Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

BrianWilly posted:

So far Phoenix Resurrection is reading like three first issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

I'm digging everything about Red aside from the art. Laura in particular seems to get the worst of it, where I didn't even realize it was her talking with Jean at first.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Depending on how you read into it (since the scene was incredibly metaphorical to begin with), it's not like Jean did all that much anyway. Laura had already been shown to be resisting the effects in a previous issue, and presumably building that resistance up for years. Jean points out right away that the "door had been open" to the spot in Laura's psyche where she'd been hiding away. All Jean did was encourage her to leave that shred of her childhood she was clinging to behind, so that she could embrace her life as a not-weapon.

You could have put any psychic in that spot and they probably would have been able to do the same. The development was largely from Laura, just framed from an outsider's perspective looking in.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

NmareBfly posted:

Kitty + Rachel when

:emptyquote:

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

So someone's gonna have to explain to me what the ending of Adamantium Agenda is all about, because the reveal that Laura is apparently... not a clone(???) is confusing me.

On one hand it seems like there's no new information in the way it's explained, but it's presented like a shocking reveal and I don't get the hairs they seem to be splitting on that one.

Also the other detail at the end that there's an X-Man who's only posing as one through genetic engineering is pretty :what: too.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

howe_sam posted:

I think it's Taylor tying a bow onto his run with Laura (and it doesn't really invalidate what's going on in X-23 since that book differentiated between Gabby and Laura from the jump, what with Laura having a birthday and Gabby doesn't), and laying track for future X-Men Red stories, maybe

I mean I don't doubt it's laying ground for the future, but I still don't get the significance or even what it's implying. :v:

Tony goes from saying "you're not his clone" to "you're not just his clone" because she has Sarah's DNA, but... even back in Laura's origin story they mentioned that Sarah used her DNA to replace a missing chromosome. And they obviously resemble each other. It seems like a whole lot of "yeah we already knew this."

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

https://twitter.com/MrCraigKyle/status/1028173194811727872?s=19

Saw this blowing up a bit. I'm not sure if he meant specifically to the cartoon, comics, or both. I don't think Laura's had any sort of inclinations towards women in anything? But I guess it's a "creator says one thing, current writers don't give a poo poo" sort of deal.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

I really liked Red, but there's a weird recurring trend through all the X-books of Rachel getting mindcontrolled. Again. Also in her old costume for some reason. Which I'm pretty sure happened in Gold and Extermination, all within like 3 months of each other.

I like that they're using the character but getting punked in the exact same way over and over feels oddly demeaning and just... lacks creativity.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Edmund Lava posted:

Has Rachel had any conversations with her mother (either of them) since the early nineties? I remember them coyly avoiding that in All New X-Men and can’t remember her running into Jean since she’s been back.

They caught up in Red's annual. I don't know if she's had any conversations with the younger Jean, but I feel like they addressed the weirdness between her and adult Jean before that too.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

https://twitter.com/TheBigBang_/status/1047092843527983104?s=19

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Rhyno posted:

I'm pretty sure more than one Marvel writer said they were directed by editorial to push certain things over others and Hickman tweeted about it last year.

Rob Liefeld was also saying very directly "there's a bigger budget for X-Men comics because of the movie rights now."

https://www.cbr.com/disney-x-men-film-rights-comics/ posted:

"Here's the deal. Since the X-Men movies came out and Disney didn't have them, I don't know if you've ever paid attention, but Marvel kind of turned the volume down on the X-Men for almost 20 years," Liefeld reportedly said at a panel at Wizard World Comic Con in Austin, according to MovieWeb. "Now that they have them more, what was told to me was, 'Oh yeah. Our budgets on the X-Men books are back up to what they used to be because now we own them all.'"

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Edge & Christian posted:

In that quote Rob Liefeld is either talking really inexactly or out of his rear end. While it's true that the first X-Men movie is (nearly) twenty years old, Disney's owned Marvel for less than half of that time, and Liefeld's done an extremely limited amount of work for the X-Office in the past twenty years. I can see why he's personally getting more money in 2018 (for a standalone graphic novel that they cross-promoted with Deadpool 2) than he ever did since the good old days of polybags and 501 circa 1992. If anything, given that (setting aside anyone arguing about relative talents aside) the X-Men braintrust right now is a bunch of relatively new/low profile writers and artists as opposed to the early 2000s when they were putting Morrison/Rucka/Milligan/etc. on X-Books, or even the post-Disney-buyout combination of Aaron, Fraction, Gillen and Bendis doing the main X-book along with commensurately big artists (and Greg Land) makes me wonder about where Liefeld is pulling all of this from.

The quote seems to be referring more to a conversation as opposed to his personal pay, but I imagine that's at least somewhat part of it. It's also in reference to an "X-Men crossover" he got picked up for later in 2019, so it's not like he's just throwing out guesswork at total random.

I think some part of the perception for everyone else though might be from the changes in the books themselves? The line's had that "oh poo poo, mom and dad are coming home, clean everything up" air about it as they revive Logan, Jean and Cyclops, revert Laura's character progression back to her 'more popular' X-23 moniker, de-vamp Jubilee, and shove the time-displaced kids back in a closet all in a pretty short period of time. There are some exceptions like Kid Cable or reverting Psylocke's body swap (which is odd enough that you could argue either way) but it largely seems like it's taking a stance of, "let's quit messing around and get back the status quo so we can really get cooking."

Or to look at from the Disney-edict perspective, they may have been content to let the actual comic books go off however, but have now come around with a "publish the classic, popular poo poo" direction. At the very least, it's all a bit much to be purely unrelated.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Cabbit posted:

Oof. Some of them extremely literally.

I'd forgotten about that part when I wrote that, but now I'm just reminded how hosed that is. :v:

It also seems like the block would wear off considering it was just young Jean doing it, and she, y'know. Dies.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Shonen Waifu posted:

That Colossus/Magick hybrid has Kitty's hair?

Honestly it looks more like Laura's to me, but I don't think either ever wore those hair ties or had it go down past their back. And Kitty's definitely isn't that dark.

X-O's guess on Moonstar seems closer, at least.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Alaois posted:

Also someone just brought this up in the main Marvel thread and it's something about House of X that stood out to me immediately, the lettering is done in proper-case instead of all-caps.

The only true safe haven for mutants: a dimension nobody else is writing for anymore.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

So some stuff from House of X:

Xavier standing over those pods is pretty loving creepy. Also, the fact that it's a redhead and a brown haired guy with ruby laser eyes feels a bit too on the nose for those to be random extras, right? Plus, his look seems different enough that I wanna think this is still Fantomex-Xavier. Also the casual mention of the mansion being back in Westchester as opposed to Central Park from the most recent run seems a bit off, unlike everyone who seemed to get a casual resurrection (possibly from the same pods?)

And some stuff from the Powers of X preview that was up a little while back:
The book is described as containing the 'secret past' of mutantkind and the previewed pages show mutants being hunted down by Sentinels and mind-read, in some poo poo that seems pretty similar to Days of Future Past. House of X's director's cut shows the script and has a note that states Xavier's always to be shown with the mask on - but the cover of Powers of X, and the up-front part of the preview with "the most important scene in the history of the X-Men" both feature Xavier's regular look, and both have Moira in them. The most important scene has Xavier learning of whatever Moira knows, and seems like the spark of whatever sets the whole thing off.

Lastly, some wild guess at the frame of the story so I can come back and laugh at how wrong I was:
By the looks of it, it seems like there's a past - whether that's in an alternate reality, covered up in the main reality, or something else, that details a near extinction of mutants presumably done by humanity. Seemingly this involves Moira and some of the other unrecognized X-Men, like the fusion of Colossus and Ilyana (who may be their mother?) When Xavier learns that humanity is willing to go that far/may go that far soon, and that organizations like AIM, SHIELD, STRIKE, and the others mentioned in House of X are all culpable with this Orchis Protocol, that's when he decides to pull the trigger on the Krakoa idea.

Offering MEGA DRUGS to the world and the potential threat of basically Omega level nuclear weapons, he tries to stalemate humanity by turning humans against humans if they ever enacted their Sentinel doomsday plan, and has the threat of these worldwide gateways where an Omega level mutant can just show up at any given time. The real question is whether whatever the 'secret history' was bad enough to make most mutants sign up immediately, or if Xavier's just influencing everyone himself with his new giant hat to help. Maybe some anti-mutant extermination poo poo has already happened in some capacity, tying in with what seems like a newly resurrected Cyclops and Jean in the beginning?

Part of me hopes I'm wrong, and a bigger part of me realized I'm probably wrong as I typed this up. :v: But hey, it's pretty cool to be speculating on relevant X-Men poo poo that seems like it'll matter.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

X-O posted:

I think Ms Marvel always used mixed case lettering as well. I know other Marvel books have as well. It's not just a shorthand for the Ultimate Universe font.

That being said, Powers of X was crazy. That was one of the best first issues of a new direction I've read in forever because every idea felt new and yet still a part of what we know about the X-Men. Home run issue.

Yeah, Runaways has been doing the standard case for its entire run. Also, it's still very good.

re: PoX, I've never been happier to have been so off base with my guessing. :allears:

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Skwirl posted:

Jean's telekinetic powers are only at what I'd call an omega level when she's possessed by The Phoenix, and even then Rachel's Phoenix backed telekinesis was way more impressive.

Speaking of Rachel, it always confused me with artists taking liberties with how her powers are portrayed. Her last appearance I think is in the Kid Cable X-Force run, and she's got fire from the eyes and a very Phoenix-esque visual. And then in X-Men Gold she's got the regular pink/purple TK thing going on.

At least, I'm guessing it's just inconsistency and not a weird Phoenix echo something or other going on. I can't keep track anymore.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

That raises a question for me, is Deadpool the reason Wolverine’s Regeneration isn’t Omega level? Deadpool’s regen is shown to be stronger, but he’s a mutate not a mutant, so technically Wolverine’s regeneration is surpassed by human technology?

I'm pretty sure it's because Elixir is considered the strongest in the general space of "healing." Even then, I don't think Wolverine is the strongest with his own regeneration either, like you mentioned. For mutants, Laura, Gabby, or Daken I believe have been said to be better off for not having a full skeleton's worth of adamantium dampening their regeneration. Deadpool might be outclassed as a non-mutant by Hulk, too.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

CubanMissile posted:

When did that happen?

It was mostly Claremont-era subtext when they were in Excalibur. iirc, there's also one mini where Kitty winds up as president and Rachel is first lady.

There's an episode of Jay and Miles where Claremont talks about it at length, too.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

So unless Xavier has a soul transfer machine hooked up, the X-Men dead and he's just making new X-Clones each time.

House of X #6 ends with Magik walking in eating some chips and going "but what about the souls."

Powers of X #6 is Xavier going "oh gently caress I forgot about the souls loving poo poo gently caress gently caress" for about 20 pages before smash cutting to another Moira life.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

glitchwraith posted:

Is Molly Hayes still officially an X-gene mutant? I kind of assumed the current Runaways run retconned her into a mutate (or at least, the daughter of mutates.) Though, if X-gene Sinister counts as a mutant, I guess she could too if she has the gene. Or maybe it's a situation like Franklin where her parents where mutates, but she has a natural mutant gene. Still curious if there is an official designation.

iirc it is a Franklin situation. Molly's parents were the result of genetic experiments to give them identical X-Gene powers (which I think mostly came about to shove away the incestuous connotations), but Molly's still recognized as a regular mutant.

The Hulu series completely changes her origin, but that's never carried over to the comics.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

Maybe they’re also conveniently covered from every viewing angle in universe too.

That could be someone’s power.

Unfortunately Krakoa also has mutants with anime avatars complaining about mutant censorship powers, meaning it too has already failed as a culture.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Billzasilver posted:

Leak spoilers but i understand everyone’s place except nightcrawler. And Rachel is okay, but why would she be above cable or cyclops or jean?

That is Jean there, going by Marvel Girl again. Rachel's gone by Prestige since X-Men Gold.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Was there any word of note on the Red King thing? Seems to contradict the leak from last week, though if it’s just a name change then I’m into that power move.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

BrianWilly posted:

Also where are they getting the beer

The first mutant they revived is the one with beer taps for fingers.

The second? Havok, but with onion rings instead.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

It's a bit odd, because I know in all the individual books spinning out of it, there's no way they can dodge the characters talking about the weird Krakoa beer 'n boning cult. But as far as what Hickman's doing now in HoX/PoX I also don't get the impression that there really is any singular connective tissue of reasoning for why everyone's going along with it, either.

A big reveal and lots of mystery dolled out piecemeal about Xavier, Moira, the nature of Krakoa, etc.? Definitely. But the impression I get for "why is everyone cool with this who probably wouldn't be" is just "because the story says so."

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Do you think Sabertooth can still hear the mutant orgy?

I like to imagine he's hitting the proof of his not-prison with a broom yelling at those drat kids to keep it down.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Alaois posted:

so now that Dawn of X is starting can we get a new thread or thread title at least, the Age of X-Man has been over for months

A PoX On Your House of X

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Rick posted:

The whole parents don't inherit their their parents power thing is why Rachel Summer's mutant power is her astral time travel thing, and her TP/TK powers were either directly from the Phoenix force (or just its "residue"), and she can't move her body through time without the Phoenix force, just her mind, so that's why she doesn't do that a ton anymore.

I have noticed in recent years though that the time travel part is almost never mentioned. Which I guess is fine since she's only used it a handful of times.

I mean if you believe Claremont, the Phoenix Force is considered her "father" through means of, uh. Cosmic conception or something, I guess.

Now you just have to wait for someone to reveal that the Phoenix Force is a mutant. :v:

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Billzasilver posted:

It’s good that Xavier is finally preserving his friendship with Magneto.

Now they play sexy strip Chess.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Skwirl posted:

I doubt it will probably come up anytime soon, but have any recentish comics dealt with Carol Danvers relationship to the X-Men? She's not a mutant but she was pretty close to them and was part of the team for awhile in the Claremont days.

It's brought up re: Rogue as a plot point in the newest Captain Marvel ongoing, and I think it's mentioned in Mr and Mrs X as well? But of those are very personal points and I don't know if there's much that touches on her dynamic with them on the whole, though.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Dias posted:

I'll give you your steak rare...medium rare.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Synthbuttrange posted:

lmao has HOT CLAWS come up at all anywhere ever again?

HOT CLAWS was featured beautifully in the holiday special

(this is the only appearance of HOT CLAWS that I've seen)

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Yeah, the rationale there struck me as more of a, "oh, phasing + gates = bad" bit of irony.

I suppose her phasing into Sabretooth's Not A Prison and immediately asking what the gently caress is going on would be a cause for concern, but nobody else who should be bothered by that is, so. :shrug:

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Cloks posted:

To be fair, I think he's referring to the people that interact with him on Twitter. I'm sure he gets a lot of aggrieved weirdos coming at him.

Listening to it now, the host backs up that sort of idea that it's like. There's someone out there who's the world's biggest Maggot fan and that he deserves a solo book immediately and how dare you not give him proper respect

And if you ever look at Twitter, it's that x100 and with every character you can possibly imagine. "Fans" is too kind because that sort of obsession is full on stan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

BrianWilly posted:

Maybe it's less bitchy in context.

At first I would've agreed with this, but he brings it up again unprompted and it seems something that really bothers him. :v: He does later bring up advice he tells to the whole office though, that they aren't representative of everyone enjoying the books.

Some other/different points from listening:

- He hates how so many pitches he got after he took over, that almost all of them were about breaking poo poo. The expectation that the other shoe would drop was ingrained in people's minds - being positive about it all the shock.
- Killing characters as the equivalent of "walking into the room and kicking over all the toys" isn't a good look anymore. Says it holds no shock value, readers don't want those types of stories anymore, and it only made things more difficult for themselves and fellow authors. Wants to be telling positive stories about the characters.
- All of that fed into the idea of resurrections. You can still kill a character as a plot device, but now it has to be in service of a bigger, more important story. You can't just dwell in a misery, you have to be more creative. "Be additive rather than destructive" is a rule.
- Says his personal favorite character to have written is Magneto for his killer lines. Generally thinks antagonists are more interesting, and other people on his team write protagonists better.
- The Jean/Scott/Logan polyamory thing is brought up. He says he isn't answering definitively and wants people to go wild with their headcanons, and enjoys the conversations and wants to encourage those.
- He wrote Sinister over the top to try and get everyone who comes after to get it. "Kieron wrote him at a 10. I'm writing him at a 15, so everyone else writes him at a 10."
- Moira is a Chekhov's gun and question mark that won't be going off "for years." The plot device element was chosen for her because she's always been a human. Can't say much because she's got a book coming.

- Eye Boy gets glasses. They all need different prescriptions.
- There's no baseball on Krakoa. They play esports now.