Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Cleretic posted:

What is the 'reveal', anyway? Spare Parts doesn't really waste time before laying out that it's set on Mondas shortly before the Cybermen start being a thing. And the regular cover uses a Cyberman head too.

Yeah, it's like halfway through the first episode when the Doctor realises it's Mondas and rushes everyone back to the TARDIS. The original cover had a big old Cyberman head on it as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Payndz posted:

Peter Wyngarde would have been excellent as an alternate Third Doctor, though. Especially if he'd done what he did as Jason King and just played an exaggerated version of himself.

This is pretty much what Mister Six was in The Invisibles. And yeah, it was pretty great.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

Oh man, I haven't read the Invisibles in years. I wonder if I'll understand it any more now. 🤔

I read it about five times, two of them in conjunction with the guide. The last volume is still a mess no matter what you do.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

At this point I'd welcome an insane alien who plans to enslave us with the help of our paradoxical future selves. At least that'd make sense.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Five quid says the election fucks with Who scheduling.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

SiKboy posted:

It credits Chibnall with the arc stuff at the start and finish of the Silurian two-parter, but I thought that those were the only 2 bits that were actually added by Moffat to the episode rather than written by Chibnall (and are, not coincidently, the only two bits you need to watch you can happily skip the rest of it). Of the nu-who episodes he has written, I think "Dinosaurs on a spaceship" is probably the only one I dont outright hate. Its not a great episode, but its mediocre and largely forgettable as opposed to his usual level of boring and terrible. The Silurian two parter isnt "unfairly assessed as the least of a good bunch" so much as bad episodes of television made to look worse by being in the middle of arguably the best season of Doctor Who ever (or at least in the modern era). They would have been bad episodes in any season but they wouldnt have looked as awful if they had been bookended by say The Satan Pit and Love and Monsters instead of Amys Choice and Vincent and the Doctor. On a basic level I just dont like his writing at all.

I'm holding out hope that he decides that Showrunner should be a different job from Chief Writer and so we dont get him writing a lot of episodes, because while I'm sure he has many talents, writing good episodes of doctor who doesnt seem to be one of them.

His season one episode of Life on Mars is genuinely terrible. I'm prepared to keep an open mind but that one piece of writing soured me on him.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

SiKboy posted:

Which episode was that? I looked it up but imdbs very brief synopsis isn't ringing any bells at all.

The one where the suspect dies in custody because Ray force feeds him some drugs. It has everyone acting massively out of character just so Chibnall can do something GRIMDARK.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

I like the robots. Especially when they do frowny face.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Also that cold open should have been cut entirely because it did a great job of robbing the episode of a lot of mystery.

It's a real "Hadleys Hope in Aliens" type of scene.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Please don't, The Happiness Patrol is a little bit too close to home at the moment.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Paul.Power posted:

Thinking about it for a minute, it's pretty obvious why the Doctor stands to operate the Tardis - he's one dude operating a machine that's supposed to be run by six, so he needs to stand so he can run around the various consoles. And the Tardis configures itself to suit those needs.

Which makes me wonder if there were Tardises out there with a seat for each console. Or even a purpose-built one-man Tardis where instead of the central column you have a swivel chair that can reach everything. Or...

Somewhere there's a TARDIS that operates like Davros' head-in-a-tube from Revelation.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Astroman posted:

Anybody who wants to drat Capaldi for putting so much of his own personality and hobbies into the role needs to step back a second and remember Sly. The spoons and a lot of his physical comedy were straight out of his act that he dd before the show where he'd stuff ferrets down his trousers and poo poo.

And possibly have words with Tom Baker as well. And Jon Pertwee.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Delgado would be on contrabassoon.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

cargohills posted:

It also had The Beast Below and Victory of the Daleks in the first three which are both pretty bad.

Nah, beast below is pretty great.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

"Never have I had time for the luxury of outrage."

*David Tennant barrels out of his TARDIS behind him, yelling*

Or it cuts to footage of Six's big speech at the trial.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

Well in theory I guess a lot of them could have chosen to starve to death instead? :shrug:

Nonsense. There was a fully functional welfare state, they would have been fine*!

*sent to a workhouse, seperated from their spouses and/or children, and possibly still starve anyway if they looked at the governor funny, or alternatively die horribly from an easily treated disease that the in-house medical officer didn't know how to treat because he was either completely inexperienced or completely terrible

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

Not today, Satan.

And then you get Skyped by YOURSELF AND YOU ARE DEAD AND SO IS A RELATIVE YOU HAD THAT YOU DIDN'T KNOW ABOUT BEFORE.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Chokes McGee posted:

Us: Ha ha I love how Davidson is doing imitations of previous doctors now
Davidson: when I say reverse the polarity of the neutron flow offer Chatterton a jelly baby :shepface:

Man, we're gonna have to find the zero room again.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Tim Burns Effect posted:

someone brought up chris chibnall to colin baker at a con i was at this evening and he's still salty about the segment chris did on open air in the 80s lmao

I can't imagine Colin holding a grudge for years and years and years. And years.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

BSam posted:

I enjoyed that. Agree with 4 for 4 so far, but that's probably not a surprise to anyone.

Anyone listen to the "binaural" thing? I think it didn't add much except for when the house starts knocking from a bunch of different places, and it was pretty awesome then.

There was that and one bit where a knock came from behind and to the left that startled the poo poo out of me.

I liked that a lot. David Suchet is another national treasure, even if he DID play Not-Saddam in Iron Eagle.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HappyCamperGL posted:

Back to the Future.

Marty! We've got to do something about the Fuhrer!

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

The opening scene made me think of the last few minutes of Alien Isolation. I really like the suit design too.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Cleretic posted:

This is what, the third episode this season where the real enemy is society's exploitation off innocent people (two of them being pretty explicitly anti-capitalism, with Smile aiming at colonialism)? It feels like the entire writing staff is really pissed off at society this season, and I love it.

It certainly feels like everyone on the the writing staff has watched The Happiness Patrol before starting on their scripts, yeah.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Wheat Loaf posted:

You know what might possibly be fun if it happens? If Jenna Coleman makes some recordings for Big Finish, except she's playing different versions of Clara from throughout history and interacting with Davison, Baker, McCoy and McGann.

I would be down for this. Though the only one I can remember is the sixties looking Clara hanging around in corridors with Six and the one that pointed Hartnell to the right Tardis.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I think the important thing here is how does a t-shirt specify your sexuality more than dialogue?

"Because I don't like what the dialogue says and I refuse to accept I am wrong."

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

hanales posted:

I have a shirt that says "my sexuality is everyone is hot and I'm angry"

Can't get clearer than that I think.

Most of my t-shirts are plain and of little interest.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

It was definately a filler episode but I really did like that even as a simulation the Doctor came up with a way of pissing on the as yet unnamed aliens' chips. The Missy stuff is in the same vein - there's always another way.

I assume that we're going to be in for some sort of moral quandary a la Batman and the Joker, in terms of "how many lives did you just give up to another villain's scheme because you wanted to keep the moral high ground" and I'm extremely doubtful there's much of interest left to mine in that particular vein.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

Or ever, in fact!

You know, I don't know why they even bother keeping that thing around. It's just taking up space.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Senor Tron posted:

Of the most recent companions:

Clara: How Doctor Who fans would imagine themselves as the companion.

Bill: The type of companion a non-fan would be.

Nardole: The type of companion a Who fan would actually be.

I dunno, Nardole has been pretty competent so far.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Facebook Aunt posted:

Yeah, we'd be Micky.

e: maybe a few Adrics

Micky winds up with Martha.

We're all Adam.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Cleretic posted:

So something has occurred to me.We're 6/13 episodes in, with the next episode following on directly from this one, with the same enemies.

Is this the longest a season has gone without an episode on ANY recurring staple enemy? We've had small appearances by the Daleks and Missy, but they were both ancillary to the actual focus of the story. With the very debatable exception of Smile ('rogue colony ship AI' even if not the same ones) and Thin Ice (if you want to count 'man' as a race), every antagonist has been a new thing.

Series 6 I think? The silence were new for that opening two parter, then it was Black Spot, Doctor's Wife, Flesh two parter... you have to get up to God Complex before you get a recurring antagonist and even then it's a Nimon. Closing Time is your first PROPER recurring baddie and that's one episode before the finale.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

Jon Culshaw's Tom Baker has got much better than it used to be.

It still suffers from the same problem as all his impressions, in that they all sound like John Culshaw.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

Getting unequivocally killed and then just showing up the next day like nothing happened, without any explanation, is like the Master's favorite trick.

Isn't there a Pertwee story where his resurrection/prison break is addressed with the following dialog:

"So, you survived. "
"Yes."

Also today I learned that Paul McGann was going to be Sharpe until he injured himself playing football just before filming started. One can only imagine that we would have had one of the three million other possible candidates for Eight if he had.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

vegetables posted:

An obvious idea for a Doctor Who story is to do this with the Daleks. Have them change history so they're fictional aliens with loads of merchandise, then have everyone react to the Doctor saying they're real in the exact same way they would in our world.

That's KIND OF what the Jubilee audio story is. Sort of. A bit.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Is it Briggs on the voice work again?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

I was hoping it'd be something like The Destruction Factor where plants got modified and produced so much oxygen they became hyper flammable. But I guess rapidly composting people is good.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Echoplex, did you say you'd left the show at this point? I only ask because that door lock looked like something out of Chocabloc.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

2house2fly posted:

I'm 99% sure she was made lesbian because Steven Moffat wanted to address his image as a conservative fuddy duddy who can't imagine Doctor Who as anything but a show about a white man hero whose beautiful female sidekicks fall in love with him.

Hey is the voice of the Monks the same guy who voiced the Mouth Of Sauron in Return Of The King?

Edit: no he was not. He's not been in anything I'd recognise him from even though the voice sounds maddeningly familiar

I thought it was Nick Briggs doing his ice warrior voice. I guess when you go deep, sibilant and use received pronunciation you've only got so many ways it can sound.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

BioEnchanted posted:

It was a shame Jekyll ended so poorly, I enjoyed most of it. Hyde had some fun lines, like "Have you ever killed anyone? It's great it's like sex but there's a winner!"

I also liked "I don't know why, but I woke up really wanting to hurt you!"

For whatever reason, James Nesbitt (and later his kids) being shut in the coffin thing is stuck in my head. Gave me the jibblies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Yvonmukluk posted:

Well the Doctor is President of Earth...

God, that was a sloppy retcon.

I mean let's be honest, there was no way that was the original plan, right? Right?

I don't know that you can extract any sort of "original plan" from series 6 and 7. The overall arc really is a mess.

• Locked thread