Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Burkion posted:

I got told that I was what drove people away from games after I tried to help a Jason with useful tips and tricks until he abruptly and unjustly ragequitted on me.

This does not upset me greatly. Though the lack of looping does

Imagine you're a mediocre Jason. You load in and begin trying to kill the counselors - only to find Burk. Burk isn't running, he's just casually strolling around you as LaChappa explaining to you some good tips to play Jason. Almost lazily, he dodges and jukes every attempt you make to harm or grab him. He is extremely upbeat about the whole thing, pointing out where you can improve in the cloyingly friendly voice that could only be Burk. Other counselors are starting the car and calling the cops while Burk completely shits on your face with LaChappa in the most affable way which you didn't think possible.

You ragequit and fall asleep listening to Evanescence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
AJ's kind of a whore, isn't she.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Some of these unique set piece kills are very cool and should be in the main game.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
My favorite bug ever, which of course happened in a Burk game, was when I died and took possession of Icedude's body.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Icedude posted:

My body which inexplicably became headless when you took over it, while my camera was stuck back where you got into the car :allears:

It was a faithful recreation of Part IX.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

wyoak posted:

Do they let you skip the cutscenes at the beginning of the single player challenges yet?

Let's wait until this legal nonsense clears up before we talk about such drastic changes to the IP

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
There are bugs?

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
I don't understand why people are flipping out so much. Game is not dead, everything is just on hold. Worst case is that the game remains at its current state. (Which sucks because I wanted to murder goons with Jason X)

If you were somehow thinking that the game would somehow transcend from the campy buggy mess that it always was and always will be, then I have a spaceship JPG to sell you.

~~~~~~~~~

On the legal side, shouldn't this kind of copyright dispute be treated like a property easement?

Pretend Burk owns 40 acres of land in Texas and I live in the adjacent property. There's a treeline and some woods separating our property, where Burk owns a few feet on MY side of the tree line, just because that's how the property lines are.

Burk ignores this part of his property because it's useless to him. He has to hike through trees to even get to it, and for all intents and purposes it's connected to my lawn and he has no feasible way to regularly maintain the grass. So I start mowing Burks lawn, because that makes sense. I make a horseshoe pit on it, and invite Burk over for BBQs where we use that part of the property. I trim the trees back and put a garden down - whatever.

If this goes on for long enough (a few years) then by US law, I now own that property. It's mine - I've been maintaining and using it without protest from Burk. That's called an easement.

This same concept ought to apply to intellectual property. If GUN made a game with Jason, have been maintaining Jason, have been using Jason - then Jason is theirs.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

chitoryu12 posted:

Copyright tends to be pretty strict. You don't have to actually file copyright for something for a copyright to exist on it (which is how you get protection from idea theft), but if you sign away the rights you've signed away the rights and they can only be transferred again with another legal process.

In the case of Miller, the argument from Cunningham is that he signed a contract as an employee. Under state law where the contract was signed, any material created by the employee for the employer is legally the employer's property. My workplace has the same arrangement with its trainers, where any material they independently create for the training program legally belongs to the company. Assuming the contract says as much, Cunningham's company still owns the property.

While Gun has been making the game, new Friday the 13th films have been in development ever since the 2009 reboot. They've had problems with cancellations and now this lawsuit putting things on hold, but it's not like the property was dormant.

Because keeping Jason Voorhees alive in popular culture and entertainment somehow hurts their future movies?

People suck rear end, just be happy they made the game, make your movie - work WITH them and maybe you can both make money together instead of spending on lawyers.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Burkion posted:

Sadly not everyone can be as reasonable as we are with our land deals

Imagine if we actually lived next door.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm confused about exactly who you think is suing who here.

Victor Miller (the scriptwriter for the first film) is suing Cunningham (the co-creator of the series, who hired Miller to write the script) for rights that he wouldn't have if he was indeed hired as an employee. Gun Media only has the rights to Friday the 13th as far as the video game is concerned. Because of the lawsuit, all work on the Friday the 13th series is temporarily put on hold. Gun Media isn't actually involved in the suit beyond not being able to continue releasing content until the rights issue is resolved.

My only point is that it's asinine to have a hold put on the game development, because the game will only serve to help whoever winds up with the rights in the end.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Anyone good with Discord bots? Looking for someone to help me out with an idea I conjured up for the channel and/or perhaps 4th of July Weekend(s)

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Lawyer: "Alright folks, I understand there's a dispute over this house during your divorce. One of you will wind up with it. Meanwhile a landscaper is sprucing up the yard for free, which will help curb appeal so I think we should...."

Divorcees: "NO!"

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

chitoryu12 posted:

Right now the licensing agreement that lets Gun Media produce the game is with the current rights holders. If the judge were to rule in favor of Miller, there's a possibility that the agreement may suddenly become null and void. The legal order to cease work on the series until the suit is settled keeps them from wasting a bunch of time and money on work that may no longer have a contract in place to allow for its publication.

I understand what's happening - I just don't understand why things have to be so stupid.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
In the game of American litigation, there are no winners.

Except the lawyers, who always win.

Back to more pressing matters: Who has the elite Discord bot skills?

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
HEY PC CAMPERS!

We're going to be announcing an upcoming Goon event which will take place on and around the 4th of July - I need your help in brainstorming some fun "goon achievements" which may get incorporated into the event! Try to think of things which are fun / funny / skillful but also will balance each other out. Ridiculous goon-isms welcome.

Some things I've come up with so far as possibilities:

• Embrace destiny: In a car with at least two other counselors, intentionally drive into the lake.

• Screw you guys, I'm going home: After being a passenger in a car which was driven by another counselor into the lake - escape the map.

• Is this helping?: "Free" a fellow counselor from Jason's grasp by hitting them both with the car. (Counselor survival not required)

• Is this helping? Part II: "Free" a fellow counselor from Jason's grasp by shooting them both. (Counselor survival not required)

• Best served cold After being killed by a fellow counselor, kill that counselor as Tommy Jarvis. (same game)

• Burk'ed: Be the victim of a gamebreaking / hilarious bug in a game with Burk.

• The Underdog: Kill 8/8 counselors as Jason II or IV.

• Manhattan Project: Kill 8/8 counselors with Jason VIII using only head punch.

• The Duster challenge: Kill 8/8 counselors with any Jason using different environmental kills on each counselor.

• The cult of Jenny: As a member of the Jenny cult, get a pubbie to freak out or laugh.

• The waiting game: Timeout a match as Jenny.

• The life of Tinfoil: While at least one counselor is still alive, be continuously chased by Jason for 5 minutes in a match where everyone ultimately dies.

• The life of Icey: In the same match: (1) fully repair the phone, call the police, and (2) fully repair a vehicle and escape in it alone.

• Party! With at least three other counselors doing the same, dance uninterrupted for four minutes anywhere there is an active radio.

• Rager!!!: With at least three other counselors doing the same, dance uninterrupted for 30 seconds inside Jasons shack.

• Crasher: As Jason, interrupt a Party or Rager attempt.

• Grillmaster: As Jason, kill at least three counselors with the fireplace or campfire environmental kills in the same game.

• Independence Day: Stunlock Jason with two or more fireworks.

• Surprise Mothafucka: As Jason, have a counselor open a door to you within grab range while you're stalking.

Comments / other ideas welcome

Tinfoil Papercut fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Jun 21, 2018

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Burkion posted:

So what you're saying is I've already mastered half the list

I think you WILL be half the list, Burk.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Burkion posted:

You know, no joke

I think I've actually had some games where I did about 4 of these in the same match.

Sometimes things just work out so nicely.

I have some Burk specific ones in mind for you, as a foil to everyone trying to do anything.

Ex:

Burk is the last counselor left alive (- points for Jason)
Burk was allowed to call the police as LaChappa (- points for Jason)
You chased Burk for more than 90 seconds (- points for Jason)
Burk was allowed to drive the car (-points all counselors)

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Some more good ones courtesy of Icey:

The Fucker: Escape alone in a vehicle which has not been started yet and you had absolutely nothing to do with repairing.

(Australian Accent) Clever Girl: Escape in a car where Jason had stopped the car and you never got out of a passenger seat.

UBER: Escape in a vehicle where you make three separate stops to pick people up.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
I just started the game and it ran fine? :confused:

I keep hearing it's dead.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Stay tuned campers for a Goon community event announcement - the last good community left for this game! Announcement early this week!

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
...or whenever we get the Discord bot working. This week, most like.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
ANNOUNCING:

GOON SUMMER 4TH OF JULY BLOCK PARTY!

....of Death.

Head Counselor Tinfoil posted:

Well campers, it's that time of year again! Time for fireworks, hamburgers, reckless and drunken firearm handling, and murder!

This June 29th through July 8th please join our Discord to celebrate this 4th of July with our favorite vacation spot, a real "slice" of heaven: Camp Crystal Lake!

EVENT:

Well, not so much of an event as a good excuse to get together and play this broken stupid game we love. Nothing gets me thinking about Friday the 13th like those warm summer nights, so let's make the most of this holiday week / weekend and kill some lusty teenagers!

The Discord Bot:

We've added a Discord Bot known affectionately as: "SideShow Bot" to help us run a fun and gay minigame this week. The bot is able to track and display "points" for everyone on the server. The basic commands are:

$thanks @(Username) This will add points to the user of your choice.

$Score Shows your current score.

$Leaderboard here Displays the server point leaderboard.

The Goon Achievements!

To follow suit with the bot, I've developed a list of goon achievements to abide by during our PM's this week. The counselors or Jason have some goon-esque and challenging tasks - the reward of which is to force everyone in the Discord to grant them points for their feats of strength. If any of the rules contradict each other for points at the end of the match, do what you feel is right.

At the end of every match, please thank people according to the achievements below - if you don't have to thank anyone per the list, go ahead and thank whoever you like from that round!

Embrace destiny: In a car with at least two other counselors, intentionally drive into the lake. (Car passengers must thank you)

Screw you guys, I'm going home: After being a passenger in a car which was driven by another counselor into the lake - escape the map. (Jason and driver must thank you)

Best served cold: After being killed by a fellow counselor, kill that counselor as Tommy Jarvis. (in the same round) (Betray-er and Jason must thank you)

The Underdog: Kill 8/8 counselors as Jason II or IV. (All counselors must thank you)

The Duster challenge: Kill 8/8 counselors with any Jason using different environmental kills on each counselor. (All counselors must thank you)

The cult of Jenny: Timeout a match as Jenny. (All counselors and Jason must thank you)

Party! With at least two other counselors doing the same, dance uninterrupted for five minutes anywhere there is an active radio. (Jason and all non-dancing counselors must thank a random party-er)

Crasher: As Jason, interrupt a Party attempt. (All dancers must thank you)

Grillmaster: As Jason, kill at least three counselors with the fireplace or campfire environmental kills in the same game. (All grilled counselors must thank you)

Independence Day: Stunlock Jason with two or more fireworks. (Jason must thank you)

Surprise Mothafucka: As Jason, have a counselor open a door to you within grab range while you're stalking. (Ye who poo poo their pants must thank you)

The Fucker: Escape alone in a vehicle which has not been started yet and you had absolutely nothing to do with repairing. (All counselors must thank you)

Clever Girl: Escape in a car where Jason had stopped the car and you never got out of a passenger seat. (Anyone who died in the clusterfuck you avoided thanks you)

UBER: Escape in a vehicle where you make three separate stops to pick people up. (all passengers must thank you)

DIE DIE DIE Killing Jason. (Jason must thank Sweater, all others must randomly thank sweater or Tommy)

Beat the odds: Win a game of "Jason roulette" (All counselors thank the winner)

Bad touch: In a game of "Left Behind" with Burk as Jason, call the police. (All counselors and Jason thanks you, overrides any other rules)

S C A R Y T E R R Y: Get a female to join the goon FR13 discord and play a PM. (All counselors and Jason thanks you, overrides any other rules)

The life of Burk: Get your Tommy Jarvis killed (non-suicide or betrayal) within 30 seconds of spawning. (Jason thanks you)

The Final Chapter: Kill Tinfoil Papercut's Jason Voorhees. (All Discord users must thank both Tommy and Sweater)

The Great White Burk: Burk is a known foil to normal games. He causes bugs, memory leaks, and random shenannagans never thought possible. Burk therefore is a force of randomness to be reckoned with and will make your points distribute accordingly.

Killing Burk as a counselor: (You must thank Burk)

Getting killed by Burk as a counselor (where Burk is not TJ): (You must thank Burk)

Killing Burk (as counselor) AFTER he has killed someone in that game (also as counselor): (All counselors thank you, Jason thanks Burk)

Escape in a vehicle with Burk driving: (Every counselor and Jason thanks Burk)

Be the victim of a gamebreaking / hilarious bug in a game with Burk. (All counselors thank Burk, Jason thanks the bug victim)

Burk is the last counselor alive for Jason (Where Burk is not TJ): (All counselors thank Jason)

Tinfoil Papercut fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jun 28, 2018

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Burkion posted:

So what I'm hearing is that I need to play extra good on the fourth

Just be you, Burk. Just be you.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Let the 4th of July killing COMMENCE!

:sandance:

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Latest Goon match: Composerguy walks into Pakanack lodge as Jason VIII, discovers Burk dancing alone over the corpses of 3 people he has killed.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Yesterday was the first I had ever heard that the term "traps" was now offensive. But just lol if you don't see GBS as full of commies.

e. And to clarify further: I apologise for the use of that word if it offended anyone, but I hate to inform you that not eveyrbody's politics aligns with the current state of GBS. A couple goons having a 1-off conversation about it and the current state of the SA forums hardly qualifies as an "Alt right meltdown" and neither does it turn it to "hot garbage."

I suggest we avoid political discussions at all and stick to gaming - which is what 90% of that conversation was anyway.

Tinfoil Papercut fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Jul 5, 2018

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

dogstile posted:

gaming is better.

:agreed:

Gaming brings everyone together across all political, racial, and sexual preferences for the universal enjoyment of dismembering each other.

It truly is a wonderful thing.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Also to complete the circle of love I suggest we post some Bailey Jay in the rule 34.

....not that I know who that is. *laughs nervously*

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Hexenritter posted:

I at least had the foresight to create #SpraytansandPisstapes on the CYOA discord

You should register that domain too.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Coolguye posted:

dude i love bugs i wish i could marry them

Burk would need to convert to Mormonism

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

widespread posted:

Excuse u this is a Christian thread about a hillbilly killing teens so please dont discuss your nightlife

No kinkshaming please

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Lurdiak posted:

They're allowed to fix bugs though, so we might eventually reach the mythical stable state the game's been chasing since launch.

:lol:

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Happy this game day

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

mateo360 posted:

so apparently this dead game is getting a new physical release at least on PS4?

https://www.target.com/p/friday-the...TC&FNDSRC=tgtao

I want to post the sales figures on this then close the thread.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
I played DbD prior to this game - not surprisingly I was an exclusive killer. Was rank 1 and all that, sure I would get dunked on right now but I know how the game works.

Playing Jason was WAY more tense than playing any DbD killer. With Jason you are constantly juggling: Phone attempts, car attempts, boat attempts, Jarivs, them getting the mask. There are instances where you literally would need to be in two places at once to stop something from being repaired and someone escaping. The RNG also played a huge factor in objective location and repair part location. There's also a huge disparity in skill level among the counselors as compared to DbD survivors. If I'm Jason and I find an early-game Ozone or Icey : I don't have loving time for that unless they messed up and random'ed LaChappa.

Not by any stretch saying DbD is a bad game - just that there's a shitload more going on in any given Friday the 13th game which requires more complicated juggling.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
I have no qualms with DbD and am glad people enjoy it. I would have played more but the community was so goddamn toxic.

"How DARE you kill me in this game about killing! Get gud!"

-Someone after hook 3 when they were wasting time teabagging after every window / pallet.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

dogstile posted:

Honestly that makes it more fun for me.

It's like people who DC when Jason throws them through a window in F13. It's a game about being killed, so much salt, I wonder how these people function.

The only time I ever get pissed off is when there's lag or some sort of bug which got in the way of whatever I was trying to do.

Losing because someone outplayed you is a good thing, because it makes you better. If you never lose, you're never getting better.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

The 18 people who still play this on console will be thrilled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
The thread is dead, long live the new thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3871059

• Locked thread