Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tom Perez B/K/M?
This poll is closed.
B 77 25.50%
K 160 52.98%
M 65 21.52%
Total: 229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Abe Lincoln didn't have views of black people that we would call acceptable today, but we can still acknowledge him as a good role model, for the context of the society he was in. Same with FDR.

But you can't say that about Hillary, at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
braniac five has often been observed "jacking it" to old footage from auschwitz

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

JeffersonClay posted:

lol the post I quoted said it happened a long time ago and it wasn't noteworthy given the social mores of the time. That's the archetypal defense of slavery.

So is slavery bad.

Or is it okay if the African American slaves have ""low emotional intelligence"" according to a nondoctor who read a book and diagnosed the people polishing her silver.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

rudatron posted:

Slavery had already been outlawed by other countries by the time of the civil war, and abolition as a movement had already existed for a while, and gained traction. Its not a valid comparison.

The apologists for chattel slavery in the American south say it happened a long time ago and it wasn't outside the norm of moral behavior at the time, and they are wrong.

You said the Japanese internment happened a long time ago and wasn't outside the norm of moral behavior at the time, and you are wrong.

VitalSigns posted:

is it okay if the African American slaves have ""low emotional intelligence""

Nobody suggested they did. Hillary suggests murderers have low emotional intelligence, which is supported by a massive amount of peer-reviewed research.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

Brainiac Five posted:

So in other words, internment was justifiable and excusable. Wow, I am sure WampaLord will apologize and admit he was wrong any second now.

Internment isn't justifiable. It just reveals different things about the person who did it. And, you might note, though you won't note, that the entire conversation we've been having revolves around what these things say about the people who did them. We're not comparing internment and prison slavery, we're comparing what internment says about FDR to what prison slavery says about Hillary.

And also how the way you defend someone says a lot about you. Like saying FDR was good overall in spite of internment doesn't tar you with his position on interment, but defending Hillary's view on prison slavery does tar you with her position on prison slavery.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

VitalSigns posted:

So is slavery bad.

Or is it okay if the African American slaves have ""low emotional intelligence"" according to a nondoctor who read a book and diagnosed the people polishing her silver.

Clearly defending slavery isn't bad because the first priority is screaming at the subhuman backstabber shillaries.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Futuresight posted:

Internment isn't justifiable. It just reveals different things about the person who did it. And, you might note, though you won't note, that the entire conversation we've been having revolves around what these things say about the people who did them. We're not comparing internment and prison slavery, we're comparing what internment says about FDR to what prison slavery says about Hillary.

And also how the way you defend someone says a lot about you. Like saying FDR was good overall in spite of internment doesn't tar you with his position on interment, but defending Hillary's view on prison slavery does tar you with her position on prison slavery.

Yeah, you'd go to bat for someone actively oppressing people for their race and insist it's worse to make racist statements about an observed racist situation. Hitler was by far better than Hillary, you see, because his murder of six million Jewish people didn't involve exploiting them, unlike Killary singlehandedly inventing prison labor in 1866.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

rudatron posted:

Abe Lincoln didn't have views of black people that we would call acceptable today, but we can still acknowledge him as a good role model, for the context of the society he was in. Same with FDR.

But you can't say that about Hillary, at all.

So racism is OK if you like the person's politics, but it's a cudgel to use against those you don't like. Weren't you ranting about social justice as a conspiracy against the white poor a few pages back, and suggesting liberals who oppose racism are only motivated by white guilt?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

JeffersonClay posted:

Nobody suggested they did. Hillary suggests murderers have low emotional intelligence, which is supported by a massive amount of peer-reviewed research.

You forgot to answer whether slavery is okay

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

VitalSigns posted:

It is if you're enslaving white people.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

This whole thing over the past couple pages is an excellent example of centrists using dumb bullshit to distract from the real problems we face.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

WampaLord posted:

This whole thing over the past couple pages is an excellent example of centrists using dumb bullshit to distract from the real problems we face.

This post is a good example of phony leftists insisting racism is a distraction and racists are good people.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Nosfereefer posted:

braniac five has often been observed "jacking it" to old footage from auschwitz

Nosfereefer posted:

In both the cases of India and the US, a peaceful resolution was made possible by the long standing traditions of rule by law. The western philosophy of the right of the individual, as a fundamental part of both law and morality, has enabled movements such as King's or Gandhi's to reach resolutions vis-a-vis the central governments without resorting to violence. The Oriental Mind, however, knows not of such concepts, where the only respected authority is borne through violence. Their collectivist societies can thus only achieve changes due to outside military pressure (see: the Mongol Invasion, western influence in the 19th century).

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

:thunk:

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Holy cats.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Futuresight posted:

Internment was prison slavery. FDR had Japanese internees building infrastructure in Arizona for zero pay.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=4310157&page=1

Internees didn't even get trials.

VitalSigns posted:

Slavery is bad. A more nuanced take:
Chattel slavery is worse than Japanese internment slavery, which is worse than prison slavery, which is worse than wage slavery.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

It is hilarious that you brought this up, s if you read that very thread one more page, you would see I was joking. Why are you tying so hard to helldump people?

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Nosfereefer posted:

It is hilarious that you brought this up, s if you read that very thread one more page, you would see I was joking. Why are you tying so hard to helldump people?

is helldumping clicking on rapsheets now

excuse me, since im relatively new to sa, but i was under the impression that helldumping was not clicking on rapsheets

can somebody give me the lowdown

e: also, """"jokes"""" based on being a bigot, hilarious ha ha ha

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

WampaLord posted:

Obamacare is better than single-payer.

-2020 DNC platform.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Nosfereefer posted:

It certainly seems really believable given all your disgusting posts in this thread that you were joking when you made another disgusting post.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

JeffersonClay posted:

Chattel slavery is worse than Japanese internment slavery, which is worse than prison slavery, which is worse than wage slavery.

:thunk:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Nosfereefer posted:

Because if they can scream "I found someone saying something racist!" enough, it'll distract from centrism being an empty shell of an ideology. It's transparently obvious.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

RedSpider posted:

Obamacare is better than single-payer.

-2020 DNC platform.

So have you shot up your local Democratic Party office yet or is your attempt to purge the centrists limited to making posts on the Internet

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

Brainiac Five posted:

It certainly seems really believable given all your disgusting posts in this thread that you were joking when you made another disgusting post.

whatever makes you sleep at night, you loving ghoul

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

Brainiac Five posted:

So have you shot up your local Democratic Party office yet or is your attempt to purge the centrists limited to making posts on the Internet

I thought the congressmen shooter today was you, but you were still posting.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

WampaLord posted:

Because if they can scream "I found someone saying something racist!" enough, it'll distract from centrism being an empty shell of an ideology. It's transparently obvious.

nobody cares what you think, pal

hey here's a thought: maybe we can be leftist and espouse leftist and progressive policy ideals like ubi or gmi, indexing minimum wages to inflation or median wages, justice and penal system reform, single payer, etc. AND not be racist

whoooooaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Brainiac Five posted:

Holy gently caress B5, jumping to poo poo like this over a non-offensive jokey post is what gets you probated.

stone cold posted:

nobody cares what you think, pal

hey here's a thought: maybe we can be leftist and espouse leftist and progressive policy ideals like ubi or gmi, indexing minimum wages to inflation or median wages, justice and penal system reform, single payer, etc. AND not be racist

whoooooaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Why bother trying to "call out" every unpure poster you see? What does it gain you?

Owning 4-6 people on the SA forums isn't going to make the country less racist.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

JeffersonClay posted:

So racism is OK if you like the person's politics, but it's a cudgel to use against those you don't like. Weren't you ranting about social justice as a conspiracy against the white poor a few pages back, and suggesting liberals who oppose racism are only motivated by white guilt?
You can't read.

I literally explain the exact point I'm making, and in the first sentence of this paragraph, you absolutely mangle it.

You then go on to put even more words in my mouth. I didn't make either of those claims, and I never once used the word 'conspiracy'.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Nosfereefer posted:

whatever makes you sleep at night, you loving ghoul

What makes me sleep at night is the thought of forcing Bernie voters to take pop quizzes on Fanon and giving them electric shocks when they give the wrong answer. Well, one of the things that does.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

Brainiac Five posted:

What makes me sleep at night is the thought of forcing Bernie voters to take pop quizzes on Fanon and giving them electric shocks when they give the wrong answer. Well, one of the things that does.

ok

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

JeffersonClay posted:

Slavery is bad. A more nuanced take:

Agreed.

And in none of these cases does the enslaved's "emotional intelligence" justify enslaving them, even if the American justice system were a perfect barometer of such a thing and free of racial bias, which it demonstrably isn't. Yes?

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jun 15, 2017

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

WampaLord posted:

Holy gently caress B5, jumping to poo poo like this over a non-offensive jokey post is what gets you probated.

Why bother trying to "call out" every unpure poster you see? What does it gain you?

it doesn't "gain" me anything; it simply informs everybody that that person is a bigot

if you can't see anything worthwhile in that, then sorry that you suck

like, are you gonna also tell me that punching nazis is bad and we should debate them instead

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

WampaLord posted:

Owning 4-6 people on the SA forums isn't going to make the country less racist.

It's the right thing to do, you living incarnation of MLK's White Moderate.

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

Brainiac Five posted:

This is what a bitter Abuela supporter looks like.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

stone cold posted:

So you mean be Bernie?

Like I mean, honestly, that's pretty much all we wanted out of Hillary. But she refused to support half these things. Why did you feel like she was the right choice in the primary?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

stone cold posted:

it doesn't "gain" me anything; it simply informs everybody that that person is a bigot

Well, for example, I think everyone knows that Call Me Charlie voted for Trump now, you can probably stop announcing it every time he posts.

stone cold posted:

like, are you gonna also tell me that punching nazis is bad and we should debate them instead

No, but that's a non-sequiter, unless you plan on punching bad SA posters.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

RedSpider posted:

This is what a bitter Abuela supporter looks like.

Do you know who Fanon is?

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

stone cold posted:

Look at this guy supporting violence against congressmen and public officials.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

NewForumSoftware posted:

So you mean be Bernie?

drat, nice gotcha. I guess we've gotta denounce reparations as centrist identity politics now.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

VitalSigns posted:

Agreed.

And in none of these cases does the enslaved's "emotional intelligence" justify enslaving them, even if the American justice system were a perfect barometer of such a thing and free of racial bias, which it demonstrable isn't. Yes?

No one suggested low emotional intelligence justifies slavery, only that low emotional intelligence is correlated with violent crime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

WampaLord posted:

Well, for example, I think everyone knows that Call Me Charlie voted for Trump now, you can probably stop announcing it every time he posts.

No, but that's a non-sequiter, unless you plan on punching bad SA posters.

well since you seem to be ok hanging around racists i thought that was a reasonable question

like what is not to be gained by pointing out when people are doing a bigotry and shaming them for that

are we scared of hurting bigot feelings now, friend

e:

RedSpider posted:

Look at this guy supporting violence against congressmen and public officials.

lmao, but also for future reference i am not a guy

• Locked thread