Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Open house in t-12 hours. Wish me luck guys.

If we sell the house tomorrow I'm going to assemble a kit cobra in the basement of my new house one piece at a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

it will spend 40 years in the basement and I will leave it to my least favorite child when I die.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

slidebite posted:

Have viewings lined up for myself tomorrow as well starting at 1500. Not a big fan of open houses myself because IMHO those are more for your agents benefit and exposure than your home but good luck man here's to hoping there is a kit in your future!
E:
AI group buy?
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/tappen-michael-hall-cars-1.4049999

That was unfortunately an April Fools'
Just funny to think how my wife would poo poo herself with a car in the basement and no way to get it out.

From here on out I'm not building anything I don't get to ride/drive. I'm loving done with garage queens.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Netflix Live is amazing.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

regal catte

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
FUCKKKKKKKK I missed out on a sweet vise today :(

Free. Neighbor claimed it before me.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Zapping stops the heart to attempt to let it restart normally on its own, because it's having a feedback loop of bad electrical activity.

It's like getting a harmonic suspension shimmy on grooved concrete. Sometimes all you need to do is stop completelyand start up again smoothly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKtPWGvmAXw

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Adiabatic posted:

Diss Richmond and we're fuckin fighting, though :colbert:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
This thread is killin it. House buyin', getting engaged...

:ohdear: We're becoming domesticated guys. Quick someone buy a track prepped e30 or something!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

CornHolio posted:

I'm working on making a bad decision!

Then again, I'm married and have children and oh my god this is my midlife crisis isn't it

Actually you make a very good point. We're getting up there in age, and some of us will be hitting our midlife crises soon...
I can't wait to see some of the poo poo that we come up with :getin:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
So the wifey and I are in Charlottesville celebrating our one year anniversary.
Ben Folds is playing a sold out show and there's a dude out front trying to give away his 2 tickets because he wants to go see the Mantras play down the street instead.
:negative: we had to take a pass because we were both starving (not literally), on our way to dinner reservations, and the wife really wasn't feeling up for a show tonight.

On the upside, the Hotel sent up a complementary bottle of champagne and some chocolate covered strawberries.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

BraveUlysses posted:

ben folds or ben folds five? this is important

cause if it was BFF i just dont know how you'd live with yourself

Just Ben. I still think he's great though. I can totally see why that dude would rather go see the Mantras but I lived in Richmond so that was sorta a daily thing for me for a while. Ben Folds, not so much.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Got an offer on the house. HERE WE GO!

Full ask, but they want us to pay $5000 in closing costs. I countered saying we'd be nice and give them $1000 but that's it and we get to stay through the end of May.
We've still got other showings this week so I'm feeling pretty good about it.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

slidebite posted:

:hfive:
Accepted an offer on mine a few days ago myself. Listed for 2.5 weeks which is pretty drat good considering homes in our price range are typically on the market for 60-90 days.

Deal was made within $1K of asking price, but they wanted our washing machine, dryer and deep freeze. Deep freeze is no biggie as it's about 15 years old and to be honest a pain in the rear end to move (besides, I could get a newer far more efficient one at Costco for $200) so I guess we're shopping for washers and dryers. Deciding between an Electrolux set or a Speed Queen @2x the price. I am ruling out Samsung or LG due to the absolute nightmare horror stories I've heard of servicing them and parts. Even with the appliances, we're still over our minimum of what we would have taken as a bottom line, so we're happy.

Start moving into the new shack end of next week.

Congrats! We just accepted an offer on ours. They wanted us to pay $5k in closing costs, which isn't absurd but we just weren't willing to do. Unfortunately the buyer is cash poor and really needs the money so we came up with a creative solution; lose the home warranty, bump the cost of the house up $1500 and give them $3000 in closing costs. Fingers crossed that we can get everyone to the table on this. We go to the design studio next weekend to pick out the finishings in our new home.

The one hang up I have about this new house is that they don't insulate the garage, so I'm going to have to go behind them and rip out a bunch of drywall that the builder just put up.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Maksimus54 posted:

Maybe try blow in insulation? No need to rip all the walls off

I might do slow-rise foam fill but we'll see. It depends on if I can get them to either not put up the drywall or at least not tape. The real problem is that I'd still need to put a vapor barrier up, so I'm probably going to have to pull out the drywall anyway. Oh well... Might as well get some 110v and 220v lines, ethernet, and speaker wire in there while I'm at it. Come to think of it, I'm probably going to want to modify the garage quite a bit structurally anyway.
The garage is incredibly tall inside, which is awesome but leaves me a shitton of unusable space above the garage door. I'm thinking I might run beams across the garage above the door, bolt the door tracks and opener to those and then put in flooring above the door to make that a huge 10'x18x5' storage area. It'll probably be required since apparently the roof trusses won't allow for me to put in flooring and use the attic as storage.

slidebite posted:

Ugh, they went through the effort of drywalling but didn't insulate at all behind it? :smithicide:

Congrats though, hope it works out! April really seems to be real estate month in AI this year. We get posession Thursday and will probably start some light moving Thursday PM. Movers are queued up for Friday. We're starting to take things down for packing right now. Was kind of sad with our last weekend in this place. :(

They haven't even put the foundation down yet actually. We have to close on our current house before they'll build our new one because we're buying contingent upon the sale of our house.
However, in talking with the sales person, they definitely don't insulate or do a vapor barrier. Both of which I want. The vapor barrier is absolutely required by me, because the garage is inset into the footprint of the house so it shares it's walls and ceiling with the rest of the house. It's not like I sit in the garage with the door closed and the car idling constantly, but I do work on motorcycles. So, sometimes I have to work with really nasty chemicals or let a bike idle while I tune the carbs and I really don't want that seeping into the kitchen or a bedroom.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Larrymer posted:

What about smokers? What kinds/types do you guys use and recommend? Looking to buy my first one and would like something with temperature control and looking at pellet smokers at the moment.
Pellet smokers are for wussies.
Barrel with offset smoker box is my go to. I also really like vertical box smokers if I'm doing something big because I can just hang it and forget about it for a whole day.

OH gently caress! you just reminded me that my coworker has a couple dying apple trees I need to cut down.
Who want's some bacon?

BraveUlysses posted:

big green egg

I just recommended this to my coworker yesterday. They're a touch on the expensive side but holy gently caress are they efficient.

The Locator posted:

Ignore sales. Once the construction starts, go find the general contractor at the site and pay them directly to do this. I've seen this done a fair bit and it's cheaper than including it in the house pricing and they will almost always do it for you.

The vapor barrier on the shared interior walls is almost certainly required by code.

You know that's what I loving thought too. I'm gonna see if I can get the foreman's number and take him out to lunch or something. I also wanted him to run conduit from the basement utility closet to the attic since there's no straight shot that I can run wires. The HVAC does all sorts of weird twists and turns to get through the house because of the layout, and there's just no easy way to get between the two locations.
I know they will let me in the house to inspect the construction process but I won't be allowed to touch or do anything to the house until they're finished.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Well after waiting like 8 months I think it's finally new phone time. I passed on getting the Google Pixel when it came out, and it's been sold out ever since then. Now the LG G6 and Samsung S8 are out it doesn't even seem like the XL is that great of a deal. The Pixel XL has no water resistance. Also has no expandable memory, and no 64G option. 28Gigs is not gonna be nearly enough so I gotta pony up $100bux for a 128G model which means I'm gonna be pushing $1000 for a loving phone? No thanks. Besides, the new Google Pixel phones are gonna be out in 6 months anyway. I can't really wait that long so I'm thinking it's LG G6 time or I just stick with Samsung's TERRIBLE touchwiz UI and get the S8.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Jesus loving christ what the hell did I start?
I'm so sorry thread.

srs tho android4lyfe

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Fermented Tinal posted:

Thank gently caress I booked off vacation months ago and have the next two weeks off.

Got emotionally burnt out from the stress at work a few days ago, went to the head of HR about it even. I've talked about it a lot on slack, but basically I've been miserable over being kept in the dark about my job's stability, and I've gone from 285 to 200lbs since at least December (possibly Sept, when I was promoted, but I didn't really notice the weight loss until the past couple months) due to that and stress over the lack of respect a number of my coworkers show for the work I do to support their production. I might have an out though, that results in a lateral move along with a normal 40 hour work week instead of 12 hour day/night continental rotation bullshit that has been my life for the last two and a half years.

Now to spend a couple days decompressing and getting my house back to some semblance of order, and with the nice big deposit the CRA should be making into my bank account soon, work on the FJ can resume with the warming weather. I'm feelin' better already and things are looking up.

Enjoy your time off. I just took a long weekend after being incredibly stressed out the last few weeks. I needed it. Had a great trip to Charlottesville with the wife.

So the home inspector showed up today for the inspection. He and the buyer were there like 20 minutes early, and I ran into them on my way out of the house.
It was sort of awkward. We both had this "uhhh you're not supposed to be here" reaction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Bye April! You've been a good month, but I'm ready for some sweet sweet Mayday!

• Locked thread