Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Bought this game on a whim a few months ago expecting a fun little indie platformer and holy moly this was way WAY more than I was expecting. Genuinely one of the best games I've ever played. The entire experience is extremely tight and well thought-out. The developers clearly both knew what they were doing plus had the time to fully execute their vision. I just 'beat' the game at only 63% and am excited to see that there's still a bunch more game left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Tenebrais posted:

If nothing else, there's two obvious routes into the Fungal Wastes.

I feel like the game kind of holds your hand until you get to the City of Tears, but from there it just gives you some tools (Desolate Dive, the key for the sewers, the nail upgrade, and it's around then you'll reasonably have enough money for the lantern) and lets you figure out for yourself where to use them.

I was a dipshit and used the key to unlock Jinn because i thought that door MUST have unlocked something like a third of the game just like the graveyard near the fire link shrine in dark souls :haw:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Just finished the game at 100% and beat the Radiance. I almost feel disappointed by that last fight based on how hard some people were saying she was supposed to be. Nothing really came at you too fast for you to react and she rarely gets up in your face and forces you to make a mistake. As long as you stay patient and take your swipes when you can it's a pretty low-stress fight. I managed to beat her on my third try.

Anyways now I'm gonna take a break for a bit and will consider doing a steel soul run. It became way less intimidating once I realized I can just pause and reload the game whenever things get too spicy.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Yeah I managed to beat the Soul Master on my second try the first time I reached City of Tears because I didn't know I had any other choice. Beating him so easily led me to believe that was correct as well until I read more about other people's struggle with him itt.

It really is a testament to this game that basically everyone plays it totally differently. I was talking to my friend who recommended it to me throughout my playthrough and he was always blown away or even confused at the totally different routes I'd take. Conversely he'd sometimes probe me to see which things I hadn't seen yet and would be blown away that I'd made it as far as I had without running into certain things.

The one that got him the most was that I didn't unlock the tram until after I'd beaten the game for the first time. I genuinely missed the tram pass and because it's up in its own nook I never had any reason to backtrack there for another chance to stumble upon it. I didn't find it until I started looking for a guide in order to hit 100% :downs:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

My take on a beginner's list:
  • Once you get your first map you'll be able to buy map markers from one of the shops. Use them! Any time you run into something where you go, 'hmm I'll probably want to come back here' throw down a marker. I didn't do this and it's easily the #1 thing that would have made my playthrough a bit less frustrating.
  • Don't sweat whether you're going the 'right way' as there is no real right way. This game is primarily about wandering off and exploring and if you embrace that you'll get the most out of this game. Sometimes that means you won't go the #1 best route or whatever, but that won't matter as you won't realize there was an easier route until you start comparing notes with other players. Also- with that in mind....
  • Don't be afraid to retreat if a level is feeling a bit too spicy. You can genuinely brute force your way through the hardest levels with just starting equipment if you know what you're doing. But also remember that you will always have a dozen of other paths you can be going down if you decide you want to try something different. You've been using your markers, right?
  • Also- don't expect any of the levels to be too easy either. Even if you play the game in the most efficient order it will still be somewhat difficult. The game doesn't become 'easy' until the very end when you've essentially maxed out all of your equipment, unlocked all of your abilities, and acquired all of the charms. Even then the game still has some challenging levels up its sleeve.
  • Buy everything from the vendors. There are no 'worthless' purchases.
  • You can 'pogo' jump by slashing your nail downwards at just the right time allowing you to traverse spike pits and other obstacles. Practice doing this on enemies. This technique allows you to get to a lot of places early
  • Revisit old areas every now and then for the hell of it. There will be places you didn't even think to mark because they were so normal that actually lead to entire new levels once you've gained certain abilities.
  • Hit all the walls. Hidden walls are sometimes put in really weird places. You won't be able to find them all on your own so if you want to 100% you'll wind up needing a guide but even still- hit all the walls. You'll find a lot of stuff that way.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

YggiDee posted:

I just love how many different ways there are to progress in this game. Every time I find myself bashing against a boss, I just wander somewhere else for a while and by the time I meander back I've found a new trick or better tactics or different charms and what was once a roadblock is now just a good challenge.

This can, however, make it real tricky to figure what the heck I'm "supposed to be" doing next.

If you're ever unsure of where to go next simply look at your map and try to find paths at the edges that haven't been traversed yet. You can basically do that until you get to a point where it will start explicitly telling you where to go.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

veni veni veni posted:

, which was in part due to me playing with the sound off.

lol

I think that's a pretty big part of it

redreader posted:

Is there a non-spoiler reason why literally everyone down there apart from like 3 people, want to murder you?I mean they're living their lives down there and having a society and all, and they all want you dead.

p.s. I played this like 6 months ago, forgot everything, and picked up where I left off, like 4-6 areas in so can't remember any plot stuff.

The story doesn't really start coming together until the end of the game- and even then you need to go for the 'real' ending to really start getting the full story. Until then you're just going to get a trickle of hints of what's going on and if you're only a few areas in you probably haven't missed that much yet.

PIZZA.BAT fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jun 19, 2018

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

I know everyone else is saying this but it really needs to be emphasized that you should play this game with sound on. It's not quite like playing Portal for the first time with sound off (I had a friend who did this and then didn't get why everyone loved the game) but you're missing out on a huge chunk of the atmosphere and gameplay elements that lean on it.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

I loved Nosk because you absolutely knew a boss fight was coming from a mile away and that it was going to be a hard one and then that happens

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

BIG BUFF MAN posted:

Dumb question: do you get anything for maxing out your bank account? I’m thinking of Majora’s Mask where you get a piece of heart for depositing 5000 rupees.

Yes you get a pretty good ROI once you max it out.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

BIG BUFF MAN posted:

Any good strategy for getting Geo? I have gathering swarm which makes it a lot easier.

Geo will feel pretty sparse at the beginning of the game but don't worry about it. As long as you aren't constantly dying and losing your shade you should be fine. Just stop by the bank every now and then to drop off whatever you have. By the end of the game you'll be swimming in geo and won't care at all about it.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Sock The Great posted:

I'm 22 hours in and think I'm near the end of the game (Watcher Knights, have every movement ability) and I've never seen any of this stuff you guys are talking about.

Hollow Knight: There's always more and it's always grand

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

This is pretty entertaining

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMzS2Fra-WE

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

veni veni veni posted:

The move soul tyrant does where you dodge his dive, and he just automatically repositions to hit you anyways deserves some sort of award for most bullshit boss move.

You can still dodge him when he does this fyi. Don't dash until you see him commit to the dive

e: vvv Yes I was misremembering. Do what he says vvv

PIZZA.BAT fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jul 8, 2018

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

A Spider Covets posted:

Just got this for Switch! I read the OP and skimmed through the thread some, but was wondering if you guys had any must-know advice for first-timers?

posting so i can use my post history to find my list

edit:

Rex-Goliath posted:

My take on a beginner's list:
  • Once you get your first map you'll be able to buy map markers from one of the shops. Use them! Any time you run into something where you go, 'hmm I'll probably want to come back here' throw down a marker. I didn't do this and it's easily the #1 thing that would have made my playthrough a bit less frustrating.
  • Don't sweat whether you're going the 'right way' as there is no real right way. This game is primarily about wandering off and exploring and if you embrace that you'll get the most out of this game. Sometimes that means you won't go the #1 best route or whatever, but that won't matter as you won't realize there was an easier route until you start comparing notes with other players. Also- with that in mind....
  • Don't be afraid to retreat if a level is feeling a bit too spicy. You can genuinely brute force your way through the hardest levels with just starting equipment if you know what you're doing. But also remember that you will always have a dozen of other paths you can be going down if you decide you want to try something different. You've been using your markers, right?
  • Also- don't expect any of the levels to be too easy either. Even if you play the game in the most efficient order it will still be somewhat difficult. The game doesn't become 'easy' until the very end when you've essentially maxed out all of your equipment, unlocked all of your abilities, and acquired all of the charms. Even then the game still has some challenging levels up its sleeve.
  • Buy everything from the vendors. There are no 'worthless' purchases.
  • You can 'pogo' jump by slashing your nail downwards at just the right time allowing you to traverse spike pits and other obstacles. Practice doing this on enemies. This technique allows you to get to a lot of places early
  • Revisit old areas every now and then for the hell of it. There will be places you didn't even think to mark because they were so normal that actually lead to entire new levels once you've gained certain abilities.
  • Hit all the walls. Hidden walls are sometimes put in really weird places. You won't be able to find them all on your own so if you want to 100% you'll wind up needing a guide but even still- hit all the walls. You'll find a lot of stuff that way.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Inferior Third Season posted:

Decided to give steel soul mode a try. No problems with False Knight or Hornet or Soul Master. Really thought I was going to do it first try, and then just suddenly killed by the lasers on a single platform on my way to the movement upgrade in Crystal Peaks. I don’t think I’ve ever died in that section before.

wait people do this honestly without save scumming?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Wildtortilla posted:

I found and died to the Hollow Knight last night. I'm assuming this is the end boss and I think I missed lots of stuff. I never find a way to: remove the black poo poo that blocks paths; operate the tram cars; and jump extra high (I'm assuming there is something more than double jump).

Who the hell knows what else I missed. I have less than half the badges. This is worse than finishing Super Metroid as a kid and never finding the ball jump item. I guess I have lots of searching to do still and I thought I was being thorough in my exploring.

Yes. There's still lots of game left. Don't worry about losing anything if you beat the final boss- the save will place you back at the bench just before him. Also no there isn't any triple jump.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

I managed to beat the Radiance on my second try because I’d finally internalized the ‘dance with the boss and only attack when it’s totally safe’ mantra. I was whittled down to a single mask when the final phase began so ultimately winning felt so good

lol at making it all the way to that point only to give up. that’s something else

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

snoremac posted:

Please tell me the first colosseum trial is the longest. I thought I’d beat it after the swooping fly mother but it just...keeps...going.

you fool

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Ive decided to fire this game back up to finish off the trial of the fool and yeah- gently caress primal aspids. they’re the one enemy that actually gets under my skin in this game

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Final boss spoilers but if anyone wants a REALLY easy way to beat it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykeEovN7O44

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

cosmin posted:

Is it explained what actually causes the infection? Besides the need for an increase in difficulty :)

It depends. There are two NPCs who essentially explain the entire plot to you but they can be entirely skipped. If you beat the game and are still unsure wtf is going on then: look for Bardoon in Kingdom's Edge and exhaust the dialogue with the Seer Moth by fully upgrading your dream nail

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

cosmin posted:

I think early game emotions made me go over it - "I have to catch that flying important character, screw this guy getting chewed up, everyone says life is hard for adventurers here"

check your achievements. a very obvious one will let you know if you actually missed him.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Gully Foyle posted:

I'm experiencing severe paralysis in my Steel Soul mode run just before fighting Hollow Knight. I've got everything I possibly need for the fight, it's just so hard to convince myself to do it.

he’s pretty easy compared to some of the other bosses you’ve got this.

NOW FACETANK HIM :evilbuddy:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

the other thing is each of the environments is just packed to the gills with memorable charm that anything else just fails to hold up. like most games have one or two areas that are forgettable but every single area just grips you in its own way. hopefully this isn’t lightning in a bottle and the team manages to keep up the good work but they’ve seriously set a high bar for themselves.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

skasion posted:

In terms of value for money this is probably one of the best games ever sold

I'm not sure if it's enough to overthrow the current king of that title, The Orange Box, but the fact it's even close is a testament to it.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

I Said No posted:

With regards to Myla, wouldn't the implications of the best ending save her, provided you didn't kill her? Not that you're around to appreciate it, but still.

Arguably any of the endings would, I would think. The only difference is the [soiler]first ending is just a maybe temporary fix while the good ending is permanent[/spoiler]

Something else I've been wondering about is how parts of the story were hinting at the fact that many of the bugs were immortal which could have led to the radiance taking hold. I remember some of the dreams you can read from corpses being something to the effect of being so exhausted but being unable to die or something to that effect.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Feenix posted:

This game, hands down, maybe has the best fake gibberish voice acting ever. Like ever, ever.

Alright this reminded me of pretty much the only gripe I had with this game: the sound balancing on just one or two clips are REAL off. The two I can think of off the top of my head is Iselda and the spider's death noise in deep nest. Both of them are WAY WAY too loud and when everything else was so tightly made it really came out of left field.

The spider death noise I could maybe accept if that were the only example but there's no reason for Iselda to quietly sigh and then scream BAPDENADA so loud it almost blows out my speakers.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

You have the fortune of playing the game semi-blind again and you’re going out of your way to ruin it? Why?

Just go in some direction and see what happens!

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Is there any way to get rid of Salubra's Blessing? It was cute the first 500 times the ghost appeared but it's really starting to annoy me now.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

SirSamVimes posted:

why would you want to get rid of free soul refills at every bench

Not worth it if i have to listen to her giggling

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Is this new content unlocked on current play throughs or do you need to start a new game? Assuming the former as everyone is hitting the new content so quickly

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i rushed soul master my first playthrough without realizing that was what i was doing lol. i didn't know nail upgrades were even a thing. it was a bad time

:same:

it didn't really detract from the game for me though. i just thought it was an escalation of difficulty and i was enjoying it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

There's a noticeable difference in input delay between PC monitors and TV screens. It could be something like that. In my own experience I played through on PC first and then again on my Switch on a TV and I didn't notice anything different. However there were also a few years in between the two so it could be that whatever subtle difference there is got washed out so I couldn't detect it