Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I didn't end up maxing out Sojiro, do we ever find out the connection between him and the friend he is doing a favor for by taking you in for a year? I may have just missed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Zore posted:

No, it never comes up.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

You don't but you should max him in your next play through anyway or just watch the scenes on youtube because they're great.

From Sojiro's talk with Yusuke after Palace 2 it seems he might've just taken you in because he sympathised with Joker's situation rather than him actually being all that close to the customer.

Yeah I really wanted to but got stuck at the level that was gated by a stat and then ran out of time. :(

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

It's just kinda weird that a frequent customer was able to talk him into taking a kid in and then you never see that customer (or do you?? :tinfoil: it's that lovely critic).

Roobanguy posted:

i remember one of the news reports saying over 70 casualties, but its been like a month and a half since i've played this game and it was probably in the first few hours at that. but seeing as how the whole thing was to kill a politician that was inconvenient for shido, at least 1 person died in it.

I thought they specifically mention no one died at least initially.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Digirat posted:

But it's funnier when people talk at him in cutscenes and he just tilts his head and makes strange grunts in response because they're determined not to have him talk for some reason

This is from a few pages back but the worst example of this was Persona 2 where you two games from different perspectives but have two silent protagonists that talk when they aren't the playable character. It's especially egregious since Maya talks a lot with a very defined personality and in Eternal Punishment you have characters that are constantly reacting to the weird poo poo she says that you can't read. There was just no point other than the stubborn commitment to the mentality that your character can't talk which was the standard at the time and it kinda needs to go away if they are just going to have the other characters repeat everything in an artificial manner anyway.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jun 21, 2017

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

demota posted:

Finally beat the game. Loved it. I gotta say that for all the talk about Joker there was a disappointing lack of

Just give us a DLC mask.

I was disappointed when Akechi's berserk persona turned out to not be Nyarlathotep. i think that would have been a neat throwback.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Maybe true but was Tatsuya Sudou really any less of a serial killer loser with a complex about his lovely villainous politician dad?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Persona 5 felt like they hit the reset button a few times but kept some of the prior work and ideas.

Dragonatrix posted:

Special place in the games nothing. Loki had a special place in the original terrible novel, wherein he got summoned by Nakajima and proceeded to rape the guy's teacher because, uh, it's just a prank, bro? I don't really remember the specifics too much because, well, the book is really loving bad. Oh also he was the main antagonist but y'know, whatever.

Loki's status as a big deal in the games has been very inconsistent though. Megami Tensei had him get rezzed by Lucifer and... end up as the third boss after Minotaur and Medusa. That's one of the higher points, really.

I still think that Nyarlathotep would have been a better fit for that Persona (he wouldn't have to even say anything, it could be like with Persona 1). Akechi had basically the same thing going on with Jun where he's being manipulated by cosmic forces using his parental resentment and given power which causes him to become a murderer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Haru could have been left out entirely and it would not have been noticeable which is a real shame. Even the cliche "rich friend that allows heroes to do something no one would normally be able to" event she facilitated was so meaningless and short it could have just been another buffet.

• Locked thread