Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
Yeah it's largely dependent on which Jason is in play and what your stats are. I saw a few games where hiding for half the match worked out really well when done from the very start. Your less experienced Jasons, and those who just aren't very thorough, often pass up hiding spots entirely either because they don't realize that's what they are or they just aren't thinking about it. I've also seen hiding work when Jason comes across a group of 3-4 counselors in one cabin and since he can only really chase one at a time, hiding from him can work temporarily while he goes after someone else.

It takes about 5 seconds for the attack animation on things like a closet hiding spot even if no one is in it. So as Jason, you lose time if you guess wrong, which discourages simply destroying every hiding place you see, especially late-game, since timing out is a victory for any counselor still alive. That and there's just so many potential hiding places. If a counselor with high stealth decides to hide somewhere for a long stretch of time and you weren't already on their trail, you're going to have a tough time finding them in the early-to-mid game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

MinibarMatchman posted:

each Jason skin has specific traits?

They all have the same skills but different ones have bonuses or handicaps to certain skills.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

MinibarMatchman posted:

I watched a gameplay video with the axe-wielding Jason who could not only run, but cause "VHS" glitches and teleport, so I assume that's his special quality

They can all do the teleport, its on a longer cooldown for some of them I believe.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Also, apparently each Jason will have their own chase music in-game! https://twitter.com/Friday13thGame/status/855095589016662019

This is great. I love that they got Manfredini back to score it.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

In theory, you could jump into a cabin this way, but in practice it happens and looks a lot different. It's not common that Jason will just "pop" in front of you using shift - it's mostly used for chasing or juking someone who's trying to clown around a car or fence.

It's also more difficult to control that it would seem, you'd have to be pretty slick to enter a cabin and navigate between the rooms.

Not to mention, what are you doing in a cabin, with the door wide open / busted down, just sitting there, when Jason is nearby? You're dying, that's what.

I'll definitely agree it's the least in line with the Jason "theme" but it does work well in-game and is a necessary part of Jason's kit. I expect, given that they've added throwing knives and traps, that it will take a nerf from what it was in beta.

Yeah, you've got to have it when you really break it down in a full 7v1 match.

Matches last 20 minutes a piece. Any counselor left alive when the clock hits zero has won. That gives Jason a little under 3 minutes to spend on each counselor...and once you add Tommy that figure drops to about 2:30.

That's honestly not a ton of time. The game seems deliberately designed to make it so that you're probably going to see at least a handful of deaths in a match, but a 100 percent full-counselor-wipe will require more skill.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

McSpanky posted:

I'm okay with the Tom Savini skin being a crowdfunding exclusive if the Steam preorder exclusive is an NES-style skin.

NES Jason is legit the scariest Jason has ever been so I'm cool with this.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
The game seems designed around the idea that, all other things being equal (player competence, etc.), matches end with a couple of survivors.

It isn't "If Jason doesn't kill literally everyone he loses", it's degrees of winning or losing, with 100 percent kill rates as a "perfect" victory and thus rare.

Rightfully so I think. There's always at least one survivor in the movies after all.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

FunkMonkey posted:

The tendency for them to cheese it into the woods or otherwise out in the open was still surprising. Maybe being witnessed entering a building is a death sentence due to a lack of reliable outs?

I dunno, I feel like inside is exactly where you want to be oftentimes when Jason spots you just because he has much more limited use of his powers in that situation. He can't morph into a building directly, and his shift is too unwieldy to use inside such tight spaces reliably.

I think pre-rage (so like, the first half of a match) being inside is far and away more preferable when being chased. Locking doors buys you a lot of time, you can trap entrances and if its a big enough cabin, even give Jason the slip more easily because his sense ability only lights up a cabin your inside, not your location in it. Outside, it shows *you*, precisely where you are.

Post-rage I think that probably changes.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Drunken Baker posted:

Yeah i totally get it too. Though I did envision different lobbies. Join lobby one to be assigned as a Jason to anyone who joins the counselor lobby two kinda thing.

I'm wondering what leveling up Jason is going to be like if you only play him every eight game or so too. I didn't play the Beta but wasn't it you start as Jason from 3 until you level up then you can play as 4 then 7? Is that the same with the full release, does anyone know?

Here's hoping for a "Roy" update.

XP gains are universal, so even playing as a counselor you are earning XP towards Jason unlocks.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Kelp Plankton posted:

As someone who played a good chunk of the Beta, though? Playing as a camp counselor is still a lot of fun. Very tense in a way other multiplayer horror games don't really nail. It feels like you're being hunted, you've got to make a lot of interesting decisions about what you're doing and where you're going and if you want to try and help the other players or hinder them, switching between the two options at any given moment based on what's going on. Cars to escape in only have so many seats available, the police barrier exit leaves you vulnerable to Jason attacks but he can only go after one of you at a time, etc.

Yeah, honestly I prefer counselor because of this right here.

Moment-to-moment decision making makes the whole experience really fun and the design choices about how you can win as a counselor are very smartly done in my opinion. You have three ways out as a counselor in a match:

1. Repair one of two cars. The total number of car seats is 6 between the two vehicles and in a full game there are 7 counselors, so right off you're in competition with each other to not get musical-chaired. I also don't think I saw any matches where both cars ended up being repaired. You're going to be doing well just to get one up and running.
2. Call the cops and escape. Any Jason worth their salt is going to be checking the phone box religiously, so to have any shot you not only need to repair and call while Jason is either distracted or in-between visits to the phone, but you've probably got to do it early enough that a car hasn't already escaped, because that seriously narrows your victory conditions and Jason will know it.
3. Wait out the 20 minute timer. If you're in this position, you're probably either the only one left, or one of very few. Since counselor fear level is a battle of attrition the whole match that you will likely slowly be on the losing end of, you're going to be hard-pressed to make it to the end against a good Jason.

Strategy changes almost on a dime depending on the situation, who you are playing with, and especially who you are playing against (which may or may not include other counselors).

By contrast, Jason has fewer choices to make moment-to-moment, especially in the early game before he unlocks shift and rage. There's some things in the early game that you basically *have* to do to ensure no one escapes early:

- Gotta check the phone
- Make sure the cars aren't being repaired
- Cut power/radio so Jarvis can't be called and counselor fear increases

Jason's decision making becomes more interesting mid-to-late match because if you haven't killed anyone by then, the chances of you getting everyone drop like a stone, so it becomes more about how to maximize your kill rate and deciding just who to chase.

ComposerGuy fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Apr 25, 2017

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Inside Out Mom posted:

Even if I'm not great at it, it would seem to be a really fun spectator game for sites like twitch and all. Hopefully the post launch opinions are as good as the anticipation in this thread.

I have no doubt it's going to get serious run on twitch.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

FunkMonkey posted:

I imagine this game's longevity will be very dependent on new maps down the line.

Agree 100 percent.

It's shipping with 3, which I think is a solid number considering the obvious care that went into map design. I'm hoping we end up with a cruise ship style map a la Part 8 down the line. Maybe instead of cars you have to activate life boats?

I'd also like Part 5's halfway-home ranch thing and the crystal Lake town itself, which shows up a few times in the series.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Crabtree posted:

I'm sort of wondering if eventually down the line it'd be okay to include other classic slashers like Freddy, Leatherface or Micheal Myers with respective maps based on their films. I know, this is a dangerous road to tred, but just something later in the game to spice up the killer selection between good maps and councilors. However, even if this is possible, Myers probably is off the table because he's already in another game.

The rights issues would be a clusterfuck. Hell, the F13 film rights are a clusterfuck literally right now. I can't imagine Gun Media are eager to jump down that rabbit hole.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
3 at launch of I remember correctly.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
Will be getting this day one and am down with a goon room.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Basebf555 posted:

Snapping Jarvis like a twig is definitely going to be extremely satisfying for any fan of the movies. That dumb gently caress is responsible for like hundreds of deaths.

Doubly because its the part 6 Tommy and goddamn he was the worst (and also the one directly responsible for resurrecting Jason).

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
I always thought the most jarring thing the series ever did was between parts 5 and 6 and it all has to do with Tommy.

The actors portraying Tommy in those two films are *nothing* alike and they may as well be completely different characters based on how they're written.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Fosson posted:

Which is how it should be, and makes the other posts from the Internet bitching about this hilarious. I read one reddit post at work yesterday that was like "Is it just me or is Jason OP? I've never seen the movies but there should be an obvious 50-50 chance and it would get boring if you knew winning as counselor was slim" :shepicide:

Christ.

50-50 is likely the intended chance that at least ONE survives. That's the whole point of 7 on 1 if you ask me. The odds everyone is going to escape are basically zero unless your Jason just fucks around the whole match. The game seems designed to favor 1-3 survivors at max in a normal session.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Oh, also from a way earlier discussion, the intelligence stat changed to "repair," however is functionally identical.

I'm guessing this was a preemptive PR move. I'll admit when I saw the initial stats of the counselors I immediately honed in on the "Oh, the one black guy is a jock with 1 intelligence....that's kind of not good guys".

Going with "repair", since that's literally all Intelligence ever managed anyway, is a much better choice.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Coolguye posted:

there are plenty of honkies with 1 int, i doubt that was the primary thought in their minds. however, it's not clear that intelligence relates to repairing from looking at it, whereas if you call it repair that's immediately obvious.

Could be. And you're right, it's much more intuitive.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Coolguye posted:

from the looks of things even just getting to the sweater-wearer early and getting them to blow their stun early will effectively defeat the kill attempt. it doesn't look like the survivors can do that more than once.

You also have to unmask Jason before the stun even works from the looks of things. Managing that appears to be a chore in and of itself.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Snatch Duster posted:

Its like 8 am PST.

According to the facebook page update posted 3 hours ago, the release is 12 AM EST for Steam and Xbone, 8 AM EST for PS4.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
I'm on discord and steam group but how do I get an invite to a game?

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
Have literally been hiding under a bed for 10 minutes.

Still there.

GOTY.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
First run as Jason: 6/8. gently caress yeah.

Also, chasing the car driving backward for half the map was great.

Play with goons, it's the best.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
Interesting glitch I found this morning: if you're Jason and someone stuns you, you can instantly break out of it if there just so happens to be a throwing knife within reach for you to grab.

Obviously this happens basically never, but I was surprised by it. And so was the pubbie I immediately murdered!

EDIT: From that same game, I have to say there is a special thrill in chasing down a pubbie counselor while you pump "Stayin' Alive" over the voice chat. Highly recommended.

ComposerGuy fucked around with this message at 15:05 on May 26, 2017

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
Yeah, teleporting/insta grab might need some tweaking. Like maybe Jason has a half second cooldown where he can't grab when he lands.

I've played as Jason a total of twice, both times as Part 3, and by half-way into my first run of him last night I had more-or-less mastered the teleport grab, and this morning I never missed. Granted, that match was against pubbies....but still.

That's the only tweak I would make right now.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

weekly font posted:

The best defense against the teleport grab is as soon as you hear/see the tape effects, dive your rear end through a window.

This is true, also if you aren't near a window, you can fairly reliably just go serpentine or make a few quick turns. It's easy to over-shoot your target in shift mode.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
People whining about $40 are the worst.

Like, games costs $50 in the late 80s/early 90s and that was 1990 money!

That's what is going to eventually kill indie gaming. This idea that if you're an indie studio, you are somehow obligated to price your games below 30 bucks.

My lawn has had enough of these loving kids.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
Death via being run over by escaping car while 10 feet from the cops.

10/10

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Burkion posted:

While also simultaneously aiding a hit and run homicide.

:argh:

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Dr. VooDoo posted:

So I was the rocker chick, repaired the phone, was the last alive, wasn't scared at all and hid under a bed. Jason made a direct he line for me. If you hide do you auto light up the cabin?

No because I did the same thing and made it to the end hiding for 10 minutes. There's a combination of your composure that mixes with stealth. Were the lights out?

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
Tales From The Pubbie Side:

Let me tell you the story of Tommy "1,000 Cuts" Jarvis and the Jason too dumb to live, but too lucky to die.

Six minutes into this match I've escaped in the 4-seater with 3 other players. A feat in and of itself because holy poo poo they picked the worst dude to drive. I was chilling up near the exit in a cabin out of sight waiting to jump in as they approached, but it took them 3 minutes to get there because they spent the first chunk going in reverse for some reason. I have no idea how Jason didn't murder them all. Anyway....

We escape and the match comes down to Tommy and Jason. No one else. For the next seven minutes, Tommy runs all over the place, not even attempting stealth, looking for items. Not a single Jason sighting. Then, finally, as Tommy was looking in the barn, Jason finds him! A thrilling game of "jump through the window" ensued, where Tommy would jump through the window, Jason would jog around, Tommy would jump back through, etc.

Now, its important to keep in mind that said window is broken.

Finally, Jason suddenly makes for the lodge. Why? Because its lighting up on his screen. Tired of chasing Tommy, our hero makes for easier prey.

Except that the lodge is lit up because Tommy turned a radio on ten minutes ago. It's a total fake-out...in a match now containing only a single counselor: Tommy.

And you think, "Jesus Christ, I can't believe Tommy is going to pull this off" until, UNTIL...

....Tommy jumps through the broken window one more time for no goddamn reason and loving dies. Match over.

I wish to god I had recorded it.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
I've been Jason about two dozen times over the weekend in a mix of Goon and Pubbie games, never failed to kill at least 5 counselors and have often gotten everyone, and based on my particular playstyle, these are things I've found to be true-ish (your mileage may vary!).

Composerguy's Jason Tips:

- Ignore Vanessa. Vanessa's entire purpose is to try and get you to chase her instead of everyone else. She has poo poo stealth, poo poo strength and can't fix anything without loving it up at least 2-3 times, which gives you plenty of time to morph over when you hear her inevitably loving up. Vanessa can't do anything on her own except juke you effectively, especially in the early-game, so she should be your lowest priority target. She's relying on everyone else to fix things she can get away in. Only go after her if: 1. You know for a fact you can off her very quickly, like, within 10 seconds quickly (catching her fixing the phone or a car for example) or 2. She's the last or one of the last counselors on the map late match. Her composure and stealth are terrible, so by mid-match she will light up like a christmas tree on your sense from half a map away.

- Similar, but more situational, you should largely ignore Bugsy in the early-going. Especially a Bugsy who is on his own. He will outrun you and his strength can be a real problem if he's got a baseball bat and decent aim. I've seen many Jasons get tunnel vision chasing down a lone Bugsy and regret it (I was one of those Bugsies. Juked Jason for a solid 6 minutes before he gave up and by then half the counselors had gotten away). Get his fear built up, *then* deal with him.

- Absolutely take out high stealth, high composure and high repair counselors as priority targets. All other things being equal, if you've got a group of 3-4 counselors around, you should prioritize AJ, LaChappa and Debbie. They have the best repair skills, and AJ in particular can ghost on you real quick and thus become a pain in the rear end to find later on.

- Your first couple of morphs actually make more of a difference than you might think. You need to be hitting power boxes and trapping phones/cars/boat docks in the opening minute. For most Jasons, morph is on a 20 second cooldown. In those 20 seconds you should be able to trap a spot or break a power box and even take a moment to break open a few doors (I tend to break the doors on cabins near cars and the phone to make it easier later on).

- You are not a direct threat until Shift unlocks a few minutes into the game and you shouldn't try to be unless you get a perfect situation. Ignore counselors who show up where you morph in favor of going about the business of making their lives harder via cutting power and trapping objectives. They can all outrun you at this stage pretty well, and you'll waste sometimes minutes at a time going after them only for you to miss another group of counselors escaping due to your lax defense.

- Be vigilant about checking your map every so often. The only hint you'll often get that the boat is escaping is seeing it moving on the map. That's the trade-off with the boat for the counselors: If Jason doesn't know about it, you're home free, but if he does, you are 100 percent dead. The car has no such drawback if you can drive skillfully enough.

- Got a group of counselors swarming the 4-seater with all kinds of weapons and you're having a hard time not getting stunned/knocked down to keep them from getting in? Morph out and let them have it. Choose a spot where they'll have to drive and wait them out. Counselors inside a car are *zero* threat because they can't fire their weapons at you and it takes them a few seconds to emerge from the vehicle. So you can smash the car and usually kill one of them before the others have time to stun you.

- Don't forget about Stalk. It's very, very useful for confusing people about your location.

- Because I've seen some Jasons have trouble with this: Rage is context-sensitive. You'll be prompted to hit "e" or "action" at doors and walls. It can be hard to see the door one unless you're looking, but its there. Don't wast time axing down doors if you can just walk right through them.

- There's a bit of a back and forth right now on whether grab kills or just hacking away is the most efficient method of death. People who mostly hack are afraid of pocket knives and being stunned...but I think it depends on the situation. A map spawns maybe 4-5 knives per game and yeah it sucks to get stabbed, but going toe-to-toe with the stronger counselors can get you stunned just as fast. Even a LaChappa can get a stun hit off with a baseball bat and you are functionally invincible during kill animations if you trigger them fast enough. I only go for hack kills if I'm particularly annoyed by someone.

In general, building fear is the key against counselors who know what they're doing. Higher fear means short time to kill animations, easier detection via sense, and cripples the counselors by narrowing their vision and making them stumble more often. As Jason, you're playing for the long game most of the time because the longer a match runs, the more the odds are shifted in your favor.

EDIT:

WoodrowSkillson posted:

the only linked items i have seen are that the boat propeller seems to spawn closer to the boat than away from it, and the fuse tends to be near the building the phone is in.

Not sure about this. I had a game where the propeller spawned in the garage literally on the opposite side of the map from the boat dock.

ComposerGuy fucked around with this message at 18:43 on May 30, 2017

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Burkion posted:

I'll have you know

I was actually helpless either way. Chubs McKenzie rolls with no weapons and no items he just parks his fat rear end in the car he maybe helped repair but often times didn't what's up

Optional Addendum: Chase the car and let them do your work for you when they run over three counselors trying to back away from you.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

ChickenHeart posted:

I've had occasions where the fuse is in the same cabin with the phone, and times where the fuse spawns on the other side of the map in a lovely one-room cabin in a corner. I'm convinced the items spawn randomly.

Has anyone here had good runs with "Chubs" Eric? Aside from somehow avoiding Jason on an island, most of my games with him end with him dying early and messily, or being carried by more capable players to an escape, often with them dying for their trouble. His low speed and stamina poo poo all over his repair potential; it's usually faster to just pass off that battery to Chad to make the trip across the map and jam it in himself.

My hypothetical strategy of "use stealth to hermit it up in the lodge and pop out to repair the car/phone" to get around his lovely agility is a crapshoot; it's heavily dependant on teammates doing the footwork for you, and there is very little feedback on whether you are successfully hiding from Jason or not. Also there's the fact that while you're holed up in a closet you're not really contributing to the group.

He makes for a great joke/challenge character at least.

Ol' chubs is great early game if you manage to get repair parts. Jason is at his weakest and so your stealth still matters. He'll repair things in two clicks. In the right situation, he can be in a boat or car and out of there inside of 3 minutes without Jason ever being aware something was going on.

By mid-game, though, his usefulness starts to dive off a cliff. Although I will say in the right hands you can get a glorious 8-minute juke-fest.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

chitoryu12 posted:

I got accused of being "cheap" by using shift-grab to slaughter all 8 in less than half the allotted time.

I've had that happen in a few pubbie games and I'm like, am I supposed to feel bad or something?

Because I don't.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
Let it be known that I, as Tommy Jarvis, and Jetamo, wearing a very fashionable sweater, ended our long national nightmare by killing Duster-Jason.

This is easily the highlight of my F13 career.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Lastdancer posted:

How did Duster take it

Pretty well honestly. There was a pretty lucky chain of events that even allowed the possibility in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

weekly font posted:

Found one in a bathtub myself. Looks like the guy from the intro?

Ya intro guy is always stashed somewhere. I make a game out of trying to find him each match.

• Locked thread