Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Drakhoran posted:

In unrelated news. Here is a picture of two Asrock X399 boards. Looks like the official name for the Threadripper socket will be TR4.

AMD's parallel naming is getting pretty goofy, Intel has socket R4 on chipset X299 and AMD has socket TR4 on chipset X399.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Fauxtool posted:

jayz did make a video. Its not as good as full copper (obviously) but still puts up solid watercooling specs. The value is really high, but does anyone else make aluminum blocks if you wanted to expand the loop?

Thermaltake basically exclusively makes aluminium WC parts. It pains me whenever I walk into my local computer store and they have EK loops with Thermaltake aluminium radtiaors that I just know are going to be completely destroyed by galvanic corrosion.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Kazinsal posted:

My dream is for them to get Zen on a process that does 4.5-4.8 GHz depending on lottery, and then do 8 core chips with 16 GB of HBM on die. Infinity Fabric at HBM grade speeds? Yes please.

That is entirely a lofty dream though. My hopes are that Zen+ will be able to reliably hit 4.2 GHz with some extra volts and do 3200+ MHz DDR4 without a hitch. The difference in CPU performance on current Zen between 2400 MHz and 3200 MHz is absolutely astounding.

HBM is super high bus width super low clock, it's even further away from viable CPU use than GDDR which is another order of magnitude from DDR4.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Maxwell Adams posted:

Is there even a watercooling block on the market that could bolt onto that socket and actually cover the whole chip?

Not currently on the market, but EK say they have a range ready to launch when TR does.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Scarecow posted:

Isnt the only thing holding ryzen back atm is the higher clock speed advantage intel has? So moving to a production that would match clocks with intel would force intel to price match?

Memory compatibility >3000MT/s (not really relevant in the server/datacenter space), 6-7%~ IPC, and dreadful AVX performance off the top of my head. Of those I think AVX is probably the most important in the high margin markets alongside clock speed.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

I still don't understand why they don't offer a 'overclocker's edition' that has the old school shim+bare die.

I've found out recently that you can buy shims for modern Intel processors on Alibaba and I'm seriously resisting grabbing one and trying bare die for the novelty.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

eames posted:

Be aware that you'll have to modify your cooler quite a bit if you want to run direct Die cooling with a shim. The part of the socket that houses the lever will be higher than the Die itself so the base plate of the cooler will interfere.

The one I am looking at is a total replacement for the socket retention bracket.

It used to be a MSI thing but once they stopped including them the OEM continued selling them under their own banner (here). There are two different ones for 3-5 series and 6-8 series because of the substrate changes.

I'm using a EK Supremacy waterblock so all I'd need is the replacement screws that go lower (Naked Ivy) and a local computer place has em for six bucks.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

SwissCM posted:

Two of the four dies are shims, which I assume to be inoperable cores. Has anyone checked to see if that's actually the case?

AMD said blank silicon, but I believe someone tore one apart and found them to be complete but non-operable Zeppelin dies.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

HamHawkes posted:

Ehh that's a notebook.

Do you think notebooks are an insignificant portion of the market?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Do gigabyte make anything compelling enough that it's worth the effort?

The Z370 Gaming 7 is fantastic, it regularly drops to under $200 and it's a great deal even at MSRP. It's probably the nicest Z370 overall.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Is there any chance of getting X470 boards with thunderbolt support? It's basically the only thing stopping me from getting a 2700x, and I know X399 boards have thunderbolt so it's not impossible on the AMD side.

The final comparison I'd love to see is the highest end, 8700K@5.2 with 4000MHz+ RAM vs 2700x@4.4GHz with 3600MHz+ (whatever the max that is 24/7 possible) in CPU bound scenarios like open world games and huge WoW instances.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Silicone Lottery posted their numbers for the 8086K today. Almost 100% hit 5.1GHz all core, 60/40 shot for 5.2GHz, 15/85 for 5.3GHz. (iirc off the top of my head)

It's a measurable difference, but YMMV on whether those extra couple hundred MHz are worth the extra hundred bucks.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Am I an idiot if I plan on getting the 9900K preferably binned and run it at like 5.2 on a fuckoff expensive board with fuckoff expensive RAM. I've already got an overkill custom loop for cooling, and I just want the best gaming performance. It seems nothing else on the market will challenge that in the areas of single threaded esport games and also online CPU killers simultaneously.

AMD is going to come a lot closer with performance ~gaming~ next year, are there signs that they will actually take the top end (5GHz+ CPU 4000+ men)?

I do also do nerdy physics poo poo but we have a uni supercomputer for that, never on my personal computer.

E: I also do not care for ethics in game processors

BurritoJustice fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jul 26, 2018

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

If you're gaming at 1080p and want to try and max out your 240hz monitor I can see that making some sense because then yes that sort of a set up might actually give you enough fps to really matter towards that goal.

BUT if you game at 1440p and/or are "only" shooting for maxing a 120/144hz monitor I don't see how that would make sense really because at that point the difference in performance between current Intel and AMD CPU's is going to be minimal almost no matter what you do.

IMO saving your money for the NV 1180, or whatever they call it, seems way more sensible AND practical if your goal is max fps this year.

Maybe by mid next year that'll change but it sounds like you might not be able to hold out until then. And yeah if the performance rumors are spot on then AMD could definitely meet or beat even top end OC'd Intel next year with Zen2 for gaming. Even then GPU will probably still matter a whole lot more.

I'm currently only ever CPU bottlenecked (2600 non-k with 4x4GB 1600c8 memory) in absolutely everything. So the plan is get the best CPU upgrade currently possible and ride that out. GPU upgrade will come after, probably when the mid generation 1180ti or equivalent comes out. It seems like a short wait for the intel option, and my money is worth the year(?) it will take AMD to catch up.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Broose posted:

Thread count so high you could use it as a thrifty blanket.

How do video games play with THREADRIPPER's? Is a normal processor of similar GHz better due to whatever reason involving the multichip set-up? I wish I had a reason to actually entertain the thought of getting a THREADRIPPER. But all I do is play video games, I don't even stream or do anything creative.

Threadripper natively is worse than mainstream Ryzen in games, they have a "games mode" that basically halves the processor to keep it to one die and not demolish gaming performance.

If you want gaming performance and don't mind dealing with the devil, wait and get a i9-9900K.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

A12x25 is an unashamed Gentle Typhoon clone, so you can save ten bucks each and get GTs for near identical performance.

Noctua themselves only quote a difference of .2-.3c noise matched, which is probably entirely the bearings.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Steve said in a recent video that he spends almost 100% of his spare time mountain biking so I can't wait for him to tear that garbage apart in his review.

On topic, I really goddamn want a 5950x to replace my 5.1 9900k but I know my resell value must be in the shitter now

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Multiple 1x slots are also more useful in a lot of cases than an extra 4x, especially on cheaper boards. My current board was extremely expensive and I don't need extra add in cards, but for the five years before that I had three separate 1x cards for extra networking and high speed USB

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

From what I've seen, AMD wins heavily in some games like CSGO but they are slightly behind in the majority of games versus a 9900KS or 10900K enough that they're on par on average. TPU has the 9900KS/10900K at 1-3% above the 5950x at all resolutions.

I was expecting more of an gaming slam dunk. I mean, Ryzen 5000 is still an absolute slam dunk but the gaming is still persplexing. I guess the inconsistency latency and ram speed is still relevant.

I've been doing enough compiling/compression work lately that I'm actually maxing out my 9900K at 5.1, I'd loving love a 5950X but a platform change isn't viable for me.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Kaddish posted:

It’s a slam dunk for AMD no question in gaming and productivity.

I guess I framed it poorly. I expected AMD to take the overall gaming crown, and they have in some games but on average they are still at or below current top Intel. I'm jealous of everything else but it wouldn't be a significant gaming upgrade like I expected with the jumps in other areas.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

SourKraut posted:

What, you don't have a dedicated 50A/220V outlet that you hardwire your PC into? Amateur.

I've got a 415v/32A three phase outlet in my basement as this house used to have an elevator and I'm imagining a three phase PSU to run a 7way setup

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

GRECOROMANGRABASS posted:

I don't want to derail thread, but could you tell us more about this? Like, how many stories is your house? What is in the space where the elevator used to be? Did you find this by accident? I don't know why, but I fuckin' LOVE stories of homeowners finding poo poo they didn't know their house had behind like, a layer of drywall.

Only two storeys. The previous owner lived here for a few decades before he passed, we purchased it from his daughter. At some point it was removed when that part of the house was renovated. There is now an empty rectangle of space in the middle of the stairwell, the stairs go around the elevator column that no longer exists. I don't know why it was removed, could've been regulatory compliance for sale or due to maintenance costs

The elevator allowed you to go through the garage which is level and get to the first floor.

We had no idea before purchasing it and only noticed the power line under the house after a year or so. The previous owner had some large machine tools (now removed), so it was also run to a janky workshop area literally dug into the ground under half the house (it's on a slope) and we found it in there.

I don't pay to have it connected to it's just a random novelty. I'd imagine it was expensive to install.

BurritoJustice fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Mar 4, 2021

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

Only 6 memory channels. The article suggests this would limited you to 75% of the expected bandwidth, but it's actually far lower since 6 DIMMs in an unbalanced configuration. Something to keep in mind if you had a memory intensive application planned.

What does unbalanced mean in this context?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Jim Keller is such an interesting figure to me. A relatively low profile engineer that just bounces around the best tech companies in the world on a whim, distributing groundbreaking architectures whever he goes. He should be more famous than his grifter hack of a brother in law.

Is there a good write-up on his career anywhere? I'd love to see how influencial he really was in each position.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

LRADIKAL posted:

OK, what's the best thermal paste?

Thermal grizzly kryonaut extreme. At 14.2 W/mK it's over fifty percent more conductive than most other high performance pastes on the market (8-9 W/mK). You can actually see 2-6c improvements over other stuff.

If you want to go crazy there is always liquid metal too, lol.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

NewFatMike posted:

I've just discovered Moore's Law is Dead, are they a pretty good channel or batty like Adored?

They seem to get pretty good interviews at least.

Oh hey, haven't heard about Adored in a while. Wonder what he's up to.

:doh:

:magemage:

BurritoJustice fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jun 25, 2021

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

NewFatMike posted:

That's extremely more whacko than I ever imagined

Quoting your own pseudo intellectual euphoric nonsense is hilarious, especially when it's the first time you've even said it - burrito justice c2021

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

mdxi posted:

If you're looking for world famous non-stop-wrong Ryzen hypebeast Adored, then the channel you're looking for is "AdoredTV": https://www.youtube.com/user/adoredtv

Not much has changed over there.

Edit: except the view count, which has dropped from about a half-mil per video to about 5k

I know, he spun off "freethinkers" for six months or so and came back probably after people realised he's a weirdo when not contained to AMD sycophantism. The first photo I posted was his video announcing the change.

Someone called Alex was doing videos in the meantime, apparently they bought the rights to the channel and website. Don't know why you'd want to be saddled by that though.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

The 4x 3.0 lanes are actually originally from the SSD slot on the XSX/PS5 (whichever it is), that they've had to repurpose for graphics as the iGPU is disabled.

Weird board that could've been a bit of a budget winner with a few minor changes.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

AutismVaccine posted:

More like GARBAGE ARMOR
Plus all the loving fans are exactly covered by the new 3slot wide GPUs. I looked at all available Mobos (Jan2021), the MSI tomahawk had the best fan placement, it was like only 50% obstructed :v:. You cant even easily mod it with a better (wider) fan, cause there is just no space.

--> The whole fan fiasko is used to help selling 500$ Mobos with no fans. Or pure trolling.

Or, it's a first generation PCIe 4.0 chipset with a 15w TDP that either requires active cooling or a larger passive heatsink (Aorus Xtreme). The X570s refresh is legit efficiency improvements to lower the cooling budget of the chipset.

Just watercool it bro :v:

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

Well, the HEDT CPUs are coming, too. Let's see how expensive they'll be. Probably O_o levels. Too bad the rumored 16-core TR isn't a thing.

They might make lower core count TR Pro CPUs. The buyers looking for small threadripper chips are likely in it for the memory bandwidth and PCIe so it makes more sense for the Pros. It's like the current TR Pro 12 core SKU

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

CoolCab posted:

oh, lol, that very same aforementioned guy who bought the wrong kind of SSD (and had to sell it at a loss because he lost his receipt) also an unrelated time walked into some retail place and bought high end 7200RPM drives for his NAS, then lost the receipt. maybe he was a special case.

My friend who unironically bought an 11900K also bought two SATA QLC SSDs (Samsung QVO) to run in RAID0, with no m.2

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Both Ryzen bugs in Windows 11 are fixed as of yesterday, the L3 cache and preferred core. There was a window patch and a chipset driver update. W11 performs just as well as W10 for Ryzen now.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Does this apply to memory as well? Using XMP profiles, not necessarily custom OCing.

XMP is interesting because the overvoltage isn't where you might think. Most ram can actually take super high vDIMM, especially if it's the Bdie or DJR that has xmp profiles at 1.45-1.5v. Increasing your vDIMM isn't going to harm your CPU, as those high voltages aren't actually touching CPU silicon. The exception to this is past 1.65v vDIMM where the ratio of it that the CPU gets hits Intel spec, but you're very unlikely to be going that high on a daily overclock.

The issue is with VCCSA/VCCIO voltages, which are needed to be increased to run higher ram speeds and tighter voltages. These are actually on the CPU and cause degradation at very high values. Because these are usually at "AUTO" in the BIOS and no-one checks after boot, motherboard makers will juice them like crazy when you turn on XMP to absolutely ensure its stable. For example, on my board, XMP 4000 sets both VCCSA/VCCIO to 1.36+ which is super high. So if you have a high end kit of memory and enable XMP you want to manually set those values to sensible amounts.

I personally run 3900c14 with insanely tightened subtimings, which requires 1.52v vDIMM, 1.2v VCCIO, 1.3v VCCSA. Despite being way faster, this is a safer overrall voltage setup than the default XMP 4000c17 1.35v vDIMM 1.36v/1.40v VCCIO/VCCSA. Plus I'm looking at 34.5ns vs 52ns memory latency.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

mdxi posted:

Confirmation from a Linux kernel patch that 12 CCD CPUs are on the way:

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=AMD-Zen-12-CCDs-hwmon

Makes sense, should be 96 core Genoa

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Imagine going back to 2018 and saying AMD has the fastest gaming CPU but it sacrifices cores and application performance compared to similarly priced Intel options. Topsy turvy.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

If you have virtualisation enabled in your BIOS and do a clean install of W11, it's very likely you'll have VBS and HVCI enabled so make sure to disable them. Easiest is through group policy, should be under Admin Templates > System > Credential guard > Enable virtualisation based security. The performance loss on older CPUs can be pretty massive.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Zen 3 CPUs aren't worth overclocking, that's for sure. Their precision boost algorithm does the job for you, and PBO will also likely be a thing still (which is just PB but with power limits increased/removed). And that's assuming that this isn't a big misunderstanding somehow.

edit: by "does the job for you" I don't mean it overclocks for you, but gets the most out of the chip for you. Pushing the clocks via traditional overclocking is extremely expensive thermally, and you're better off trying to push all-core clocks up by using the curve optimizer and PBO.

Raichu, the same leaker, just responded that PBO and basically all other controls are also disabled for the 5800X3D.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

If the rumors are true, it feels like Broadwell all over again.

Broadwell wasn't a slouch compared to Skylake, but the optimization crew at Intel knew how to keep iterating on Skylake, while the Broadwell experiment went back to collect dust on the shelf.

With Zen 4 already in production, why continue to bother innovating with a Hail Mary one-off design when tons of people will buy the normal thing that just works, anyways?

I personally know two people that put off upgrading to 12th gen to say "I'm waiting to see Zen3D". It's a powerful thing to have "the best gaming CPU" looming on the horizon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Does DRAM tuning get anything from a voltage bump on Ryzen CPUs, like it does for Intel chipsets for VCCSA and VCCIO? I guess this is kind of an overclocking thread question. I just want to know if locked CPU voltage affects anything about tuning DRAM since the upcoming Ryzen will be my first one

Yeah, Ryzen needs higher IMC and agent voltages for higher ram clocks, especially if you're going for 1:1 with the Infinity fabric at 3800+.

I'd be surprised if they lock out those voltages too, but yeah you'd have issues with going above 3200 if you're hard locked at stock for every voltage.