Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Is there a word on recommended system specs? I can run Dishonored 2 decently, but if Prey will be more demanding, I'll have to upgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I haven't read the whole thread, but one thing I've been wondering about that I haven't really seen mentioned anywhere, the Typhon very much remind me of the aliens in the aborted XCOM FPS from 2010. Does anyone know if that's more than just a coincidence? 2K Marin was made up of ex-Irrational people after Bioshock, and it seems possible that more than a few of them have found their way to Arkane and worked on Prey, but the whole XCOM development story is so much of a cluster-gently caress that I have no idea who was responsible for what, or how far along the game was before it got repurposed into The Bureau.

But look at this trailer and tell me there aren't some proto-Typhons right there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdVb4UnqO7A

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Ending cutscene: It would have been nice if the ending choice hadn't been a blatant 'Kill Them All' but something like 'Bring Down Your Prey' to imply a predatory Typhon mind set and give at least token lip service to the title.

I was a little disappointed the January/December situation got resolved so quickly, because when I was first contacted by December, I thought there was going to be a whole bunch of different memo operators throughout the game, giving you mutually exclusive objectives and conflicting stories about what happened to you. That could have made the story a lot more interesting and schizophrenic.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
With Chris Avellone on board, I honestly thought this was going to be Prey's spin on Planescape: Torment's previous incarnations and the various diaries you can find in that game.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
In my game, the final confrontation between Alex and January ended with Alex shooting January, with a great line. "You don't understand the difference between a bug and a feature." It seems most of you had January stun Alex? I prepared both the self-destruct and the null-wave, null-wave first, maybe that was the reason?

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyHuG1ks04A

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
To talk about backtracking, it's a good idea to follow the main plot until you pick up the psychoscope; my recommendation would be to leave areas with ??? enemies (once you know what mimics and phantoms are), until you pick it up.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
To be fair, between Combat Focus and Psychoshock, you could clown on enemies with a completely unupgraded wrench, if you wanted to.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
It mostly spawns after you spend neuromods on upgrades, but I don't know any real further details.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I think the stun gun can activate a total of one computer, and that's probably some kind of bug/oversight in the first place. Do correct me if i'm mistaken.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
There's so many quality of life upgrades you can't take in a Typhon-only run that it's a chore, though.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
They didn't fix several annoying problems with rebinding keyboard commands - when you're aiming a psychic power, for example, jump, crouch, and most importantly, cancel, all revert to the defaults.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

GlyphGryph posted:

Additionally, a chunk of those "xxxx" containers can still be opened without hacking.

Are you saying there's a way to open broken safes that don't even have a working number pad without hacking? I have no idea what other containers you're refering to.

There's a metric ton of neuromods in the game, especially if you backtrack to areas with respawned enemies or recycle psi hypos, lures and nullwaves. There's also a bunch of quality of life stuff you don't have access to without hacking, like operator dispensers and security stations in certain areas. You can do without hacking if you want, but getting it to 2, and almost certainly even to 3 will absolutely pay for itself and make things less complicated.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Don't finish off damaged operators that drop to the floor, this should keep the dispenser from spawning new ones.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Those turrets in the GUTS did pretty well for me on my first playthrough, when I null waved the weaver and technopath.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
There's no point in hoarding neuromods; if you want to min-max your efficiency, get the recycling and necropsy upgrades first, but there's plenty of neuromods and exotic materials in the game. You will be able to fabricate weapon mods later on.

You already had the opportunity to find at least three additional weapons through exploration. But at the point you're at now, my recommendation is to follow the main plot until you pick up the Neuroscope, then get serious about exploring optional areas.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I don't know how else you get into the satellite bay.

Mimic.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
The satellite bay isn't solid, there's a small opening. For the beam lab, you can get on top of the recycle grenade chamber in the lab below it.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I'm pretty sure that one's plot-locked.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
The only weapon that arguably becomes obsolete is the regular pistol. It's primarily a matter of your preferences which weapons you use, assuming you have upgraded your inventory enough to carry all of them. My biggest advice to your earlier question is to not hoard neuromods and weapon upgrades, but use them on what seems best to you at the moment; you can always fabricate more.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
The best counter to ammo scarcity is to improve your damage per shot - by fully upgrading your Firearms, Gunsmith, Sneak Attack skills, etc. and going from there. When I said neuromods were plentiful, I meant if you go craft them; between fabrication and respawning enemies, you can go hog wild.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
You can reactivate his tracking bracelet in Deep Data Storage. It's technically possible to reach him the first time you're doing EVA, but that's the intended solution. I'm sure someone else can give you a full spoiler, if you want it.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Upgrading the golden pistol when you already have a normal one in your inventory is wonky. Try dropping both of them, saving, loading, and picking them up again. I can't tell you the exact procedure, but I had funny stats on it the first time I upgraded it too, but it sorted itself out at some point.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I wonder if it's possible to put Alex into his escape capsule rather than the safe room. Anyone tried that?

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I'm pretty sure they originally had some sort of weapon reliability/degradation mechanic similar to SS2 during development, which got scrapped at some point. Weapon fabrication is mostly a leftover from that.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

the black husserl posted:

And after he left, Arkane straight up said they were done making immersive sims and they were moving towards regular action games.

I'm going to need a quote on that, because this sounds like bullshit.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

the black husserl posted:

i think you're a real jackass for calling me a liar, but it's true. it came straight from the mouth of Harvey Smith. it's part of a much larger interview so the sentiment is broken up over several quotes, but at one point he says it directly: no more immersive sims because the audience doesn't like them. just "action games with brains":

Point taken, and thanks for digging out the quote despite that, but it pretty much confirms that your summary is at best hyperbole. Yeah, after D2 and Prey failed to meet expectations, the writing's on the wall that Arkane might have to do more mercenary work like Dark Messiah for a while, until they can get more funding for games they'd like to do. But D1 was exactly what he says he wants to continue to do - a mainstream game that also works as an immersive sim.

It's just that between the widely reported technical problems at release, and the lackluster plot and story arc, D2 couldn't maintain that mainstream appeal.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Two things really hurt it; First that there's no sense of escalation to the plot; the only time the antagonists do something proactive against you is the ambush by the three witches at the end of the Sokolov mission, which was a laughable response. Apart from that they're completely oblivious to what you're doing, as far as any actual measures are concerned. On the penultimate Mission, the Duke isn't holed up in his bunker, with maximum protection, he's had a drunken party same, as every night. Regardless of whether you've been completely stealthy up to that point, or butchered your way through Karnaca.

The second is that there's almost zero interesting new characters in D2. You had a dozen different people in the Hounds Pit, wheras the Dreadful Wale is almost completely lifeless. Delilah and Billy were already introduced in the D1 DLC, so you can't really count them as new characters. You don't get to interact with Paolo and Byrne over multiple missions in the same way you did with Granny Rags and Slackjaw.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

ToxicFrog posted:

I'm pretty sure they mean Arkane should do a Deus Ex game in the same sense that Arx Fatalis, Dishonoured, and Prey were new Ultima Underworld, Thief, and System Shock games respectively.

I'd really love to see an Arkane spin on Mirror's Edge.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I wasn't really expecting this to happen after Prey underperformed in sales, but I'm super-pumped for a Death of the Outsider-style stand-alone DLC.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
DotO certainly had to make some cuts, such as no longer having two variants of each level based on Chaos, and was a bit shorter than Knife of Dunwall/Brigmore Witches taken together, but its content and level-design was still top notch. If you liked Dishonored 2 it's absolutely worth getting.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Prey - Reployed to the Moon

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
What's the area called where you space walk for the first time? Because special phantoms will keep respawning there pretty much all the time, even when you don't advance the plot.

Later on, they tend to drop more resources than you need to take them out.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
It makes a lot of sense to get the psychoscope first before you go off exploring.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
My old GPU from 2015 has already been creaky in Dishonored 2 and Prey, now I finally have an excuse to upgrade and replay those games.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Thief 3 shouldn't be left out. Also the first two Bioshocks.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I bought one and got a second one for free in the box!

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
FYI, if you haven't played Minerva's Den, you've been missing out. Bioshock 2 had the best gameplay of the Bioshock series, and Minerva's Den has a great low-key stand-alone story unburdened by Ken Levine's ego, or 2's narrative problems. It condenses all the best parts of 2 into a great, short immersive sim.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I haven't played MD, but the impression I got from HR was that a bunch of people who love and understand immersive sims worked on it, but they weren't the people in charge.

The main reason I noped out on MD was that they apparently didn't improve the atrocious XP system at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Are you saying Billy Idol wasn't an authentic shock experience?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lx2fZU5USus