Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

imweasel09 posted:

I've never once seen someone able to escape if jason just goes for the choke. If he really wants you dead that perk does gently caress all.

I get out of those all the time if I'm playing a high-composure character. Composure being the stat that determines how fast you can break his grip. As long as you aren't in a terrified state the escape bar moves really, really fast with someone like Jenny or Tommy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Republicans posted:

I did 5/8 as Part 7 and all I got was a "I hate hack & slashers but at least he didn't shift-grab." :(

This is basically saying "I hate the part where Jason can kill you at all."

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Burkion posted:

I consider that a personal victory. Always sacrifice your Tommys for time.

I mean, that's just Good Tommying.

Played a pubbie round with a friend last night. I'm Kenny, which I've discovered is actually pretty viable depending on load-out, and this Jason is....well he's something.

Dude is loud and obnoxious as gently caress over mic, but he's the shittiest Jason I've ever seen. He spent literally the first 10 minutes of the match tunnel-visioning my buddy, who was playing Chubs, and just leading him around Packanack Lodge on an endless chase. Absolutely nothing pulled this guy away from Chubs. gently caress up the phone repair four times? No worries. Make the call? Whatever, Jason has Chubs to catch.

The moral here is that Chubs is OP.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

imweasel09 posted:

I'm disappointed there's no anecdote here for when Burk didn't see the shack 2 feet in front of his face. There were like 6 people dead spectating one of his jason 7 games, we hear him ask "where do I live" while looking directly at Jason's shack and then proceed to morph to the opposite side of the shack.

I was there for that one as well. He just stood still for a few seconds, looking directly at the shack, and the teleported 20 feet to the other side of it.

Clearly some high level Burk strat we don't understand.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

My favorite Burk moment was when we all granted him a game of hide+seek with him as Jason 7 and and he still lost.

My hiding spot for that game was so good I tried it in a normal pubbie game to see if I could out last Jason.

Worked. Everyone was super pissed.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

I was at one of the Higgins north cabins, not the one you were looking in, Burk.

He killed the power at Higgins right off, so I risked it and ran out of the cabin, fixed the power at the barn, then ran back. I was one of the three who survived.

I was in the water behind a rock on the far eastern side of the map. I managed to position myself so that my flashlight would hit the rock and not be visible from any angle but directly behind me in the water, and since I thought to pick Jenny I banked on her maxed composure to keep me from lighting up on sense.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
Freddy v Jason is dumb because it posits that what Jason is really afraid of is water.

loving what?

That is my FvJ review.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

In-game communication is, by designed, limited to those with a walkie talkie. It's part of the game. Also, by design, if Jason is close to you - he can hear what you are saying.

So if you are communicating over discord, it's cheating if you don't have a walkie.

As such, Jason should stay in discord. If you have critical information to share, use the in-game communication such that Jason can't hear you. If you cannot do that because you don't have a walkie - then use Dsicord at your own risk.

That's what I did in our games a couple nights ago. Discord for general chatter, and in-game walkie for pertinent information for coordinating the best way to stave off dying as long as possible when you were Jason.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
I have NEVER been abandoned by Burk. :colbert:

Of course, I usually have 3 backup plans when playing with Burk just in case, but still.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
Pub game about an hour ago.

The Jason is a little below average but whatever. It's Packanack and of course the 4-seater and phone have both spawned at the lodge, so Jason has spent basically the whole game just camping around it. We're down to four counselors. Two of them are up by the boat, and me and a Bugsy are at Packanack juking and trying to get the phone going.

So over walkie I hear "Hey if anyone has gas bring it up to the boat and we can all get away".

Well, I know from looking at the map that there are 2 guys up there, and they're just sitting by the boat. It's pretty clear they're hoping me or Bugsy don't realize the boat won't seat more than 2.

But hey, guess who just found the gas?

Me. As Chad.

So I say into the walkie "No, no you guys go ahead and take the boat, it's fine", and I know I'm within earshot of Jason. I hear back "Dude I just said we need the gas fir...OH poo poo".

Jason had teleported over and starts chasing them down. I saunter over to the boat while he's chasing them through cabins, casually put the gas in the boat, start her up, and ride off into the sunrise.

Right before I'm at the exit I walkie "Hey! I found the gas! And also a boat!"

The curses ring in my headset. Chad rides again.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Drunken Baker posted:

That story is amazing.

Serious question, does Dead by Daylight get anywhere NEAR as good as that? My mate and his kid play DbD and wont play this because they say it looks like a "crap ripoff" I've tried explaining the differences, but they get tunnel vision about things sometimes. (Like thinking Payday 2 is pvp and pay 2 win)

It's(DbD) out on Xbox and I'm trying to NOT play this constantly... But I dunno. DbD seems real sterile and by the book, if that makes sense. It seems like there's no loving around in that game. You either start up the generators and run away or get hung and that's it.

They're distinctly different games with distinctly different rulesets and playstyles. The only reason people compare them is because of the slasher connection (DbD has a Michael Myers dlc, bringing that point further home).

In my opinion, F13 is closer to the "survival horror" genre than DbD, which is much more about objective-based team play. Not to say that F13 doesn't involve objectives, but playing DbD effectively all but requires cooperation between the 4 survivors, with secondary escape options only really being a last minute panic choice when too many have gone down.

F13, by contrast, allows for groups of counselors to work together, or go it alone, and depending on the situation, both are absolutely viable. There's also much more opportunity for shenanigans in my experience.

DbD is fine. I'm not one who rags on it very hard. But I do think the gameplay *concepts* behind F13 are stronger, even if the execution lacks polish right now. Of course, that same lack of polish allows for some truly hilarious poo poo to go down so it evens out to me.

EDIT: Also, as far as "ripoff" goes...F13 was in development before DbD, but released after, for what its worth.

ComposerGuy fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jun 29, 2017

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
One other thing is that F13 is getting a single-player component at some point this summer which will make you Jason against A.I. counselors. I foresee this being a valuable tool to help people who are maybe timid about playing Jason (there's a LOT of pressure on Jason to be "good", and it can be really frustrating if you aren't) learn how to play as him in a "safe" setting. A.I. won't emulate real players, obviously, but anything that helps you get better at understanding how to play Jason is a net positive IMO.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
Pro Burk-Jason tip:

If he offers you a deal, absolutely take it.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
Every time I've done it or seen it done the sweater wearer had to knock him down. Anyone else caused the whole thing to gently caress up and no kill happened.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Cabin inspections were fun, I'll let Burk relay that story because he clearly failed inspections the hardest.

I won the hardest. had the entire main lodge to clear on my own and Drill Sgt. Jason found everything in order.

Thus I was allowed to leave via car on my lonesome.

Also:

quote:

unlimited stamina

That's an auto-win, honestly. At full sprint every single counselor moves faster than Jason. He'd have to shift-grab you to win.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Scalding Coffee posted:

I once set a trap that spawned a couple feet behind me and snagged a counselor. They don't seem worth it at all unless you group them for a last stand.

Traps are for long-term planning. You set them early in case you need to double-back and use a cabin for quick getaway.

Setting them as Jason is chasing you is largely useless because any Jason worth anything will hear the trap being set if he's right near you, and simply avoid it. Traps set earlier in the match have a higher chance to catch Jason unawares.

If I find a trap in a cabin early game, I almost always set it unless I'm in a big hurry to get something done. It may not help *me* specifically, but it might save another counselor later on.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
Another Goon Game Tale from last night:

We played a variation where Tinfoil was Jason. We all meet up at the lodge at Higgens and Tinfoil gave us a simple rule for the game: The first counselor to call the cops would be allowed to escape. Everyone else dies.

So Tinfoil goes to hang out by the phone so he can make sure to witness who calls.

Everyone scatters to try and find the fuse. I'm the only one that runs to the western side at first, and lo and behold, I find the fuse within 2 minutes of us scattering. It also happens that the phone box is over there as well, so I head over to start repairing.

But then Lastdancer shows up on my radar, and since I'm Tiffany, my repair work is going pretty slow. So I stop before Lastdancer can see I'm repairing the phone because I know where this is going: We're all going to murder each other to make sure we're the one to make the phone call.

So I resume "searching" for the fuse like everyone else and eventually end up on the eastern side of the map while, as I expected, everyone starts killing each other to make sure they don't make the call first.

Everyone keeps asking me what I'm doing over on that side of the map and I just say I'm "making sure no one missed the fuse". Tinfoil morphs over at one point to ask what I'm doing, and I tell him I'm looking for a bladed weapon because I know what's going on over there. It eventually becomes pretty obvious what I'm actually doing, and by the time I head back over with a machete in hand its down to me and one other counselor (I can't remember who it was off the top of my head). Well, they were already injured pretty badly so it was a simple matter to kill them, repair the phone, and call the cops.

Victory: ComposerGuy

ComposerGuy fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jun 30, 2017

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
So I had to take a hiatus these past two weeks. What have I missed?

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

-A psycho stalker girl who was cute and Terry wanted to get inside proceeded to go psycho after Terry realized she was psycho and internet-dumped her. She got lovely in the discord and was subsequently banned by the combined might of myself and Burk. She may or may not have killed herself.

-Game still has bugs and crashes on occasion, not as bad as it was.

-Burk managed to tilt me after being full-on Burk when we were both counselors. The very next game I was Savini and Terry escaped. It was a very poor performance and now they use Burk as a mild form of cryptonite against me as Jason.

-Goons being goons.

Right right, so business as usual. Good to know I can jump right back in as though I never left.

Now I'm back to once again inexplicably be the last person left alive in a match.

ComposerGuy fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jul 27, 2017

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
Part 8 is my favorite. If he could run he'd be the best hands-down IMO. Has the Savini destruction plus (so locked doors only take 3 hits to go down, which is insane good), and that all on its own makes him great. Longer stalk is cool to me because I like stalk, and water speed is sort of meh but hey, he's fast as poo poo in water. Situational but can be useful.

But his "weaknesses" are whatever. Shorter sense, can't run, lower grip strength. Psh. That's nothing. He basically doesn't have weaknesses.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

So Icey Seifuku posted:

Go all in and give us the NES Camp Crystal Lake.

I would love this. The NES map actually has just about the right number of cabins (17 normal, 3 in the woods, 3 for the "kids" but you could easily get rid of those with nothing lost, put Jason's spawn point there and at the cave).

You'd have to modify the lake, though, since the NES lake has no exit, if you wanted a boat escape. Give it a small tributary or something.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
The one thing that brought my Jason play up to at least average was realizing that combat stance completely nullifies any stun attempt by a counselor. As long as you trigger it right before a hit connects, you won't get stunned, and their weapon still takes damage.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

CapnAndy posted:

Sure, if they gently caress up I can get 'em. The problem is that if they start it without fuckups, I don't know that it's been started and let them leave unchallenged, and I don't know how to be alerted other than compulsive map-checking.

Be checking your map every so often if the boat has spawned. A quick tap of "m" and back is enough.

Since the boat only seats two, and a decent Jason that catches that it's started means instant counselor death, it's the ultimate risk/reward option for counselor players.

Plus, unlike cars, a stopped boat in the middle of the lake is 99 percent of the time an escape route that is effectively taken out of the game. It's supposed to be difficult for Jason to know the boat is in action for that very reason.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Basebf555 posted:

I typically just ignore the boat, and if a counselor can fix it without tipping me off then more power to them. Sure, if I see it start to move I'll Morph over there but it's not in my normal rotation where I feel like I need to maintain a regular presence around it to deter the counselors. I've rarely had to pay for that strategy, counselors tend to focus much more on the cars.

I go for the boat a lot as a counselor because it only takes 2 parts and you can pull off nutty 2-minute escapes if the cards fall just right.

It's a HUGE gamble though, especially in pubbie games because the other counselors are very, very liable to just straight up tell Jason to check his map for the boat in order to get him off them, and most pubbie Jason's I've seen will go for it every single time no matter what else is happening. Like I've literally seen Jason go to the boat while four other counselors immediately got in the car and drove off. There's some kind of weird compulsion there.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
A new map with a new Jason AND counselor all at once is enough to get me back in I think.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Burkion posted:

We're planning to play this Friday, Saturday and Sunday on PC!

Which you already likely know but that's more for anyone who's not checking discord all the time

I'll definitely be around Friday and probably Sunday. Saturday is wedding anniversary stuff so the wife probably wouldn't take kindly to that.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
If my hours of playing have revealed anything, its that I'm REALLY good at being the last one alive.

And then I die.

I am Chad.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Basebf555 posted:

There's almost a body language to overconfident counselors who know they have a pocket knife so they think they can just hang around Jason safely. After a while you develop like a sixth sense for it, it's especially great when they have mics and you get to hear their shock and surprise as you swing away. Then as they're limping away and cursing you for being "cheap", that's when you grab them.

This is why I act the same way whether I have a pocket knife or not. I always act as though I *don't* have one, because I'm one of those people that doesn't want to have to use it because then I won't have it anymore.

That and I just enjoy juking and not really trying for a stand-up fight. I'm not a super-pro juke-man but it's definitely my best skill. And making Jason waste 5 minutes to finally kill me, and thus giving everyone else tons of time to do stuff, is always good.

Unless I'm playing Chad. Then gently caress 'em.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
I get such a feeling of relief when I find a pocket knife and honestly I shouldn't because if I ever have to actually use it my survival odds drop like a stone.

Most of my wins are knife-less or at least Ill have one that I never have to use.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
So I like the Jarvis map a lot. Having 2 large, unique houses across from each other gives you a lot of possibilities, especially since they're 3 stories. The party house in particular, with the basement connected both inside and out, really gives you options for evading successfully.

The map itself just feels very different than the other three base maps. Part of that is the newness, yeah, but I think the layout is particularly interesting what with the islands with lobe cabins and the water surrounding the whole place.

Also the fact that the map can spawn with a boat and a 2-seater means way more opportunity to duck each other over!

I'm hoping the holiday map is the halfway home in part 5...but I'd settle for the cruise boat from part 8.

ComposerGuy fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Oct 13, 2017

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Regrettable posted:

I'm level 80 and have almost 200 hours and have never seen a Pam tape.

Yeah, the Pam tapes were executed extremely poorly. They're so rare that there's no hype behind finding them because statistically you just aren't going to.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
Yesterday's chapter of "Make Pub Jason Ragequit" was a simple, elegant afair.

I roll Chad, who is the only counselor I roll with Pubs. In the first three minutes, pre-shift, I've found 2 pocket knives, a med spray and a flare gun. Basically the perfect loadout, so I'm ready for some hard core harassment.

Instead, Jason manages to kill everyone but me and one random Bugsy player.

I come up on a the cabin that Bugsy is in, just in time to see him chased out by Jason. Jason doesn't see me (I'm behind a tree) and he chases Bugsy all the way to the other side of the map.

I got curious at that point. Figuring that the cabin Jason just chased Bugsy out of would be the last place he would think to look for me, I go inside and crouch in a side room.

Bugsy dies a minute later.

I hit "start" on my stopwatch.

9 minutes and 17 seconds later, Jason ragequits because he can't find me.

*Chad*

He can't find *Chad*.

I never even heard the Jason music during that time. He never cut the power, I never moved (other than to avoid being kicked for AFK) and I never had to use an item.

ComposerGuy fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Nov 7, 2017

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
The weird part was that after you shot me, on my screen anyway, I was still just standing there, looking around like nothing happened. I just couldn't move.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
Yeah, the camera shifted to in front of me like I was dying, but I stayed on my feet, looking around like I was still alive and stayed there. Couldn't move, and couldn't switch camera angles.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Burkion posted:

She dropped a house on him, blew him up, nailed him, set him on fire, electrocuted him

And the most criminally underrated thing

She head butted him with a decapitated head.

I think she also tries to psychically crush his skull at one point.

Which is exactly what she should have been doing.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
Jason Goes to Hell is a very good 10 minute short film that ends when the FBI blow up Jason.

A great end to the series right there.

The rest of it is a made-for-TV movie about an alien parasite or something.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
You roll random Jason, you're getting Part 7 because gently caress you.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
Part 4 is weird to me because ostensibly the Jarvis's have been living in that house on the lake for quite some time.

How?

Like, Jason is a seriously territorial son of a bitch. As far as he's concerned he *owns* that lake. How did they go years without him noticing them even once?

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

codenameFANGIO posted:

Well I don’t think Jason has really been out and about until the week or so long rampage that happens in 2, 3, and 4, which starts at Camp Crystal Lake and basically ends with him wandering the Pine Barrens or whatever just kind of looking for people to stab. So I think it’s safe to say that the Jarvis residence is a good bit away from Crystal Lake. Also I am unclear on whether or not Jason was actually alive and running around before that or if he is a zombie ghost man who came back in response to his mother’s justifiable murder.

Actually that's pretty fair if we just assume he didn't go "active" until Part 2, since I forgot Part 4 is within that same time frame.

I also just realized that everything from Part 6 onwards is 100 percent Tommy's fault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
Shenanigans are the only real way to play the game correctly.

Basically to enjoy this game, 2 things must be true:

1. You don't care about and in fact can embrace jank as being part of the fun (the Bethesda Mantra).
and
2. You do not take competitive multiplayer seriously like some kind of weirdo.

If that describes you, then this is the game for you!

• Locked thread