a man popular enough to have his own day - top dudes like stern still have an 8 figure salary from sirius for e.g. tho usually you need to be in politics, money or comedy to have broad enough appeal

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

gonna pour out a bottle of sherry for a fallen o g

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Solice Kirsk posted:

Mel was exactly like Frasier and Niles, as far as they ever showed. The only difference is they didn't light up the "laugh" sign when she acted like a pompous rear end in a top hat.

this whole show is like ten seasons of watching frasier and niles get dunked on by literally everyone tho when their pompousness eventually earns their comeuppance whose consequences range from: terrifically failed dinner parties, driving away dates, friends & family, depression about getting beaten at chess by your dad, etc - the show doesn't really have that much of double standard here

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

i love the 'frase'

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

been rewatching frasier lately, it's amazing how every episode of 'the fraise' gets at least one solid lol from me

s-rank tv, shame about it being 90s as gently caress tho

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Nathilus posted:

Anyway, despite the lack of any juicy details from the other side of the looking glass, I hope this post has shown a little bit of a glimpse of what it's like for people over there.

it is pretty telling that one of the first thing that happens when you tell someone that you know a celebrity is they want the dirty on 'em

kinda sad that hearing stuff like john mahoney being rad irl ususally just makes people's eyes gloss over until they hear the good stuff

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Bust Rodd posted:

Someone made an off the cuff remark in this thread about how despite the show being pretty good Frasier is an unquestionably terrible absentee father and I can’t let it go noooooo

the show is definitely fudging the math on lilith having sole custody with frasier only having visitation privileges a bit

but it's not too off base since some divorced couples have arrangements where instead of visiting every other weekend the non-custodian gets it all in a couple blocks - if freddie visits twice a year for 3 weeks that brings it back to par for sole custody, the showrunners just lump freddie's christmas vacation into one episode instead of 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

food court bailiff posted:

I don't think their visitation was as cut and dried as "every other weekend" or "three weeks a year" or whatever, Frasier and Lilith are both very well off professionals that could arguably care for their child's needs better alone than shunting him off across the country several times a year.

oh probably not, i was just meaning the show writers were probably influenced by public perceptions of divorce in the late 80s, and used the old status quo to fudge the math on how frequently frasier sees freddie given that little visitation was normal back then - i don't think frasier was intended as an absentee father, just a typical divorced dad

lilith and frasier probably didn't have a cut-and-dry arrangement but they probably aimed at a number that would've been downright good for the era, 3 weeks here, 2 weeks there maybe a week depending on the schedule