Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Bhodi posted:

You don't just hear it, you feel each shot through your whole body as the shockwave passes, like someone slapping you on your chest but on your whole body. It's singularly unpleasant to be near a rifle at an indoor range.

Oh come on, it's not that bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

ChesterJT posted:

It can be depending on caliber and how close to the muzzle you are and what type of brake they have.

With ear pro? No it can't

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Shima Honnou posted:

Yeah that's grade A "I've only shot either a .22LR or nothing" right there lol

Even powder-only blanks out of a rifle produce a physical shockwave you can feel as the shooter, and also a great way to do New Years.

I spent 6 years in the infantry, the majority of which I carried a 240B (or L), or manned a .50 on a truck. Yeah you can feel a pressure wave, I didn't say otherwise, I was calling out the "even through double ear protection it's just terrible!!".

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Shooting Blanks posted:

How much of that shooting was at an indoor range? The difference between noise at an indoor range and an outdoor range is pretty substantial - the vast majority of my shooting, for instance, is 12GA and it doesn't bother me at all. However I once was shooting at an indoor range and a dude brought his 12GA in to pattern it, I had to leave it was so drat loud.

Qual'd M4 a couple times at indoor ranges, but most of my experience firing indoors comes from firing from inside buildings.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

It should basically have all the movement options that mgs5 has. I feel the opposite, like I don't feel like a person moving at all. You aren't gliding like in CS but wobbling like, well, a potato. I would love backflips and walljumps other crazy poo poo more than realism but at the very least, make me feel like I'm in a place interacting with it and not just bumping into non-moving rectangles.

Honestly I know it feels janky but much like ARMA I think most of it is actually the lack of responsiveness because of (realistic) inertia to the movement. I like twitchy BF1 style games too but I kinda like the realism angle to this game... it's kinda like someone finally made an ARMA-style game that's actually fun.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

I don't play other shooters so I wouldn't know, last played a battlefield game like a decade ago.

The movement doesn't feel like real inertia to me. The worst is like, bumping into things and not reacting and in general, just not feeling like a person moving. Your gait doesn't change when you go up hill, you do the same animation just...slower. Show me scramble up rocks when I'm climbing, actually do something when I run into a wall that is at all like a person running at a wall. (Either hurting me as I thud my head on the wall from running into it full speed, or automatically slowing down over some short distance and pressing up against it would be fine here, just don't....continue the running animation as if the animator couldn't be bothered to talk to the collision detection guy.) I enjoy the (somewhat?) realistic bullet physics and other "realism" aspects, but it seems like they stopped short of making you feel human when you're doing something besides running on flat ground and shooting a gun. (Obviously getting bullet physics right was the most important thing, it shows that they paid attention to that the most, but movement should be second imo.)

As far as other movement options, I think a roll would be reasonable as long as it's not spammable. Hearing shots and being able to dive to a tree or whatever would be fine. The other part of it is that it's straight bizarre that nothing in the world moves or emits sound except for vehicles and people(and rain/fog). For a game that runs as poorly as this one on older machines, it sure is static. Even stuff as simple as factory parts moving in the power plant substation would do a lot to make one feel like they were in a place that exists for humans and not a map full of copy-pasted stock assets.

Okay yeah I agree with that I thought what you were refering to is the jankiness of the movement compared to something like BF1 which is a common criticism leveled at ARMA that is actually largely due to the player having inertia. Most shooters you can change directions instantaneously. They could definitely do it a lot better.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Well I said they have to only use hacks that give them top-human-like abilities, so no x-ray vision. If you can't beat this guy, you can't beat a top 1% player either, and maybe that's acceptable to you but I'm here to be the best and thus dying to someone within human ability range is an unacceptable fuckup to me!!! If anything, I relish the opportunity to practice fighting people with good aim, whether it's computer assisted or not.

This is the gooniest bullshit I've ever read.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

ILL Machina posted:

I think I wouldnt be upset if the undergeared part of the game lasted longer, but the first guy to find an AR in a sea of pistols wins so the ARs have to be somewhat plentiful. Doesn't make sense to try to do that sorta thing in a more open map either.

I wouldn't mind if the mid tier stuff lasted a bit longer. The weapons are just more interesting because they can't seemingly do everything.

Alternatively they could buff the vector and add a late game shotgun that doesn't suck so there's more variety.

Honestly I also think the m24 should be a world drop. Kar fits with the pump/ak/uzi tier of weapons and the m24 would fit wth the m416/S12k/vector tier.

Edit: I kinda feel like there should be a civilian/police/outdated military tier, contemporary military tier, and exotic military tier (crate).

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Dec 10, 2017

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Rex-Goliath posted:

I say this as a huge fan of the vector: no

I always take it along with me if I can upgrade it somewhat. That thing kills people so drat fast at mid to close range it doesn't need to be helped out at all.

I used to love the vector until i realized the ump did significantly more damage per shot and switched and never went back.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Excuse me, but you'll find that all of the shotguns are lategame shotguns when the circle is small enough and in fact do not suck.

The saiga sucks and is intended to be the "late game" shotgun. That's what i was referring to. I'd love to see a m4 super 90 that does as much damage as the pump, can take a sight and choke, and is balanced by the lack of mag and/or high recoil

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Would be cool if they let the Winchester mount only the 2x scope but the model would be a old school brass 2x with a very limited field of view.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Ihmemies posted:

You can actually see the rounds slowly flying even when shooting pretty close to you, a few hundred meters. If the bullet speed was nearly 1km/s you wouldn't even have time to see it.

A) that's muzzle velocity, they slow as they travel.

B) A fraction of a second is actually much longer then you think, you can see tracers in real life at those distances.

I do think they seem to have exaggerated the drag effect a bit.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Live At Five! posted:

This just makes me imagine if DICE made a battle royale. Battlefield already has probably the best gun play of any game plus great vehicles. All they would have to do is make a larger map, which seems possible in frostbite. Plus it would be nearly as glitchy as PUBG is already, so people would feel right at home. At least it would run well and look so much better than PUBG.

That would be fun but I really enjoy the gunplay of PUBG and part of the fun of it is getting a format where "ARMA" gunplay is fun.

I want literally this same game but executed better.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

You guys are loving blind, now that we're back to live server I see 2-3 obvious cheaters a night if I'm playing squad TPP (FPP still pretty cheater-free).

We're not talking about "hurrr he shoot me better" stuff, like obvious as poo poo cheating like killing an entire squad almost instantaneously with full auto headshots from an AKM at 200m+ range, no-scope headshots with the kar on the run (not like one lucky shot, like insta gibbing anyone who poked their head out for even a second... while running), shooting the outside of the building where your head would be as you walk around inside a house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Vahakyla posted:

I think I played TPP in June.

Oh so everyone sucks besides you because you don't see any cheaters but you don't even play the game mode we're talking about.

• Locked thread