Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

People that stand in the middle of foot traffic while talking on their phones. Don't block people and don't make people walk around you. You can take a few steps to the left or right or lean against a wall or something just get your self out of the drat way if you want to be still and talk.

There is an obvious exception for somebody asking for directions or being told to look for something.

This happened to me twice at the gym this morning. She went inside the door and stopped with it right behind her, staring at her phone. Luckily the door was glass so I used the adjacent one, and she got out of the way. Leaving the locker room not ten minutes after, I almost ran into her again because she was staring at her phone, right in the middle of the doorway.

Look, facebook is clearly more important than your workout, that's fine--but please stop standing in doorways that people are trying to walk through.

food court bailiff posted:

People who just fuckin' stop their car wherever they want. "Oh, well I'm turning right into a parking lot and the driveway is clear, this is a forty mile an hour road and there's traffic behind me, better come to a complete stop before attempting this turn!"

"Slight curve on the freeway? BRAKES! Someone's passing me on the right at a reasonable speed? Better hit the brakes! A cloud off in the distance?! That can only mean a torrential downpour is imminent and I must hit the brakes!!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

Men are pieces of poo poo and half the time it's laziness and the other half is intentional. I used to work construction and people would straight up sabatoge the port o potties by making GBS threads on the seat and smearing it around or burning holes in the bottom of the urinal so you piss on your feet.

My favorite bathroom rear end in a top hat is the guy that covers the seat in toilet paper because they are too germaphobic to sit on the seat, but then leaves the sat on toilet paper for the next guy to clean up.

I'm not sure that's a "men" thing but more of a "someone else will clean it up" thing. Case in point, the used tampon I once found in the gym showers. Like...you HAD to pull it out in the shower? The bathroom is RIGHT THERE.

The giant clots of hair are bad enough (like seriously, how is there any left on your head? Maybe brush it before showering so some of that excess goes into your hairbrush and not in the shower drain?)

Burning holes into a urinal I can't explain, though.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

yo rear end is grass posted:

The restaurant I work at does deliveries. More often than you'd think, those deliveries are cancelled after we've made the order. When that happens, the food is put in the back for the staff to freely eat.
It's surreal seeing the entire wait staff progress past the kitchen, as the kitchen itself becomes a ghost town. I'll often be stuck dealing with bills by myself.
They will literally abandon their duties on the spot to stuff their faces. These people are either perpetually starving or I work with vultures in human suits.
The same goes for when mistakes are made. If a customer* orders X and the cook makes Y, then it's up for grabs. This leads to repeat offenders, and it's obvious as hell. Like "Oh man I've worked here for 6 years how could I make such a foolish mistake every other day? But my goodness does that look good!" kind of obvious.

*I mean guest. When you go to a restaurant you are referred to as a guest. Because I know that when I have guest over I charge them for everything I can think of, up to and including extra salt and pepper.

Free food makes people do really stupid things. We used to get free breakfast delivered on Fridays, and people were like vultures. The food wasn't even very good, but it was free. One guy would collect yogurts from Friday breakfasts and keep them, uneaten, in his cubicle. He finally got a cubicle mate who sneaked over and threw them all out while he was on vacation.

Unrelated peeve: "HIPPA." You may be a HIPAA expert, but until you learn how to spell the acronym, I'm not going to trust anything you say about it. It's not a zoo animal, it's a law.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

Macing someone because they may or may not be staring at your feet seems...bad?

Can't tell you how many times I get "CCW" as a suggestion for complaints about getting catcalled. For one, CCW is difficult to get where I live, for 2, I don't feel comfortable carrying a gun around--they make me nervous even when I'm at the range, and I don't think I'd want to have one around in a confrontation, and for 3, I don't think murder is an appropriate sentence for casual sexual harassment.

I'm casual acquaintances with some people who I really really do not want to spend any time alone with based on their unhinged overreaction to a simple catcall.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Picnic Princess posted:

When random dudes on the street yell that you're a loving stupid bitch and a oval office or start following you when you ignore their catcalls, it's more than a minor inconvenience.

And it's definitely not a loving humblebrag.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

ghost emoji posted:

he just assumes all women are on diets

It's this. Especially with older people. In the 90s, I was rail thin and I couldn't put anything in my mouth without strangers commenting. Something healthy? "You don't need to eat salads! Have a burger!" Something unhealthy? "How can you eat like that and stay so skinny?!"

Old people apparently have immunity when it comes to commenting on other people's bodies. Thankfully I don't have this problem now, because it's not the 90s and I'm at a healthy weight, so the only kind of food-shaming I get is for not liking avocado. In California. Which is apparently some sort of crime?

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Re: plumbingchat, my neighbors are pretty cool and i'm fine with a slightly noisy neighborhood (the windows are pretty solid when they're closed), but the plumbing is loud in our place too. It usually doesn't bother me, but yesterday I could literally hear my upstairs neighbor peeing, and that was really weird.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
A zipper merge done correctly is so smooth and seamless, it's a thing of beauty to watch unfold in front of you. California drivers are so awful most of the time, but this is one thing they do well and I'm a little embarrassed how much I like seeing a good zipper merge.

I live in California and spend half my life in traffic, please do not take this away from me.

Edit: friend requests from randos. I'm a woman in a mostly-male sport, so I get my fair share of unsolicited friend requests from people I don't know. I don't mind it that much because our sport is fairly small and we'll eventually meet at some point, but lately it's literally been actual strangers who are not in the sport.

Yesterday I posted a comment on a friend's status, and his friend liked my comment and immediately friend-requested me. This morning, different friend, different status, some other random person made a comment that was funny. I liked the comment, he immediately friend-requested me. I don't know you! I just thought you made a funny joke! I don't want to see your kid's pictures or your great-aunt's recipe for rhubarb casserole.

Maggie Fletcher has a new favorite as of 21:58 on Jun 30, 2017

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

The Moon Monster posted:

Sissy is southern hick slang for sister. E.g. Go find your sister becomes go find sissy. But maybe there actually are a lot of kids named sissy, I dunno.

The male equivalent is bubba or bub, but that doesn't seem as common.

Can confirm, it's redneck for sister. I had a cousin whose name I never knew because everyone just called her that.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

YeahTubaMike posted:

I saw a person sit a diapered toddler on the counter at the Starbucks near my job, and I was seemingly the only person on line who was appropriately horrified. I could barely conceal my :catstare: face.

This happened once while I was working at Starbucks, and I quickly and pointedly (and thoroughly) sanitized the counter as soon as they took the kid off the counter before allowing any drinks to be put there. Maybe overkill, but I don't know what was in that diaper, and the person looked appropriately embarrassed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I remember when I got my first coffee bean grinder and my dad made fun of me about it every time he came over for months. "Look at mister fancy here, too good for folgers now are you?" etc and would refuse to drink it.

I think it's just a being afraid of change thing where they don't want to have to do it the "new" way. Eventually I got him to try a cup and he reluctantly admitted it was "OK" and now has one of his own.

One thing I love about my mom is, despite being in her 60s, she just loves everyfuckingthing. Starbucks has some new way out there flavor? Let's try one! Croissants AND donuts at the same time (she lives in the middle of nowhere, things take time to get to her)?! We have to try those! Butter in your coffee? Sounds gross, but I'll take a sip! When I graduated college a bunch of us went out for Chinese. I was the only vegetarian and she was the only one in my family to politely try tofu. She didn't finish the piece, but she at least tried it! I really think she was just happy there was something there I could eat, after seeing me struggle through vegetarianism in WV in the 90s, growing up. Sometimes she's a little on the goofy side, but I wish I had just a fraction of her optimism and her wide-eyed enthusiasm for the most mundane poo poo.

• Locked thread