Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Started playing this with my roommate this week and it plays like a "Greatest Hits" collection of all the Persona games. And it's stupid cool.

I really like Maaku Hamiru as a name and am okay with it winning, but Robin Banks deserves to be seconded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Going in blind, my roommate and I named our own guy Sakamoto, which made this part of the game with all the rumors and poo poo talking of Ryuji kind of a clusterfuck.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

The style of this game is loving magnificient.

I feel like Persona dubs have a knack for picking up good, relatively unknown talent. P4 had Troy Baker as Kanji before it blew up, and I really dig Max Mittleman's line readings in this game--he has a good knack for comedy.

I think "You jelly?" and "Wassup Persona" were the lines that me decide that I loved this game's localization team.

Blue Labrador fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Apr 26, 2017

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

A Catherine remake with online multiplayer would be amazing and also maybe actually motivate me to try and beat the bonus levels. Plus, I would love to see the competitive Catherine scene blow up because I was taken aback by how cutthroat it was when I saw it at Evo last year.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

I'm in the minority I guess but I'm actually a-okay with Joker dying causing a game over. Persona MCs are so OP anyway with how they can shuffle their weaknesses around and use every element that this mechanic (+ the sheer amount of SP Maaku tends to use) at least resembles an attempt at balancing. It also helps that you can retry bosses and mini-bosses in this game.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

While I love Millennials, I suggest the slight alteration of #Millennials for authenticity's sake.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

I can't wait to dunk on that boy.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

freshlybaked posted:

I don't know, Persona 3 feels as mid 2000s as you can get.

Aesthetically I agree; you can't have that many horns and fat beats in your ost without sounding like you're from the era of OutKast. But as far as plot and themes go I don't remember anything being particularly political or topical for the time period. I might be forgetting something about it though, it's been awhile since I played through the thing.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Arist posted:

Eh, who cares. We’re drivin’ a cat car through the Metaverse.

Sometimes you read sentences that you simply just appreciate,

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

This game would've been better if the notorious outlaw known as The Booty Warrior was a party member's persona.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

I never knew they (potentially) cut out Yosuke as a P4 gay option. I think that would've made his character way more dynamic, validate his Kanji-bashing a little more, and alo put P4 in the running for queerest rpg of the 2000s, which I could respect.

Also, as someone who grew up with a cop for a mom, Sae's jaded-rear end glib af conversation with Makoto about kidnapping and sex crimes is fairly on the nose imo.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Stephen9001 posted:

I'm pretty sure that's a photoshop.

Dollars to donuts I bet it's actually a pixlr.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Mementos would be more fun if it wasn't so easy to accidentally override the mid-dungeon party conversations

gently caress this Jungian nightmare poo poo lemme see my anime teen squad hangout please

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

[Blue Labrador Attempt #1]

The only logical choice is to Steal Haru's Heart (er...metaphorically so. Not in the pseudo-literal sense we've excelled at so far)

Undeserved or not, Maaku is blackened. The boy has a criminal record. An assault charge. Know what that means? Fuckin RIP good employment. RIP a cushy 401k. Big Bang Burger middle management may be the loftiest goal he can aspire to. Or maybe he can be a lobbyist for No-Good Tora but let's be honest, there's no money in that; we've all seen at least one episode of House of Cards. If we wish to avoid a meager and weak existence, our only choice is to gold dig. We must Date Haru.

Plus, unlike Ann or Makoto, you know Haru loving digs her Phantom Thief outfit and that's just plain wholesome.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Think about how many Holy Stones we'll be able to buy

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Whims of Fate is the best song in the game. I feel like it's flashiness comes out of nowhere relative to the other palace tracks, which also fits from a narrative perspective because the game has been one big build up for the player learning the full context of the in media res opening. This whole section of the game is pretty fantastic in its aesthetics.

Like Shadow Sae. Shadow Sae is amazing. It's so different from her civvy get up, but it also kinda really fits after the initial shock wears off. And her winged eyeliner is badass.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

The best poster in this dungeon is one that says "VICTORY ADDICTION" because it sounds like a sick band name.

I really appreciate Sae's design because I think it really nails the same duality that Makoto expresses between the real world and the Metaverse. High School President/Biker Thug and Prosecutor/Crime Goth. For me at least, it makes me go "oh, these two really are sisters" in a way that their previous dialogue didn't really emphasize.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Haru really might be the game's biggest waste of potential. The "Late-Game party member" and "Late Game Social Link" really shouldn't be the same character lol. That'd be like having The Hanged Man boy from P4 as your final party member

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Grapplejack posted:

Yosuke, yeah. I read him as super closeted, honestly. the cut gay romance + his reaction to the kanji stuff + teddie literally living in his closet :v: kinda sealed that reading to me imo.

Holy poo poo Teddie literally lives in his closet

Super closeted Yosuke just makes so much sense and at least lends nuance to his jackass moments. Plus it'd mirror Kanji's sexual-realization arc pretty nicely imo

Edit: Yeah I agree with both of the above reasons why dating her seems weird. Not only is she your sister analogue, but dating her after being her most immediate link to greater society just reeks too much of some weird-rear end dysfunctional grooming for my taste

Blue Labrador fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Jul 16, 2018

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Hunt11 posted:

The issue is that Makoto is naive enough to believe she can make a difference which is not a bad thing.

Yeah I think that's why I think the end of her link is pretty fitting. Idealism is kind of Makoto's primary thing. I mean, her metaverse outfit is fuckin' Kamen Rider or some poo poo

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

While I'm happy we're pursuing Haru cause she loving rocks, this entire arc is one of the reasons I feel like Makoto is the closest to a "canon" love interest purely because it showcases how she's more or less the deuteragonist of the game

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

I think the reason the samurai garb works for Haru is that the narrow tapered neck of the outfit is balanced by her wide hair and fivehead

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Snorb posted:

You. You're the traitor.

It's some big drat Tyler Durdenesque conspiracy.

"That drat #ProjectMayhem is full of murderers; they need to be stopped!"

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

My roommate noticed the pancakes thing right when it happened so while the characters playing dumb during Sae's dungeon felt terrible, the following twist felt loving amazing

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Tora posted:

Comrade

The Japanese Bernie Sanders memes grow even stronger

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Robindaybird posted:

Seriously, they basically screwed themselves over with having the animation done so early, with all the plot rewrites, they had to awkwardly shove them in as to avoid wasting the money they spent.

I think they should've just did it all in-game cutscenes, and use the animated cutscenes as promo material - like teaser shorts released to hype up the fandom running up to the release.

I think animated cut-scenes have a place in games like Persona if they take a more impressionistic approach in their presentation, and are used to build atmosphere or portray theme. I'm thinking, like, the intro to Catherine. The animated cutscenes of The Golden Channel were a super dope way to strengthen the Elvira-esque camp-horror of the plot and very obviously signify the game's intention to play with and explore genre in video games. If we simply wanted to see poo poo go down in the plot, we can just use in-engine bullshit. Is "we're on the beach now!" really the best excuse to completely jump between artistic mediums? I'd say nah.

That being said, ATLUS also released Nocturne, and that game's use of its in-engine cutscenes allowed for amazing 3D pans and haunting cel-shaded lighting in its cinematography, so the company clearly doesn't need traditional animation to make its games look good.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Oh poo poo, those were in-engine! Yeah, those look loving great!

And way more in-line aesthetically with the rest of the game. Man, like 90% of anything animated Persona touches just kind of fuckin sucks, doesn't it

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah, that's a good point: Ann's little arc seemed to be more about the acknowledgement of her own privilege. Haru's arc so far seems to be more about growing a spine and learning to assert one's own desires and individuality

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

kw0134 posted:

Haru's wealth and resources are absolutely front and center of her story but it's not about being spoiled because while she benefits from it -- renting out Disneyland, buying $50 cups of coffee on a whim -- it's also burdensome to her. She's not pining to be poor or something, but she feels the need to be responsible with the company and those who work in it in a way that is in direct opposition to how her father ran it. She is acutely aware of her privilege and wants to be active in using to advance her beliefs when up till now she's been very passive about letting that wealth control her. All the kids in #millennials were pawns and part of their individual stories is how they stop being mere observers of their own lives.

I like this take a lot

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Turning down Haru is actually the harshest friendzoning I've seen in a video game. Like drat man that poor girl.

Haru owns though. She'd totally be down for Maaku to become a little hipster mini-Sojiro and just bum around a coffee shop that she owns. In fact, that might be optimal for her.

I agree all the pre-evolved personas are leagues above the evolved ones, but I also agree that Astarte is a straight up 60s heavy-psych album cover and peak Haru.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

When you think about it Zeus was essentially Kamoshida with shapeshifting

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

The Mice are both the absolute worst and easily my favorite dungeon gimmick in the game. Your team members exhibit so much character in mouse form, from the dialogue, to how each character's posture differs from each other. I think it's really cool to see characterization exhibited more naturally through/with general gameplay mechanics. It's like an ironically more environmental form of Mementos Conversations.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

I'm not trying to drag Ann, but Mika would've known this was a honeypot operation from day one.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Grapplejack posted:

Honestly the only good part of that scene is Haru being sad that she's being called a commoner.

The fact that Haru clearly appreciates her privilege adds a really nice and humanizing aspect to her character

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

mastersord posted:

I still believe Yusuke's thing about having Ann Pose nude, was about humiliation as opposed to sex. He never shows even the slightest interest in any women in the story after that. He seems almost asexual if anything, but it may also be that he isn't written to act on those impulses.

On a character level I agree with you but on a meta-level I think there was definitely a sexual-connotation to the intended humor

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Mementos conversations alone should avert this entire problem but the design for Mementos is so unproductive and the clips are so easily/often skipped that they're kind of useless.

It's surprising to see how important incidental dialogue can be in the long run.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Gimme that Last Surprise Smash version please and thank you

Yo is he gonna have his own stage? Are we 4 stocking motherfuckers in the Metaverse?

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Beekeeping and You posted:

Persona's treatment of LGBT issues is for sure a real real loving low point.

I'm still supremely loving angry you can't date Kanji

I'm okay with Kanji going through the sexual-spectrum ringer and being your ambiguously pan-sexual younger brother, because being THE PATERNAL BEING is p4's main *thing* imo

Now Yosuke...that heteronormativity is a straight up crime. Atlus, let me hold hands with the city slicker please, thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

cdyoung posted:

And yet. In Persona 2: Innocent Sin (original and re-release), Tatsuya can enter into an openly gay relationship with Jun.
They changed crews hella, between the P2's and P3, right? Like, they barely use the old cast at all out of respect for that or something? I think it's fair to say that the character depth was more thought out across the board in the second game then the future games, though specific characters throughout the series hit hard.

Grapplejack posted:

Again, Yosuke is hyper-gay and insanely closeted. I will defend this reading of him until I die.
Yes yes yes