Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

ThinkTank posted:

Yeah, they improved over the season but so do most cup winners. Generally the team with the best record over the last 20-30 games of the season has the highest chance of winning the cup. With that said, the Kings didn't show any sustained improvement from year to year. They got better for exactly 1/3 of a season and a cup run. They then were basically exactly the same mediocre team they were the next year, and then again the year after that until they got Gaborik (who I assume you're talking about).

Outside of two short stretches, they were never a consistent top level team. Every team can and will play well for stretches, the Flyers won ten in a row this year. It's just that the Kings had two impeccably timed runs of outstanding play.

Havent they consistently had one of the best CF% over that span? They've definitely dropped off this year and last, but I don't think it's right to say they were never a consistent top level team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

ThinkTank posted:

The league can dangle Olympic participation over the players as much as they want, but they've thrown that trump card away.

Spring Break My Heart posted:

I'm glad Russia will win.

:tinfoil:

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Schremp Howard posted:

So when does Bettman announce the next World Cup of Hockey

it will now replace the preseason annually. and all the games will be played in stadiums outdoors. and it will all be 3v3. and every game will be on a wednesday. and now every country will have its own young gunz roster. :regd08:

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

T-Bone posted:

Bettman started in the NBA :science:

(there's a long running conspiracy theory that the NBA sent him over to ruin the NHL)

that is a pretty sick theory

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Mind_Taker posted:

:agreed:

So who is Pittsburgh's #1 defenseman now? Schultz? Dumoulin?

insofar as the best defense is a good offense, it's crosby

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Pens chances just got way worse in the playoffs. So long as Malkin comes back healthy, I don't feel like we're totally screwed. Then if Hagelin comes back (might be a long-shot) I'd feel even better. And if either Daley or Maatta come back, then at least we'd have a little more depth in our blue line and could give a little more breathing room for our ad hoc top pairing guys.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Koopa Kid posted:

https://twitter.com/DownGoesBrown/status/850742801625120770

My vote is early, to maximize the amount of time the crowd just sits there stunned

I know it's not the GDT but... :getin:

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

I'm guessing Sutter to Dallas

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

my impression was that the talent on the kings roster has been declining every year. maybe sutter's system isn't the most exciting, but it seems pretty effective. he just doesn't have the caliber roster to execute the system as he had a couple years ago.

there's something to be said for needing to adapt your system to the roster you have, but imo lombardi's moves and long-rear end contract signings have seemed like the bigger problem for the kings than sutter's system. if i was an owner looking to shake up my front office, i'd be calling sutter way before i'd call lombardi

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

HappyHippo posted:

The mighty and majestic wild, howling at the moon

even though i knew this was coming, it still made me chuckle

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

drat, that's pretty rough for Disco Dan.

He sure got lucky with his timing for coaching the Pens. I think they probably would have won the Cup with just about anyone but Therrien behind the bench, and in the following years it became pretty quickly obvious that he had no real system other "pray that stretch passes will generate unlimited breakaways and goals", which works well enough during the regular season when you have Crosby, Malkin and Letang, but does not work very well at all in the playoffs.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Ginette Reno posted:

Btw for all the talk of Torts turning over a new leaf he skipped the handshake line last night lol.

Hah what a prick

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Captain Internet posted:

CBJ deserved better than they got.

what the gently caress

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

i will forever love gillis for this

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

"Those Leafs boys oughta finish their hits more. Need more bodies like Martin, tough to play against, woulda made the Caps think twice about trying to get all fancy in the zone. Wonder if I can get Jarmo to sign him"

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Thufir posted:

I still think the NHL wimps out on recapture penalties, especially the Weber one. They backed down on the NJ Kovalchuck punishment that wasn't even as bad.

agreed, especially if it comes down to later retirements with higher per year penalties

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

ThinkTank posted:

Yeah, plus the Habs are a business and understanding and effectively communicating with your key demographics is integral to the success of any commercial enterprise. There's a reason that Apple's keystone address is delivered in English each year and not Tagalog.

this is a pretty ridiculous comparison imo

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

wait why is this a tweet?

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

is this the real life
is this just fantasy
caught in a landslide
no escape from reality
open your eyes, look up to the skies, and seeeeeeeeeee:

Carl Soderberg played in 80 games this season, tallying 14 points

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Mind_Taker posted:

Goalies add more wins/losses than any skater so the Hart winner would literally be the Vezina winner every year.

That doesn't sound very believable at first blush but maybe there are numbers to support it?

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Yaya posted:

N: Zaitsev gets 7 years/4.5m per.
V: Somewhere, Don Cherry is furious.

there aren't too many D who have gotten 7-year contracts recently, this seems kind of crazy

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

That's a stupid contract, lol at people defending it

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I dunno, to be honest.

Is this assuming that Luongo would have agreed to play in a different league? That seems like it's probably the biggest/only hitch in that situation...

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

T-Bone posted:

thread: would you want Kovalchuk on your team for let's say 6m a year at 3 years and what would you trade for him

I haven't watched any of his play in the KHL. Has he gotten slow?

I wouldn't mind seeing a lil Malkin & Kovy Russian special hot soss

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

ThinkTank posted:

Maybe 3? He was second in scoring in Russia last year and has a track record of being an effective NHL scorer. Radulov came back on a 1 year $5.75M deal and McKenzie said his minimum ask is now 4 or 5 years "well north of $6M" as a UFA. With the cap going up, I don't see how $7M+ for Kovie is out of the question.

like i said i haven't watched kovy since his departure, but i'd have to think his age could be a barrier to 3+ year term. i'd be pretty nervous about giving a guy a $6M+ contract that takes him to age 37+ after he's been out of the NHL for 4 years

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

kalensc posted:

And we get to witness plenty of terrible hot takes, such as https://twitter.com/SlavaMalamud?s=09

What a clown

i don't know i thought this was pretty great

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

not gdt lol

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

if holtby hadn't imploded everyone would be talking about how it wasn't until trotz came along that ovie & co. could finally get past the pens and advance to the ECF

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

So I don't get how Vegas is supposed to be anything but a heap of poo poo next year. I don't know all the ins and outs of the expansion draft rules, but it seems like all they're going to get is a lovely 3rd/4th liners from every team, maybe a decent goalie, and maybe someone good from their high draft pick. Maybe an aging veteran that a team doesn't want to protect because of their cap hit or whatever.

Is there any other outcome for this team next year than being bottom of their division?

MAF gonna take them to the SCF where they will be crushed by Murray & The Gang on their way to a 3peat

But seriously, no they're going to be pretty much awful. Maybe they get lucky and the Yotes or Nucks totally crater, and they don't finish at the bottom of the division, but they're not going to be good

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

man, talk about having a loser's attitude. that kind of thinking is toxic to a competitive mindset/culture

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

I've always been drawn to perfect hockey robots, but this just rockets Toewsie to a new level

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

bizarre deformity posted:

I laughed so hard at this I teared up a little. Bryz is a comedy genius whether he knows it or not

I think he knows it. Seems like a genuinely fun dude

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Disallowing goals for obvious offsides should be the same as when they allow goals that originally went uncalled, like Gaudreau's last game. Then just get rid of the challenge altogether, since the outcome a goalie interference challenge seems to be even more random than who wins a shootout.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

CBJSprague24 posted:

God damnit why do people keep bailing the Pens out? Kessel, Daley, Sullivan in, Johnston, Scuderi, likely MAF, maybe Tocchet out.

e- MAF, not Hainsey.

Must be hard to walk with that big of a chip

on your shoulder

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Jamwad Hilder posted:

they should be able to get six guys who could normally play second pairing if they want and that's pretty good.

yeah, teams always try to copycat the most recent cup winner :v:

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

And it's funny that you guys are talking about Nurse who is 21-22 because I feel like Pens fans forget that Maatta is also 22 and he had loving cancer.

Cancer or not, he's still been on a downward trajectory since his rookie year, which is concerning. It's not that he's coming along slower than expected, it's that he's actually getting worse

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Suspicious posted:

Drouin won't live up to expectations. He won't be the francophone hero that saves the team and he'll get run out of town. Sergachev will be a top pairing defenseman.

Wake me up when Bergevin is fired.

lol

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Wonderllama posted:

Drouin is really really good. But you're right to be semi-concerned since he's 22 and has never been able to completely get it all together and/or be consistent.

i never paid super close attention to his controversy, but setting that aside he's scored at a ~50 point per season clip over his short career, which is pretty drat good in today's NHL. there really doesn't seem to be a huge list of better LWs

i also don't know much about sergachev as a prospect, but seems like drouin is more of a known entity with a higher ceiling in terms of value (already a top-line player vs. maybe one day could be a top pairing D?). fair enough that there were extenuating circumstances for TBL, but still doesn't seem like they got all the value they could have based on my extremely shallow analysis

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

wanna pet dat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Ginette Reno posted:

I doubt it since they'd have to protect him.

You're not wrong, but I think the bigger issue is that after the playoffs the world's collective impression of Maatta is "that absurdly slow young guy that I thought was maybe supposed to be good but actually just coughs up odd man rushes every time he's on the ice because he's so slow"

• Locked thread