Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Only ever tap O to open chests. Playing Nioh had me in the habit of holding, but holding is just for talking to 9S...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Pro Tip: Fallout Shelter is a free to play tie-in to a mediocre game. The easiest way to enjoy it more is probably just to lower your standards so that you find boring poo poo more enjoyable...

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

give head or get dead posted:

I got my copy of persona 5 on friday! Game is very good

...this is the first time you've come up for air, isn't it?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
What's wrong with Mouse form?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Consumption is the worst.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm glad that people here like Dunkey. He's just so fun and funny.

I got into him from his MGSV videos, and the fact that he made 3 videos for mgsv is how I knew he was awesome.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Should be called Boy or Girl.

Boy || Girl

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Some publishers think that when you take a screenshot of their game, it captures a part of their profits.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

I'll wait and see what the reviewers I personally trust say, there's still a chance this is a God Hand situation, but yeah.

If YL is getting bad reviews because instead of a 3d platformer collectathon it's actually a tight 3d beat em up, that would be fantastic :P

edit: ^ No Man's Sky wasn't even like, a year ago

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Nate RFB posted:

Whenever I feel the itch to go back to a 3D collectathon platformer I've honestly just gone back to Mario 64. That game has aged surprisingly well for what it is and when it came out.

But how many half A button presses does it take for you to beat it?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
A game where you start out fat and ugly, but you can grind a lot to be super ripped and get cosmetic surgery to look more attractive. But at the beginning of the game people won't bang you because you're ugly. If you get all the changes, they still won't bang you because they just don't like you that way. In fact, they actually got with someone who's not very attractive either but has a great personality while you were busy minmaxing your image. But like, in a way that this comes off as critical towards the player and not in a MRA kinda way.

Wow that actually sounds impossible to accomplish. Like 90% of gamers would take away the message of "wow, bitches, amirite?"

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I turned the entire hud off in Witcher 3 and learned what each herb actually looked like. That's right. I can't identify any plants in real life, but when I was playing Witcher I was practically a botanist.

edit: Nier: Automata is literally on track to outsell Bloodborne.

I kinda doubt that it actually will, but it had a hell of a strong start.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Help Im Alive posted:

Are there games in may

Save this for the May thread title.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

oddium posted:

i wish you could change 2b's post-dodge popup to 9s' uh. non-popup. a2 too

Yeah, but I fix this by just using a heavy weapon for my post-dodge attacks.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Aka the "Miku is more ethical than RoboCop" argument.

Which is true.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Dr Cheeto posted:

You have ten seconds to kawaii

Amazing.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
All of those sentences seem grammatically correct?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
To think a forum would appear as such.

^ and? Also, I googled "Glascoigne" and when I got a hit for a video of the fighting "Glascoigne" I stupidly thought that meant it was correct. I don't ever read boss names above health bars. I'm busy fighting them.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Ometeotl posted:

"A public transit bus was driven down an opposing lane with its customers still in it!"

It's grammatically correct but awkward as all hell. Very clearly "machine"-translated.

That's pretty rough. I didn't see that one.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

But soft, what light through yonder anime breaks? Tis the far east, and Persona is the rising sun!

this is orientalism :colbert:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

The next video is great too. Especially if you read the video descriptions.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I give the English in P5 a 5/7. It's up to you whether that's perfect or not.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I want someone to make an LP using like, a loving voice changer and upload videos only to anonymous torrent sites just to stick it to Atlas and point out how dumb it is to try to keep it a secret in this day and age.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I just wrote, in the middle of my essay about Oryx and Crake, "I HEAR PERSONA 5 HAS A REAL BAD TRANSLATION".

I did not.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

I fuckin hate this, but goons dogpile on me every time I suggest that you should be able to just say "no" to a quest and not have it added to your log in these games, so I feel like something of a kindred spirit.

edit: And even when you can say "no", it's not like, "no I don't want to do the quest". Your character phrases it as "No, I don't want to do it but I will when I feel like it". gently caress you, I said no, I'm not helping you carry your sofa up the stairs to your apartment for 30 caps or whatever.

Just do what I do and kill people who annoy you. In games. Not real life.

One of the many times I tried to start Fallout: New Vegas, there was some dick who was asking for help and then being an ungrateful dick about it, so I shot him in the head. I did that to a lot of people. I could never get into that game.

edit: :argh: beaten.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

Brutal, but acceptable.

edit: And I was only barely exaggerating/joking when I made that post. It genuinely is annoying that these games will just assault you with stuff to do, it's a problem many open world games have (most recently Nier Automata). They just give you a gigantic list of random assorted things to do and imo it makes it feel cluttered and annoying. And Nier Automata is like the first game of its kind I've seen that lets you straight up say 'no' and come back to help when you're not already busy.

it's part of what kills New vegas for me. I have the complete edition or whatever, so everytime I start a new game, it gives me a full inventory of DLC poo poo and gives me like 5 extra quest markers.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Whether it's a $10 toy or a $500 collectible is kind of the key factor...

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Lizard Wizard posted:

Went out yesterday to buy a computer chair, came home with a friend

For some reason I had a really hard time parsing this image. At first I thought the little lap belt was a giant banner in the background and you bought some like 16 foot inflatable thing.

I figured it out though.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
People eat pokemon as food.

What's going to really blow your mind is "are there non-pokemon animals in the ecosystem?"

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Cowcaster posted:

in an ecosystem where dogs bark lasers how did the human race not get driven to extinction before inventing the wheel

I think that non-pokemon animals used to exist, and pokemon evolved (considering what evolution means in pokemon, this makes perfect sense) as an invasive species and all non pokemon animals went extinct.

edit: Any sufficiently evolved pokemon is indistinguishable from human.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Tropical Freeze sounds like something you'd see on a taco bell menu.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, and gay characters on TV in a good light and not just complete stereotypes feels like something that happened entirely in the last decade. I guess almost 2 decades. It feels like we've come such a long way though. Like 2 shows I'm watching now both had characters (not major ones) who just happened to be gay and it wasn't some kind of plot point and was treated as entirely normal by every other character.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Does Will and Grace count as a step forward or a step back?

I never watched Will and Grace, or a whole lot of 90s TV, but I was counting it in the "stereotype" column by reputation. Dawson and Buffy both did gay and lesbian (respectively) primary cast characters around the same time in the late 90s/early 00s. I'm sure they weren't the only ones to do it in that time period. There are much earlier outliers too: I know that Golden Girls did at least one episode about lesbian acceptance in season 2 (1986). I think they did more later, but I'm only halfway through season 3 right now, so I haven't gotten to them yet. It's still different from having a primary cast member though.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It's been a long learning process. I remember the chatter during that show's run about Jack being a total stereotype, but still valuable because there were so few examples of representation that were on network TV every week.

It's like how Queer Eye for the Straight Guy was such a big thing but now that Netflix wants to remake it everyone is rolling their eyes

I mean, as much as stereotypical portrayals can be bad and can set things back, I feel like portrayal of stereotypes as acceptable, good people in society is still a stepping stone.

"Blaxsploitation" as an umbrella genre, contained plenty of films that reinforced stereotypes in a negative way. The term "Blaxsploitation" was coined by Junius Griffin, who was executive director of the Hollywood branch of the NAACP in 1972. He argued that these films exploited black culture and warped children's minds with violence and cultural lies. But at the same time, the existence of the economic powerhouse of the blaxsploitation genre paved the way for black film makers and created opportunities for black actors and actresses that would not have existed without that stepping stone. The Black Panthers embraced blaxsploitation films that showed strong willed black characters. James Earl Jones said "even the black exploitation movie has a role to play. The groups trying to cancel these movies are fighting a losing battle. I think there is a call for such movies. The black image is in a state of creation."

That's paraphrased from Allyson Field's L.A. Rebellion: Creating a New Black Cinema

But I feel like the portrayal of gay and lesbian characters in television has been following a similar trajectory from exoticism, to exploitation, to real acceptance. Trans acceptance is lagging behind, but I hope that it catches up quickly.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Dewgy posted:

10 Second Ninja was surprisingly fun. The weird score attack levels are surrounded by a really, really odd plot, though it's short enough that it doesn't overstay its welcome.

PS4 or PC?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Just start making unrelated posts about what other arena shooters you want to play.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I got into SA from the front page. Like, I had gaming friends in first college who would share front page articles and stuff. After awhile of following that, I mentioned a front page article to one of them, and they were like "oh, I don't even look at the front page anymore, I just hang out on the forums". So of course I looked into that. Now I haven't looked at the front page in years.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I use both. The great thing about reddit is how much you can curate the content. By editing your subscriptions and creating multireddits and stuff. I don't think it's much more toxic than this place as long as you use tools to avoid or tag toxic elements.

It's gotten very worse much recently, probably due to Trump. A lot of misogynist poo poo is making it to the unfiltered front page. But that's what happens when you take a cross section of the entire internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Mr E posted:

I use Reddit for their scale modeling subreddits which are actually good and have little enough people to build a community and one or two game specific reddits, but I'm gonna be real sad when these forums shut down because 99% of Reddit is lovely and annoying to read.

yeah, when these forums shut down, I will have 900% more time to actually work on fixing my life.

Which I will devote to video games and shows.

Without CineD, why would I even watch movies...

• Locked thread