Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I wish I was more excited than I am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Look

So long as it doesn't open with the Doctor choking Bill out

We should be fine.

We should be fine.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I was going to post the Wall of Shame for the previous thread, but most of you had disappointingly low post counts <:mad:>

Don't blame me, I'm not a Big Finish guy.

ALso the thread was like 50 pages, 49 of which was Power of the Dalek talk

EDIT- J Ru, seriously man, you have six pages of posts in that thread. I'm calling you out on that nerd master.

Burkion fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Apr 6, 2017

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

Sorry everybody.

What was this in relation to exactly

There's a lot it could have been about recently

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The_Doctor posted:

I'm trying to think of a story where the Doctor is up against a non-intelligent(?) creature like the xenomorph. What would he even do? I just get this mental picture of the 7th Doctor being "how do you do, I'm the Doct-" as it chomps into his head.

That's the trick.

He wouldn't be able to do a drat thing. The Doctor needs to be able to fight something he can be clever at, otherwise he's just a normal dude who has to deal with it the normal way. If it's something he can't be clever at, like a Xenomorph, he's really kind of out of options beyond just being competent.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

Good thing I never wrote 3400 words to that effect!

Well don't worry friend

New Who is upon us soon.

After that

Chibnall takes the lead.

Maybe he'll secretly be really good because we're all dreading him so much

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I mean when the man is right he's right

Basically the deal is, the Doctor tends to take on things that he can outsmart or outwit.

He almost never deals with a monster that is just overwhelmingly more dangerous than he is, without any weaknesses.

Like, there's not a whole lot the Doctor could DO to the Xenomorph that wouldn't just be "What Ripley did but more British"

The Doctor would be screwed in the case of, say, a Godzilla attack. He'd just have to run and hide like the rest of us.

Inferno is actually a great example because the Doctor COULDN'T save the day. That fact haunted him too, for quite a while. There was no solution, there was no way out. He could only survive.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Oh he'd try

And then Godzilla would shoot it back at him like he did to a black hole

twice

Godzilla movies are almost as amazingly stupid as Doctor Who stories some times.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Here's the 'problem' with Capaldi's age.

He's rarely written for his own strengths. Any time they start up the whimsy bullshit, it never rings true with him. He is a very intense man, whether he is being dramatic, funny, serious, whatever

He doesn't do whimsy very well. But some scripts, especially early on, are written with Smith more in mind than him.

The action beats also are not written around him, and suffer for it.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah I think we've all agreed the vault doesn't matter and that whole mystery poo poo can go to hell

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

AndyElusive posted:

If you laughed or chuckled at or smiled or even just enjoyed anything about Nardole, then he's not a useless character. In fact, he seems pretty essential and welcome.

While he never made me laugh, fellow goon Seer laughed at him maybe twice. I remember one time, he recalls twice.

He is kind of fluff, but not awful

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bicyclops posted:

I finally saw the episode. I love Pearl Mackie as Bill and the costuming is giving her some great stuff, and it was an okay way of introducing the Doctor to her. Nothing is going to live up to Amy and Eleven, but it was world's better than Clara. gently caress the "I fattened her" line and all the stuff around it, but at least it was mostly a throwaway moment. I really like having Nardole around for comic relief. Not sure what I think of the vault or the vague insinuations that the Doctor has made promises yet, but we'll see.

Because of the threads we frequent, I briefly was confused thinking Mary Jo was playing some character named Bill on MST3K's new season as well as Pearl.

Then I remembered which thread I was in

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
And was supposed to have been evil what

Twice?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Carbon dioxide posted:

Since when ARE there seats in the Tardis, anyway?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70Myfm2pqZQ

Forever

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bicyclops posted:

Seven is clacking his spoons, Two is playing the recorder, Twelve is jamming out on the guitar, and all of a sudden Six comes in with an accordion and a lecture as to why it's infinitely superior, until the rest of them rough him up, and toss him back into his TARDIS, where he hits his head.

Out comes Seven 2 with another set of spoons

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Chokes McGee posted:

Is that Delgado on guitar? Where the hell is Ainsley? :mad:

He's secretly all of them at the same time. They're just wearing phony masks.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So is Moffat's gift to us for his final season a good season of Capaldi?

Because I'm not sure how I'd feel about that

Like this is when you bust out the quality Moffat? I guess better late than never but Jesus

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not going to lie, I was getting annoyed with the episode. There was a specifically interracial couple in the background of one scene, and I was really worried they were going to just ignore how loving ugly Britain, and especially London, was during that period entirely. It would be the most tone deaf thing to do, especially with Bill as a companion.

Thank God my fears were unfounded. I was really happy when they actually brought that to the forefront, because much like with Martha, it IS something that should drat well come up when going into history. And unlike with Martha, the Doctor was actually here to respond appropriately.

Like I don't expect EVERY trip to the past to feature something about racism- but London in 1814 was an incredibly ugly place.

Also they had the balls to kill a child character and not bring them back to life. So you know, bonus points.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I always have to laugh whenever anyone asks the Doctor something like that

Mostly because

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzmnPs64K74&t=2s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNuHV-iLBRw

YES

YES

YES HE HAS

He has killed SO many people

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
That's because the Doctor being non violent IS mostly a revival thing.

Like, some of the people he SEEMED to kill in those videos he actually didn't, but that doesn't mean he wasn't one to resort to violence. It just had to be appropriate. And of course it varied from Doctor to Doctor, but generally

If there was a situation where the Doctor could be clever around it, he would. Otherwise, he had no problem knocking dudes out or getting them killed. Or just watching them get their own idiot selves dead.

The Doctor's absurd Not Even Once rejection of guns and violence was born from his serious PTSD from the Time War and his nastier impulses as Nine, who ALSO reacted with violence towards a lot of threats.

The Third Doctor loving to get into karate fights did not help the average of Doctor Beats Up Bad Guys at all, mind you

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

echoplex posted:

No idea, to be honest. I couldn't even tell you if my specific budget was about right because whether you have £10 or £100m it always feels like it's 10% less than you actually need...

Now THAT is the Doctor Who tradition

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Fandoms

Were a mistake

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I was honestly annoyed at how long it took the Doctor to key into what was actually going on

When Nardole commented on the profit I thought it was meant to be a joke for the Doctor to call him on what was really going on because it was so goddamn obvious.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
See again, I was fine with the set up. I just didn't understand how it was a mystery to ANYONE since I thought it was a joke about Nardole putting things backwards. You know, "Of course they're not profitable, they're dead!" "They're dead because they weren't profitable."

It's such an obvious and quick thing I really thought the Doctor at the least had caught on the moment he said that.

Still not sure how he didn't.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
If you want a movie to catch, Dark Star directed by John Carpenter is pretty goddamn good.

It's a huge influence on Red Dwarf, Alien, and Red VS Blue.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

After The War posted:

I saw that a zillion years ago, and would probably appreciate it more now that I'm not, y'know, a kid.

It's a really good movie. But it's got a very adult kind of humor to it- not that it's high brow or any poo poo like that, but that it's stuff kids would be more confused about.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Here's the deal with people on tumblr complaining about sexuality

Ignore them. Ignore the gently caress out of them. The vast majority of people there either don't care or are fine with it. Only the loud ones get noticed, and they're loud for very bad reasons. They don't like it because it's wrong, they don't like it because it's not what they want.

The new season of Samurai Jack is a good example for this. There's a straight relationship on that show that got a very small, but very loud, part of tumblr up in arms as well as some others. You can not LIKE it, but generally the reasons they give for not liking it do not equate to it actually being wrong- just not what they wanted.

Some of them are also pretty young and say some stupid poo poo that they'll regret later on when they look back on it.

People can get very hyperbolic on the internet when they think others are paying attention to their opinions and ideas, and feel the need to play up every perceived injustice as a great crime to rail against.

Kind of like college kids in the (Put Decade Here)

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Wait, people are mad about that relationship? Jack and Ashi are adorable together! :psyduck:

ed: Wow, holy poo poo I'm glad I dropped out of the Samurai Jack thread after the premiere. There's people claiming Tartakovsky has gone full Lucas and the new season has been total poo poo since the forest fight. Are they even watching the same show?

I have not looked at the Samurai Jack thread because generally I do not trust SA threads about animated properties.

It goes to poo poo one way or the other!

And yeah man, I don't get it either

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Wheat Loaf posted:

One of the oft-cited facts about Nirvana is how Nevernind displaced Michael Jackson's Dangerous as the number-one album in America. Less frequently remembered is that Nevernind stayed there for a fortnight before being replaced by a Garth Brooks album that was there for 10 weeks.

Yeah people try to repress this fact

But the true king of 90s music?

Garth Brooks.

Everyone else was but an ant in the storm that was Garth Brooks in the 90s

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe

Maybe 4th times the charm?

Man why the hell has he been on the last two seasons and this one. Better writers haven't been able to stay on as consistent as him.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
What strikes me about the episode is that, for a very short time there, it was almost like the Doctor Who version of John Carpenter's The Prince of Darkness.

And then it went a whole other direction that I don't think was quite as good.

Also I honestly misread why they were committing suicide. I thought it was because they realized this was an alien invasion preparing to take on the real world, and they were doing it out of defiance to protect the real world.

Apparently they weren't doing that. They were killing themselves to....stop existing I guess

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

I'd say this might be the weirdest thing I've learned about Britain in the last few years

But you know

Brexit

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Not where I went!

Though that may say more about where I am than anything else

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
No, no- See that's what I thought it was too.

But I'm pretty sure the Doctor says the opposite. That they were just doing it to escape.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Yvonmukluk posted:

You just know she'd do her best Rita Repulsa.

The Doctor just forgets about her for 9000 years while loving around.

It does seem really weird the Master and River never met up though.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I will be very glad to get past this next episode.

Good or bad, it hangs over my head like the sword of Damocles.

There's this sense of quiet dread that I've been having because of it.

Mind you after that is the other shoe in the form of Chibnal so you know

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

joe football posted:

Did I miss something with the glasses where there was something clever that explained how he got a message out of the simulation to the real doctor? Without that, the climax is pretty lame to me; he just asserts that he can do something and that's that :shrug:

I can't really think of a satisfying way to do it, but I'm neither an alien genius or world famous tv wrier and they should do better :colbert:

I just assume they hosed up real bad and perfectly recreated his sunglasses, which would surely have some kind of quantum bullshit wifi that would connect to a real world network.

Like imagine you wrote up an email in virtual reality and sent it through the internet to some one. That email would still get to them, even though you didn't REALLY write it.

Same idea here, only with whatever bullshit quantum stuff the Doctor uses.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I can think of worst random trivia to know off the top of your head

Like if Bettie Page and the Wolf Man ever had a very NSFW photoshoot together

The answer, like so many things in life, is no

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
You guys are joking but I swear to God

Just please be a bland, boring episode that is just wrote and nothing important happens.

Please do that. Do that much. Don't try to tell a message because for God's Sake you are going to gently caress it to hell and back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I hope that was intentional and not a sign of the episode tanking

• Locked thread