Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Bwahahahaha I had this one last night except it ended happily and with a morale boost for the ball fetcher guy. I wonder if the game rolls based on one of his stats or if it is just random

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Nordick posted:

I like using javelins on a brother who has both high ranged and melee skill, for the simple reason that they are just so satisfying to nail motherfuckers with. Especially that one game where I found a named bundle of javelins that had both extra damage and extra armor pen, and were loving insanely lethal.

I guess new javelins you pick up in town marinate in awesomeness by being carried around in the same bundle with the Named ones.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Can giests actually hurt you at all or did you just have to spend forever sending routed dummies back into the fray?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Haha I tried to rescue some loving militia from orcs. The orcs got super high-morale rage boners from effortlessly ripping apart the padded-cloth militiamen then just sauntered on down and nonchalantly murdered all of my people too.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Is there any reliable way to pick that stuff up aside from buying it in town for $5000? I just gave up on a game mostly because my harvested brigand raider gear was no match for the loving nobles I was having to fight.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I'm turning into a dagger believer. I only wish there were a way to get archers and others to automatically switch back to their main weapon after a battle. I've wasted a lot of first rounds sorting that poo poo out instead of sniping motherfuckers

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I find it's easier to get started if you just load up on farmers and other cheap dudes, maybe eight or nine of the bastards, and keep replacing them in the next town and upgrading their gear as you kill brigands.

Re: zone of control - yeah if you don't take the footwork perk you'll have to take a hit to get out of range or reposition yourself. IMO it is often worth the risk and one of the few weaknesses I've noticed with the AI so far is that they'll almost never do this.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I just had a brother talk another out of the dastard trait by explaining that being sliced open in combat is one of the quicker ways to die.

Am I gonna get an event by letting my guys live on Strange Meat captured from orcs for a while?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

ditty bout my clitty posted:

Blocking and dodging should cost fatigue. You shouldn't be able to send one guy into twelve and have him go neo from the matrix on them

Well yeah, but this is part of the game's abstraction. Only things you actively choose to do (or getting clobbered in the head with a tree branch) cost fatigue. I imagine you'd never be able to do the 12 vs. 40+ fights if it worked like this, so they'd have to set the limit on enemy party scaling a lot lower.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Does going over twelve guys contribute to difficulty?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Yeah the retreat button kind of sucks right now. I only ever had it kill a guy when I retreated with him facing three legionaries and already in bad shape, but it seems to give every single one of your guys a wound every time you use it

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Nordick posted:

Update 1.1 is giving us a more modular difficulty setting. Check this poo poo out:

This is pretty awesome. I'm hesitant to start over because I'm fairly sick of the "half dozen hobos in rags" phase of the game where everyone dies a lot and you have to micromanage how many bucklers you collect to sell. Hopefully high starting cash will allow me to largely skip it.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Pretty much anyone in your lineup should be quick enough to Overwhelm an orc warrior, and it also works well enough on undead and noble house heavies too.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

If you want your cheevos, on map 602bbf I managed to get my starting crossbrow bro and the surviving melee bro (don't rememeber which one, sorry) up to 90 in their respective attack skills. Trade isn't great but the noble house up north has an armorer in almost every town.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

He's just a can full of spam in there after that last encounter with orcs and meat will start extruding out of the eye holes if they're not covered up.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I'm​in the middle of a Greenskin Invasion crisis and just had a guy with the background "Orc Hunter" join up. He's shaping up pretty nicely - is he really gonna abandon me when the crisis is over like his flavor text says?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

So just to be clear, taking on contracts adds more progress than just going out into the wilds and mowing down goblin/orc camps freestyle? The noble contracts are kind of annoying because they don't seem to be offered anywhere near where the action is. It's usually "go trudge halfway across the map and defend this village, then come back for monies."

e: the running around is probably because I'm on my second crisis and the first one was a noble war where I helped the obviously-best house take over half the world, so they have too many cities.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Lead one group of enemies onto another.

You still get the goal even if the two groups you led together mostly kill each other, I believe. Has anyone ever tried to kite a ~20 man noble army out to the Black Monolith?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I'm pretty sure I clicked a bandit camp with a bunch of direwolves in range and both groups appeared on the battle map.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

They should put the fucker on sale for $10 or less in the summer steam sale and see how it does. I bet they'd at least double their revenue.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Tias posted:

If I keep playing after solving an EG crisis, when will the next appear? I'm guessing day 200, but I don't know

Yeah, every 80-100 days. Day 200 is a good guesstimate

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Night10194 posted:

Well? Is he any good?

The game doesn't actually have horses so we'll probably never know

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Rondel daggers are great. They're the cheapest top-tier weapon by far and hurt nearly as much as a sword. You should check for them and buy them up every time you pass through a town with a weapon smith

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I put berserk on everybody. Overwhelm can still be useful on your slower guys because they're probably still going to be faster than a knight, an orc warrior or most undead. I don't know how you'd make lone wolf work out unless you set up a designated guy to go charge necromancers and the like. Three tiles is just too far away to be routinely useful in a big battle.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I'm pretty sure someone mentioned that having a guy shieldwall doesn't increase the likelihood that arrows will hit him instead of the guy behind him, just the chance that the shield will absorb the hit if he takes it. That said, having two guys in front of your soft targets is probably the best way to deal with archers, aside from sniping them before they can snipe you.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

The all-salvaged equipment strategy is great for weapons and shields but will leave you behind the curve when you need better armor than what bandits drop in large quantities. You should have your dudes kitted out in 250-300 armor and helmets before the crisis hits, and you'll probably have to buy most of that from an armored.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Hunt11 posted:

Necromancers can revive corpses without heads.

I *think* this is only with fallen heros. Lesser zombies can still be put down permanently with a decapitation.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I like the noble war the best but you're hosed if you don't aim to have all of your frontliners in 200+ armor/helms before it gets rolling. My main annoyance was the huge combined battles that can have wildly varying outcomes depending on how dumb your AI teammates decide to be. I haven't done the undead invasion yet and don't think I want to - I just have no damned fun fighting skeletons.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Tias posted:

Possession definitely either adds more AP or lowers the AP cost of actions. This is why you want to spearwall on turn one against necromancer-led hordes, at least in the general vicinity of the possessed creature.

How far can these fuckers run? Five tiles? I know normal zombies are three tiles (on good terrain), or one tile and an attack.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I'm pretty sure I've had a unique drop on a quest, late game. I think the game may only obliterate the good loot at a stronghold if you're weak and it has to re-roll a vampire lair down to a half dozen skellies.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Kris xK posted:

I just wish they'd port it to tablet. I would loving love to play this on the couch.

I actually tried the game on my laptop’s touchscreen a while back and it was 99% usable. There are buttons for nearly every action, and the only thing I couldn’t figure out how to do was zoom the world map, iirc. Probably worth a shot if you have a windows touchscreen device.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

iirc someone sperged on the math and it is much, much better to get the full reputation increase from not bartering if you plan on visiting that town a lot.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Goblins also have that small blade you can do the dagger puncture move with. The weight cost is 2 fatigue but it's better than the tier I and II daggers, and tier III daggers are pretty rare.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Broken Cog posted:

Small complaint about the Noble War: Why are the Great Battles so incredibly RNG based? I just got a battle where the starting number was 28vs36, and 4 of my side's units were wardogs.

Not to mention that you can get turbofucked and obliterated if your "allies" decide to kill themselves in amusing ways

e: I understand why the game doesn't give you direct control of them and goddamn would clicking through 30 guys a turn suck, but you should be able to give them hints or something

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Disgusting Coward posted:

Also kinda weird when GUSTAV THE BLOODTHIRSTY is a Davkul-worshipping veteran of 200+ hideous combats and is responsible for more deaths than typhoid, but he'll still wig out and get nervous when some scratter you hired the day before yesterday to ping arrows at the enemies gets killed. Motherfucker is wearing the skin of a dragon he personally beat to death with a magic sledgehammer he wrestled an orc for, why does he give a poo poo about some asthmatic midget beggar?

Gustav can date whoever he wants, tyvm :colbert:

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Vikings? More variety in human enemies sounds real good

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

grrarg posted:

Anyone tried mods now that people have them working?

Skip Intro Battle and Big World (doubles map size, doubles the number of noble houses on the map, and adds 50% more towns) sound cool. I hope people come up with an easy way for users to tweak the map generator.

Those both sound awesome, though I'm guessing doubling the map size without changing anything else is going to have unforeseen consequences

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Million Ghosts posted:

so i'm really new to this game and have a few battle tactics beginner questions. i don't know much of anything about builds yet, as a note.

1; my go to strategy is to set up a spear/and or shield wall with some frontliners, with a heavy on each flank and some backline archers and pikemen. this works alright so far but i assume when the enemies aren't dudes with clubs in rags and dumbass wolves it'll probably fall apart. is this right and should i be working towards something else?

2; my 2-handers tend to go down pretty quickly when the enemy has a chance to swing back, is this normal or should i be equipping them with shields and turtling them into range?

3; what's a good frontline/backline split numbers wise? 50/50, 60/40? is it more situational?

for #1, put your spearmen on the flanks and your heavy hitters in the middle of the line

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Wizard Styles posted:

That sounds broken as poo poo.

Unless it prevents you from hiring Hunters. Then it just sounds regular broken.

Yeah, that isn't anything at all of a tradeoff unless they make all of the cheap backgrounds suck somehow. As I was reading it I thought the caveat would be that they'd cap levels at 8 or gently caress up your perks or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Oh, I guess the real downside to the militia start is clicking wait/end turn on 18 motherfuckers every round :f5: