Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Chat Thread
This poll is closed.
anime chat thread 13 8.02%
anime chat thread 2.22 - A SODOM BORN OF THE HUNDRED YEARS WAR 11 6.79%
SHIN ANIME CHAT THREAD 3: THE LAST DAY OF THE EARTH 7 4.32%
ANIME CHAT THREAD 4: NEW AGE OF HEROES 1 0.62%
ANIME CHAT THREAD V: BEEF TENDENCY END 7 4.32%
ANIME CHAT THREAD VI: animemonogatari 16 9.88%
anime chat thread vii: 600 pages in like a week 3 1.85%
anime chat thread viii: a bowl of visible aids 7 4.32%
Anime Chat Thread IX: the desert of battle 1 0.62%
anime chat thread x: gifs of takane shijou eating 14 8.64%
anime chat thread xi: the beast that cried 'gas' at the heart of the world 16 9.88%
anime chat thread xii: the one where fire emblem comes out 8 4.94%
anime chat thread the 13th: no art dumps 5 3.09%
anime chat thread 14: this one probably won't get to 2000+ pages 3 1.85%
Chat Thead 15: Post your favorite robot and/or touhou itt 22 13.58%
Anime Chat Thread The Sixteenth: Frequently Anime Questions 3 1.85%
Anime Chat Thread Dimension XV-II: No More Eroes 2: Dawn of the New World 8 4.94%
Anime Chat Thread Part 18: (M)AIDS 17 10.49%
Total: 162 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

littleorv posted:

I'm back and ready to poo poo post

tell me why you wanted me to drop future diary, legit curious

like I'm at ep 7 and so far it's not *perfect* (I'm getting straight up loving whiplash from the constant tone switching) but it's holding my attention pretty well, especially given that Yuno is indescribably loving awesome (seriously holy gently caress she owns)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
future diary just keeps getting progressively more and more bugfuck out of its mind :psyduck:

like this show is an exercise in just how far a story can go completely off the loving rails while still remaining interesting. i'm genuinely curious how long they can keep escalating the utter madness for before it gets tiring

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
like seriously what the holy gently caress is with those dogs with the metal jaws and speakers in them? is that guy just so rich he inexplicably has an army of trained cyborg dogs?

e: the fact that Yuno is genuinely not the craziest part of this show is astounding to me

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Apr 2, 2017

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
So I just finished Future Diary

I'm loving crying I hate everything God drat

WHY THE gently caress CAN'T YUKKI AND YUNO JUST BE A HAPPY hosed UP ADORABLE COUPLE :qq:

e: wait, there's an OVA, should I watch it or?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
so I just watched the Mirai Nikki Redial OVA

given the knowledge that this is how the manga ended (more or less), I, uh, I really don't get why people think it had a bad ending?

like, honestly, both Yuki and Yuno are just incredibly loving broken people. they're not monsters. more than anything, by the end, I just wanted there to be some loving way, I didn't even care how, that they'd come out of it together and happy and alive. so the entire ending of the series, not knowing about Redial, was basically one gigantic punch in the dick to me as a result of this. however, Redial gives me literally loving exactly what I wanted. is the method a bit rear end-pull-ish? yeah, sure. do I give a gently caress? no. Yuki and Yuno finally got their loving HAPPY END and it was the most adorable god drat thing ever and I am so happy that the series doesn't go out on Yuki pining for Yuno in a featureless void, staring at the diary entry of her dying for 10,000 years.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Endorph posted:

iunno how you think yuno and yuki are adorable and happy, but im glad you enjoyed the show

Have you seen Redial

If so, how was that not the most :kimchi: goddamn thing

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

The Colonel posted:

tales of xillia, xillia 2, berseria, and fate/stay night are all really good, btw

how far are you in F/sn

if you're still in Fate or early UBW and you have that opinion, you are in for a loving treat when it really picks up

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
there is no waifu but Yuno and no hasubando but Guts

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
goddamn why the gently caress is Mirai Nikki sticking with me like this, usually finishing a series shuffles it to the bottom of my brain-space for a little while

I'm not sure if it's because MN is actually extremely good, because even though it's not that good it just manages to hit all of my buttons, or because I'm going through the series again with my gf :v: (we actually started watching it together but I ended up getting in binge mode and watching like half the series in one night without her)

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

an actual dog posted:

My gut tells me that this is a series of fakeposts that's going to end with your girlfriend killing someone.

it's not fakeposts I just really liked that show. this isn't the first time a show's gotten... stuck in my head, I guess would be the way to put it? but it hasn't happened in a while

my gf is pretty well-adjusted, don't worry

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Apr 6, 2017

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
(though christ I am going to lose my poo poo if that happens)

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Grouchio posted:

Kobayashi's still going to predecease Tohru and Kanna and that makes me very sad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6c75cOL0G8I

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

littleorv posted:

drat, you're a bad friend

i'm late but no he's not

Eva is a dark show, but its overall message is "you can do it, you can get through this poo poo, you just have to not be afraid of facing your problems"

it's not like he showed the dude fuckin' Aku no Hana or something

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
anyone see that BLAME! movie on Netflix yet?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voe1Oipf39U

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
jesus loving christ the Netflix Death Note movie is making everyone on my facebook feed angry as gently caress

I seriously hope I'm not the only weeb who saw it and went "...ok yeah, this is different but it also loving owns"

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
it's the people who go "i don't care that it was different, it was a complete poo poo movie anyways!" who really stun me, though

like, did I watch the same loving movie as them? the Death Note I watched is pretty much hands-down the most gorgeously-shot movie Netflix has put out since Beasts Of No Nation, has not one but three completely loving killer near-Oscar-level performances in it (obviously Dafoe kills it as Ryuk but I thought Nat Wolff was shockingly good as Light and Lakeith Stanfield is basically perfect as L), loving amazing effects (Ryuk looked goddamn incredible and the gore was ridonkulous), an awesome musical score... literally the only beef I have with it is that the plot is a little messy, and honestly, everything else outweighed that about as hard as it possibly could.

Mister Facetious posted:

Ohhh, you're the rear end in a top hat that keeps getting Resident Evil movies made.

the second and third RE movies are the only genuinely bad ones. the first is a relatively bog-standard but fun B-movie and gave us that laser hallway bit, and then Afterlife through the last one all completely loving own

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

The Colonel posted:

the death note movie is well-made but also it's just kind of dumb and i didn't care to finish it

light being a giant loser is kind of funny but that's basically his entire character and it gets kind of boring after a while. i haven't seen any other death note stuff but hearing people reading it as a giant own on the source material just makes it sound kind of lame because on its own it doesn't really do anything to make it interesting

it's not really a "giant own on the source material," honestly it's pretty respectful

it's just... different

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
like honestly it seems like the sticking point is based primarily on why you're watching the movie

I give zero fucks about the fact that it's adapting Death Note because, while I like the DN anime and manga, they're not like my absolute favorites or anything and it's been a long rear end time anyhow (jesus I think I watched DN in high school actually)

however, finding out that it was an Adam Wingard joint got me kind of hype because that dude's movies are extremely my poo poo, The Guest owned. then I found out that the second unit director was Jason Eisener, of Hobo with a Shotgun fame, and that Wingard basically just told him "go hog wild," and got insanely goddamn hype because Hobo with a Shotgun is one of my favorite movies. and it is absolutely the result of those two guys directing it and Wingard telling Eisener to go hog the gently caress wild on everything he shot, so there was basically no possible way I was gonna hate it, even if it was literally making GBS threads on every individual page of the manga. like it could have been Dragonball Evolution levels of "bad adaptation" and, as long as that was still intact, I'd still have probably dug the gently caress out of it. Willem Dafoe absolutely goddamn killing it as Ryuk helped, and honestly I thought the actors for Light and Mia did extremely well with their roles too, even if those roles were pretty different than in the original (oddly enough, they kinda reminded me of the protagonists of Future Diary more than the original Light and Misa).

meanwhile, if you're watching it because you're a DN fan... ho-lee poo poo

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

dogsicle posted:

most of what i'm hearing about the movie is that it is bad, but some people enjoy the badness

nah, it's good. it's a really weird adaptation and the script is a little dumb in parts, but literally every other aspect of the movie is :discourse:.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
so i fell down a japanese wikipedia hole via google translate and found out that the guy who directed MD Geist is a film critic and has released two books

I sincerely wish I knew japanese because holy poo poo

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Sakurazuka posted:

Koichi Ohata or the guy who's name they put on the first episode because they thought Ohata was too young?

Ohata. apparently Koichi loving Ohata is a film critic whose thoughts are considered noteworthy and interesting enough that two books of his film crit have been published.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

don't get me wrong, I really wish I knew Japanese so I could read this poo poo, because I am entirely willing to believe that the guy who made Genocyber is on some SMG-level poo poo

it's just... really, really bonkers to me that that exists

• Locked thread