Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Bogart posted:

I just thought 'oh, they shared tech from the Dishonored 2 team' because that is some Crack In The Slab tech.

Crack in the Slab is such a good level. It's so good that it's a little depressing because I know it'll likely be years before another game matches that level of mind boggling craft. But still, it's outstanding that The Clockwork Mansion is only the second-best level in that game.

Man, I loved Dishonored 2. If Arkane can design play spaces even half as good for Prey it'll be an amazing game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

In case you happen to be curious, yes, jumping up into the helicopter blades during the opening scene will kill you.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

There's a Nerf Crossbow in this game. Game is good.

It does zero damage, but you can use it to hit buttons and stuff, and the ammo can be recovered.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

fadam posted:

Any news on PC performance yet?

Solid? My rig is several years old and I'm having no problems running on a mix of medium/high setting.

i5 3.30GHz
GTX 760
8 gigs of ram

cheesetriangles posted:

Anyone know where I get my preorder shotgun?

There's a big storage locker in your officer. Just on the right as you come in the door, next to a potted plant.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 23:08 on May 4, 2017

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I'd say combat is functional. About on par for games of this sort.

Whatever control issues people were having they don't appear to be present for kb/mouse.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

I assume it opens a bit later into the game? Because when I first got to my office there was to prompt to interact with that locker.

Nope, it opened the first time I went to my office. Maybe check to see that your pre-order DLC is showing up in steam?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Question about the Do No Harm achievement.

Do the typhon with crew names like the phantoms count? I'm guessing not, but it'd be nice to know for sure.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Normally I'd call this PR posturing, but Arkane is so good at making their games reactive to player action that I'm super curious what he's referencing here.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

cheesetriangles posted:

So some major spoilers regarding the December plot

I went to alex's office and I had level 4 hacking and lifting by this point so I got everything there. Found his private escape pod which needed the ep101 key. This was in his private quarters the crew quarters. I then went back to the Escape Pod and January didn't like I was abandoning the station. But I jettisoned the escape pod and got some kind of looking glass error or something, an achievement, and alex saying something about me being a failure / not the one. Then I got a non standard game over and a loading screen.

The error screen and Alex's line will make more sense once you finish the game the 'normal' way.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Those things are way more useful than I initially gave them credit for.

The toolbox this game provides for navigating its world is super flexible and engrossing. I love it. In any other game the nerf crossbow would be a one-off joke, but here it actually has some practical applications!

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

SoggyGravy posted:

Can someone definitively tell me if I want to mess with typhon nueromods but don't want to trigger some bad ending or w/e ending is associated with it, can I install any of them? There are some mind controlled humans I want to try to save but it seems to require the associated psi power...

Your use of typhon nueromods and whether or not you killed any humans is mentioned in the post-credits scene, and it's... implied that it might have some impact on the outcome of that scene but I'm not sure how much.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

fadam posted:

Is there a good place to get a poo poo load of mineral material? I'm always low.

Like someone said earlier, you can make a big pile of robot corpses, trashcans, and other metal junk then throw one of those grenades at it to break everything down into crafting mats.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I wanted to resist Typhon mods, but they put you in one hell of a quandary. Like, combat stuff is whatever and while the traversal powers are tempting but there's usually an alternate route to any place you might want the reach with said power. But adding one that lets you save mind-controlled humans? How can I say no to that?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Oh, okay. I'm just dumb.

Good on the game for there never being only a single way to do anything.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

I've only played for a few hours in total, but now the game is crashing right when it starts up. It only lets a second of the bethesda video load before it throws an error. I'm (steam) streaming it to a different computer, though, which may be an issue. Ive streamed it once before using nvidia's streaming (moonlight) and it worked fine then albeit i started streaming when the game was already up. When I try it from the beginning now, it seems to load the videos fine but it still throws the error at the beginning (the error ding sounds) and when it gets to the end of the video, it just loads a black screen and nothing else. Has anyone else run into this issue?

Have you verified the steam install, and are your drivers all up to date?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

So here's a question. Are there any static doors in this game? I'm trying to think of one, but am drawing a blank. I'm pretty sure that no matter where you are if you encounter a door, there is some way to reach the room on the other side.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

juggalo baby coffin posted:

is this a better system shock than those lovely bioshock games?

VolticSurge posted:

So far, I'd say yes.

Honestly, this is a better System Shock than System Shock.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Lakbay posted:

There was also a corpse in the area that had a keycard

Fun sequence breaking fact: If you go there ASAP you get to the terminal and see that it's in progress of implementing the DRM and you hit cancel to stop it

I didn't even know the DRM was a thing that actually happened in the game until someone mentioned it here.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Bardeh posted:

No mention of System Shock, and personally I think that this quote:

The number of folks I've seen reference Bioshock and Deadspace with no mention of System Shock or Deux Ex bothers me more than it probably should. Like, I know they're from an earlier generation and didn't see as wide an audience, but if you're going to make reductive comparisons, then you at least ought to know the lineage.

Also, I have played every single one of these games and Prey is better than all of them except Deux Ex.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

bewilderment posted:

So how screwed will I be if I decide to ignore the main plot leading me into Psychotropics, and instead go through the Volunteer Quarters to wherever the hell that leads? I like exploring but I don't want to go too far if I don't have an easy way back.

There's a ~spooky music~ Poltergeist in there after I flicked on the flights but I can't actually tell how to fight it or... how it can hurt me? It can lift me up but nothing quite seems to happen.

Not at all. In fact, you'll probably be better off so long as you're careful with resources.

I ignored Psychotropics in favor of poking around in every nook and cranny of the station I had access too. I also spent around two or three hours tooling around in outer space. It was great, I got to explore a space shuttle with a bunch of dead people on board.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

i am extremely disappointed with the amount of reviews trickling in that sound like they're saying "well it's got bits of bioshock in there but bioshock did it first so it's just a copycat"

I have to believe they're trolling. It's called BioShock for gently caress's sake. It's like panning Disney's High School Musical because "it rips off West Side Story."

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

A lot of people have never heard of System Shock.
System Shock 2 is an 18 years old game after all.

I know, but like I said in my earlier post if you're going to make reductive comparisons, you really ought to know where this stuff is coming from. If anyone is holding up Bioshock as the genesis or the peak of action RPGs then they ought to get some flak for it. If you're writing about this stuff as a job, you maybe should at least know that stuff like Ultima Underworld and System Shock 2 exist, even if you never played them.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 14:16 on May 8, 2017

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

0451 is an institution at this point. It's appeared in so many games.

I... think Thief was the first.

Edit: Oop, nope, it was the first System Shock.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Anti-Hero posted:

Wow, this game will require at minimum three playthroughs if you are achievement hunting. One run for human powers only, one run for typhon only, and finally no powers at all from either branch. Four runs is more realistic as the first playthrough will be a mish-mash of skill points.

You can probably trim some of that with save scumming.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

I imagine that a No Neuromods runs would probably try to skip as much combat as possible and just get the fastest possible ending.

Yeah, someone already did a 45m speed run of the game so I'm sure you can skip a ton of stuff if you're just blazing through for achievements.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

You can use the crossbow to shoot the screen, there is a menu option to unlock the door

This. However, there is another room in this area that appears to be inaccessible. It's called Lab B-3 Typhon Nightlight testing, and there does not appear to be any way to open the door. I've scoured the level and can't find a way in. There's nothing in there but a random mimic, but dammit it is the principle of the thing!

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 21:43 on May 8, 2017

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Also, speaking of minor details. Does anyone know where Rich Ivers is? I was going to the Neuromod Division cleaning up crew locations and it says he's in Fabrication, but when I try to place a marker on him the objective auto-fails. I was worried I'd recycled his corpse or something, but when I load and earlier save before I'd even entered that area, it does the same thing. Any ideas?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

an actual dog posted:

Because Bioshock Infinite was a better hype cycle than a game, and Bethesda didn't provide review copies so some reviewers clearly rushed through and didn't realize what makes the game so good. It doesn't really matter.

It also had a lot of spectacle with all the giant set pieces. Mechanically I think Prey is a much stronger game, but it's a lot easier to be struck by Infinite on a surface level because all the best stuff is shoved right up in your face.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Calling most reviewers bad at games is a little reductive. Sure, it's true sometimes, but more often than not most of them are just busy. They often don't get a chance to stop and let a game soak in, even if they really want to, because they've always got to move on to the next thing.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I wish there were a way past the broken doors other than the mimic power. Most of the doors they lead to have alternate routes, but not all :(

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

an actual dog posted:

polygon gave doom an 8.5, with most of their criticism focusing on its lovely multiplayer.

This is a fair point, even if I disagree with it. I recall that Giant Bomb has a long argument during their GotY talk about how much the tepid Doom MP should impact its consideration.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

There's a reason the phrase "Brad at video games" exists.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Jimbot posted:

Morgan's secretary's password is hotboss. Oh lordy lord.

I love the incidental writing. It's really really good.

Not just hotboss, but OMGhotboss.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Kontradaz posted:

I need your help guys. Tell me if I'm being a huge loving dumbass - but I'm not buying any of the alien powerups because Alex Yu says they are great and then January is telling me that I shouldn't take too many because I'll become like them etc. I feel like the game isn't built around the way I'm doing it and it's kind of getting to be difficult in some parts because guns really suck in general, and I have a shiton of resources but not the primary one that is for ammo/resources I'm hoping there's some sort of payoff at the end for doing it this way, but if there isn't I'm gonna feel like a fool.

In addition to the achievement, there is an after credits scene where your choices throughout the game get summed up. So far as I know, it has no other impact.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Serf posted:

I finally came across Walton Goggins in the game. I like how the "choice" you could make there wasn't really called out as such. You can help the guy out, or read his rap sheet and decide not to. I'm not sure if it will lead to anything later on, but the fact that you could just wander by and not do anything was pretty cool to me.

I'd already opened the armory with my crossbow before I even turned the corner to speak with him and he was like, "oh, I was gonna trade you the code but I guess you're good, huh?"

I let him out because leaving him locked up next to the rapidly expanding alien murder web felt tantamount to killing him.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I missed out on finding everyone on the station because I didn't know that you had to use the security terminal to tag and discover those two survivors trapped in the escape pod launch tube before freeing them. The game does a good enough job with its sequence scripting that I am extremely disappointed by this.

Yes, I know I still can get the achievement with like 90% of people found, but I don't care about the achievement. I wanted to find everyone.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 15:04 on May 14, 2017

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Spudd posted:

I know of three endings: Blowing Talos up, Nullwavin' the Typhon and Escaping in Alex's Escape Pod (which kinda spoils really early on if you go for it ASAP that you're in an experiment) what's the fourth-ish?

Team up with Dahl and kill everybody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

This was the one quest in the game where I was like, "Oh man, Prey, you are really stretching the limits of this silent protagonist thing."

Reminded me of the heavier moments in Half-life 2, where characters would pour their heart out, and Gordan would just be all, O_O