Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

echoplex posted:

The S9 opener was similarly painful - we were pulling in Daleks from every corner of the country, from other BBC studios, exhibits, private owners etc. There was a dedicated budget line for Dalek transport. I got a few friends' replica Daleks shipped over but sadly none were used. DW has motion picture problems on TV deadlines.

I don't think anyone noticed but there actually a few miniature / model shots in that episode that used repainted/re-detailed off-the-shelf radio control Dalek toys. Of course these were out of production at the time of the episode so our poor buyers were urgently phoning up people selling them on ebay, saying "Yes, please send them to Doctor Who, BBC Wales...".

There is no part of that sentence that doesn't own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

PowerBuilder3 posted:

So why did the puddle monster scream and rush at her then? Hey, I can travel across all space and time, and track people too, but I'm just no good as asking them to go with me? Or just bad writing, or some rule all monsters have to roar?

it was just trying to say hello :(

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

all-Rush mixtape posted:

Has anyone said Class feels a lot like Torchwood series 1 & 2?

No because I like Class after one episode so they're already completely different :v:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Paul.Power posted:

Thinking about it for a minute, it's pretty obvious why the Doctor stands to operate the Tardis - he's one dude operating a machine that's supposed to be run by six, so he needs to stand so he can run around the various consoles. And the Tardis configures itself to suit those needs.

Which makes me wonder if there were Tardises out there with a seat for each console. Or even a purpose-built one-man Tardis where instead of the central column you have a swivel chair that can reach everything. Or...

I think it's non-canon but one of the fictional works says the TARDISes in common native configuration screw with dimensional space so much that non-Time Lords can't comprehend it.

I don't buy it but I can deffo see a Time Lord telling someone that (and then leaving it as a single room tube)

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

DoctorWhat posted:

Hey guess what: Clara owns, she's immortal, she has her own tardis, eat turds forever

Functionally immortal. I mean, someone else could timewarp her back to the moment of her death and kill her. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

e: Actually this raises an interesting point, she's just living between heartbeats. What happens if she sustains a fatal wound? Does it just not do anything? Does she heal it immediately? Does she die somewhere else and time collapses in on itself? :iiam:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Couldn't he poo poo himself without putting ferrets down his trousers?

Don't question Radagast's methods, they get results.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Is that Delgado on guitar? Where the hell is Ainsley? :mad:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

AndyElusive posted:

3 episodes in and this is already Capaldi's best season. It's cruel that this is his last but I'm enjoying every minute of it.

I find a Doctor's last season is usually their best. Probably a combo of having it down pat by then and wanting to give their last go their all.

Twelve is one of the doctors that's just going to get better with time (:haw:) once he's gone. He's had a huge character development arc and one of the best episodes in show history with Heaven Sent, plus an absolutely fantastic Master to play off of. He reminds me a lot of Three in that regard, although Pertwee's series was ridiculous out of the gate.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Plavski posted:

Also, potential spoilery thoughts: I heard the sound of drumming behind the knocking. I wonder if it's Simm's Master behind the door.

Multi master story. Do it, Moffat. Pull the trigger and get Eric Roberts and Derek Jacobi in there too. I want to see Gomez :smug: it up with an army of herself behind her.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

cargohills posted:

Don't read this if you've specifically been avoiding trailers and stuff.

You know that a multi-Master story has already been confirmed this series, right?

:aaaaa:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Bicyclops posted:

Capaldi is giving me a lot of Four vibes this season, while the content so far feels sort of like the Ten era. I'm really excited for the next episode because of (minor casting spoiler) David Suchet! :dance:

There's a little bit of something for everyone here: One's moral authority and temper, Three being kept on Earth for ~reasons~, Four being a weirdo...

It's great. :)

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

McDragon posted:

I liked that. The Doctor Saves a Big Alien is usually a good episode. Shame about Pete though.

Pete? Pete who?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

McGann posted:

Letting Youtube autoplay after this gave me this piece of awesome https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0DfuhREAds

The First Doctor was straight up Machiavellian and I love it

How quickly people forget the fourth companion, Mr. Rock

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Isn't there a little remark from Bill or The Doctor that he doesn't have time to get outraged because he's just always outraged?

That's my secret, Bill. I'm always outraged.

*turns towards enemies, regenerates back into Six*

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

One day Tom Baker will just vanish without a trace. And strangely, Peter Davidson will start acting a whole lot more smug like he knows something we don't...

Us: Ha ha I love how Davidson is doing imitations of previous doctors now
Davidson: when I say reverse the polarity of the neutron flow offer Chatterton a jelly baby :shepface:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Tim Burns Effect posted:

someone brought up chris chibnall to colin baker at a con i was at this evening and he's still salty about the segment chris did on open air in the 80s lmao

"Chris Chibnall?! CHRIS CHIBNALL?!?!"

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

The_Doctor posted:

A quick look at Rightmove for the Bristol area tells me 6, 8, and even 12 bed places are available, surprisingly. That estate agent clearly wasn't trying very hard.

okay I can see that for McGann and Smith, but I wouldn't want to tell C-Bakes I sold his place while he was on trial

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Nardole's head is organic, the body is the robot. I mean, the Doctor can't just sew his head onto a corpse after what happened during River's episode.

... right?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

The_Doctor posted:

There's only so many good tv writers in the UK, especially ones who will happily work on Who. Matthison will be back.

Also, yes! I now remember thinking 'ah, respiratory bypass!' while watching the episode.

Time Lords can also survive in the vacuum of space (Twelve specifically had zero problems taking his time getting into a spacesuit) so I'm not sure how long they were out there if his eyes boiled in the meantime. :ohdear:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Cruel Rose posted:

Big things went down this episode huh

the masters team up to split a sundae

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
The absolute best part of all this is the Ainsley goatee he grew for his return. :allears:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Murderion posted:

The doctor mentions that it's been ten minutes since the pre-cybermen took Bill when he heads for the lift. 1000 years in two days gives us a nice round number, so 500/24 is ~20.8 years an hour, divided by six is just a smidge under 3 and a half years spent cleaning hospital floors with creepy Mister Razor. :eng101:

I dunno the Master can be pretty charming and witty when he wants to be, from Delgado all the way up to Gomez. But once you've outlived your usefulness...

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
My reaction to the finale: wow, after that good of an episode it's really lame to have Twelve just decide not to regenerate, that seems like kind of a cop ooooOOOOOOH MY GOOOOD IT'S OOOOOOONE :psyboom:

Completely blindsided by it and it was incredible. I cannot IMAGINE the poo poo Capaldi is going to say to a young punk like One :allears:

(we need :allears: but grasping lapels instead)

Facebook Aunt posted:

Nardole will be fine. Eventually Bill will remember him and the kiddies, and the magic water lesbians will go back to 10 minutes after they left and evacuate all the remaining humans. Missy too, if the cybermen haven't upgraded her yet. It's so trivial for them it will probably be done offscreen.

I unironically love that water lesbians is a literal description of something from Doctor Who in tyool 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Xelkelvos posted:

New crack Master idea: Missy successfully regenerates and due to the influence the Doctor had on her, she takes on the appearance of said Doctor. Ergo: The Master played by Peter Capaldi

I'm reasonably sure they get around this one by just saying Missy isn't who he regenerates into right away, it's just his/her final regeneration. On the other hand, there has literally been no scenarios where the Master was really actually dead this time no we mean it really. :allears:

That being said oh my God can you imagine if they asked Capaldi to do that. Like they'd go on set to spitball it and he'd already be wearing a suit and a goatee.

• Locked thread