Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
D3 was a letdown, even with Id's commentary. The jokey tone it maintained undermined a lot of the things that made D1 so fun to read through, and the plot twists weren't so bizarre as they were dumb and/or obvious.

Nier had a great story, with one of the best scripts and strangest casts I'd ever seen -- it's the Planescape: Torment of JRPGs. Drakengard 3 is just a bunch of ironic-but-not-really anime stereotypes pasted together with the glue rendered down from a thoroughly beaten dead horse. It felt like Taro Yoko was trying to live up to his hype instead of doing what he wanted and became a self-parody instead. D3 was a good LP, but only because Id's probably the best LPer around.

Nier 2: Automata looks pretty good so far, and I've always wanted to see an open-world game with Reveangance-style combat, so this is promising. I wish they'd stop with the silver-haired sword ladies though, because Kainé is a perfect creature and they will never, ever recapture that beautiful ball of hermaphroditic rage ever again. I also wish Yoko would quit being so on-the-nose with the "time is a flat circle" concept because it's keeping us from getting another protagonist as fun as Caim.

Screaming Idiot fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Apr 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
i.

hear.

a.

sound.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Ah, so now we know where Raiden came from. I knew the whole Liberia story was full of holes.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
"Dickless Vincent Valentine" is a tautology.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Posted in the Badass Pics thread, I thought it was relevant.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
As much as I love seeing Nier and its associated games being LP'd, the way you LP'd crappy games and added your own beautiful touches and custom dialogue in the past was magical. Vincent making an extended Sonic the Hedgehog metaphor about making GBS threads himself still makes me giggle like a child.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Nina posted:

However Emil is an exception. He's all out a Good Boy™

To be fair, the only ones who would disagree were the people of the Aerie, but no such place exists so it doesn't matter. If you kill everyone who doesn't like you, you become a good person! That's math.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Grapplejack posted:

6O is the best gay space robot. :3:

You've been dethroned, C-3PO.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Shoehead posted:

Pascal is our nice effeminate uncle who only wants the best for us and I love him. :kimchi:

Shame we'll probably Emil the hell out of that place before long.

"2B, I know they were machines, but-"
"Don't look back."
"I'm just saying, blowing it up after killing their young and then stabbing Pascal in the-"
"DON'T LOOK BACK, NINES."
"You don't have to get-"
"EMOTIONS ARE PROHIBITED, NOW GET YOUR HEAD OUT OF YOUR rear end AND START loving HELPING ME!"

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Skylight posted:

This is so freaking cute! :kimchi:

And to maintain the Drakenier theme they had a guy dressed as a golem drop a big hollow styrofoam fist on her.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Dudethunder posted:

They needed a grandpa robot for the family simulations and he was all like "Heck this, I'm doing a leave" when he saw what his colleagues were doing. Don't ask about what happened to grandma robot.

32B needed a machine core and it's not like old ladylmachines can put up a fight.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Bugblatter posted:

Eh, the dev's of Arkham Knight say that games Batman model has more polygons than the entirety of Asylum, so if that's possible then I can buy 2B's bum having more than OoT.

They stuffed Batman full of random tetrahedrons. When he gets cut he bleeds Windows 98 screensavers.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I'm really, really hoping Adam and Steve aren't the true antagonists, because I've had it up to here with prettyboys with gray hair and leather clothing from Squaresoft. I love Taro Yoko's work, and Nier is one of my favorite games of all time, but holy god almighty can we please stop cloning Sephiroth.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Speedball posted:

You just know Yoko Taro would have had Adam be anatomically correct if he thought he could get away with it in Japan. Machine life form or not.

Or give him a vagina just for the WTF factor.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Somewhere amongst all this, R. Daneel Olivaw is just slamming his head against the wall in frustration at how unbelievably incompetent everyone is in the setting.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

necroid posted:

I'm re-reading those novels right now and I'm still amazed at how well they hold today, considering they were written in the mid-late FIFTIES. Asimov's robots can be both superhuman and childlike in their interactions which is what makes them so believable as not-yet-human machines.

The only drawback is that Asimov writes human characters the same way. Dude's great at concepts, not so great at characterization.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Reading Asimov's sex scenes is enough to make one wonder if the man was, in fact, a robot trying to simulate humanity. Thankfully he never learned of tight leather pants and tribal tats.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Oh hey, it's Robot Leonard.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Nina posted:

I only ever saw this quest as a Geppetto type situation except mr android built his son all messed up and malfunctioning

What do you mean? We didn't throw any bombs into his mouth or blow up his rocket-hands, nor did we find a blacksmith's mother's corpse afterward.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Or Pascal could predate the machine lifeforms and androids -- he looks like he could have walked out of the Junk Heap in the first game.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
WHICH MEANS WE SHOULD KILL HIM AND USE HIS REMAINS TO REPAIR HYMIR'S FINGER. :black101:

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
So are you suggesting he supports death squads he doesn't agree with? That seems counterproductive.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Radical Freedom: Deathsquad is the best budget Chinese game never made.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Yoko Taro is basically pushing to see how far he can go. I imagine he just busts into the president's office with a bottle of booze in one hand, Emil mask on his head, and he screams "THIS poo poo NEEDS A STAGE SHOW!"

Note that I didn't say the president of Square-Enix. He just finds random presidents. He was at the White House the other day, and Yoko Taro left with a bunch of classified information about Israel and an idea for a mobile phone game about nuclear war and magical girls.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Sentient Data posted:

It can't be that simple, otherwise command would be thrilled rather than demanding murder

"A2, this is a direct order from Command: report to a vending machine and put clothes on immediately."
"gently caress YOU THERE ARE MACHINES THAT NEED STABBING."
"Your epidermis is-"
"gently caress YOU SKIN JUST SLOWS ME DOWN WHEN I AM STABBING."
"We can see your-"
"IT IS STAB O'CLOCK AND I AM INCREDIBLY PUNCTUAL."

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Dark Id, do you pre-record any of the game before starting the LP? You just crank out updates like they're going out of style

Id is basically A2 except his STAB ALL THE MACHINES protocol was replaced with drinking and LPing.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Caim just wanted to show you things, like how to make Red do a loop-de-loop, how to juggle swords, and most of all, your intestines.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Zomborgon posted:

Biology education is important for targets people of all ages!

Caim is all about educating the children. So was Leonard, come to think about it, though he had an entirely... different class in mind.

The class was social studies. Leonard knows how important it is to suppress one's instincts for the betterment of society.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

InequalityGodzilla posted:

Y'all
obviously
Really
Hate
acronyms

Yes
Our
Robots
Have
Asses

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
This Troper believes that TheDarkId is a Deadpan Snarker with a Badass Longcoat with a Cute Monster Girl waifu.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

SarahSyna posted:

Frankly, all we really need to know about Id's backstory or whatever you want to call is that he's ambiguously Irish (or maybe just drank a lot), reacts sensibly to precious wyverns and adorable jesterbots, and poo poo explodes around him enough for him to give the minimum amount of fucks permitted. You know. The important poo poo.

(But seriously, we don't need to know anything except what he's willing to share and we should be a bit more respectful of his boundaries, because this has happened before. And if you've got to loving decipher his posts to provide some larger context, that's not him sharing.)

Edit: As an aside, I just caught up to this thread after about 20 pages, and oh my god the robo king baby sounded so cute! I am so disappointed it died so soon!

So was A2, she wanted it to suffer more.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Qrr posted:

Last time you saw him it was 9000 years ago. I think that's enough time to make a cart with a jukebox.

Even with no hands? Or limbs?

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

dalthorn posted:

Oh god, does this mean that 9S will be masturbating over a comatose 2B?

Taro Yoko walks calmly into the thread, inclines his giant Emil head, and holds up an index card reading YES.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Engels 110-B is apparently Android 16 from Dragonball Z Abridged.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

bondster posted:

Yoko Taro gives us an indepth look into game design

https://twitter.com/yokotaro/status/879148440818561024

History's greatest monster.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

AND A loving STAGE PLAY.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Rangpur posted:

All the best action set-pieces involve a battleship getting hosed up in some manner. Just look at Xenogears for more proof!

Oh, using a battleship is just cheating!

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Someone buy that man an SA forums account!

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
The way the faces are animated in this game is slightly disconcerting, and Adam's goofy-rear end expression is just plain ridiculous. It's as if the game is telling you, "This guy is a creepy chump, stomp a mudehole in his rear end and walk it dry."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Begemot posted:

I'm sure he's fine. Probably just quietly mourning the death of his... brother (?) somewhere peaceful.

Brmother.

• Locked thread