Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Analysis: Game is good. Recommended: Obtain the game "NieR: Automata" and support Yoko Taro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Platinum are massive fans of NieR from a gamedev standpoint of how much it messes with the player and I believe they already had a "pick your IP" contract with S-E on a game.

It was inevitable, really.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

OmegaCake posted:

Ah, Pod. Surprisingly one of my favorite characters, despite being the whole 'I am your robot companion' shtick. I won't go into specifics, but I've realized that the Pod is like if Fi from Skyward Sword was written well as a character. Can't wait to see where this train takes us, even after having beaten the game.

The Pod being voiced by D.C. Douglas certainly doesn't hurt.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

jaclynhyde posted:

Yoko Taro said Automata would have a happy ending.

And it did!

The Dark Id posted:

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Phantasy Star Online 2 has taught me, if nothing else, that 9S' outfit looks garbage as any other color than black. Aside from that, it's a surprisingly modest outfit. Not much to harp on.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Speedball posted:

I'm guessing that Engels is able to use its giant laser beam even while in its stationary form, which is what took out the rest of our doomed squadron.

Now, what I wanna know is, why couldn't we have just stayed on top of Engels where it couldn't hit us and bash our way into its brain slowly from above.

The answer is probably air support and a really thick skull.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

wiegieman posted:

Revengeance is an entirely different (read: better) game compared to the rest of the Metal Gear series. It's about what they all do after everybody realizes giant robots are a boondoggle (cyborg super soldiers, who have samurai duels with lightning swords.)

Metal Gears still make everyone poo poo bricks, though.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Any sufficiently advanced technology, etc., etc.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

CommissarMega posted:

Speaking of which, what happened to the Sun? I seem to recall something in Nier about it never being seen or something. That said, if it's spoilery, just say so and I'll speak no more of it.

The magic bullshit that Caim and Angelus brought over from the Drakengard universe hosed the world up so hard the sun stopped in the sky. This could mean anywhere from Earth no longer moving to the sun literally revolving in geostationary orbit around the earth. This would result in a hellbaked desert for the side with sun and an ice cube for the side that doesn't, but I suppose magic happened.

It's yet to be confirmed if that's the case still.

Materant fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Apr 5, 2017

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

A part omitted from TDI's summary of the "don't tell her" choice is that she mentions she's going to become a combat unit. It, like the rest of that option, is rather depressing because you know she's gonna die. It's also a nice contrast to the other option, where she mentioned 11B looked down on her for not being a combat unit.

She does still give you the things for the exact same reason though.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Pwnstar posted:

I can hear that sound super well in that video, its very unpleasant but I literally never heard anything like that while playing the game.

Same, which is really weird to me.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Begemot posted:

Pretty sure they don't show up in the desert until... later.

No, they can absolutely show up now, just not at any of the quest markers here. It's a bit of a surprise Id didn't run into them.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

vdate posted:

If you just hang out without attacking at any of these target areas, do the machines extend you the same courtesy?

Nope. Them robots are dicks.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

apocalypticCritic posted:

There's a very well done LP that very handily points out that the only way the game's plot makes sense is if you assume literally everyone involved is a complete moron.

With the exception of Caim, who just wants his dragon buddy back.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

I'm glad we're getting this fight with Santana out of the way early.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

So Santana birthed another Pillar Man? I'm enjoying this hot new take on Jojo, even if they aren't ridiculously shredded.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Jagged Jim posted:

The Saddest Rhino posted:

This cannot continue

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

In a world set in a future literally longer than our recorded history from now, arguing about teleportation seems just a little silly.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

I was actively trying to be a horrible person my first playthrough to see what happened, so I killed the party tank.

For assorted reasons, that died with the party tank.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Those loving snakes were my first death in the game. Fun fact, they're electrified! As in, if you touch them at all you'll take damage. So what happened was I accidentally clipped one of them and got stunned long enough for another one to ram its drill up my rear end.

gently caress those snakes.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Qrr posted:

I actually had some pretty decent success using the missiles against the snakes, though this was after upgrading them a couple of times. They home in on the weak point reasonably well.

By that point the game might as well be over for how scarce the materials are in normal play. Upgrading pods is not a viable solution to the snakes for the time they remain a threat.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Morbi posted:

I've always wondered how that works, exactly. Would Inuart's throat close up entirely whenever he tries to sing, or does he just sound like a huge off-key rear end in a top hat?

It's magic. It doesn't have to explain jack.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

I never thought about this before, but does this mean Caim was still able to sing? I mean, he lost the ability to speak, but that appears to be an entirely different thing. Caim singing his intentions through the entirety of the original Drakengard would have been great.

I mean, apparently he could still laugh, so who knows?

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

There were definitely some factors that contributed to its success in Japan, at least. Phantasy Star Online 2 got some crossover stuff and an ad that played for like a month before (and after) its release in Japan.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

GeneX posted:

I mean "detain deserters holding being military tech" is a fine justification for a sidequest alone, no need to mention resistance things.

Fixed that for you.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

OmegaCake posted:

What about the death system?

At least that leaves bodies everywhere in boss fights for you to recover off of.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Jetrauben posted:

9S's constant insistence that machines don't have sapience is pretty obviously self-serving bullshit.

The game's made it pretty clear up to this point the only person he's fooling with that drivel is himself, and even that's starting to crumble.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Ultimately though, we'll never know the truth of the matter. (Brain)dead robots tell no tales.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

ZeeToo posted:

I'm dying to know the delivery of 2B's line, but it's not in the highlights.

It's not voiced.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Reviewers couldn't follow a red X and told everyone the game sucked because of a fishing minigame when said area was way out of their league.

See: https://lparchive.org/NIER/Update%2014/

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

I guess disconnecting from the network is a one way road and once you do it, there's no turning back.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

It's also a meme so odds are pretty good you're going to hear it at some point or other.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Put simply, he'd rather be a background element but that ceased being possible years ago when he dropped 50 foot tall cannibal space babies on us.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Solitair posted:

Yoko Taro is an old man in a wheelchair who is always just off camera and is never directly acknowledged but who's totally been there the whole time.

So how long until Yoko Taro and Kotaro Uchikoshi collab on a game?

...I'm not sure the world is ready for a Zero Escape game with those two working together.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Omobono posted:

As long as Pascal's pacifism modifier doesn't overflow/underflow it'll be fine.

(p.s. please tell me that picture is official and not fanart)

Sad to say it's probably fanart, unless that's a loading screen. The official version just has Atlas holding up the world as the statue instead.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

9S, wipe your face. That's disgusting.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

As far as I can tell, the actual reason everyone in the Amusement Park got zombied is because they were on the network when Eve went nuts. Though that doesn't really explain everyone else unless everyone else got off the sinking, burning ship.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

euphronius posted:

Man I hope this game turns around mood wise . This is a bummer

I wouldn't expect 9S' story to get any more chipper any time soon. All the same though, goddamn. 9S did not remotely deserve how much the game is making GBS threads on him now.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

:mrwhite:

Pull up, thread! PULL UP!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

It's almost like being human or human-like is a disease in the eyes of Yoko Taro.

• Locked thread