Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Yeah, part of what I like about this game is the little things like that. It makes it really obvious that it was a labor of love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Legs Benedict posted:

you can WHAT?

There's a breakable ceiling right before the boss room that leads to a chandelier you can drop on one of the knights so you only need to fight 5 instead of 6.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

You can always swim. You only need an item to swim through acid.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

That may be a map.

Huh, maybe you have a point there. The "jar" symbol seems to be in about the right place for the collector.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

brain dammej posted:

How are folks finding the controls in this game? I find with a 360 controller using the analog stick for movement, I can't be as precise with up/downswings while moving as I'd like. Forget the d-pad on that, too.

I could just be a really bad baby gamer, admittedly.

I keep meaning to set up my PS4 controller with my pc for this game actually, I have exactly the same problem with the 360s crappy dpad/sticks. I like the controls, it took me quite a while to get to the point of having muscle-memory to actually be good at combat (I was bumbling around dying all the time up till like Hornet, and didn't really play with confidence till beating Soul Master) but I think that's not a bad thing in a game, first action game to make me feel like that since Souls games honestly. Or maybe I'm just lovely at action platformers idk.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

bewilderment posted:

Also man fuuuuck Soul Tyrant.

Lost Kin just requires equipping Defender's Crest and it's a straightforward fight.
Fallen Champion can be cheesed 4-Kings style with Stalwart Shell and a bunch of health.

Soul Tyrant there is no cheese, in the end I just had to learn to take it slow and hit him during the few windows he's not teleporting everywhere. I even died to the second form twice which really made me sad, until I finally beat him.

The cheese for Soul Tyrant is stand at the very right of the arena, right by the door. His ground charge can't hit you there, his orbs are very easy to dodge, and really the only worry is that he will shoot an orb at you and then do the ground pound fakeout so that you're forced to take damage. Even then, he is so slow and has so many openings that you can easily make your health back. I think he is far easier than the other dream bosses just because he gives you time to heal throughout the fight. Dying to the second form sucks on ice though.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

What is hidden dreams

The link gives no context. Is it DLC, a content update, a mod, or what?

Free content pack with two new bosses, a new stag station, and a new upgrade. They posted about it on Steam a while back.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

There's a neat article up on PC Gamer about the map design process. Some tidbits: at one point they considered a procedural generation approach then discarded it because it sucked; there was an extremely large lava zone called Bone Forest that was in almost every early design but then got cut and broken up into Deepnest, Ancient Basin, and Kingdom's Edge; the White Palace was one of the earlier concepts they came up with.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

WhiteHowler posted:

Yep, just found her. I'd been in that area before, but either I just overlooked her, or I didn't have wall jump yet.

What's a good way to get more money at this point in the game? I have a bunch of trinkets that I think are sellable, but I don't remember where the merchant for them is.

He's in the middle of City of Tears, near the bottom.

Don't worry about money, seriously. In the early game it feels like every geo is precious and losing a shade is like a gut punch, but you will get more money than you know what to do with.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Hornet 2 is pretty annoying

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, he is in a somewhat hidden zone but you only need dash and wall jump to get to him.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

OzFactor posted:

I know this comment is probably pretty tired at this point, but it amuses me how much this game plays like Dark Souls. Every boss so far has straight up destroyed me (except for the Dung Defender, my best friend and colleague) the first two or three times I've fought it, and then I tell myself I'll try one more time before giving up and going to get more stuff and come back later. And then I beat the boss without getting hit.

They're obviously very similar in the way they tell their stories, but the main thing that reminds me of Dark Souls is that I've finally been given a task and direction (after getting the Dream Nail) but the evidence continues to mount that I might not be the good guy here, or at least the collateral damage I'm causing may not be worth it. I don't feel like things are going to end up all that well for Hollownest no matter what I do.

The thing I'm not sure about at this point is what Hornet said in the City of Tears. "If, knowing that truth, you'd still attempt a role in Hallownest's perpetuation, seek the Grave in Ash and the mark it would grant to one like you." After this, the Black Egg Temple was marked on the map. Is that the "Grave in Ash?" Or is the monument to the Dreamers in the Resting Grounds where you get the Dream Nail what she's talking about? Basically, was she pointing me to the Dreamers or to the Black Egg? I know it doesn't really matter in a practical sense but I feel like it matters if she's saying "your goal is to open this thing" or "your goal is to figure out more about what's going on."

Neither of the above, it's the grave of the Wyrm in Kingdom's Edge where you get the King's Brand.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

That’s been there since before the DLCs. They might have changed it around a bit, I don’t know.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

celestial teapot posted:

Did Nosk get a buff? When? I remember being disappointed because the fight was so easy despite the build-up.

When the first DLC was added iirc.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

It used to be that if you just stood right next to the little raised bit in the middle of the room and swung upward whenever he passed by, he would gallop back and forth forever until he died and never be able to hurt you. Mondo anticlimax

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Torquemadras posted:

Oooooh, finally discovered the thread for this game. This seems like a good place as any to ask for some advice, because I recently got this game and I have no idea where to go :haw:

The last bosses I beat where the Mantis Lords, that teleporting soul master dude who gives you the ground smash spell, some crystal laser bug and - finally - that broken vessel guy (corpse that looks like me, filled with red jellymonsters). So now I've got walljump, ground pound, speed booster and doublejump. No idea where to go next, though.
I got to the Deepnest and explored the gently caress out of that place, but there didn't seem to be much going on. I got predictably trapped in spidertown, but there doesn't seem to be anything to do here? Only some sleeping spider lady, and one NPC who told me juicy lore then tried to eat me. :shrug: I got to the place for the Broken Vessel, though, so now I've got beautiful butterfly wings that I suppose will open something else?

Other then that, I also got to the eastern part of the City of Tears, where I got my rear end repeatedly handed to me by apparently infinitely (???) spawning rolling knight dudes. Are you supposed to tackle those guys yet? At first I assumed there was some kind of Demon's Souls twist where you have to find the hidden guy who keeps reviving more knights, and I DID find a hidden chandelier and dropped it above the arena, but I can't really tell if it did anything - the knights just kept merrily respawning. (It's moments like this where I wish the game actually showed life bars for boss enemies, maybe then I'd know what's going on with those guys...)
And the other big blockade right now are those weird shadow vortex things which block all passage. At first I thought I could pass through with the dash or the speed boost, but no dice. I suppose I'll find some gadget for those eventually?

Aaaaaaind final question: is there any way to get more slots for notches? I've been running around through the game with four slots for what feels like an eternity, and the game just keeps throwing notches at me. But most of the time, I've got the Long Nail and the compass equipped anyway, so there's not really much freedom there yet. How do I get more slots? I want to run around with tiny spider friends at all times :(

Overall so far: incredibly rad game, I can't believe I missed it all this time. I love the animations, and how obviously Souls-like it is in a good way (tells you fuckall, lets you find later areas early, unique enemies and obstacles for certain maps...). I'm sure I'll start talking in spoiler bars as well once I know what the hell is going on.

Deepnest: main quest progress is here. Look around in the real big room with the stag station at the top (to the left of the NPC who wants to eat you every time you talk iirc)
Watcher knights: there’s a limited number, which the chandelier permanently reduces by one. If you can tough them out, they gate progress as well.
Shadow barriers: you need an upgrade to pass, you’ll know it when you see it. This is probably the last upgrade most people get, wouldn’t worry just yet.
Charms: slots and notches are the same thing, the poo poo that goes in them is charms. If you find more charms, the charm seller in crossroads will sell you up to four more notches. A couple others you can find lying around or as a reward for fights.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

It’s not impossible (you can get into the far side of Fog Canyon without Tear if you have Shade Cloak), but I really wouldn’t recommend trying it either. Besides, it’s a fun fight. Possibly my favorite.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

I think it’s definitely a purposeful designed-in thing that you don’t always need the “intended” item to navigate an area. You can get a lot of stuff that would normally be gated behind the wings or even super dash by skillful pogoing off spikes and enemies for example.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Incessant Excess posted:

Thanks. Managed to take down the Watcher Knights so far, pretty tough fight for me, hopefully the other two won't be as difficult.

Also, is the tram pass really out of the way? I'm 15 or so hours into the game and still haven't found the thing, same with a use for the rancid eggs I'm collecting.

The tram pass can be a bit hard to get to, but you are likely to at least get into the vicinity of it on your way to another Dreamer.

To use the rancid eggs, open the locked door at the far right end of Dirtmouth, past the graveyard.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

C-Euro posted:

Just got the level 4 nail and how the hell do you forge a drill-shaped sword

Also I'm guessing that there's one more nail upgrade after this?

Yes, but it’s pretty tricky to get (gotta beat the second trial in the Colosseum in addition to tracking down all the other pale ore).

skasion fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jan 28, 2018

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

It’s not Broken Vessel specifically, it’s picking up Monarch Wings. Killing a dreamer does it as well.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Having fought Troupe Master Grimm once, is there any reason in particular to keep collecting flames? Am I going to have to fight him again but harder?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

They’re benign metroids

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

The bosses name is Uumuu. Y’all are confusing it with this fucker

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Crystal Guardian 2 is one of those bosses that is really susceptible to bum rush tactics. Stack up lifeblood health and quick slash and forget about trying to heal, just run him down.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Unlucky7 posted:

Also, do we know when the third DLC pack is released? I am tempted to shelve the game or at least slow down my pace until it comes out.

Early 2018, after the Switch release.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Zaggitz posted:

Visiting family for Easter and only have my laptop available to me so I figured I'd clean up some Hollow Knight achievements. Anyone have a good route guide for the 5 hour speedrun?

There’s a good basic guide on the Steam page for the old 3 hour version, should give you plenty of leeway.

e: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=878193536

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Soul Tyrant is ez. Stand right at the entrance of the arena. Don’t move horizontally, only jump to avoid his orbs/charges, hit him once or twice when he comes in range, use howling wraiths as necessary. It’s not exactly thrilling but it’s a lot safer than running around the middle of the room.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Slightly cheesy strategy, but Soul Master is really quite hard for how early you can get to him so I don’t feel too bad about it. Just stand at the right wall near the entrance. Jump to avoid the homing/orbiting orbs or shockwaves. You don’t need to worry about the charge attack because it will stop just before it reaches you. You will get plenty of opportunities to hit him, it takes a bit longer than if you follow him around but you are much safer while doing it.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Some of them are. The mantis civilization is just jerks who don’t like outsiders, for example.

But yeah mostly there’s something else going on.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Can’t you also get into the Basin through the sewers?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

i can see money being a lot tighter over the course of the game if you don't immediately superglue the badge that autopicks up money for you to your lapel permanently but no one would be crazy enough not to do that right

It isn’t, unless you literally just leave money lying on the ground

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Over There posted:

oh my god I recognized this immediately.

This game has better gibberish speak than any other game I’ve played since KOTOR

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Feenix posted:

Thanks. In doing this, will I come back around to map guy? I know where he is, but when I approach from the west to his map, there is a dark shadow wall.

In a very, very long time, yes. In the short run forget about it. Fog Canyon is not meant to be cleared until late game, for now you’re just passing through.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

I Said No posted:

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA HUNDOOOOOOOOOOOOO" is the best line in the game hands down, fight me

SHAW!!

ADEENOO!!

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

100YrsofAttitude posted:

So to fully awaken the Dream Nail, I'm going to have to beat the Dream Versions of the bosses huh?

Not looking forward to that, and yet I really want to see the Palace.

Also is the delicate flower quest as frustrating as it looks? I'm not even sure where that grave she wants me to go to is located.

You only have to beat two if you’re thorough in picking up essence.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Wildtortilla posted:

Where is the vendor who I should visit to spend tree essence resource? I apologise for not knowing the correct term for it.

You don’t spend it (well, except to set dream gates), just go back to the moth seer in the resting grounds every couple hundred essence and she might have a reward for you.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

C-Euro posted:

You only have to beat one IIRC. That does mean collecting all of those little dream trees, which some people find super-annoying but I didn't think they were that bad.

That’s true actually. I was thinking of the achievement which requires two or more bosses, but you can get into the palace well before that.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Your Computer posted:

:psyduck:

do people really think the mantis lords are watcher knighs/dream fights level hard? it's one of the best and most fun fights in the entire game if you fight them when you first get there

Mantises are a gigantic difficulty spike from the whole two bosses you have fought in the game up till then. Not that they aren't fun but I think the optional nature of them and the fact that Quirrel suggests you go get an upgrade first are a pretty clear signal to turn around and try again later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

The best speedruns end with 11% completion but there’s some odd exploits in there. I think you can still complete the game with less than 20% without breaking anything though.