Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

MysticalMachineGun posted:

I'm quite excited for the new series as I love the poo poo out of Peter Capaldi and everything he does.

This news, though? Not quite as exciting for us Aussies:

Essentially it's Talking Dead for Who nerds but with a live audience and possibly terrible guests?

I have the word Whovian so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Nardole is perfectly fine but I'm not sure having him around actually helps anything. You could remove him from the rest of the season and not really anything would change.

It seems like if they were going to do a Susan episode this season they'd at least mention her name and role instead of just having a picture on the desk. I guess there's future episodes, but there was some camera time devoted to that portrait with nothing to indicate who she is besides "former companion."

It feels exceptionally weird having a newly-done (and well-done) introduction to a show which is basically going to be blown up in twelve episodes, but hey, it was a good episode, so.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

It's difficult to get a handle on Chibnail. His first Who story and Torchwood were totally execrable, and the Silurian two-parter was just as bad, but I quite liked both his Series 7 stories (I believe I'm in the minority there). The pacing feels on on the Power of Three and Dinorsaurs on a Spaceship has some tonal issues, but they're probably my two favorites from that half-season (again, a low bar).

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
A lot of the architecture and sets really looked like the Milwaukee Art Museum, but I'm guessing they didn't fly all the way out to Wisconsin just to shoot an episode.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

jivjov posted:

That's.....a bit of a stretch.

It's a really common thing for Neo-Nazis. Shitheads will signify to each other whether they're 14 (white nationalist), 88 (Nazi), or 14/88 (both).

https://www.adl.org/education/references/hate-symbols/1488

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
It would be nice if we spent the last couple minutes of the episode getting a confrontation between the Doctor/the workers and the corporate suits instead of finding out that everything worked out six months later and also the Doctor is blind now.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

PowerBuilder3 posted:

I want to know where CERN got all those bugs bunny dynamite sticks from. I thought they would overload the accelerator, since the thing already blew up on its own already.

It's a video game, they just took the dynamite out of all those red barrels scattered around.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Bicyclops posted:

Hopefully Chibnall will be able to do something interesting around the chains.

Let's be honest. That's not going to happen. Even without chains. And I like Chibnail's work on Doctor Who more than most people.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
As disappointed as I am with Chibnail as showrunner, I'm really happy it's not going to be Whithouse.

I actually really liked the design of the one monk we got to see out of the hood. I couldn't tell if he was different from the other ones, but uncovered he looked a lot more ratlike and creepy.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Senor Tron posted:

Wonder why no-one brought up the idea of just taking Bill off-world and away from the transmitter.

Or the idea of the Doctor not pretending to be a collaborator and in doing probably getting a bunch of people sent to labor camps with literally no upside except taking up 15 minutes of the episode. Or the Doctor not going to Missy with no upside to finding out what he already knows and taking up 10 minutes of the episode.

It wasn't only a problem in this episode, but I'm getting really tired of the one-off gadgets with very specific purposes. Like the Doctor's weird temporary sight thing in Extremis or Nardole's thing that...traces broadcasts except they're designed to be untraceable except this jobber can trace them. Like, just have Nardole say he traced the broadcast.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Jerusalem posted:

I liked that part, it made sense for all the reasons you mention plus it was a nice callback to the Doctor's earlier completely altruistic act of giving her photographs of her mother paying off in a way he never expected.

I do like that it's not a simple "power of love" ending, but I hate that the Doctor then goes and takes credit for it. The script has a big moment for Bill and then the Doctor shoves himself right into it.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I would much sooner put Paradise Towers on the top 10 list of stories than on the bottom 10.

Fil5000 posted:

I know someone who loves Time and the Rani. I just assume he took a blow to the head sometime in 1987.

Time and the Rani isn't good, but it's nowhere near as bad as its reputation. It's more mediocre than anything. It's better than all but 2 or 3 of Colin Baker's stories.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You're neglecting the fact they needlessly burned two entire episodes just to get to actually facing off with the Monks.

Extremis was an interesting idea and, I think, basically successful, and there's a really good idea at the core of the monks in Pyramid, even if the episode doesn't quite work. Lie was just a complete wet fart of an ending though. I can't believe it made it through a script that the monks don't even talk in that episode.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I'm really bummed that we're probably only going to have two more episodes with Bill in them. I've really enjoyed her character and she could have used used some more time on the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I wish that the Capaldi not wanting to regenerate thing had been at all set up. Like have the Mondasian Cyberman who attacks him at the end be Bill, and he decides that if he's lost her he doesn't really want to go on.

And I'm on the fence about David Bradley legit playing the First Doctor. He played a great Hartnell, but having him actually be the Doctor feels weird.

Other than that, I quite enjoyed it.

• Locked thread