Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
I don't have as much to self-advertise as Jerusalem, there, but I do have a continuity guide to the first 50 Big Finish stories, which strives to be both comprehensive and spoiler-free. Hopefully, it can help with the daunting "where do I start" question, along with the inevitable "...where am I supposed to know that guy from?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Tegan , Adam, and Steven

They're doing this on purpose, aren't they?!

Jerusalem posted:

This is awesome, though I did make a conscious decision not to try too hard to keep track of this stuff in my own head, especially since I listened to a large chunk of it out of order.

You were already long, long, gone - it was more because the question kept coming up in the thread, and we were tripping all over each other to warn people not to start with certain stories. Plus, there's the added bonus of someone getting to pick out their favorite Doctor, companion, alien, or style to jump in with. At some point, I may add a second page collating all our recommendations, but it's all objective for now.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

The_Doctor posted:

I'm trying to think of a story where the Doctor is up against a non-intelligent(?) creature like the xenomorph. What would he even do? I just get this mental picture of the 7th Doctor being "how do you do, I'm the Doct-" as it chomps into his head.

C"mon guys, the correct answer is always "When I say 'run,' run. Run!" There's tons of examples in the series, even if they're not the main threat and were released by the intelligent bad guys or the Master.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Wheat Loaf posted:

The coolest possible Doctor (relative to the time of broadcast) probably would've been Peter Wyngarde playing the Third Doctor.

Yeah, sorry, but...

AndyElusive posted:

aging rockstar

Oh, I think he had that covered, too.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Rhyno posted:

Why is a girl getting fat a bad thing? Do people not get fat in England?

To me, it played as "Bill realizing that she had spent way too much time being coy with this girl and that it was never going to happen" rather than OMG fat.

CommonShore posted:

Nardole is the TARDIS's office manager.

It's quite simple, Nardole is the Penfold to Capaldi's Danger Mouse. And since I was a Danger Mouse fan before I was a Doctor Who fan, I'm quote okay with this.

I mean, look at that. Look at it!

EDIT - Also, the Vault contains Chris Chibnall, obviously.

After The War fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Apr 17, 2017

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

AndyElusive posted:

Going back a few pages but the answer to this is and will always 100% be the Weeping Angels Adipose Nimon's Cousin with All the Sweet Hookups.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Have you not seen the Danger Mouse remake? Because you should really watch the Danger Mouse remake because it's fantastic :allears:.

Doctor Who is about the only show I'm able to make time for... Maybe when Big Finish gets the Danger Mouse licence?

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Lampsacus posted:

Yeah in a way the tv show is simply the entrance into the wormhole of fandom. So cosplay, audiobooks, classic series, youtube/tumblr community membership. It's great.

There's a TV show? :confused:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Bicyclops posted:

All the other TARDISes actually just used that web thing the Master made and had their own personal Adric from some other parallel Universe.

The Boner Dimension

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

AndyElusive posted:

gently caress you and anybody who cringes when 12 pulls out his guitar.

I want a multi Doctor episode where 12 meets 2 and they have a jam session.

Aren't we forgetting someone?

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Chokes McGee posted:

Is that Delgado on guitar? Where the hell is Ainsley? :mad:

No, that's Ainley with the thinner beard and no gray hair. Delgado is sitting behind the sound board in his comfy Inflatable Chair.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

jivjov posted:

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/doctor-who---series-10-special-offer-week-3

This is just happening every week for the whole season, isn't it?

Interesting choice to include one of the old Companion Chronicles that doesn't have a download available.

Thin Ice is easily the best story of that Lost Stories "season", so that's worth grabbing. It really went downhill from there, so you're not missing much if you skip the rest.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

CommonShore posted:

I started watching The Daleks' Master Plan on Sunday (yes I watch them back to back. Fight me irl.)
I won't need to, the sleep deprivation will do it for me. :smugbert:

Bicyclops posted:

I hate those videos, though, because, spider baby mass murder and whatnot notwithstanding, one of the most consistent aspects of the Doctor's character is an attempt to resolve conflict non-violently, and when he does resort to killing people, it's often commented on as a failure, but every time people comment upon the nature of the Doctor as largely non-violent, some rear end in a top hat smugly links to "The Doctor is gonna bust a cap in your rear end."

Counterpoint - they got me into Geto Boys, thus greatly enriching my life.*

* In my defense, I haven't seen Office Space for years.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Bicyclops posted:

"Never have I had time for the luxury of outrage."

*David Tennant barrels out of his TARDIS behind him, yelling*

The moment he said that, I knew it was a "we never, EVER, interfere." [ immediately starts interfering ] bit. Fortunately, Capaldi sells it.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Chokes McGee posted:

okay I can see that for McGann and Smith, but I wouldn't want to tell C-Bakes I sold his place while he was on trial

INT. TARDIS

Mel, Peri, and the Seventh Doctor watching the Public Register on the scanner. Headlines, all Six. The Sixth Doctor enters quietly. Loud cathedral music from the cloister room prevents anyone from hearing him.

Six: Hi. Hi. Hi there, my P and M.

All three look up startled.

Mel: Doctor!

Six (to Mel): Hullo love, how are you?
(kisses her)
Nice to see you, Peri.

Peri: Hullo, Doctor. What a... surprise, good to see you.

Six: Keeping fit then?

Peri (very ill at ease): Fine, fine.

Six: Well, how are you then?

Peri: Oh fine, fine. Keeping out of trouble, you know.

Six: Well, I'm back.

Peri (with feigned enthusiasm): Aye. Glad to see you back, Doctor.

Mel: Why didn't you let us know what was happening, Doctor?

Six: Sorry, M, I wanted it to be like... a big surprise for you and P.

Peri: Well, it's a surprise all right, a bit bewildering, too.

Mel: We've only just read about it on the Register.

Peri: Aye. You should have let us know, Doctor, not that we're not very pleased to see you again. All cured too, eh?

Six: That's right, Peri, they did a great job on my gulliver. I'm completely reformed.

Peri: Aye.

Six (looks round the console room): Well, still the same old place then, eh?

Peri: Oh, aye, aye.

Six (fake whisper): Hey, Peri, there's a strange fella standing at the console there munchy-wunching lomticks of toast.

Peri: Aye, that's the Doctor. He... ummmm, lives here now. The lodger. That's what he is... he... he rents your room.

Six confronts Seven.

Six: How do you do, Doctor? Find the room comfortable, do you? No complaints?

Seven: I've heard about you. I know what you've done. Breaking the hearts of your poor grieving companions. So you're back? You're back to make a life of misery for your lovely companions, is that it? Well, over my regenerated corpse you will, because you see, they've let me be more like a Professor to them than like a lodger!

Six cocks his fist and starts to retch violently, almost at the same moment Seven goes back to the console next to Mel.

Mel: Doctor! Doctor! Don't fight here, boys!

Six: burps and retches.

Seven: Oh, please. Do put your hand over your mouth, it's bloody revolting.

Six violently ill.

Peri: Well, what's the matter, Doctor, are you feeling alright?

Mel: Peri... It's the treatment.

More retching.

Seven: Well, it's disgusting. It puts you off your food.

Mel: Leave him be, Doctor. It's the treatment.

Peri: D'you think we should do something?

Mel: Would you like me to make you a nice cup of tea, Doctor?

Six: No thanks, Peri . It'll pass in a minute...
(after a pause)
... What have you done with all my own personal things?

Peri: Well. That was all took away, Doctor, by the Chancellery Guard. New regulation about compensation for the victim.

Six: What about Davros?! Where's my megalomaniac?!

Peri: Oh well, he met with like an accident. He passed away.

Six becomes a bit weepy.

Six: What's gonna happen to me then? I mean that's my TARDIS he's in, there's no denying that. This is my home also. What suggestions have you, my P and M, to make?

Peri: Well, all this needs thinking about, Doctor. I mean we can't very well just kick the Doctor out... Not just like that, can we? I mean the Doctor is here doing a job. A contract it is, three years. Well, we made like an arrangement, didn't we Doctor? You see, Doctor, the Doctor's paid next month's rent already so, well, whatever we do in the future, we cant just say to the Doctor to get out, now can we?

Seven: No, there's much more than that, though. I mean I've got you two to think of. I mean, you're more like companions to me. Well, it wouldn't be fair now, would it, for me to go off and leave you two to the tender mercies of this young monster who's been like no real Time Lord at all. Look, let him go off and find a room somewhere. Let him learn the errors of his way, and that a bad boy like he's been don't deserve such good companions as he's had.

Six: Alright. I see how things are now. I've suffered and I've suffered, and I've suffered and everybody wants me to go on suffering.

Seven: You've made others suffer. It's only fair that you should suffer proper. You know I've been told everything you've done, standing here round the TARDIS console, pretty shocking it was to listen to. It made me real sick, a lot of it did. Now look what you've gone and done to your companion.

Mel bursts into tears.

Six: So that's the way it is then, eh? That's the way it is. Right, I'm leaving now, you won't ever viddy me no more. I'll make my own way. Thank you very much. Let it lie heavy on your consciences.

The Sixth Doctor exits.

Peri (shouting after him): Now don't take it like that, Doctor!

Mel boohoohoos, the Seventh Doctor comforts her.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Bicyclops posted:

*Adric voice* Ah, yes... the weed number.

[webofboners.gif]

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Ms Boods posted:

Here's some background score for your lovely viddy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfHrryY5UL0

If I knew what I was doing with all the synth stuff I have, I'd do a Wendy Carlos-style Doctor Who theme arrangement.

But since I don't, have the Delaware Theme!

AKA "What if the whole thing sounded like the BOING from The Ambassadors*?"

*of DEATH
BOING

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

vegetables posted:

I was sad to hear about Geoffrey Bayldon dying; he was really good as the Doctor in the two Big Finish plays he did. I was sad BF didn't acknowledge his passing at all, as to me he counts as A Doctor even though he's a very obscure one. Auld Mortality is definitely worth a listen if you've not heard it, although it does have a few baffling references to book continuity.

A Storm of Angels was also a cool combination of 60s-era sensibilities with 80s-style genre-mixing/established universe.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Vinylshadow posted:

I don't care what color or gender the Doctor is, so long as I can recognize them as the Doctor.

That's what lapels are for!

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

echoplex posted:

I dunno, but Den of Geek saw that and the use of Eurostile in the graphics and sent me an email about it those both being RD homages, then made an article out of my half-guessed ramblings, which is slightly amusing:

http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/tv/doctor-who/49433/doctor-who-series-10-the-hidden-roots-of-its-graphic-design

This is the ep I left on to do another show. The other show is not very good, and now I wish I'd stayed on for a few more Whos. :(

A lot of the design choices felt like early Red Dwarf to me, but I fully admit to having limited exposure to British sci-fi aside from Doctor Who, Red Dwarf, and The Prisoner. And Alien, if we're counting that. So it's entirely possible I'm missing an established reference history, like people who only know film noir from parodies.

I have seen the first eight seasons of Red Dwarf, many, many times, however, and whether deliberate or not, those design choices made it feel more "lived-in" and less like a one-off set. The control panel was enough of a callback for me to crane my neck and see if the keyboards were Commodore 64s or VIC-20s. If they were, as one of the very few US Commodore fanboys, I would probably have irritated my family with a little dance, so I guess it's for the best.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Burkion posted:

If you want a movie to catch, Dark Star directed by John Carpenter is pretty goddamn good.

It's a huge influence on Red Dwarf, Alien, and Red VS Blue.

I saw that a zillion years ago, and would probably appreciate it more now that I'm not, y'know, a kid.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

fractalairduct posted:

I was really hoping that this was going to build up to a point about people being simulated not necessarily making them less real, but nope!

The Doomsday Quatrain is exactly that, with the alien invaders even running the simulation for the same reason. Also Nostradamus.

Quite good.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Jerusalem posted:

I like that the answer was,"Blast a billion volts through them, lock the corpse in a big box and get another Time Lord to keep an eye on it for 1000 years because who the gently caress knows how these regeneration rules work!?!"

80s Time Lords knew that total matter dispersal was the way to do it. No body to regenerate, no brain to keep alive in a fishbowl, just pure existence zero. And it would never lead to the condemned being sent through a black hole into a micro-universe of pure gaudiness. Well, almost never.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Diabolik900 posted:

Wouldn't this mean that the bad guys created the Veritas themselves when setting up the simulation? That would be a pretty big blunder.

My original thinking on this had been that there were possibly different eras being run simultaneously, essentially in different tabs - with all the self-awareness happening around the same time. From the Doctor's perspective, the Veritas message has been around for centuries, but it actually had just been written. But if they're projected holograms rather than entirely virtual, this makes less sense.

Now, I'm seeing it more like Restaurant at the End of the Universe, where there really is a Veritas document that reveals some Terrible Secret of Space, but in the program it only reveals the Terrible Secret of the Simulation.

After The War fucked around with this message at 13:09 on May 25, 2017

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Fil5000 posted:

See, I can easily see "no live rounds" being at the Doctor's insistence. Mind you I can also see the Brig saying "sod that".

"They never were immune to bullets, Brrrrigadier, I've been swapping your ammo for years." :chord:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

BioEnchanted posted:

The John Simm Master blows up with all his Cybermen, Missy walks over to her piano, that she had put there just for this, and the Doctor pulls out his guitar and together they sing:

Doctor: You are dead, dead, dead!
You are dead, dead dead!

Missy: Your hearts have stopped and your brain is coo~old
Doctor: YOU SO, SO DEEEEEAD!

etc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2c4hnA8jXwo for the uninitiated.

When I was running Paranoia, I played this every time a player died! It wasn't long before they were all singing along.

The Monks are frustrating because everything was there for a cohesive long-form story. They've run countless scenarios, they know humanity better than we know ourselves. There was such potential for paranoid "are my thoughts my own or what they've arranged for me?" and "is it possible for me to act in a way they haven't predicted?" sci-fi storytelling.

Probability and perception stuff gets me all tingly, and there were a whole lot of missed opportunities. :(

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Current Cybermen just wandered in from parallel Earth and hung around. The original Cybermen were from the Tenth Planet in the Solar System; Mondas. They kept on replacing bits of themselves with machines until they became what they are now.

Additionally, the term is used to describe the style of Cybermen that only appear in The Tenth Planet, who despite because of the cheesy costume better embody the terror of conversion. A cloth death mask atop a body bag equipped with bulky artificial lung hits home in a way an armored tank-suit, no matter how excellent, doesn't.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

2house2fly posted:

"die me die me"

"The me, the me" :pseudo:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

docbeard posted:

For the record: I know Three only has like one audio that features them

The Blue Tooth is a Three Companion Chronicle that actually does something a little different with the Cybermen concept.

EDIT - Oh, going by the Wikipedia page, that's probably the one you were talking about. Still worth a listen!

After The War fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jun 28, 2017

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
It's been a while since we talked about the music for World Enough, but a few points were reminiscent of the creepier parts of John Barry's score for The Black Hole, appropriately enough.

If you don't know it (in this thread of all places, shame on you :mad:), it was the middle point between Disney's big adventure movies of the 50s-60s and the post Star Wars sci-fi boom, and features a scientist who has parked his ship at the edge of a black hole who has surgically converted his crew into cyborgs without free will or individuality to keep them from mutinying. Hey, that sounds familiar - the only thing missing is the pudgy, smart rear end-robot...

Oh. Well played, Moffat & Co. Well played.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Irony Be My Shield posted:

That could be a good gimmick though.

That would have been fun to gently caress with.

:geno: We have always heard the voice of the Chronicler of Rassilon...

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
I think you mean:

Box of Bunnies posted:

:siren: Also anyone that doesn't have the Unbound stories with Geoffrey Bayldon and David Warner as the Doctor should go and grab them while they're this cheap :siren:

It's worth it for the Warner stories alone. Hell, it's worth it for Masters of War alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Bicyclops posted:

It's definitely Exile. Exile is the second worst Big Finish story, behind only Creed of the Kromon; He Jests at Scars doesn't come anywhere close to being that bad. Like, most of the Irish Wildthyme stories are probably worse than Jests.

I can't hate Exile, simply because I broke out a stupid grin every time David Tennant said anything, since he's having so much fun doing the "Time Lord out of water" bit. Ditto Michael Jayston in "He Jests At Scars", even with an absurd amount of continuity wankery.

It's me, I'm the one with the incomprehensible bad opinion! :cry:

Boy That Time Forgot is about the only one I've heard that's vile as Kromon or Nekromanteia.

• Locked thread