Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Sorry guys, but you all need to read my thesis on how superheroes are fascists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

That is a really confusing statement.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

My only real problem with YA so far is the delays on Doom Patrol. The books themselves are somenof my fav ongoings

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Kamala dies

Any minority character of some kind dies.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

That kind of happened in 52. I think as part of the Black Adam plot?

Well, not the doing good part.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Yeah, if I remember right they created some new suoervillains named after the Horsemen of the Apocalypse and had them ruin Bkack Adam's life for some reason.

I always felt that was the weakest plot of 52, but at least it had Dr. Sivana carve up a turkey with a chainsaw while laughing maniacally.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Guy Goodbody posted:

Marvel needs to take a mulligan on a lot of the stuff they've done recently. The next event should establish that Nightmare has been giving everyone nightmares for the past few years, so a lot of the Marvel characters have been kinda sleep deprived. Of course Beast wouldn't normally risk destroying time to make Cyclops feel bad or strand Noh Varr on a planet to die, he had been awake for days before he did that stuff. Iceman is bi, not gay, Iceman being full gay would be dumb, he was just super out of it when he said that stuff. Thor's Hammer isn't sentient, everybody had been up for 36 hours and heard a car radio and thought it was coming from the hammer.

What

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I know, I don't understand how being gay and not bi is somehow dumb?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Like, I get it, but one of my best friends is a gay man who has dated and had sex with women before so it always weirds me out when people equate dating girls in the past to meaning that person is always going to be into women.

The outing scene was really lovely though

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Endless Mike posted:

I only acknowledge X-Men comics where they are all hedgehogs.

Issue #?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Just wait until I'm writing comics and I'll make all of my OTPs real.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

cubicle gangster posted:

Ok, cool. I'll have to have some time to do a little more research & digging before posting a thread.

Graphic novel, yeah. Sometimes depressing stories about real people & life. Drawn & quarterly is a publisher that from my limited experience so far can do no wrong. https://www.drawnandquarterly.com
I've enjoyed anything Adrian tomine & Beverly by Nick drnaso

Fantagraphics comics also publish stuff I enjoy. They're the only 2 publishers I know of that do this kind of stuff, hence hoping for a thread to see if there's more out there I've not discovered.

I basically know nothing about comics outside of stuff published by the big two, licensed comics, and indies from Image, Boom, and the like, so I'd welcome anything new aside from that.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

To be honest, the indie thread is so incredibly broad compared to Marvel, DC, and Valiant that I feel like talking about anything other than the most popular indie books is just shouting into the void.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

You guys will see the light when this comic pays for my retirement.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I feel like could top basically any bad Batman comic with a random page from Dark Knight Strikes Again

Roth fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Apr 21, 2017

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

"Let's say this hypothetical reader has budgeted out 30 dollars a month to spend on floppy comics. More than a lot of people can afford to dole out each month on these things"

:suicide:

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

You are not a person I will ever understand

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'll have you know that the episode "Critters" from New Batman Adventures is actually the best episode in the entire DCAU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

It's well and fine to like DKSA, but I really just don't.

I hate the coloring, it's full of really dumb stuff like Superman loving Wonder Woman so hard it causes tidal waves, and there was some really gross homophobia I wasn't a fan of.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Guy Goodbody posted:

Yeah, and they should go back to that.

No thanks

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I feel like the main takeaway from that essay, and their previous one, is that companies should probably be more transparent about pre-ordering books.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

This was $5 well spent

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

X-O posted:

What the hell even is that thing?

Star Wars Tales is an anthology series where a bunch of writers would write short stories related to Star Wars. Some were canon, some weren't, and the ones that weren't tended to be really off the wall ones.

This is from George R. Binks, a story about Jar Jar's father, who is trapped on an island with his son and wife after their fishing boat gets shipwrecked, and has to deal with his son being Jar Jar.

Other bizarre stories include: That story about the force sensitive droid that blows itself up so R2 can go with Luke (written by Peter David of all people), parodies of The Breakfast Club, Judge Judy, Pulp Fiction, and Fight Club. A Garth Ennis story about one of the stormtroopers that went on the Tantive IV at the beginning of ANH, and a story where Han and Chewie crash land on Earth, Chewie becomes the inspiration for Bigfoot, and Indiana Jones discovers Han's skeleton.

It's all on Marvel Unlimited, and well worth a read.

Edit - Here's one of the shortest stories they did.

Roth fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Apr 23, 2017

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

God I want to read that Ennis one

It's in issue 10. The story is called 'Trooper'

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Ghostlight posted:

Wait, is that where that thing about the droid intentionally popping its top so C3PO and R2D2 don't get separated originally comes from? I always thought it was some weird fan theory.

It goes further than that. It's called Skippy, the Jedi Droid. It is a force sensitive droid that can levitate rocks, and Obi-Wan frequently felt its presence but never realized they were a droid.

It has a vision when it was bought by Owen about how terrible things would be if R2 doesn't get bought by Luke, and blows itself up to save the galaxy in a way.

I have no idea how Peter David thought to write this.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Yeah, I'd switch to digital for new comics, but they're all the same price as physical comics, and I get a 20% discount at the comic shop I go to.

It's really not a choice for me.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Oh man, I didn't know Alan Moore wrote Star Wars stories. Is that from the old Marvel Star Wars stuff?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

What is this guy's comic even about? I admittedly kind of like the art style, but I really can't get into reading webcomics at all.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Those other pictures weren't taken right after he drank the blood of the innocent.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I like how aware of the fact the guy who wrote that is of how lovely everything except Marvels is.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Doctor Spaceman posted:

1994 had Doom 2, System Shock, Warcraft, SimCity 2000 and TIE Fighter.

I don't think I'd even heard of Final Fantasy.

This is the good stuff

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Zachack posted:

In other possibly bad things news I managed to order Zero Hour: Crisis in Time by mistake (I meant to order the EC Library Zero Hour) and didn't realize it until I opened my IST box. Aside from apparently getting too old to notice these kinds of mistakes, what do I need to know before I read this? Is it good? Bad? Steeped in continuity? Will I be totally lost/bored/angry?

No, yes, yes, and yes

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Lurdiak posted:

Well I don't know about E&C, but I'm pretty sure Rhyno was 37 in 94. I was still a kid, and everyone else wasn't born.

I was a one year old lol

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

purple death ray posted:

Out of all the Rebirth stuff for DC to get a loving Eisner nom for, Batgirl and Deathstroke? Really?

Hope King wins for the Batman story and Vision though.

I'll go up to bat for Deathstroke.

It is honestly a fun series about a horrible person that doesn't pretend that Slade is anything but a lovely person. I don't know if it's worthy of an Eisner nomination, but it's definitely one of the better Rebirth titles they could have picked.

I do think that Superman and Detective Comics are unambiguously better though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

http://morrisoncon.com/

• Locked thread