Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Wizard Styles posted:

e: On a completely different note, why do enemies not like dogs anymore?
I'm offering them prime sacrificial dog meat and they still keep stabbing my bros.

I've noticed this too, and I think the AI now makes target priority based on a mix of "how easy is it to hit this character?" and "how much damage will they do to me next action?" Maybe that's not the case, but it seems like most bad guys who aren't going to take much damage from the next dog attack will just go for bros instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

RabidWeasel posted:

That reminds me, they really need to have an ambition to upgrade your banner to pump up its damage a bit. It wouldn't hurt if it could be made as powerful as a pike or even slightly stronger - you can only get one (or two with the sell/buy trick) after all.

Or even cooler would be to have your banner gain some kind of magical properties as your company gained more renown or something. It doesn't have to be spectacular, as most unique items aren't in this game, but it'd be kind of cool to reflect your growing fame as a mercenary company.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah, I'd really like that. I don't think it should be magical per se given the low magic nature of the setting -- I kinda dislike how much overt magic has been added with the DLC, but I'll get over it -- but I really enjoy waving the banner around and it makes me sad when it gets suboptimal.

Yeah, I guess I should have said that the banner should gain the red glow that other unique items get in the game; most of those unique items aren't magical they're just exceptionally well crafted or have a history behind them.

Personally I think the game has always had a fair amount of magic in it - look at the entire undead crisis, for example - but your mercenary company should always be extremely ordinary.

Also I take it that polearm mastery is a must for hybrids now given how much flexibility polearm mastery gives you now.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Dec 21, 2018

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

MadJackMcJack posted:

:colbert:

Seriously though, gently caress Alps

this is what happens when you fight a stranger with some alps

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Starting a new run with the changed Nimble and my god my last seed had zero forest towns. What a difference to play on a map with 3-4.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
gonna keep banging on my "give undead injuries" drum if only because I want to see some extremely creative injuries for things like geists

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I found EPGLZQYKMK which has an iron lung'd and fearless axe bro, a strong/sure footed archer, and a team player shield bro. Map is solid, with quite a bit of trade potential, but I'm not sure if it's better than the one above.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Latest patch adds more tools to bigger settlements. I was wondering if it was me or if it was really hard to find them generally. That's a helpful change.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I'm having a hell of a time finding any good ranged guys. It's still early days, but all the poachers end up with 45-50 RA and no stars in it. Bowyers always seem disappointing too, and I don't see many hunters but maybe it's worth saving to get one. I usually try to get a witchhunter but I haven't had any luck yet finding one.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
They should probably up the gold/day because why would anyone not sell it, or make it do something else. Very few people are going to play for another 200 days afterwards.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Anyone have a game where you just can't get anyone with stars in MA? I had my starter bro and maybe two other frontline guys, but their stamina was abysmal. I got through the noble war but it was brutal, no one could hit anything and I had trouble dealing with footman shieldwalls. Lancers are good enough that they really make a difference, especially my juggler lancer with a pike. But I think now maybe I should have been using a Longaxe or a Halberd.

I also had a hell of a time getting better than worn mail shirts for some reason. I could never get enough money together for 210 armor which is usually what I try to get for my 2hander guys. Maybe I needed to just try some of the mid-tier stuff or maybe I just needed to take bigger and riskier contracts. Hard to say if I was pushing hard enough or doing enough trading to say for certain.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jan 10, 2019

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
What RA is good enough for a lancer? I keep getting low 40s one star RA guys with good MA and I'm never sure if they're really going to be good enough, even with the bonus accuracy from the crossbow.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I know his MA is a little low but I can't not try this guy out:

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

TheBeardyCleaver posted:

Question now is, what build will he have :v:

Probably greatsword for +% to hit?

but his name is John Maul

Yeah that's what I thought I'd do. I'll break out the maul for orcs when needed.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
hell yeah more content

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Dogs can also do decent health damage when you've stripped the armor off of something, or can finish off an archer/wounded guy and help break morale.

Don't understimate doggos, they are a bro's best friend.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
game feels like it should be more popular than it is, but I guess those who like it...like it a lot (350 hours with some idling)

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Flavahbeast posted:

Is it all pretty much still applicable or are there some things that got totally revamped?

The builds are a bit outdated, but most of it is still good info. Polearm mastery is really good now, and even your sergeant with banner should get it. Also Nimble is a viable pick for anyone who doesn't have a ton of stamina but has high HP. Take Colossus/Nimble instead of Brawny/Battleforged.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Flavahbeast posted:

Dogs seem great against orc warriors too. If the warrior plows through my frontline and starts hitting a ranged or polearm dude I just have the ranged or polearm dude Footwork back a step and drop a dog where they were standing. Now the orc warrior is easier to hit and as far as I've seen they will never attack the dog if there's a human in range

You can also drop a dog and rotate out of danger (and doggo into danger).

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
http://battlebrothersgame.com/dev-blog-117-named-equipment/

Named war scythes!

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Well aside from thrown weapons doesn't look like the barbarians use bows or anything so it's a big old melee brawl, which is what this game does best anyway. And unlike fighting undead, wounds and morale actually matter.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
urban/non-wilderness maps would be pretty cool too in BB2

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Osci posted:

I saw someone do the poacher start and I'm kinda drawn to it. You get to start with 2 poachers and a hunter, all with 2 stars in ranged attack. That means that the annoying early game hunt for ranged recruits is completely gone.

Oh my god that's amazing. I don't know if it's just me (probably) but the two or three campaigns I tried playing over the last month I had the worst time trying to get an extra archer or two, even with a couple of hunter towns on the map. Let alone trying to get someone with good morale, melee attack , and ranged attack for a sergeant.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
The barbarians emphasize everything that is good in this game. Really really enjoying fighting them.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
The barbarians definitely fill that difficulty gap between raiders and other stuff, the Chosen aren't NPC Hedge Knight tough, but they're still very scary.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Night10194 posted:

The Deserters are absolutely terrible, because they are all Deserters.

Yeah despite the advantages it feels like a 3 skull start.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

vyelkin posted:

I'm trying the seed Hellworld right now, will let you know how it goes.

Has anyone fought a champion for their unique yet?

I'm trying Hellworld with the barbarian start and it's really solid. The bottom half of the map is friendly, your starting barbarians are solid, and the faction you have access to has a good variety of towns.

Also I bought a staff sling for my tag-along monk and it's really solid against early units even with his horrible ranged stats.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 18:30 on May 10, 2019

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Actually nm

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 17:45 on May 11, 2019

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I think they might nerf the Barbarian start a bit, yeah it's map dependent but the amount of loot you can generate is crazy and you get 3 level 3 guys right off the bat with good equipment and a viking dog.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I can't imagine a noble war fight where you get a regiment of 24 guys on top of your 16 guys against enemy noble groups. What a bloodbath.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

vyelkin posted:

Cleavers are probably the weapon that will get you the most reliable damage each turn, they're reliable sources of damage and the extra bleed is quite nice. Also good against zombies, where their decapitate secondary attack will stop zombies coming back to life, making up for the lack of bleed to some extent. That being said, personally I don't think you want to give everyone a cleaver because the additional specialization from having axebros, hammerbros, and macebros who can break shields, destroy armour, and stun enemies is really valuable.

I'm not 100% sure about this but I believe headless zombies can't self-resurrect but they can be resurrected by a necromancer.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
One of the issue with getting bros with ranged backgrounds is they tend to be pretty expensive. I guess you don't need that many of them, but it takes a little while before you're going to drop 1-1.5k on a hunter or even more on a witch hunter or sellsword. Witch Hunters used to be my go-to but it feels like they've made them more expensive in exchange for most of them starting with a level or two.

TheAnomaly posted:

I've never seen a headless zombie come back, but the undead hero's can resurrect without a head.

ahh that must be what I'm remembering, thanks.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

TheBeardyCleaver posted:

Does anyone have recommendations for a Raiders of the North map? I'd like to head north and fight the barbarian kings for supremacy after a while, while building up some trust with the northern faction for repairs and loot sell. Ideally I'd also like to be able to do some caravan raiding against one faction, probably the middle one, looting and pillaging my way south now and then.

Some keepable starting bros, and decent south to build up in would be a bonus.

Noble war should be interesting :wiggle:

I've been using 'Hellworld'. Most of the south is open to you, bros have solid stats/traits, and the top most friendly city has a hunter lodge.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Even asking once hurts your rep with the village/faction a bit, so I hardly ever do - rep is money, friends.

Maybe on the biggest of the big cash-for-heads contracts.

I had no idea asking hurt your rep. Whoops.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Just discovered the utility of having a stupid bro: he can race the horse.

Holy poo poo that's a funny outcome.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
They're a lot more common than they used to be, keep hitting up lairs as far away from towns and cities as you can go. Also Champions have guaranteed drops.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Yeah, shieldbro for him but you can load him up with defensive active abilities and his massive fatigue will let him wear heavy armor and just be a rock to hold a flank or whatever you need.

You don't want too many bros like him, but a few like that aren't bad at all.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Wanna see that Nachzeher eat the Schrat.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Especially since barbs were supposed to be mid-game to late-game fare but large groups of chosen are by far more dangerous than most things in the game.

Also all I've found in my game are orc champions, it sucks. Hurray, another orc shield I'm not going to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I just hope what the devs take from the last couple expansions is that the game is at its best when you're fighting humans. Well, Chosen are kind of insane, but besides that.