Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tom Perez B/K/M?
This poll is closed.
B 77 25.50%
K 160 52.98%
M 65 21.52%
Total: 229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

WampaLord posted:

So gently caress all people without "talent?"

You're literally advocating for a haves and have nots society, which I guess makes sense given your love for banks and finance.

Reminder that meritocracy is by definition antithetical to democracy, where all people are held equal regardless of race, creed, gender, or education. It's why they drove out labor and union leaders. Why should those people be rewarded when they don't even have a degree?

The Democratic leadership has accepted it as their Prosperity Gospel though, so you better get used to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

NewForumSoftware posted:

Obama won because he lied about being progressive.

:(

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Apr 19, 2017

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

GlyphGryph posted:

drat those pages make my stomach twist up upon itself in anger. I'm physically uncomfortable after having read them.

It really is just a New Artistocracy. Neoaristocrats, royalty by virtue of "achievement" (by virtue of being royalty)

I have more. I bought the book. (The audiobook is where it's at. It's narrated by the author). I'd post the whole thing if it weren't filez.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

KomradeX posted:

I think this is being far too generous to Obama when it's more likely he subscribed to NeoLiberal economics as well. His Grand Bargin being a big hint to that.

Reminder that Obama supports standardized testing, charter schools, entitlement reform, cutting deficit spending during a recession, ("People are tightening their belts, the government should do the same," during a SOTU address), "cream rising to the top" and increased free trade deals.

He's a neoliberal Clintonite.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I would love to know how people believe "A livable minimum wage for all citizens" = racism.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Helping minority families have enough to eat and pay rent is racist. Got it. :rolleye:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Willie Tomg posted:

Because some of those citizens are white and therefore already hegemonic and instead greater and more achievable change would come from addressing issues of diversity and its not my job to educate you what those are or how they'd be addressed, PoC_reacts.gif

That's about as far as I've gotten.

So, do these people sidestep the fact that minorities have disproportionately higher rates of extreme poverty and single parentage situations which would be disproportionately improved over that of whites by increasing the minimum wage out of malice, or ignorance?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Majorian posted:

There's a lot more than that that can be done to fight racial injustice, though. Stuff like cracking down on racism and brutality in police forces, prosecuting companies and landlords for employment and housing discrimination, pushing for enforcement of the Voting Rights Act and fighting voter suppression efforts, or advocating for humane immigration reform? These are all super important things for leftists to fight for. If we don't fight for these things, then we don't deserve to say that we're interested in justice.

What if we increased the minimum wage, so that minorities could afford lawyers to sue the poo poo out of racist police/etc. organizations in civil court where it hurts- in their budget?

You know, like better-off white people do.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

shrike82 posted:

Anyone else read 'Shattered' (the HRC campaign autopsy)? No revelations but you really get the impression that while the Russia hacks etc. contributed to her loss, it came down to Abuela being a lovely candidate.

Probably gonna spend an Audible credit on it tomorrow.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Zas posted:

oh its on audible? good i don think I could deal with reading that prose straightup

Yeah, I checked when someone posted the Amazon link. I also have Collision 2012. Jeffrey Kafer was really good narrating that one.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

You know, Romney unironically is probably more similar as a person to Hillary than he is to Trump.

Did Romney ever refer to blacks as "super predators"?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Condiv posted:

you want to stop the police from getting the bad guy? maybe you got something to hide? :cop:

Asset seizures matter

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Condiv posted:

how can we increase our share of votes? let's target the 1%!

Eliminating the 1% isn't about increasing votes, it's about the changing the mouthpieces dictating the direction of economic and social policy.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

NewForumSoftware posted:

With our Canadian brethren falling by the thousands to their bad drugs I can understand why safety would be so paramount.

Would God, I'd smuggle in Epipens by the shipping container if I could help you guys. :canada:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

GlyphGryph posted:

Leftists and populists were effectively purged from the party in the 70s/80s as part of the rebellion against the then-party-establishment which installed most of our third way worshippers and corporate stooges. It's actually got a lot of really interesting stuff if you look at the history. God, I had a really good source for this but I can't remember it.

I'll just link my post, cause my break is running out.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3512233&pagenumber=2225&perpage=40#post469098495

Mister Facetious posted:

To be sure McGovern simply got the ball rolling.

- American politics." is how the sentence ends.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

NewForumSoftware posted:

lol "why won't you just support indentured servitude being put in place wholesale across america? god!"

I heard "debtors prison" is a thing in America. Is that true?

And since slavery is legal if you're in prison...

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

How could Bernie Sanders, the most popular politician, get fewer votes than Hillary, who nobody likes other than the feckless DNC, which has proven themselves to be incapable of winning elections?

Institutional inertia, tribalism, the fact that poors vote less than the better off professionals the DNC has been targeting for 45 years (also a GOP tactic), concern trolling by Hillary supporters that Bernie is racist (the GOP has also been accusing him of "inciting racial tension" for years), media exposure that favored Hillary by five to one, deliberately ignoring that economic improvements would be both faster to pull off than social equality (this is obvious every year when tax returns come in for the poor), and provide disproportionately more economic improvement to minorities than whites, as they are the worst off, and because professionals already got theirs and Hillary is an Ivy League professional, therefore...

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Apr 21, 2017

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

NewForumSoftware posted:

Well yes, because Bernie is a competent politician and not a lying friend of the banks.

Or a former Walmart director

Or a supporter of for-profit prisons

Or a lobbyist for Clinton era "welfare reform"

Or a negotiator for the provisions in the TPP

Or a supporter of charter schools

Or both supportive of "internet innovation in the job market" and non-committal about the effect of the "gig economy" on regulations and worker rights

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Apr 21, 2017

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Majorian posted:

And you think that would have been enough to make up for the resentment that people felt at seeing "their" candidate get unilaterally replaced by a group of predominantly old white men, with another old white man, based on a technicality.

On this, I agree. Sanders still would've had to win fair and square in the primary. A ratfuck is still a ratfuck, no matter how you spin it.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Especially since they don't want working class people anymore, except as a buffer of votes.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

NewForumSoftware posted:

Ahh yes, the classic "neoliberalism actually doesn't mean anything"

Nothing matters.gif :haw:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

SSNeoman posted:

In the same post:

You're not voting with your conscience, you're voting because it makes you feel good. If you did vote with your conscience you'd make a choice based on the voting system. Voting for third party with your conscience is disingenuous crap people tell themselves as an post-hoc justification.

You're confusing conscience (a personal moral decision process) with a partisan societal expectation to accept the status quo of a failed system.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

SSNeoman posted:

I don't disagree. I just hate how smug and sanctimonious they sound. Gz bro, you did the equivalent of sitting with your thumb up your rear end during the election. Nothing to be proud of.

Sociopolitical expectation, not partisan. And I'm not confusing the two, the third party voters are. Cry for change of the system, poo poo I'll even support you. But when it comes time to elect people, and this failed system is still in use, not using it correctly is foolish. Not using it correctly while knowing the correct way to use it, is malicious. And again, that's fine. But own it.

If you don't vote against the system there's no incentive for it to change.

The DNC should be asking itself why its coalition of white collar professionals can no longer entice the voting block of the working class except through fear baiting of the Other, and failing even then.

Hint: it isn't the fault of the poors.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Apr 22, 2017

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

The working class didn't leave the Democratic Party, the Democratic Party left the working class.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

FuriousxGeorge posted:

The most popular politician in America is an Independent. Makes you think!

You mean the most moral.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

icantfindaname posted:

let's split the difference and say neoliberalism destroyed the working class as a socially coherent demographic block

Sorry, no. The professional class doesn't get an out when their New Democrat God King Bill did more to gently caress the working class and minorities with free trade deals, bank deregulation, tough on crime/Drug War laws, and roll back Depression regulations and benefits further than any president in the post-war era.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

icantfindaname posted:

No, not necessarily. The message is "gently caress Republicans and also the Clintons". You can still fight for a political alternative

No, you can't, because admitting to voting third party starts this whole circle of bullshit over again, and nothing is done.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

"Was it defeat to choose the lesser of two evils?"
- Paul Maud'Dib, "Dune"

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Legalizing drugs without dismantling capitalism let's the pharmaceutical companies that created the opiate crisis push their shot even harder

So you prefer "Let's keep the minorities serving time and slave labor in for-profit prisons."

Got it.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

i prefer dismantling capitalism :shrug:

Yeah, what's three strikes and another twenty years to those minorities, amirite?

They can wait.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

It's been a while since I listened to The Big Short, but I'm pretty sure Countrywide Financial was bought by one of the biggest banks in the UK before the "originate and sell" sub-prime mortgage generation model went full retard. HSBC, I think?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Peachfart posted:

LIBERALS! LIBERALS! LIBERALS!

Need a pic of Ballmer on stage yelling this.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

stone cold posted:

"you know what's a good idea? shifting the party rightwards and making it more centrist, that'll help us win for sure! let me go lick some more koch boot, that'll help us with the working class"

-the cleverest poster in d&d

menino posted:

Yeah Dems can win on an anti-monopoly platform.

Except administrations don't enforce it anymore, especially with that last Democrat President, Obama:

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Apr 24, 2017

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

SSNeoman posted:

And now they can enjoy the gradual disintegration of the social safety net

Bill Clinton already took care of that:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Feldegast42 posted:

Good reads --what is this from?

Listen, Liberal: Or, What Ever Happened to the Party of the People? by Thomas Frank.

It's so good I bought it again, just to post pages on D&D.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Apr 24, 2017

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Hillary clearly thought she'd win professionals and women simply for being the cultured, educated, Anti-Trump, and expecting the poors and minorities to vote for her out of fear of Trump, because "lol what other choice do they have?"

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

KillerQueen posted:

This may be out of left field, but why did Clinton choose Tim "who-the-gently caress-is-Tim-Kaine" Kaine as a running mate? I remember thinking back during primaries that I wouldn't mind a Clinton/Sanders ticket (or viceversa).

He's a conservative Democrat to appeal to the "center", and a Harvard graduate to pander to white collar professionals and signal to the banks that they're safe.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Apr 24, 2017

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Worked for Justin Trudeau.

(I voted NDP :ussr: )

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

"Pretend the working class actually matters."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Kilroy posted:

I always figured that if America became a one-party state it would be in the aftermath of some terrible war or other calamity with breakdown of rule of law and suspension of civil rights and poo poo. Turns out it's happening right now because one of the parties has decided that cashing checks is cooler than winning elections.

This thread title is so loving accurate.
What do you mean, "if"?

:tipshat:

• Locked thread