Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

SpartanIV posted:

So I think it's a pretty obvious theory that magilla gorilla climbed the wall, converted Conni's town (maybe others?) into titans and then used his small titan army to clear the way and capture some maneuver gear. Now he's climbed it back out, and left the titans to do whatever. Anyone disagree with that?

Given that we never seen the hole in Maria, that seems pretty likely.

quote:

The big question is why does magilla gorilla want a sample of the maneuver gear.
The gear is the key to killing titans, so he wants to know how it works and influences the humans' tactics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Brutakas posted:

Recent episode:
If you can read the rune(?) language, you're a titan?

Also, the titan that Ymir turned into looked like the one from Reiner's flashback.

I assumed that language predates the walls/is from outside the walls, so it's an indication that Ymir knows more than the others in one way or another.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

We still don't know why some titans can move at night, do we?

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

RealFoxy posted:

Moonlight, maybe?

But then there was Ymir in the blizzard. Maybe their batteries are usually running low by the time the sun goes down?

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

I keep on having late-night thoughts about Attack on Titan, but I can never remember them the next day.

However, here's something that bothers me. Ymir reads the can of herring and the audience and Reiner cannot. What's that exchange of looks? He doesn't know she's a titan, so it's not an "I'm onto you"/"I'm gong to kill you if you tell anyone" exchange. In fact, she seems rather blase about the can when she finds it and tosses it over, so does she not know that other people can't read it? Does she not care if people consider her suspicious? Is she testing Reiner and her glare is the "I find you suspicious" one in the exchange?

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

I think Reiner was suspicious because she could read a foreign language, and as far as we can tell there's only one language within the walls. Ymir I guess didn't realize it wasn't the common language when she read it. Presumably, for Ymir, her ancesty/people was meant to be a secret, but she unintentionally revealed it. I'm speculating that she might have come from a group of people who are entirely aware of humans' ability to transform into titans and are capable of controlling it to some extent, which explains why they wouldn't want to reveal that.

They were about to argue over it, but HOLY gently caress THERE'S TITANS.

Yeah, he was surprised because she unintentionally revealed that she's from outside the walls (the language has to be from outside, with everything unknown being forbidden), but why did she glare at him? Was he not supposed to say that?

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Here's my speculation as of the end of season 1 (watched less than 2 years ago, I was late to the party). So far everything holds up.

All titans are created from people. Not sure whether it was originally a "science gone wrong" thing, a weapons program, a really strange cult (thanks for the idea, NERV), or something else, but all titan forms are induced in some way starting with a regular person. The titans that don't display intelligence are people who didn't make the transformation properly or got stuck in that form. Maybe they remained in the form for too long and lost their ability to think, maybe the change accidentally lobotomized them. I'm not sure what happened to create the Abnormals, but maybe there was an additional step to the transformation to give them weird abilities.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I think there's at least one more titan in their squad. I could see Reiner but they are giving so many subtle nudges that it's him I think it'll be someone else. Maybe the researcher?
Someone from the non-spoiler anime-only reddit thread noticed this (ETA to add spoiler tag).

I don't think that's just a nudge. We all missed it because of the scene it's buried in.

ETA: This means that Reiner has to be one too, right? They have to be in it together.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Blackhair is Berthold right? I could see him being one and maybe Reiner knows since they're from the same village? I hope we find out.
Given that it seems the colossal titan is showing up next week, it's looking likely.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

I was thinking that Eren seemed really calm about the whole thing, but if everyone in the group was warned, why was Mikasa the only one to hang back enough? Reiner was pretty obviously losing it.

The CG colossal titan is a bit distracting, what a shame.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

bondster posted:

My favorite part of the reveal is they kept in the fact that it comes out pretty casually. Like in the manga the big reveal was in some small background speech bubbles.

I was laughing so hard at the delivery. No big deal, everyone else not paying attention...

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

The beast titan looks like Eren's dad due to the way his eyes are drawn, almost like Eren's dad's glasses (at least to me). Eren's dad clearly knew more than he was letting on, but I really doubt it would pull the poo poo the beast titan has.

ETA: New question. If they're both titan shifters, why did they let their friend get eaten?

Maera Sior fucked around with this message at 20:17 on May 6, 2017

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Demicol posted:

I was waiting for how to anime was going to do the big reveal, it was everything I was hoping for. I was watching it with a friend and he actually missed it.

Here's the scene in the manga if anyone is interested.
http://i.imgur.com/UZX2MlS.jpg
I actually think the anime version is funnier. The continued pan across as the Scouts walking on the top of the wall, like the camera hasn't figured out that there's something more important it should be covering.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Sjs00 posted:

Good catch. I missed it in the blood orgy of depravation that was the rest of those moving images.

So if Reiner can't read it, it's not a language that's used by titans, unless they have multiple languages, which seems a bit weird given that we know that titans and humans speak the language. Alternately, he could he be lying by omission (anyone have an accurate translation of whether he can read it or whether it's merely implied?). He seems genuinely shocked, but that could be a) the realization that Ymir's from outside the walls, b) Ymir must therefore be a titan if she made it in, c) she knows another language and thus must be from a rival faction of titans (since we're looking at several now), or d) he had no idea anyone knew another language and had no idea there was another faction of titans at all.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

So if the city Ymir is from also has some sort of cult related to the royal bloodline, how come their priests wear the same outfit as the wall priests? Did they both split off from the same religion? Is one a corruption of the other? Do they have anything to do with the religious cannibalism as shown in the end credits?

If the titans gain their shifting powers from eating some unknown subgroup of people (or else every titan could shift), is the religious cannibalism some sort of reference to that? I had first assumed it was a ritual where a sacrifice stood in for a long-dead religious leader and the cannibalism had some sort of "eat of his flesh" meaning, if not regular human sacrifice as means of religious/social compliance, but now I'm not sure. Does the sacrifice stands in for the first titan (the giant lady who's shown twice, once defaced?) and cannibalism is presumed to give the eaters titan powers? A way of being spiritually closer to the first titan?

Why do I think that none of this will be answered this season?

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Here is a storytelling device that your brain has picked up on by now, but you might not have fully grasped it yet. Becomes something to talk about with the reveal of Reiner and Berthold. Eren, Mikasa, Armin are each an independent aspect of humanity and can't live without one another. Each represent the Soul, Body, Mind. Eren is the spirit. The other two can survive without him but won't have goals or really be alive. Mikasa as the body that protects the spirit and mind. Armin as the very obvious mind who solves problems and philosophizes. The infiltrator trio of Reiner, Berthold, Annie....embody the very same aspects just in a different way. If you look close enough, this motif goes throughout the entire story. The three walls. The three military branches....

A triad at the center is nothing new and a media standard. Id/ ego/superego, Shinji/Rei/Asuka, Kirk/Spock/McCoy, etc.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

I'm still waiting for Armin or Hange to realize that all titans are/were people. Please tell me it's going to be a ~big reveal~ before they end the season, they can't think the audience hasn't figured it out by now.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Like they already kind of did, when they showed ymir getting pushed off the wall

You're right, and I made the extrapolation back in season 1, but no one inside the walls seems to have made the connection. Considering that we saw Connie's mom, I'm still expecting something bigger to come out.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

I just realized that one reason why Reiner couldn't read the can but Ymir could is if it was printed in an older version of the language, or if she was from a different city that wrote in another version of the language.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Sjs00 posted:

isn't that every anime ever
What ruins this show for me is when they have longwinded conversations while doing 3d maneuver for minutes at a time without re-grappling. Just lazy animation and of course very nitpick.
Show good.
I just laugh at that now. I think they made it look better than the first time, but it's still ridiculous.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Finally got around to seeing it this morning. My impressions, in order:
- Eren, finish healing your hands. Your hands. They need to heal first before you can transform.
- Oh look! Hannes has arrived just in time to die! He's not a complete idiot by grounding it, but we all know how this ends.
- We're certainly getting a lot of injuries and deaths in this episode.
- Mikasa is totally going in for a kiss, isn't she? Eren didn't get it at all.
- WTF is going on? Is this the "coordinate" power? A coordinate is a location, not a set of directions, so this seems like a poor choice of words.
- Why isn't Bertholdt transforming?
- Ymir, don't be a tragic lesbian. You don't owe them anything. I get that you see it as redemption of a sort, but you have to know you're returning to your death. Cult figureheads, regardless of whether they've "stolen" shifting power, can't be allowed to live.
- Levi is pissed that he wasn't with Erwin.
- Hey, Hange and Conny have arrived to announce what I figured out in season 1! At least everyone looks appropriately shocked. Except Erwin, wtf dude, you're creeping Levi out.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Rangpur posted:

Middle episodes dragged things out, but that still managed to be one of the best 1-cour series of the year to date. Were we supposed to recognize the dude who was chilling on (and I assumed was previously 'piloting') Monkey Troubles? Someone upthread suggested Eren's dad but that doesn't make sense--they had 3D maneuvering gear years before his dad vanished, and the Beast Titan seemed genuinely surprised by it.
The guy can't be his dad, but there is something similar (the glasses plus skinny build?), and the creator loves using physical similarities as signals of what's going on, so family is a decent guess. If Eren's father stole the serum to turn Eren into a titan/shifter/the coordinate before fleeing Ymir's city, then a family member (brother?) might want to track him down to get revenge or return whatever he stole so the family isn't punished. Or maybe the family is reasonably high up and has a scientific/strategic role (and being a shifter is required for their work), so a family member being involved is merely a coincidence. Or If we're going with the "Eren's father turned Eren, then Eren ate him" theory, that implies that his father knew how everything worked, pointing to a family that's entrenched in the system somehow, with people of that status being shifters as a status symbol or reward (the flip side of punishment by becoming a mindless titan).
Now I want to know if Eren's father was a conscientious objector. Knew what was going on, hated it, and ran off with the serum plus whatever makes the coordinate.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

TheLawinator posted:

I don't want to try looking up anything but my guess is that it's Armin's dad.

I'm trying to recall what we know about him and all I can remember is... Maps, maybe?

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Conspiratiorist posted:

Doubleposting because it never ceases to amuse me that Levi, the neat-freak that can't be caught dead without that posh white ascot, is a vicious and foul-mouthed runt from the slums.

You can't tell if he's trying to make up for something or if he just thinks it looks good.

Emergency cleaning cloth?

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Annointed posted:

You don't even need to think too hard. Literally all their problems would go away if a Coordinator just ordered all the Titans everywhere to tear each other to pieces. Come to think of it, since a person with the Coordinate has the power to control titans, and chances are there would be a person more adept in controlling titans than Eren, and the walls are made of titans, does that mean a person, or persons long ago was powerful enough to control so many titans to build the walls? And for that matter what kind of threat would cause a person who had that much power to just huddle up like that?

It didn't work on Reiner, Bert, and Ymir, so maybe the coordinate who built the walls was under attack from shifters.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Rangpur posted:

Regarding the second point, I don't think there is any great secret to transforming from Titan to human--I suspect it just takes a lot of effort and focus. The transformation is also likely to be very traumatic, based on Ymir's flashback, and if you don't know changing back is possible in the first place it's entirely possible you might just give up and let the elements cover you the way she did. Eating that guy isn't what changed her back, but fulfilling that directive (which all Titans possess in some form it seems, because they certainly don't need to eat) somehow aided her in regaining her focus/sanity long enough to revert.

Pretty sure it's not eating a person, but eating a shifter. When Ymir is resting on the top of the wall, she says "If you hadn't come to bust up this wall I wouldn't never woken up from that nightmare. All I'm doing is returning what I borrowed back then." She ate a shifter (Marcel) and borrowed one person's worth of shifting away from the city/civilization, so she needs to return it by going back and (presumably) letting herself be eaten by whomever the state wants to be the next soldier to go in. If eating shifters wasn't necessary, then there's no logical reason for her to feel guilty enough to return to her death.
I just realized this meant that Reiner, Bertolt, Annie, and Marcel all ate people when they were young. :stonk:

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

BrainDance posted:

Reiner or Bertold ask Ymir at one point if she remembers the person she ate or something. And since they were speaking as if they knew she had, and as if it was definitely a single person, that's why I thought just eating one person was the trigger. But having to eat a shifter makes more sense. But then, who was the first shifter and how?

Yeah, they keep on not answering that and I can't figure it out either. Maybe there was originally a different type of serum and the method was lost?
ETA: Thinking about it, the first shot of the ED with the people eating the corpse could be a reference to how you could create more than one shifter at a time. If one shifter is killed and divided between multiple titans, could that result in multiple shifters?

Maera Sior fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jun 19, 2017

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

BrainDance posted:

But if that's the case that doesn't explain what the hell Annie, Bertoldt and Reiner are trying to do or fighting for. But nothing loving explains what the hell they're on about, like I can't begin to create a reason they're trying to gently caress up everyone and return to their "hometown" or whatever the gently caress they're on about.
There's another civilization outside the walls, we saw it in Ymir's flashback All of the shifters (minus Eren) are from there, and most of the titans are from there too. There's some conflict between the groups that's very old, going on for long enough that most people within the walls have forgotten anything outside exists. It could have started from anything that's been a cause of wars: ethno-religious conflicts, territorial disputes, resources required for societal survival, personal conflicts within the ruling families. Whatever civilization that's outside the walls remembers that there's another group that has something they want, and they're pissed.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

DaveKap posted:

Levi's gang flying to a chorus
I love that they put them on the opening like they're going to be recurring characters, then they get slaughtered. Seeing them in the opening is a reminder of the cost for having all the awesome gear.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Squidster posted:

I'll strongly second this recommendation. One of the things I liked about Attack on Titan was how few anime tropes it used, and how cinematic it felt. Rage of Bahamut is straight up animated Pirates of the Caribbean with more bounty-hunting soundrels. The pitch is that a shameless rogue accidentally partners with a naive demon, and is stuck playing tour guide to an adorable killing machine that will ruin his poo poo if he gets out of line. It has Joan of Arc, swashbuckling zombie pirates, giant crabs, giant robots, world-ending dragons, and all of it stunningly well animated.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYdXomC4K-Q

It also has an excellent second season/sequel that's airing right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Sylphid posted:

Reiner just cut a message into her hand, right? Even after watching the reveal episode in S2, that's what I always assumed it was.

That answer bugs me, because...How? How do you carve a message like that with giant swords? Even if he had a knife, his other arm was trapped.

• Locked thread