Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Rhyno posted:

Is it even in continuity? It feels like just an artist showcase project.

It's not meant to be in continuity, but the idea of retooling X-men history in a more coherent way is not bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

davebo posted:

I assumed that was a bit of artistic license.

Of course, but that is also part of the objective. Giving those hundreds of comics a more coherent order and tying them together with a new interpretation, in the eyes of the artist, and less randomness or improvisation.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

I am hoping they also do something neat with the second part of that spoiler and not just leave it in limbo as a fallout of the first. Two for the price of one, so to speak, would be the best approach.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Destroyed X-men has been done, so that angle is less interesting, but the alternate reality books could be pretty cool.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Gynovore posted:

Doe anyone else think "The X-tremists!!" is the most cringey name ever?

Reminds me of Gambit and the X-ternals. Which was still a fairly decent part of AoA back in the day.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

I remember a relatively recent interview or podcast where it was heavily implied there were future plans for Revanche in the works, at least, but nothing is certain in this industry. Maybe next year they will try to do something more with her and Psylocke.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Uncanny X-men might as well be called "Road to Age of X-man" so the current book shouldn't be taken as indicative of how things will settle down.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Edge & Christian posted:

Age of X-Man essentially being Nate Grey's neuroses (he was born out of a test tube and has had difficult-at-best relationships with his 'blood' relatives, his first serious romantic relationship was with an evil clone of his 'mom', then whatever the gently caress Threnody was, etc) used to create a Utopia where everyone is born out of test tubes and no one is allowed to kiss or have sex or get married is actually more interesting than the past dozen alternate reality timelines at least.

So far, it's looking pretty good. The first issue was more of a tease than what I had expected, with a lot of varying implications and hints rather than much narrative movement, but I am enjoying the tone as well as the fact this is quite far from the original Age of Apocalypse in approach. Which was fine, back in the day, yet it's not exactly what I would be looking for in this age.

I'd argue it also feels significantly different from House of M too, despite whatever small degree of conceptual overlap one might have deduced from reading a preview summary. I don't know exactly how it'll all tie back to Uncanny at the moment, but I think this has the potential to at least hold up rather well in isolation.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

I think I enjoyed Wolverine and the X-Men, although it didn't really go anywhere. It reminded me of Excalibur in that way that most issues could just boil down to 'hijinks.' I think maybe I really liked Gillen's Uncanny run, but at the same time I can't remember a single thing about it.

I've heard positive comments about that first book too, but I still haven't read it. You know, Kieron Gillen did a pretty good job not losing track of what he was going for even with a couple of crossovers thrown his way. He did some interesting things with Mr. Sinister in particular.

Diet Poison posted:

Blue and Red or Blue and Gold? Cause Red's the good one, and had like half as many issues as the other two got.
It occurs to me that Blue and Gold both bored me to such a degree that I never actually finished either of them and just accepted the status quo shift when I started Extermination or Uncanny, whichever of those lovely ones. I don't even remember the difference between the two, or if the former was supposed to finish before the latter started. Was Extermination all about Cable?

Red was absolutely the best of all three and they probably should have just let that book continue on. Gold was trapped in Claremont nostalgia and that simply wasn't what the line needed. Blue had its moments, when they weren't messing around with Venom for an arc or so, but it also kind of felt like an extension of Bunn's Magneto work rather than a mainline title. He wasn't allowed to send the O5 kids back, which was left up to Extermination.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Age of X-man is better than the new Uncanny so far.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Well, at least Logan is back in a regular book now. It's a good outcome even if the execution wasn't.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Hickman's books tend to have a good sense of clean visual design. I like the simple logo and the title text.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

I do think there's a chance Hickman will stop at just those 12 issues, but my actual bet is he'll probably have something else as a follow up, even if it's not a run on Uncanny.

Dawgstar posted:

Rosenberg still writes X-Men comics but no X-23 or Mr. & Mrs. X. :smith:

Uncanny is selling a lot right now. Apparently Mr. and Mrs. X wasn't.

Which is a shame, because Rogue and Gambit work very well in that book.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Little Mac posted:

How is Dani Moonstar both in Uncanny X-Men and in Age of X-Man: Prisoner X?

That's apparently intended and will be explained, at least based on some comments I've read.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Most of what they're doing right now might count as giving Hickman and company enough room to think and breathe, but at least they have given some interesting creators a shot and let them try out their own ideas in a limited space even if the results weren't always perfect.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

Hickman said in interviews that you don't need to know any previous work going into this.

But he's also a comic history nerd so if you have read a lot of older stuff you might get more out of it.

I felt this was also the case with his Avengers and Fantastic Four runs. They weren't slaves to strict continuity in an exhausting sense, but had enough nods and references under the surface for those who were curious.

wielder fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jun 20, 2019

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

I think Cyclops was already in a weird place at the time in general. Also, I believe Bendis was still on the titles back then.

Hickman wasn't really handling most X-Men characters, outside of what he did fairly well with Beast/Sunspot/Cannonball in the Avengers books.

That's also why we should remember that the run up to Secret Wars was meant to be an apocalyptic scenario where basically everything was going wrong.

Obviously that doesn't mean I'll like everything Hickman tries to do now, but the man should almost certainly have a different idea in mind now that he has full control over the mutants.

wielder fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jul 15, 2019

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Skwirl posted:

The stuff with Cyclops and the phoenix egg was after the 8 month time-jump that none of the other comics ever really acknowledged until they did a special issue right before Secret Wars where the heroes deal with the fact that the universe is ending.

That is true, in the strict sense, but I see that as a coordination failure by the editorial authorities.

Either Bendis should have incorporated hints of those changes into his own work, or they should have reached a mutual understanding with Hickman. Who had been visibly building up to ending the existing Marvel universe for quite a while, so the big picture should have been clear.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

I am guessing that at least some of these "dead" characters will return in the final issue or at a later point.

Which is to be expected, of course, because that's usually how mainstream comics tend to operate.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Hickman has given us some interesting answers at his spotlight panel. It's worth reading everything but here are a few excerpts:

quote:

Hickman said with FF he learned he can only do nostalgia stories for so long and everyone knows what you're going to do. "The thing we're doing is delivering something new that makes you feel like it's old. I'm extremely satisfied with the results, and I hope everyone will enjoy it on Wednesday. If not, I'll be fired. That's okay. [laughs]"

quote:

Hickman: My only rule for the vast majority of X-stuff is there's no real need to create new characters when you have 100s that are not being serviced in a way that makes everyone happy. My mandate, my idea behind what we are doing is that we go back and fix what's broken, tell forward-looking stories about a lot of characters- many which you haven't seen in awhile

quote:

Hickman: We recognize it's been a difficult time for X-Men fans for a prolonged period of time. We want to give you a bunch of wins now. The first bit of it is super upbeat, then there has to be conflict. The second piece is my favorite stuff, where... I'm not going to tell you. If that is successful, there's no telling how long that will be the status quo.

https://www.newsarama.com/46199-sdcc-2019-jonathan-hickman-s-x-men-q-a-free-for-all.html

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Xavier returned in Astonishing X-Men some time ago.

We have also seen him with this new helmet and suit on the covers and promo art, so I assume they want us to take that as a point of uneasiness, at least for now.

If Hickman is correct, then next week we will start to recontextualize some of these initial impressions, given how he has described the relationship between House of X and Powers of X.

In the meanwhile, I thought the art was lovely and the issue confirmed that Hickman still has a lot of skill as a storyteller. We get plenty of information from both the dialogue as well as through the mannerisms and charts.

It's not entirely new concepts so far, taking superficial elements in isolation, but I would say the direction itself does qualify as creative and there are pieces that haven't been seen in an X-men comic as such.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

I think that means life 9 ended only after many years into the future? For some reason.

Life 10 is still ongoing, since that's presumably made up of everything we've seen so far.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

I think they are hinting in rather unsubtle ways at some heavy-handed uses of telepathy being involved here, which is part of what you'd need to make things consistent.

Also, given that they introduced the concept of multiple lives...not all of these flashbacks (or flashforwards) might be from the latest or current one.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

enigmahfc posted:

I haven't seen it mentioned, but do we know why certain books are in a red banner while most are in a black banner on the Reading Order at the back of each book?

This is the first time I have given a poo poo about the X-Men in since Morrison's run.

I believe it's meant to indicate those red entries are going to be very important issues.

Like House of X #2 with the Moira reveal.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

It's been argued thar the Magneto, Xavier and Moira scene isn't really a problem if it is understood as set around the transition that led to his redemption arc under Claremont, which was somewhere between Uncanny #150 and 200.

He does start to hang out with the X-Men and New Mutants during that era, more or less, until what we see in those first issues of X-Men (1991).

wielder fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Aug 14, 2019

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

I would imagine the plan is to explore most of the human consequences during the Wave 1 books, including Hickman's own titles. Right now, this initial HOX/POX period is basically all about starting in media res, letting us ask questions while giving only a few answers, and ultimately making a big splash to get readers hooked.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Even this late in the game we aren't entirely sure about what Xavier is like under that Cerebro helmet.

Both literally and figuratively speaking, mind you. I don't think he's another person altogether though.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Jiro posted:

Hmmmm so we should really only pay attention to the Hickman written books? X-Force sounds pretty dope.

Hickman's books will likely get the most sales, but I imagine the others will still be relevant.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Skwirl posted:

I wonder if Rosenberg knew about the resurrection stuff in advance and that's why he double downed on the cruel and pointless deaths?

He did. Unfortunately, it doesn't make up for the lame execution of those deaths.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

I can agree with the premise that Hickman is best at crafting a "big picture" sci-fi structure, but it's not like he is incapable of good characterization either. He has given us some great moments and lines of dialogue in each issue. Nonetheless, the man is only human, plus he doesn't have an infinite number of pages nor an infinite amount of time to give to such an insanely large cast of mutants. This is just the opening salvo of his X-Men run. He'll be on these books for a few years (a minimum of three, from what an interview suggested, but probably a couple more in practice) and other writers will contribute to filling in some of the gaps during Dawn of X.

I think each type of story has its own purpose and House of X/Powers of X is not an exception. The point of Hickman's Avengers run was that everything could go wrong in the face of a universe-ending threat...and it did. Tony, Steve and almost everyone else made a bunch of terrible mistakes. That all led to pure chaos and the new Secret Wars. Conversely, his Fantastic Four run had a (comparatively) far more optimistic tone, by the end, so it's not like everything Hickman writes will lead to as bleak or depressing of an outcome as his Avengers run.

So far, we're still in the honeymoon phase of this whole Xavier/Magneto/Moira effort. Things are going great and these wins for the mutants all seem to be a little too perfect. You could even consider it to be an intentionally creepy honeymoon, given some of the hints and foreshadowing, since it's inevitable that the Krakoa plan isn't going to keep going smoothly forever.

wielder fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Oct 3, 2019

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Rand Brittain posted:

I think "intentionally creepy" is the part that makes it hard for me to get invested, because what's going on is so divorced from really that I don't even know what I'm supposed to think about it, much less what I actually do.

I can't really pretend to lecture anyone about how to enjoy a work of fiction, nor do I know what's going to be the ultimate fallout from all of this, but in my personal experience...I think it's nice to see the mutants finally getting a big break. That alone has value as part of a story, even if it won't escape from both internal and external sources of conflict.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

My main concern about Wave 2 is that they might have too many ongoing titles, but realistically speaking...I am expecting a few of these to end up as 12 or 24 issue series, at most.

Strange Poon posted:

I think the Avengers run, if you consider that the outcome is the end of Secret Wars, then it's incredibly optimistic. Everything is resurrected because selfish, egotistical men who believed they were more concerned with being better than everyone else and at each other's throats realized the need for sacrificing their self-importance. You know, letting go of old, stale ideals to make room for a younger, different generation and bigger, better, and possibly drastically different things and an infinite number of worlds where all sorts of things are possible.

Oh, sure. I can agree with that. I was mainly thinking about the extended period immediately before what you're describing, but this is valid as a take on the ultimate conclusion of the story.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Hickman answers some questions in his Hickman-y way:

http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com/2019/10/14/x-men-monday-32-jonathan-hickman-answers-your-house-of-x-and-powers-of-x-questions/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Off Panel podcast interview with Hickman:

https://sktchd.com/podcast/off-panel-228-trust-the-process-with-jonathan-hickman/