Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

Alchenar posted:

We're at the stage where everyone who bought AM5 is starting to complain about the regular crashes, so one more reason to wait a little and let the bios versions mature a bit.

What's this now? I got a 7700x with an Aorus B board, friend has the same, though the got the X version of the board. Not a single crash at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

B-Mac posted:

Finally got my 7700X and 4090 build together, went with the MSI 650M Mortar Wi-Fi and some ddr5 6000 CL32. Been playing with the negative curve optimizer and PPT a bit.

Also noticed my 4090 was scoring near the bottom of every synthetic benchmark, usually 20-30 percent slower. Finally figure out with GPU-Z that it was stuck at PCIE 16x1.1 and nothing I did in windows or the bios fixed. Thankfully MSI posted a new bios in the last couple of days and updating to that fixed the issue, scores seem to be normal for a stock card now. So definitely some teething issues to be worked out.

Oh and boot times are definitely longer than previous builds. There’s about 15 seconds of black screen but once the Msi logo appears it gets into windows quickly. Also the iGPU crashes when trying to watch twitch with hardware acceleration is on thigh YouTube was fine.

A lot of motherboards were having issues with 4090's and have been rolling out BIOS updates to fix that.

The boot time being longer I suspect will go away with more BIOS updates. My guess is it is re-training on the memory on each boot.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

Twerk from Home posted:

Isn't this part of why Intel stopped including box coolers on the more expensive parts? The cooler was a significant fraction of the total cost.

I'd wager it's more that the stock cooler can't keep them cool. The handwave PR answer was "to save you money".

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

homeless posted:

I did this exact upgrade 2 weeks ago, echoing others that it's a very noticeable upgrade for gaming.

The thermals on this thing are MUCH warmer than my 2600x. Still deciding if my carryover Arctic 34 duo is going to be a permanent solution for cooling, might try undervolting before looking at AIOs.

A quick bit of googling says the 5800x3D has a peak draw of 105 watts, and the cooler you have can handle 210 watts. So that cooler should be able to handle that chip no issues.

How much warmer? Are you maxing it out with light gaming? What's the temp at idle?

It could be your case too, as CaptainSarcastic ran into.

I'd first check and see if it is mounted well, and probably do a re-paste. If you do, take a look at the pattern of the paste on the CPU. Any high or low spots? Not evenly spread. It could be a slightly off mount, bad paste application, bad paste itself. A drop of thermal paste and a few minutes to re-mount the cooler is a lot cheaper than a new cooler.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The 5800X3D runs warmer than any other AM4 CPU due to the 3D v-cache obstructing thermal transfer from the cores to the IHS. It is not unexpected to see an increase to your operating temperatures after an upgrade if you're not also upgrading the cooler.

Also, cooler ratings are often BS. There's no way an Arctic 34 Duo would do well with 210W. I would expect thermal throttling with that kind of CPU, depending on the type of load.

Yeah, forgot to mention that the 3D version will run hotter than the non. It was that they said it was running much warmer, hence the covering the bases.

I will agree a bit on the rating. If it is some no-name cooler and they are spouting a number, I'd be hesitant. But Arctic has made a pretty good name for itself, and if they say it will handle 210 watts with a single tower heat pipe setup, I'd be inclined to agree with that. But the 5800x3D is half what the cooler "can" handle, hence the wondering of the said bases.

E - For some reason I thought the Duo was dual tower, not dual fan. Oops.

Koskun fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Nov 9, 2022

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

Toalpaz posted:

Hey, I wanna upgrade the 1800x to an okay midrange CPU. Is 7600x worth the 50% price increase over a sale 5600x?

A quick search has the 5600x at about $210-230, where the 7600x is $240 on Amazon right now (US prices).

IF you have easy-ish access to a MicroCenter, they have the 7600X with a single stick of 16gb DDR5 for 250, and a hundred more gets you the 7700x with 32gb (2 sticks).

As noted, you will have to get a new motherboard, and a quick look at Newegg has the cheapest one at $160.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

Rinkles posted:

My brother’s 2600x is hitting 90C in some situations, so I’m gonna help him improve airflow or probably eventually get a proper cooler.

But that’s still below tjmax (95C). Will it throttle before it reaches that point, or only if it gets there?

If your brother got that CPU around release, that is now 5 years old. First thing I'd do would be a re-paste. If you want to "splurge" pick up some Kryonaut and it would help. Can also get something like a Ventoo cooler. I had one of those with just Artic Silver on a 1600 and my temps dropped about 10c.

As Klyith alluded to, you would have to run something like Hardware Monitor and a CPU Benchmark program and watch the clocks as the CPU is put under load to see if it is throttling. Would take maybe an hour at most to get a baseline.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

Rexxed posted:

The first gen ryzens aren't included in Windows 11 support because windows 11 support is arbitrary.

I had a 1600 before I upgraded to a 7700x, and it took Win11 just fine. That motherboard, an Asus something, received a BIOS update a day or two before Win 11 launched specifically to support it.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

ChickenWing posted:

I'd read that there were hardware instructions that had to be done at a software level if you had one of those gen chips (I can't remember the exact nomenclature but it had something to do with security) which is why gen 1 ryzens weren't "officially" supported - they work, but their performance was garbage. Did I misinterpret or was that a weird edge case that's unlikely to come up.

The Asus something board I mentioned is a Prime B-350 Plus. It was a first gen. board. One of those to where if I wanted to upgrade to a 3rd gen. Ryzen it was a one-way trip with the BIOS update, and even then it was hit or miss.

I had no issues at all with Win 11 on a 1600. Main reason I upgraded as I did was that Asus board sucked with the memory timings. I never could get XMP to run stable.

For those that have access to a Micro Center, they have a bundle that includes a 7900x, Asus motherboard, and 32 gig DDR5-6000 for $600, or drop it down to a 7700x for $500 (MSI motherboard on this one). These are in-store only is the major downside.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

Are we expecting any new AM5 boards before the 7800X3D rolls out, or is it still the introductory crop? All the chipset names blur together in my brain so I can never keep track.

Have a case on the way, need motherboard and cooler and RAM and I'm all ready for that sexy, cachey baby.

One additional thing to keep an eye out for is the clearance from the top of the motherboard to the top of the case if you are wanting to run top fans and/or a top radiator.

The heatsinks on all the AM5 boards I've seen are huge. So much so that I could barely fit a top fan in the rear most location with my old case. A friend of mine couldn't at all, had to use the middle location only, which also ruled out putting his AIO on the top.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

What the Christ? How am I supposed to figure that out before buying it?
If you want, you can leave it to luck as said. Or really take a look at the case.

I'd start by eyeballing the distance between the top motherboard mounts and top of the case. The larger that space the better. However this will rely on luck, in that are there any good pictures that show this available?

And when I said the heatsinks are huge, they are easily as tall as the IO on the back (my board had a built-in IO Shield, so it was all just one large chunk).

My friends case was a rather old Lain-Li something, and the top fan/radiator mount was a single channel, no side to side adjustment. My previous case was this Corsair one. No complaints about it, other than the top back fan was literally pushing against the heatsink. I'm on an open frame setup, so no worry about clearance to anything now.

I suspect it's how future motherboards, for both AMD and Intel are going to be from here on out. It might take a bit before cases are adjusted just a touch taller to accommodate this en masse.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

Duuk posted:

HWMonitor is showing me Package temps of max 95.8°C, CCD#0 97° and max for the cores at 89.3°. Tested with BeamNG windowed so I could keep an eye on HWM. Generally Package lingered below 80, but peaked when loading in new vehicles.
Seems a bit high, it the CPU starts throttling at 95?
Ryzen 5 7600 with stock fan and 3060.

The Corsair 110R case has one sad little fan, so that seems like the obvious first thing to remedy. Any other ideas?

I'd at the least put a fan on the top as well. That way you should have 2 front as intake It doesn't look like it came with any front fans?? I'd get two 140mm for the front and one more for the top. That way you will have two intake and two exhaust, with the rear sucking the heat right out of the heatsink tower. It's a bit constricted in the front due to the solid face, but with the fans mounted inside the case itself, those side vents shouldn't restrict too much.

For a cooler, this Thermalright dual tower would easily tame the thing, and give you headroom to upgrade as it's rated for up to 265 watts. It keeps my 7700X well under control.

You may also get a bit of a boost by going with some good thermal paste, something like Thermal Grizzly. Not necessary, but I wouldn't really want to use the paste that comes with the cooler. I still have a tube of Artic Silver that I used with my cooler.

Koskun fucked around with this message at 23:25 on May 2, 2023

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

Twerk from Home posted:

I'm way late with this question, but can I get some guidance on acceptable Zen 3 temperatures? Is 85C fine? I'm not seeing any throttling, it maintains the 4.45 GHz boost speeds at those temps.

I did a dirt cheap bargain bin build late last year, with a $130 5600G in a 2L Asrock Deskmini X300 case. Here's the kicker: The stock lovely 5600G cooler is too big for the X300 case, so I'm using the cooler that came with the X300, that looks like something out of 1998. I'm running Ubuntu 22.04 on it, and I recall that there may be some positive offset in the numbers reported to lm-sensors and the BIOS, to help get bad fan curves up to speed faster. I'm pretty sure that it must be actual numbers though, because I'm seeing idle temperatures get drat near room temperature, mid 20s and low 30s C. My load temps are 75-85C, where the fan spins up to 100% finally and catches up. I'm looking specifically at "Tctl" temperature.

I have PBO disabled, because when I first used it with PBO default on it was kicking itself up to 85C all the time. I've tried to reduce the PPT to 45W to further reduce temps and noise, but I've seen some users reporting that setting PPT Is broken on this Asrock X300 board, and I don't have a great way to check it from Ubuntu without installing kernel extensions.

Anyway, I'm only asking because I've found myself using this machine differently than I expected, and it's spending a lot of time at 85C. Fine and dandy for a 5600G, or is it time to think about a more aggressive fan curve or finding some way to lower PPT from within the OS?

The 5600G isn't hitting it's Tjmax, which is 95c, so you do have some headroom and the cooler the system came with is doing it's job.

That said, there are a few things you could try. The Noctua NH-L9i is a low profile cooler that gets great reviews across the board. Combine that with a good thermal paste (like Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut) could drop your temps down 5-10c .

I found a video of the Deskmini X300. It's just this side of a NUC isn't it? Worse case you could try a small desk fan blowing at the side of the computer to add some air-flow, since it looks like the only fan in the thing is on the CPU Cooler.

You might want to try and adjust the fan hysteresis a bit, make the fan ramp up a bit faster to adjust to the temperature swings (should be a setting in the BIOS or even ASRock's software). With the stock fan you will probably get some more noise, with the Noctua you might not even notice.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

I did try messing fan with the fan curves in my Asus bios but the fundamental issue is that, to avoid the fan spin up, I have to have them running at a higher RPM all the time which I'd like to avoid.
Are these the fans that came with the cooler and/or case? If so, the vast majority of the time they are the cheapest things they can ship. Only a few brands will ship actual good fans with their cases, and a few more with their coolers. Something like Ventoo coolers, the fans are there because they work, not much else. Noctua though, they work and are quiet.

Something with high airflow/static pressure, but low noise is what you would be looking for. While there are a few brands out there that can fit the bill, I'd go with Noctua without a second thought, other than they are "pricey".

In BIOS news. The latest from Gigabyte has AGESA 1.0.0.7 A, and EXPO worked without a hitch. That latest version is to "Addresses Download Assistant Vulnerabilities Reported by Eclypsium Research", aka "we need to cover our asses", but hey, it's giving me working Expo, which I haven't had since BIOS version F2 or 3 I think it was (current is F6B).

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

Yeah I have the stock fans with my Thermalright Peerless Assassin as well as the 2 stock intake on my Fractal North. I thought those fans are supposed to be pretty okay though?

They do what they need to do, which is move air. How well, how quiet, that isn't much of a concern.

As an example. The Noctua NF-S12B (their black version) lists the dBA at 18.1, where Thermaltake's Toughfan 12 Turbo says theirs are 28.1. For reference, normal conversation is about 50 to 60 dBA. Now these noise level measurements can be taken with a bit of a grain of salt. Are they measuring them while on a table top with no restrictions, in a case, on a heatsink/radiator. There's a bunch of different circumstances that will effect noise of a fan.

But Noctua make some of the quietest fans on the market, it's kind of what they are really known for (and their brown on brown color till recently).

Your case is all mesh on the front, back, and side. Not that surprising you can hear the fans spinning up. I switched to an open bench style, and while I do sometimes hear my fans spin (I only have fans on the cpu cooler and GPU now), it's only under serious load, and with my headset on I don't notice it at all from less than 5' away.

I happen to have the same CPU cooler too, but I added a third fan just because.

One additional thing. I would get a fan and add it as an exhaust at the top of your case. Right now with only two fans as intake, all that heat is building up inside the case and only getting out from positive pressure and convection. Adding a single fan to the top will help get that settled heat out, and would probably help maintain/lower the temps in the case a bit.

Virtually everything in a computer makes heat, and modern systems are making a lot of it. 300-400 watts is about 1/10 of a small space heater.

Koskun fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jun 8, 2023

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
As I recall, the main issue with AMD's 7000 series and cooling is the location of the two main chips isn't center of the die (in addition to the heat spreader being thicker), but on the "bottom" of it. Noctua and I think one other major heatsink maker have made an adapter to nudge the cooler down just a bit so more surface area is above the hot spot.

When I upgraded to a 7700x I had the cheap Ventoo cooler on my 1600. Once I looked up the max wattage I went and got a Peerless Assassin before they doubled in price. If I put Cinebench or the like to it, it maxes and stays at that, but in every day use (game, browser, disc, few other programs open) it sits comfortably in the 50's at worse (75-80f room, with AC though, so).

Koskun fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Aug 4, 2023

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

buglord posted:

Thanks for the advice everyone. I’m away from the PC right now, but when I get back I’ll revert voltages to stock.

Something I’m having trouble wrapping my mind around are fan curves, and like the rest of the platform BIOS levers I’m probably conceptually misunderstanding them. Call me out if I have the wrong idea here.

A CPU cooler without a fan can do its job up until it gets saturated with heat, so if the heat source keeps dumping more heat it just gets hotter and hotter, right? Putting a fan on the fin stack removes heat and allows the metal to cool down when the processor load isn’t as high. So the higher the fan speed, the more you’re removing heat from the fin stack, so you get cooler temps. But if you start lowering the curve too much, would you get runaway temperatures because the CPU can never get itself to cool? Does the CPU just keep climbing until it hits a thermal limit then throttles back down? So at some point you’re actually hurting performance by having the fans too low?

Sorry for all the rambling Q’s I’m trying to wrap my head around this. I’ve had setups in the past where noise wasn’t a concern so I made my CPU fan curves run more aggressively so there wasn’t a downside to worry about. So coming at this from another angle is new and scary.

As Kibner said, to really push the CPU to max temp (it won't melt or damage it), use Cinebench. Run with the fan/fans at 100%, then 75%, then 50%. Watch the temps and see if there is a big difference.

It will also depend on the cooler you have. Make sure it is rated for the CPU. The 7800x3D has a TDP of 120 watts. Also they do tend to run just a touch hotter than their non-3D version due to that extra cache. Check the max wattage your CPU Cooler supports. If you have something that is rated right at 120 watts, then the fans would have to run more often and faster to evacuate the heat, where if you have a cooler rated for say 220 watts, there is more thermal mass, so the heat can be dissipated "easier". This would be an example of a single tower cooler vs. a dual tower cooler.

You might get a bit more noise reduction with a better fan. Some fans are just there to move air, that's it. Where some fans are made to be next to heat fins (whether those be a CPU Cooler or Radiator) and reduce the turbulence, thus reducing noise.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

I will have a spare Framework main board (albeit Intel 11th I think) once I get the new one, but the rest of the build is beyond me. Alas!

The maker of that does say they will be offering a kit for the conversion.

I wish they would opensource the plans though. Screen, battery, controllers, and speakers could be sourced rather easily. A case could be sourced or 3d printed. Since the framework setup is pretty much all-in-one, I'd guess the most work would be battery, video, and speaker connections and mounting. They said the controllers are bluetooth.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

Klyith posted:

Noctua has a similar thing but the only claim they make about it is that it stops thermal paste from dripping down into the underside of the IHS

Because I guess some people think that actually is a problem?

If one is using a thermal paste that is conductive, then I could see wanting a bit of protection to keep it from getting under the IHS.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I was down at Micro Center a few weeks ago, and they were selling the 5600x3d in a bundle. I remember every tech reviewer saying that if you wanted one get it quick as they would sell out within weeks.

Either they made way more than people thought, or they barely sold. I'd guess more of the latter given how few Micro Center stores there are, and they still won't ship you the chip.

Feels like AMD is looking through their stocks and trying to get some money back on all the stuff they have laying around. They might have also over-provisioned from TSMC and are trying to get something out of it in the end.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

Branch Nvidian posted:

Well the implication that tech reviewers seemed to get, which passed on to those of us who follow this stuff, was that there was a very limited stock and that was why Micro Center was the only retailer in the world selling them. But I think just how limited that supply was/is was misunderstood. Which also makes me think Micro Center is now sitting on a bunch of these parts, thus the aggressive bundle discounts they’re offering.

I understand spreading the rumor that there were a limited number of them. They wanted to drum up sales so they could make money. But the aggressive bundle I don't quite get on the side of. At launch of Ryzen 7000 they had a bundle with a 32 gig memory kit (you got the memory for a penny). A few months or so later they added a motherboard to the bundle, was about 200 bucks less at the low end than ordering everything individually.

I think Micro Center just has the volume now to do things like this, as they also run Intel bundles. Near identical bundles from Newegg are about $50 more as an example.

Though they seem to be getting very aggressive on getting your personal information. Went with a friend, he checked out before I did and they wanted his name, address, phone number, and email. I overheard the other checkouts, and they were all pushing to get that info. Yet the checkout guy told us that corporate stopped sending them plastic bags, so each store now had to buy their own bags (I thought it odd they were using paper bags), or you buy one of the reusable branded cloth ones. That might be a California thing though now that I think about it.

What was funny, after I refused to give him my info, he took the bag away and just put my stuff back into the cart.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

Kagrenak posted:

Microcenter is a weird place. Every time I go it's very disorienting between feeling like I stepped into a retail store from 1998 but somehow also the sales people there usually seem to know things and give a poo poo? Like every time I've been the staff is rattling off benchmarks with accuracy or extensively recounting rtings testing results when I was there for a specific monitor. At the one near me they've calmed down on the collecting info poo poo too, at least the two times I've gone this year.

To me the feel of the store varies with what building they took over. The one on the south end of Chicago had that late 90's store feel to it as you described. Everything was crammed in everywhere they could. It was in a strip mall that had, at most, 30-40% occupancy. Yet it wasn't a low rent area, as there was a main hub Mercedes dealership (complete with a secure storage parking structure) right next door, Jaguar, BMW and a few others all within a good golf swing of the place.

The one on the north end of Detroit is just a few blocks from I-75 and was almost airy. There was space, good showcases for the latest things. Yet the building was tucked away almost on a back-street from some big-name box stores.

I've heard the new one down in Indianapolis is nice, open, and fresh as well. Plus the showcase store they built in California, from the pictures and video's I've seen in there, is the same, though it is their main store so.

And yes, the sales people do really seem to know their department. They also get/work for commission, so it helps their paychecks to know what they are talking about.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

I guess my TUF X670-E is already unsupported, given the latest BIOS is still on AGESA 1.0.8.0, while those dumb ROG boards are on 1.1.0.1 already.

--edit: Also, something something LogoFAIL vulnerability. A new BIOS would be nice. You Asusholes.

I highly doubt it's already unsupported. More that it's Asus and they are taking their sweet time making sure the bios is working so it doesn't melt more chips because they rushed a bios version out.

I scanned their site a bit. Of the half a dozen random B650 boards I checked, they were all on 1.0.8.0 as the latest. Of the X670 line, the Proart, Strix, and Crosshair are on 1.1.0.1. Only the Tuf and Prime are still on the 1.0.8.0.

I'm on a Gigabyte B650 board and 1.1.0.1 was released for it only 4 days ago. I'm on 1.1.0.0, which you can't even get on Gigabytes site anymore, as it goes from 1.0.0.7 c to 1.1.0.1 now.

Give it a bit, I'd bet the latest will be available for your board.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I was surprised to see this does actually exist. I would of thought it would be a paper launch. Though I can only find one site in Europe that has any in stock. Seems the markup of it, and that you are required to have a motherboard that supports bifurcation, haven't really had it flying off the shelves.

What I would like to see tested is they added an m.2 slot to a video card, not for the system to use, but for the video card to. A TB or two of cache could be interesting if utilized right.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

Craptacular! posted:

I have a 3070ti but my FPS flying into Valdrakken is terrible and makes trying to get around the city's different levels (especially using the new flying physics) at times aggravating. Of course cities being a laggy mess isn't new to WoW but everyone I know with Intel or newer AMD architectures has FPS in the 50s while I average about 28. Searched posts around the WoW community and I've discovered that there's been a bunch of cranky 3700X users specifically about this issue, though I'm not sure if it doesn't affect all Zen2 chips (it's a rocky generation starting with that RNG bug at launch, specific Windows power profiles that were fixed in Zen3, etc). Some people claimed turning off SMT improved the situation a little bit.
I have a 6750XT, benchmark wise practically the same level of video performance. I am on a 7700X CPU though, and in Val I will get 50-60fps during busy hours. I was on a 3050 and would maybe get in the 30's. I went from a 1600 first gen Ryzen to the 7700X, so bit of an up there. It lasted a good long while though.

For storage, are you using an SSD or an NVME? I'm running WoW on a gen4 NVME, and let me tell you the difference to loading times is easily noticeable. I've been running Timewalking this week and there are very few times where I'm not the first one loaded into the dungeon and moving.

Big cities in WoW are just as much of a demand on storage as they are on the GPU and CPU. It is pulling up the data for every character and npc around you. That means the itemID's for all their armor and weapons, and then for players the transmog on top of that, plus the base character model and any customization's they have made. It's been something WoW has always struggled with as you mentioned, but can be overcome in part at least.

The X3D CPU's do help in WoW. All those spell and itemID's it can store in that 3d cache, and I've read from more than a few people that it does make a noticeable difference. Worth it over an non-X3d CPU? That is up to your bank account I'd say.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

Craptacular! posted:

My friend on a 5900X/3080, and a 3080 is a pretty significant jump in most games, and gets 50. He plays Cyberpunk tricked out and is happy, so I'm guessing it's not a video card thing, but WoW being an ancient game brought up to date over generations to be merely "old". All the usual caveats when Ryzen launched about IPC and gaming optimizations favoring Intel over the 2010s TickTockTockTockTockTock period.

As for storage, it's installed on a WD SN550, which was the "best" budget NVME in 2020 when I built this system to keep me busy during shutdowns.

Maybe I should just give up and get a 5600X3D and deal with negligible or even worse encode times, or suffer until the 5700X3D sells for $200. AMD has successfully backstopped the slide of prices with these new products, 5800X3D's were going for almost $260 at one point, I was waiting for a $250 Black Friday deal that never got below $280, and with the 5700X3D launching in that area they have sustained a $300 price tag yet again.

You are right, in that WoW is an ancient game, being 20 years old this year. However the engine is not. There have been multiple Dev interviews over the expansions where they have said that there is simply nothing left of the original engine anymore. It was during Cata development where they said only about 30% was left.

Personally I wouldn't really bother with an AM4 upgrade. Yes AMD is still putting out something for it, which is honestly surprising, but it's a pretty dead-end road now. It's looking like the (probably called) 9000 series will be out next year, with more X3D 7000 series due out this summer.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

Pablo Bluth posted:

Asus b350 plus

They list 5000 as compatible, maybe l'll pick up a 5800x. Or I wait and just replace the whole thing with the next v generation am5, rather than sinking more money in to an old platform.

I'm 99% sure that is the same as my old board. Make sure you update the bios FIRST. And as a note, do not panic if it won't boot with the 1700 in it. For the early 350 series boards, they cheaped out of the storage size of the firmware, and thus they only had enough room for some of the chips rather than the entire AM4 line. The BIOS update for the 3000 and 5000 series was a one-way ticket last I looked.

It's a fairly painless process, but I still hold my breath when updating the BIOS.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I thought the BIOS update for zen5 was due to the mobile chips just starting to hit the market?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

I think you're thinking of the recently released 8000 series APU's which are pretty much the same as the 7000 series APU's (so same Zen4 CPU cores, same RDNA3 iGPU) but now they have a "NPU" built in for AI acceleration.
Yup, that was the line I was thinking of.