Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Wheat Loaf posted:

Remember when Lockheed showed up in Astonishing X-Men and it was revealed he was actually the ambassador of an alien race, and I think it was suggested he had been taking advantage of Kitty's friendship for years to suit his own purposes? I don't recall if the second part was exactly what happened, but the first bit is definitely true and I have to admit, I wasn't really a huge fan. It's a harmless thing to add in, I guess, but not something I thought was very interesting.

Lockheed being from an actually advanced race was made canon in - wait for it - Excalibur:

That he was secretly there to spy on Earth and use Kitty is definitely a Whedon thing.

(He did not wear sunglasses there, either.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rhyno posted:

Did he speak in that issue? Warren Ellis had him speak and only to Pete Wisdom. So when he told everyone Lockheed talked they all thought he was crazy.

Honestly if I remember right his race communicated through telepathy, at least in that issue. Whether it was species-only I can't recall.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I did just recall that Lockheed's race spoke (or thought, I guess) in rhyme. Do with that information what you will. I will continue to worry that it has replaced valuable knowledge. Did I once play the piano? I cannot be certain.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Domino is also good, although only tangentially X-related.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Archyduke posted:

Williams writes a great Emma Frost, and it's a really interesting direction (has she just been THE Hellfire leader before? I want to say no?), but what's up with Selene vis a vis the Hellfire Club right now? I know she's been skulking around TNC's Captain America but I've unfortunately missed the last issue or two. Also-- and this is so pedantic-- isn't the end-all be-all leader of the Hellfire Club the Lord Imperial, not the Black King (possibly Sunspot)? I've been so in and out of X-Men titles over the last few years that I'm sure I'm just unaware of what's up with this and that, but wikipedia is only so up to date on these things.

When did we get the Lord Imperial?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Domino is also v. good. She teams up with her pals Outlaw (from the Gail Simone Agent X series) and Diamondback of Serpent Society fame and does merc things. One issue made Dickie Meyers mad so it's got that going for it too.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skwirl posted:

Being a member of the Serpent Society shouldn't make you famous. Although in their defense they are the less racist of the two biggest snake themed villain organization.

Well I meant fame among comics readers and not the in-universe populace, but it's the Marvel universe. At least they have several sub-Reddits. Sidewinder's on the ball. The only villainous super-criminal to offer health, dental, vision, a matching 401K and will also teleport you out of jail.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skwirl posted:

Do they upfront you the cost of severe genetic manipulation and/or prosthetics and amputation?

Honestly everybody who came to the Society already had their gimmick, so it's more like Sidewinder hit upon an untapped market. The untapped market being the unionization of snake-themed supervillains.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rhyno posted:

Only if she erased their memories at the end of the mission. Along with all memories of the team mate that just died.

Wait 'til you find out there was an entire X-team that took out a branch she erased from their minds. Wolfsbane? Who's Wolfsbane!?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Android Blues posted:

- As mentioned, she beat Cyclops in single combat while depowered, with Cyclops allowed the use of his powers. She also duelled Callisto in a knife fight to the death, without the use of her powers, and came out on top. She used to be consistently written as one of the best martial artists on the team, with even Wolverine commenting that if it wasn't for his claws, he'd probably have trouble fighting her one-on-one.

Are we still counting Madelyne Pryor saying she used her powers to force Cyclops to lose during Inferno?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skwirl posted:

And she lives in a sewer by choice? The Morlocks are really badly conceived in general, given the time period they were created they should have been in a Brooklyn tenement

What makes it funnier is originally she was drawn as what might be described as a 'hard-looking woman' but got softer over the years because comics artists.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sentinel Red posted:

I never knew that Jean was such a shortarse compared to Ororo.

A lot of artists are pretty bad at drawing relative heights. The only one they're pretty good about reminding you he's a shorty is Wolverine and even that can come and go.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

twistedmentat posted:

My LCS got a new manager and she mostly read indie comics and she was asking me for some Marvel stuff to recomend, and I told her AN Wolverine. She told me today she had read everything up to the most recent x-23 issue. That was a week ago.

I did have to explain to her about who the Cockoos were though.

One hopes you brought your handy portable whiteboard with you.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Codependent Poster posted:

But if he hadn't died, then we never would have gotten the scene of Jubilee standing over his grave saying how much she wished she boned him before he died.

Aw! wait what

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Transistor Rhythm posted:

I'm one of those humorless fans who's been reading since '85 and thinks it was all downhill after Claremont left. I eventually fully threw in the towel sometime in the middle of Chuck Austen's execrable tenure and haven't read x-books since. Everything I read about the time-displaced younger team, the inhumans, Cyclops being "actually bad," etc. makes me want to vomit. But on this thread's recommendation I read all of "All-New Wolverine" over Thanksgiving via the app and it was WONDERFUL. There's so much warmth, humor, fun, and self-awareness without turning it into a joke book and still leaving room for serious character development and growth. I guess I'm moving on to "Red." Anyway, that was great.

It's X-adjacent, but Domino is also good.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

twistedmentat posted:

I don't want Scott back, because suddenly Jean will become Scott's Girlfriend again because people can't loving let that go and let her be her own character.

It is sad to watch all of Tom Taylor's work go up in smoke.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Edge & Christian posted:

It never got the room to breathe that Hopeless's run on Spider-Woman did, it had the potential. That alone almost made me willing to believe that the whole "bringing in the original five X-Men as teenagers" wasn't a bad idea, but Bendis didn't really do much with it and Hopeless's run was basically "six issues of solid set-up, then the shoehorned Apocalypse Wars semi-crossover, then four issues, then Inhumans vs. X-Men, then a wrap-up issue.

Yeah, that OGN Hopeless did with McKelvie really showed he could have written the O5 entertainingly, especially Jean. But... vague gesture at the rest of E&C's post here.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Archyduchess posted:

I'd guess it's just partially that the body swap was tangled up in 30-ish years of baroque plotting and an increasingly bad look for Marvel so somebody decided to just sweep it under the rug, rather than someone having a story that their soul was burning to tell that could only be told with a white Psylocke.

Oh, that explains one of the louder CG tools' 'Psylocke is Asian' twitter handle. What a hill to die on.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

At least Domino is getting a team book with her current creative team.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Alaois posted:

Is this referring to X-Force or did they announce another team book she's gonna be in?

No, Domino: Hotshots which starts in March.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Alaois posted:

e: only a 5-issue mini but poo poo i'll take it

Yeah, that's the unfortunate part but Simone and Baldeon are killing it so...

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

bobkatt013 posted:

There was a special a couple of years ago about them going to a Chinese buffet and he was not there but moon knight and songbird were!

Huh. Oh, yeah! Her real name is Mimi Schwartz. Neat.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Aw, somebody does remember Hope!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Wanderer posted:

Yeah, that actually wouldn't be a bad limited series, where the time-displaced O5 branch off to a new timeline due to having increasingly troubling senses of deja vu that eventually make them take a very different path.

You could give that concept to Dennis Hopeless and have a fine old time, if they let it alone.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nuns with Guns posted:

The thing with Bobby sucks but I feel bad for Jean, too, after she had so many mini arcs and a solo series about how she won't become future Jean. :smith:

Yeah. I distinctly remember the first issue of the O5 series (Blue, I think?) did the roll call for the X-Men and when it came to Jean it was all 'Team Leader: About time!) and... yeah. Double :smith:.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Endless Mike posted:

I thought the O5 were a weird story choice but they turned out to be fun characters that obviously had a time limit which was a bummer. Resetting everything is dumb.

Yeah, that's the real thing. Nobody wanted them, but once they were around good stuff started to happen. Hitting the reset button is typical, but also depressing.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Teenage Fansub posted:

And they've had a series of solo and team books focused on them in the last three years that I suppose didn't meet some threshold of popularity.

Sad, too. I liked Hopeless' Jean book.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Wanderer posted:

Making every second arc in every book about averting a dark future/fighting yourself from another dimension/dream sequences where everyone dies/fighting other heroes, though, is getting really tiresome. That's half my problem with the current Uncanny, in fact; it's just a bunch of old X-Men beats thrown into a blender without nuance and seasoned liberally with Rosenberg's bizarrely myopic take on Madrox.

Do tell about Madrox.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Android Blues posted:

It's mostly telepathy power bloat that raised the problem of every villain needing psi-shielding in the first place. Like, various stuff from the 90s, or the scenes from New X-Men where Emma Frost turns whole crowds of people into mind puppets, that set a new bar for what telepathy "was" in the X-Men setting, in effect just perfect seamless mind control unless your target had an extraordinary out.

I'm reminded than in a lot of superhero tabletop RPGs 'telepathy' and 'mind control' are both divided up into different things and that's for the best.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

So they give him a nickname based on his last name that sounds like a first name and one that's also hard to figure how they got said nickname from said last name. I dunno, people seemed happy calling him Santo. You'd need to be Michael Scott to arrive at 'Vic.'

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Dec 27, 2018

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Teenage Fansub posted:

I love that they preserved the rambling nature of his interview.

"They were having an X-Men..."

I still love his continued revisionist history on Deadpool as though the character sprang fully formed as he is known now from his brow.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Android Blues posted:

To be fair, he did start life as something fairly close to what he is now. He was still a wacky fast-talking merc who did violent superhero slapstick. The fourth wall breaking stuff, and the pathos, were the things that came later, but Liefeld and Nicieza initially wrote a Deadpool that was not so far from the character currently being published.

Like, people often talk about, "oh, he started out as just a gritty dime a dozen Liefeld character that was a Deathstroke rip-off, and other people made him funny," but that's not really true. If you go back and read New Mutants #98, which incidentally is a terrible comic, Deadpool is already cracking wise and being the Merc With a MouthTM. I think the story got distorted a little bit in the period where everyone was slamming on Liefeld for his artistic wonkiness and hackneyed ideas.

Having re-read it, mostly it's 'Deadpool has a motor-mouth' but he isn't even terribly funny. It honestly feels like Joe Kelly should get more credit for final form Deadpool. I think he was the one who made it implicit Deadpool hates himself. I haven't read the Simone stuff in years so I can't comment, but I've seen her name thrown around as helping DP along too, although I don't think she technically writes Wade that much but that's only because I can't really recall what the twist of Agent X was.

Speaking of 'technically writing the character' it was nice to see Rob shout-out Domino, but was he even on the book when the actual Domino finally showed up? 'Cause when she first appears she's a shape-shifter working with TOLLIVER. (Nicieza being a giant fan of ominous one-word names.)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Archyduchess posted:

I mean, I think he's definitely still popular in 2019 largely because of the trajectory Kelly set him on, but honestly Kelly was just running with a lot of the character beats that Mark Waid set up in the second mini-series.

That's fair. That I haven't read in ages.

And I'm not even anti-Rob or anything. One of the funnier things on Twitter I've seen lately was somebody @ing him with 'What the gently caress was up, Rob?' with a focus of the cover of X-Force #1 and Rob replied 'Five million copies, that's what' so the dude was clearly onto something.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It breaks my heart every time they're gone and never coming back.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

One of the few bright spots for me from Champions was Scott had a lot of chemistry with Kamala, but it never went anywhere. Like a lot of the book.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rochallor posted:

All the stuff surrounding Madelyne in Inferno comes from Marvel resurrecting Jean Grey against Claremont's wishes. It's not really done in a meta sense, but all of her rage and willingness to burn the world down comes from the fact that she was textually only a replacement for the real Jean, and now that the original is alive there's no reason for her to be. Scott leaves her, Sinister tries to kill her. What is there left to do but burn everything they've tried to build down?

I really like Inferno for lots of reasons, but the borderline meta approach to Claremont and Simonson's approach to Madelyne is up there.

Isn't it down to John Byrne specifically more than Claremont? He seemed to be the one who couldn't let sleeping Phoenixes lie, although now that I say that I'm genuinely not sure if that was a mandate so she could be around to join X-Factor.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rochallor posted:

Huh, I never knew Layton was involved. From how quickly he got shuffled off I kind of assumed the whole thing was an editor driven anniversary thing and nobody actually wanted to write the book.

Well, apparently he'd have been around longer but in interviews he said the X-Office saw him as an interloper and made the experience so miserable he left after five issues.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I think I enjoyed Wolverine and the X-Men, although it didn't really go anywhere. It reminded me of Excalibur in that way that most issues could just boil down to 'hijinks.' I think maybe I really liked Gillen's Uncanny run, but at the same time I can't remember a single thing about it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rochallor posted:

I think so. I was kind of off the comics train just after that but I'm pretty sure that at least in marketing, they were pushing Wolverine and the X-Men as a direct counterpart to Cyclops' folks in Uncanny post-Schism.

It was the soap opera-y stuff alongside the action-y stuff, I think the rationale went.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Now I wonder what happened to Spidey's bone claws.