Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

iospace posted:

Almost time for the playoffs! :woop:

With the last spots still up for grabs, who will make it! Will the Flyers somehow snipe one? Nope. Will CBJ somehow pull off the President's Trophy? Maybe, if the Caps played like they did in Arizona more.

Is The Streak over?

Yup.

I hope the Jackets win the Presidents trophy because Pens/Caps being a first round series would be a true mockery of this playoff format.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Aphrodite posted:

We're not looking at a situation where like John Scott is still a top 1000 hockey player in the world or something. Referees are not finely filtered into the NHL like players are. There's a lot of cronyism involved..

I'm sure there is to a degree but imo NHL refs are among the best of any in pro sports (not saying much, granted) and generally do a pretty good job.

I mean especially compared to baseball and basketball officiating they're amazing in comparison

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I wish Ovechkin had killed Dubi instead because I'm sure tomorrow is gonna be another poo poo fest

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
This seems like a bad idea.

I hope Karlsson goes and plays and the Sens miss the playoffs by two points so Melnyk can cry about the Olympics still finding a way to screw him.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ThinkTank posted:

Yeah, that announcement was the writing on the wall for me. It was an obvious backup plan for breaking into the Chinese market if the Olympics didn't work. It's not gonna draw any meaningful interest though. Pro sports teams showing up to play an exhibition game somewhere else is a novelty at best. The Olympics legitimizes anything and will ensure serious attention.

The NHL probably killed any real efforts into making inroads into China over $14M. That seems like a worthwhile gamble to me.

Oh well, the Canada-Sweden snoozefest will likely go down as the last NHL Olympic game ever. What a disappointing ending.

Don't worry I'm sure the players will get it back next lockout in exchange for complete wage slavery 24/7 work hours and 90% of all proceeds generated going directly to the owners

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ThinkTank posted:

Just about the only people who could change that would be the Chinese government insisting on NHL players, and seriously why would they do that?

More revenue in theory except nobody in China gives a gently caress about hockey so yeah

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ElwoodCuse posted:

I'm glad this Olympics bullshit is over and Crosby and Malkin and Kessel better not go anyway

Crosby probably wont but if Ovechkin and the other Russians do you can bet Malkin will

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Kilza posted:

https://twitter.com/reporterchris/status/849002138634268676

So who's excited for the lockout in 3 and a half years?!?

Lol if you don't expect a lockout every time the CBA expires or has an opt out clause now anyways

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Btw Sid did a thing the other day that was pretty dumb and almost led to a goal:

He pretty good

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Trying to decide if I feel like taking the 11 hour to Pittsburgh to see a game. I almost dropped 900 or whatever to go see game 5 last year in the finals, but I didn't. That would have been a fun game to go to though even though they lost.

I might go if they make a deeper run again.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Definitely gonna go see a Preds playoff game at least as that's only a few hour drive.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Slappy Pappy posted:

Looking at it like this makes the 2016-17 Pittsburgh Penguins that much more impressive.

Despite all the injuries you can still win some games when you have Crosby, Kessel, and Murray. Although Kessel hasn't even been playing that well so it's mostly Crosby and Murray doing the lifting.

e: Mcdavid has 4 games to hit 6 points. I'd be surprised if he didn't hit 100.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Just because the scoring rates are similar across the three leagues doesn't mean the talent level is, but that's a hard thing to measure so who knows.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
The NHL is spiteful but I can't imagine they'd ban Ovechkin from playing in the playoffs because he hosed off for two weeks to the olympics.

At worst there will be a fine.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Ties are lame and shootouts are hilarious.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Gio posted:

ties are dumb. the only arguments i see for ties come from purists. as if regular season isn't boring enough already, apparently we gotta make it even more boring because shootouts are a skills competition.

If you're gonna be that purist you might as well take it all the way and say that the Cup should just be given to the best regular season team because that's the purest display of skill rather than a short tournament where anything can happen.

*Caps fans ears perk up*

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
So award chat. Does Burns still deserve the Norris? Karlsson has closed the gap in points and has a trillion blocked shots and plays two more minutes a game. Gets harder zone starts too. Burns has out performed him from a possession standpoint though but part of that is to be expected given Burns is deployed much more in the o-zone

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

5 years playing hockey and I've never gotten a chin zit from my cage.

Maybe you should invest in some cleaning products. :v:

Yeah I can't recall dealing with that ever either. Maybe back in high school.

On the other hand my helmets seem to generate mold inevitably even though I air them out outside after every game :negative:

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Aphrodite posted:

I'm going to invoke the PAS rule. Someone boarded Pastrnak earlier so it was justified. Hockey play.

An eye for an eye, a crotch for a crotch.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Mind_Taker posted:

:agreed:

So who is Pittsburgh's #1 defenseman now? Schultz? Dumoulin?

It's kinda by committee. All of Schultz, Hainsey, Dumo, and Cole are averaging around 20 mins a night right now.

Sounds like Daley may be close to coming back and he'd figure to be a big minute eater as well.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Goddamn that is terrible news. I guess we can't win the cup every year though (and it's not entirely off the table but eh, Letang is the 3rd pillar of our offense and I just don't think Schultz/Daley/Maatta can fill that void when the games get close)
Let's see Crosby get the Richard/Hart at least

Pretty sure Mcdavids got that Hart locked down.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Aphrodite posted:

Sure he might lead in points, but how many dicks has he speared? Probably like only 3.

Sadly Crosby finished second there too behind Marchand.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
If the Caps can't win it all this year I don't know what to say. Letang is gone, Werenski is gone(?), the rest of the East is whatever, and nobody in the West is on their level except Chicago.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Marchand died for Crosby's sins

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Powershift posted:

Pittsburgh are probably going to rest some of their better players, so the leafs might be able to lose one in overtime.

I wouldn't be sure about that. Crosby might want to play to keep atop the goals race, and Malkin is likely to play in one or both of the Pens' final two games as a tune up if he's able to go.

Wouldn't be surprised to see other guys rested though, and you might see the Mafster.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Mind_Taker posted:

Columbus is probably going to be playing hard for a victory given their current losing streak. I can't imagine Torts playing it safe in the midst of a 5 game losing streak. Pittsburgh might let the foot off the gas a bit but they are still stupidly talented even if they end up resting Crosby and a few others. I'd imagine Malkin would play if healthy though to get him back up to game speed.

Also remember that it's not just the Lightning, it's the Islanders who could overtake the Leafs and their schedule is @NJ and OTT, so I could easily seem them winning both.

I'd still bet against the Leafs missing, but it's not a super longshot or anything.

Crosby might still play tomorrow given he's gunning for the Richard. Malkin has also said he wants to play in one or both of the last two games as a tune up. So the Leafs might get a bit screwed by that although I doubt the Pens are gonna come out with an all world effort or anything and they might get to play Maf.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
e: double post

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Sully said Murray isn't hurt, so yay on that.

Koopa Kid posted:

Neither Pittsburgh or Columbus has anything to play for and should be resting as many starters as they can, it's not like the games aren't winnable.

But Leafs fans know it won't matter.

Crosby is playing tonight. Malkin is not. Maf is starting.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
These were the morning skate lines:

Guentzel-Crosby-Sheary
Kuhnhackl-Cullen-Kessel
Simon-Bonino-Sestito
Wilson-Rowney-Archibald

lmao at that third line

Dumoulin-Maatta
Cole-Daley
Hainsey-Schultz
Streit-Gaunce

Sullivan said Maatta is not playing so probably Streit or Gaunce in.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Mind_Taker posted:

I hope the Capitals re-sign Shattenkirk and, if need be, trade Carlson to the moon to make it possible. He's such a huge upgrade unlike pretty much every single Capitals deadline acquisition going back to like Fedorov and Huet.

I wouldn't mind the Pens chucking some money his way given the Letang situation. I imagine he'll sign with the Caps or his beloved Rangers, though.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Mind_Taker posted:

Leafs only need a point tomorrow to avoid the Caps. I'd rather play the Leafs and their lovely defense than the Bruins so go Jackets.

Yeah it'd be shocking if the Caps didn't steamroll the Leafs but I could see the Bruins giving them a hard time.

That game was a master class in trolling by the Pens. They gave each potential playoff team some hope at different times.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

JoelJoel posted:

Perfect, now fire the goaltenders and the defence.

Realtalk tho, ruff was perfectly fine, he was just given poo poo to work with and everyone was broken for half the season. Seems he's just fine with retiring.

I don't say this about many teams but Maf would be a legit upgrade there.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Mind_Taker posted:

Pittsburgh is going to win their first round series.

Of course they are. Then they get to beat the Caps minus Letang because of course that would happen.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Somehow Benning fell rear end backwards into the correct result anyways so no harm no foul I guess? Well, other than the poo poo contracts he signed guys to.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ElwoodCuse posted:

Rivalries are baloney and they change, grow and die all the time and the playoffs should go back to 1-8

Peripheral rivalries maybe. Stuff like Pens/Rangers waxes and wanes.

Others like Pens/Flyers, Rangers/Isles, Rangers/Devils, Bruins/Canadiens...that poo poo is eternal. Doesn't matter who is on the teams or how good/bad they are.

But yes this playoff format is garbage.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ThinkTank posted:

So no, he's done a great deal of harm and it'll probably taken another 5-8 years to unravel this mess. You know, I think it might've been possible to rebuild the Canucks quickly back in 2014 if the team had tried that. Instead they didn't and we got 6 playoff games out of it and now it means a full teardown rebuild is necessary. Fun.

The Devils and Canucks are so bad but it's hard for me to even name more than a few good promising players they have.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Suspicious posted:

I have this odd aversion of Sutter because every time the camera's on him, it looks like he's sucking his face in as hard as he can.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
It definitely didn't work in Pittsburgh either but JR and the Pittsburgh media keep stubbornly bringing up how great it is the Pens have goalie depth like Maf won't be an absolute disaster the second he steps into a playoff game.

Also they picked up Condon off waivers earlier in the season and he's probably no worse than Maf and may actually be better. Of course they got rid of him rather than Maf though.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

That article mentioned the NBA ratings were down too.

It's so easy to just stream games now whether legally or not. Ratings will probably continue to suck across the board for anything not the NFL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

I wonder if Shero would hire him again in New Jersey given how rear end Hynes has been

• Locked thread