Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
So far I'm really digging my 1700. Running it stable at 4Ghz just under 1.5v on water and barely touches 60c under load. Could probably tune the voltage down a bit but I just cranked the offset to +0.3 and let'er rip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

What speed memory? That's great temps.

A 3200 8x2 kit running at 2666. I've been meaning to see if I can get the memory to run higher with some timing tweaking.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
Welp. With the AGESA bios update I can no longer run my RAM at 2666 and had to bump it down to 2400. :confuoot:

Prescription Combs fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Apr 16, 2017

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Bareback Werewolf posted:

Those of you that bought ryzen, how long did it take you guys to get your AM4 upgrade bracket? I'll finally be getting the last of my components today, but thermaltake is giving me the run around. I'm impatient damnit. :argh:

I just got my EKWB adapter from Amazon instead.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

MrBadidea posted:

Asus Prime X370-Pro. I slammed the latest BIOS on it I could when I pieced everything together, and there's been nothing newer since. It definitely helped at least with the weird disks-not-being-detected thing; still happens, just nowhere near as often.

Running the 604 bios with the AGESA update?

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Bloody Antlers posted:

Has AMD signaled whether they plan on eventually providing current generation Ryzen-based products with support for faster than DDR4 3200 RAM via an AGESA update or motherboard chipset revision? Or is there a known limiting factor that definitely puts a ceiling on this generation at DDR4 3200, such as Infinity Fabric losing its poo poo if the CAS latency of the RAM is too high? I don't think DDR4 3200 is lacking or anything, it's just that after seeing the performance increases in benchmarks when going from DDR4 2800 to DDR4 3200, I can't help but wonder how Ryzen would do at even higher memory clocks.

Going up from CAS 14 to CAS 16 you can find kits of DDR4 3600 16-16-16-36 at the same voltage. Go from CAS 14 to 18, and you find DDR4 4000 18-19-19-39. The highest clocked DDR4 I see on newegg atm is DDR4 4400 CAS 19 timings 19-19-19-39.

I'm hoping the memory compatibility issues that we've seen patched in bios updates are just the result of AMD not having the time to roll out bios profiles for the variety of assorted DRAM chips on the market yet. If Ryzen can benefit from additional memory bandwidth at the expense of additional latency, well.. gently caress that would be sweet.

Recent bios updates got my non samsung b-die g.skill ram to run at 3200 w/out any issues.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
HP has their Raven Ridge Envy x360 up for ordering now. http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-envy-x360-convertible-laptop-15z-touch-1za07av-1

I assume these don't have any HBM and rely on system RAM for the GPU?

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Paul MaudDib posted:

The fact that it's touching 1080p 60fps at low in some things is actually what has me excited. 2700U is going to be cool. Not quite MX150 territory but it's also at a much lower TDP.

Weird about the latency thing. Any thoughts?

Audio processing in particular is known to be really latency-sensitive so that one's not surprising given the prior.

Willing to bet that it's simply a BIOS issue.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

repiv posted:

Here's the actual article where PCPer supposedly pin the blame on Freesync for those monitors ghosting issues: https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Displays/AMD-FreeSync-First-Impressions-and-Technical-Discussion/Gaming-Experience-FreeSync-

It's almost as if Adored is weaving a narrative out of thin air :thunk:

You're cherry picking worse than Adored.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

A SWEATY FATBEARD posted:

Another day, another Megaherz. :)

With almost every BIOS update I get to bump the RAM speed, which up until today I ran at 3200 but the latest update allows me to run it at 3333 MHz. Still not the full bottle yet, though I totally splurged out on this and went for 32 gigs of 3600 MHz sticks! :)

But does it actually run the os at that speed? :v:

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

A SWEATY FATBEARD posted:

You'd be surprised, but it does. :)

Nice! What board are you running? :downs:

Prescription Combs fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Jan 29, 2018

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
Anyone see that derbauer vid where he was measuring core voltages on Zen2? They idle at 0.2v. that's crazy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5pHUHGZ7hU

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
I would like to be able to purchase a 5600x or 5800x :(

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Fauxtool posted:

this 5800x has been up for almost 20m
https://www.antonline.com/AMD/Computers/Electronic_Components/Microprocessors/1411790

who knows if you will ever get it but you can try

:woop: Got an order in, thanks!

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Lycentia posted:

I got an antonline 5800X order in on Thursday and it showed up today. I validated the QR code on the security label in mild disbelief, but it checks out. Thanks for the link!

Heck you! Mine won't be here until Friday. :(

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
Finally got my 5800x from antONLINE and running in my x470 board. 4.85ghz boost out of the box :banjo:

Anyone know of any tweaking guides for 5k's? I WANT MORE

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Good stuff, thank you.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
I couldn't find the voltage offset stuff in my bios. I don't think Gigabyte have added it to x470 yet(X470 AORUS GAMING 7 WIFI bios F60c). Either way I'm very pleased with the 5800x so far.

The only description this bios has is "Enhance CPU compatibility" and was released Oct 29th. I think they just updated the AGESA to allow the new cpus to work.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

mdxi posted:

What wizardry is this? A just-released CPU, in stock, at MSRP?

The 5700G is available on Amazon, sold by Amazon, at :10bux: over MSRP, but the 5600G is only available from resellers starting at $50 over.

I didn't check Newegg because ugh, with their bundles and other bullshit.

https://www.amd.com/en/direct-buy/us

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

AMD's Robert Hallock and Frank Azor tried to heavily set expectations in the podcast/vid about the built in graphics of Mendocino in the other Videocardz article you posted a few pages back.

Here's the vid where they talk about it, the entire thing is pretty drat good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_s4w49nAgVs

tl;dr market saturation and providing a product that the market, not us nerds, want. Other APUs will have much more powerful integrated graphics.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Kazinsal posted:

I'm getting the feeling that "ASUS" is a killing word.

My computing experience has improved since I stopped buying ASUS products.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
Definitely cracked a core so bad on an Athlon XP that it shorted and left an etch of the writing on the giant copper slug heatsink I had.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
FWIW, use System Information Viewer FROM Gigabyte. You can adjust your BIOS fan curves from Windows with that program. Can save the profiles to an xml and re-apply them if you do a BIOS upgrade.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Ardryn posted:

System Information Viewer doesn't have AM5 support, at least it refused to install on my x670 aorus elite.

It most definitely does. Adjusted the fan curves on my B650 board. :shrug:

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Malloc Voidstar posted:

Backblaze provides reliability reports for the drives they use: https://www.backblaze.com/blog/backblaze-drive-stats-for-2022/

Would be nice to see the total number of each drive per manufacturer in that graph, too.

e: currently agonizing over which drives to get for a new NAS build. gently caress, it helps to actually click the link.

Prescription Combs fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Apr 23, 2023

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
AMD just quietly announces the Z1 processors... via marketing email?

Seems like a pretty drat cool release to be so quiet about. Not even seeing any big techtubers posting about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

wargames posted:

I can't get expo to be stable with gigabyte b650 so i am below jdec speeds.

https://valid.x86.fr/ba510z

Did you happen to check vsoc before/after the update? Pre update mine was solid at 1.245v and post update its still 1.245v. I'm only running 2 sticks of ram instead of 4 on my b650 board though.

https://valid.x86.fr/u0r4zz