Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

So the beta forums are actually talking about boycotting arena because they removed the 1 Mythic Wild Card from the Vault that you get from opening duplicates of cards. Now the only way to get the mythics you want are from opening them, or opening a Mythic wild card in a pack and the REEEEEEEing is deafening. People are unbelievably pissed that they can't have a full playset of every mythic rare on day 1 or something. I haven't played magic in a while, but aren't mythics usually garbage 7-mana commander fodder?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

But how much grinding SHOULD it take for a F2P player to have a complete tier 1 deck? Also one of the devs mentioned on the beta forums that every pack you open raises your odds of getting a mythic wild card a little extra, so there is a floor for mythics.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Its not really a coincidence that the deadest games are the most generous. Eternal has a playerbase in the... hundreds? Like The Elder Scrolls: Legends had the whole twitch drops thing where they just drowned everyone in free gold and legendaries to try to get anyone to play their game, but then started releasing expansions at the same pace as the actual Elder Scrolls games and refused to host any tournaments. You pretty much just have to compete with Hearthstone, which is wildly popular and also not known for being even a little generous.

Also the #1 reason to play Arena is that its the only game where you can play with magic cards and magic rules and be remotely F2P. You have actual interaction with your opponents. Magic has pretty much been its own biggest competition.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

The key numbers to know are that 22 lands is where 3 lands becomes more likely than 2, and 26 lands is where 4 lands becomes more likely than 2. These are pretty dramatic breakpoints.

This is a bad take. All the evidence from other games points to wanting to start off with pretty generous f2p to get as large a pop as possible and make the money off whales. f2p players should be able to create a few tier 1 decks a season, so they are still interested in the game by the end of it.

The game isn't out yet though, this is a brand new untested economy and they're giving ~7 packs a week if you do all the quests. That seems pretty generous.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

The reward structure is at least good. I like that I get get like 80% of the days rewards with my first 5 wins + quest. Now if all the rewards themselves weren't dogshit...

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

can't we just talk about how everything about Arena but the client itself is garbage instead?

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

Is this the right thread to talk about MtG: Arena? I just saw that they dropped the NDA last week and I am excited to talk about it now that I can.

I take it you haven't played it much then?

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

I mean, yeah, there's that, but on the other hand those rare/mystic rare wild cards will also get you some ridiculous $100 god-card, no questions asked, so I tend to think of them as being pretty generous. A lot depends on the pace of how often you get the wild cards, since you can't dust.

If the junk rares are the same price as the good ones, that means the junk rares are amazingly overpriced because otherwise why would you ever get them? At the rate you get wild cards, by the time you've made a tier 1 deck to ladder with, you'll make it half way through your fun gimmick deck before all the cards in it rotate. If you decide to make the gimmick deck first, you had better be very very very sure you want to commit to that gimmick for that long because if you waste your first wildcards, it'll take a LONG long time to make a real deck.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Midrange is not a valid answer to control in Arena. Its a totally different meta. You don't have more threats than they have answers because they have 4x Essence Scatter 4x Cancel and some combination of Vraska's Contempt and Walk the Plank and Doomfall. Throw in Golden Demises and then 20 turns in they actually have a finisher you have to deal with. For midrange to work, all of your creatures have to be rare or mythic and nobody has the wild cards for that yet.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I had a fun game against U/W tokens in Arena yesterday, at some point he made a huge stack of anointer priest triggers, and instead of trying to resolve them all manually I just clicked "end turn". This somehow caused the game to crash. I logged back in and got back into the game, and it seems like he did too, but something bugged out because he was emoting but couldn't do anything as his time outs ticked away. It was pretty great because I was probably losing that game!

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Kind of a random question, but why does Amonkhet have a bad version of every planeswalker in the same set that costs more and does less? Are those cards that would have gone into a core set if they made one?

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Decided to watch some MTG: A streaming while im at work. How does anybody watch Day9 do anything? He doesn't read anything, runs headfirst into all bait and then complains about it and his chat is always in sub only mode and they're not allowed to tell him he's doing something wrong or bad or stupid because its "spoilers".

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

So, I was thinking of playing some standard, and God-Pharaoh's Gift looks like a cheap deck... except for the Walking Ballista. Why is that card so expensive? Is it really that good? Every deck plays 4 copies and they're like $11 apiece

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

BizarroAzrael posted:

So do all mythic legendary creatures get a special animation where they jump out of the card in MTGA? Elenda only gets a big rose but I've seen Scarab God and Vona.

Probably should bug report how all of Liliana's voice lines are obscured by the sound effects forget abilities going off. The flourishes like that are great though, it's all pretty slick, though will be interesting to see how it feel played best of three with sideboards. Also that its like a new format and so far I'm playing against less refined decks playing on higher curves and without full players of rare cards. I didn't mind Kaladesh but this does seem to have gotten ride of some nonsense.

The game has an amazing bug where planeswalker voice lines happen seemingly at random after they leave play. I hope they never fix it

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

precision posted:

24 hours into the Beta and I've got a playset of Primal Amulet. Fine, I'll make a janky U/R control/burn deck, IF YOU INSIST.

I saw someone make a Jeskai deck with that, they played that 3 mana white "gain 4 life and draw a card" and then a bunch of land destruction, along with card draw and some counters.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

My favorite gimmicky modern deck has always been Living End. So many times I used to win with it and my opponents had to look at all of my cards because who plays all these commons? And then Fulminator Mage spiked to like $20 each

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Getting rare lands in MTG arena feels SO drat BAD. I get rare wildcards roughly every... 2 weeks? I'm definitely spending those on 3 more Champion of Wits, a 2nd Approach of the Second Sun, 4 Vraska's Contempt, etc. Lands are a luxury otherwise you don't have anything good to cast with them. So you pretty much have to hope for getting them out of packs, which sucks if you don't open the right packs.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I've seen games where a resolved Thieves Auction made 3 people concede. It's played by the same type of person

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

The combo already costs 7 which is basically infinity according to this thread

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

So, I don't know if this is anything, but if you're looking for a cheap deck in MTG Arena I've been doing pretty well with a mostly WB God Pharaoh's Gift deck, with a splash of blue. The idea is to be running as many 1 and 2 mana dudes that kill things, draw cards, gain life, or explore so I can filter through my deck, find a Gate to the Afterlife, get 6 dudes in the GY and activate it ASAP. It'll probably get more blue as I get more than 1 Champion of Wits but it's been getting me a lot of wins. I've gone through all of silver rank with this deck.

Nonlands! (still experimenting)

4 Gate to the Afterlife
2 God-Pharaoh's Gift
3 Strategic Planning <-- pretty much the only reason im splashing blue until I get more Champion of Wits
1 Cast Out <-- gotta keep at least one for Scarab God lol.
2 Slaughter the Strong <- really good against wide boards, Hazorets, big hexproof guys, lets me sac my own guys for Gate
1 Settle the Wreckage <- more defense against wide boards, dinos, gods. Could 3rd Slaughter.

Creatures!

4 Sacred Cat
2 Festering Mummy
4 Dusk Legion Zealot
2 Kitesail Freebooter
4 Seekers' Squire
1 Champion of Wits <- THESE ARE $2 IRL
1 Naga Oracle <- seems ok, wouldn't craft more
4 Ravenous Chupacabra
2 Angel of Sanctions

Lands are whatever works. hell if I know

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Shadow225 posted:

Making Draft Best of 1 would actually maybe convince me to draft again. How many people actually sideboard things into their deck game 2? Making draft take 2 hours makes so much more sense to me than making it take 4.

I should clarify that I am talking physically.

As someone who is in the beta now, Magic was never meant for Bo1 and nothing illustrates that better than a Bo1-only queue. There are so many cards that COULD be playable if we had sideboards. Also Bo3 is a way to reduce the impact of mana issues.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

vandalism posted:

What do you all think about Tetsuko Umezawa making Combat Celebrant and Ovalchase Dragster unblockable? I think I wanna play this deck going in to the next standard. My favorite deck ever was like Abzan control with Elspeth. Anything with a lot of spot removal and then danger time then stabilizing at the end and smashing poo poo up is what I like. I really am hopeful for this set because everything else has been poo poo lately and I really wanna have fun with standard.

That could be a good card in that God-Pharaoh's Gift deck, or for putting Helm of the Host on Celebrant!

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Devor posted:

I wonder what legendary creatures get real stupid when you can have more than one

Or any legendary thing, if you Ensoul Artifact it or whatever

Pretty sure the answer to this is ensoul artifact on Krark's Thumb and play Mana Clash

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Hey WIzards? who decided that sac outlets were too fun for standard? The only reason God-Pharaoh's Gift can't be a good deck is because there is currently no playable ways to sacrifice your own creatures. Preferably creatures that eat creatures. I play a deck that is mostly 1-2 drops that explore or draw cards so I can speed through my deck and find Gate to the Afterlife and hit 6 dead creatures asap. It REALLY REALLY loving SUCKS when I have 3 dudes in the GY and 3 in play, and my opponent can just choose to take 3 every turn instead of blocking and letting me play my goddamn deck.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

We don't have those in arena yet, the only standard that matters now. Also why do they have to cost 4? Bring back Viscera Seer, cowards.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I really need to know if this God-Pharaoh's Gift deck is even worth keeping around anymore. If its not I don't think I can play constructed arena anymore, I've spent so much time and wildcards on it. I know nobody's taken it to a pro tour or anything but I'd like to think it could be capable of winning even a single game...

Here's the list https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/1062214

The idea is to play pretty much only dudes that can cycle, get an early gate, and then maybe play Strategic Planning to hit 6 dead creatures, activate your gate and rez a Chupacabra or Angel or something. Sometimes it works. Sometimes I get to 5 dead creatures and then do nothing for 9 turns.

I imagine the deck might be more consistent with 4 Champion of Wits, but lmao wildcard system. Also it'd be great if I could either run 4 Cast Out or sideboard all of them but sideboards aren't a thing yet. The main problem is that I need to be running at least 25 creatures so that I can consistently discard them with Champion or Gate or just explore dudes into the GY. It also makes Strategic Planning a lot more consistent. I need all the draw because its a combo deck with no tutors so I need to draw into a Gate to the Afterlife by turn 4.

I'm not sure if Slaughter the Strong should stay. On the 1 hand, its great to have when my opponent is playing dinos/merfolk/vamps/tokens, and it lets me sac my own guys and get Gate triggers. On the other hand it's complete garbage against aggro or merfolk who get a particularly aggressive start. And useless against control. Also because I need so many creatures, I can't really run 4 Slaughters and 4 Cast out.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Unless they massively gently caress up drafting, this is definitely going to be more of a drafting game and constructed is just something you'll have to suffer through to pay for your drafts. The upside of that is that ladder will get really easy because anyone who cares about it will either spend less money to play it in paper or MTGO, or be really high rank so you won't get matched against them. There will be no free-to-play constructed players unless someone gets REALLY REALLY lucky and builds a constructed deck with draft prizes.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Buffis posted:

I'm mostly cool with this cause dinosaurs are awesome, but it does seem pretty weird to have the green premier creature be a animal type that actually has existed, instead of a mythical being as all other colors.

But dinosaurs are cool so whatevs.

there are probably people who would say this except about angels and demons

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Toshimo posted:

:wtc: Who unironically complains about "netdecking" in TYOOL 2018?

I saw it a bit on the MTG Arena forums too. I felt like I was back in 2001. You don't even have to look up decklists! Theres a billion threads going "WOAH I won a lot of games with [deck]! [card] is super powerful!" hell you don't even have to read the threads, just look at the titles and you have half a working deck lmao

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

moush posted:

There are very few MTG streamers who can live off that revenue, Caleb and SaffronOlive are probably some of the only ones. I think the pros just really like the competitive aspect but it's funny to see someone like Matt Nass only get like 400 viewers when he streams MTGO.

I know a lot of people disagree, but the pro aspect of MTG is not really a strength IMO. The history of the game kind of forces it to exist but I honestly think the game would be better off without it.

Elder Scrolls: Legends didn't think a pro scene was important... That game all but dried up and blew away

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

So, I got bored of grinding wildcards in Arena and re-downloaded MTGO. Who wants to tell me how to play Pauper 5-color Tron? Last time I played it was 4 maps, chromatic spheres, fangren mauraders and ulamog's crushers. Is that still a viable build? Just ramping into stuff? This was in 2014 btw.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

First time I drafted I went 7-2 with a lovely U/W deck with 4 black removal spells, with a few fliers that carried me. 2nd draft I went with a much better G/B deck with some -1/-1 synergy and 2 Apocalypse Demon. I went 3-3. Third one I tried drafting fliers and making an actual good deck and went 0-3. Welp that was fun for the weekend. Dumped the rest of my gems and gold into DOM packs.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

moush posted:

Put a stop on their end step and hit end turn.

you can hit Shift+Enter to pass until they do something you can respond to, just in case they play something you need to counter before you get to their end step. It might not work 100 percent of the time though, so try it out and report it as a bug if it doesn't because lol beta.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Play vintage and shuffle your opponent's decks aggressively imo. Once the last few copies of reserve list cards are too old to physically play and must be retired, then vintage can stop being a format and the value of the reserve list cards will crater and nobody will care if they get reprinted.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I can't wait until Kaladesh rotates so I can play cool standard decks on MTGA... its like, oh they have some cool ideas... wait no, theres kaladesh cards in there. Lately I've just been playing 5 color good stuff and killing people with Teferi and Darigaaz and God Pharaoh Bolas.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Nothing in MTG Arena is for your entertainment. It literally only exists to get you to play because its "free" when you otherwise wouldn't, and then tries to see how many of you it can frustrate into paying money when you wouldn't have even played it in the first place. Its a trap. MTGO is probably going to end up cheaper in the long run, even if you never ever sell anything before it rotates.

I thought I would play this because it because it would be a cheaper way to play standard, but real standard decks require about 15 mythics each unless you just play 16 counterspells and a singleton wincon. Even if you could buy rare wildcards for 1k gold each and mythics for 5k, it would still take you months to finish a deck without paying.

Edit: If this doesn't change by release, DO NOT PLAY THIS GAME. Play MTGO instead. Once they wipe my collection im probably done with this unless it gets a lot better.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Who says arena will take off though. Remember, $30 Teferi vs $30 for a shot at a Teferi.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I'm started to worry about Bo3 in Arena honestly. They don't talk much about it, and when they do they make it seem more like an afterthought. I get that im old and kids these days like shorter games on their cellular telephone devises, but I really do think they intend for MTG Arena to be its own Bo1 format. It'll have its own meta since sideboarding won't exist so people will have to maindeck sideboard cards, and that'll make it different enough from real magic that it won't steal as many people away from paper mtg. It's super lovely too because I like being able to pack more answers and have fewer dead cards. Like imagine it keeps going like it is and RDW is the best deck in the format, so you have to maindeck anti-RDW tech, and then you get hit with literally anything else and lose. But you have to leave that in there because like 20% of the ladder or quick constructed or whatever the gently caress people decide to play is RDW. There is no more losing game one, bringing in your tech and winning the next 2 games to win the match. Now that's just loss #3 and you're out your quick constructed fee with a lovely prize (The other 2 losses were mana screw/flood). It'll be close, but it won't be REAL magic so people will keep playing paper MTG.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

they're probably gonna make a dumb "arena modern" format, to go with their weird "arena standard" format based around Bo1s. It won't be the same anyway so who cares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I just beat a U/W tokens deck in Arena by using Nicol Bolas's +2 to steal his single copy of Approach of the Second Sun off the top of his deck. He drew it and then cast it once, and by then he was down to 5 cards in his deck. I steal another card, pass the turn back to him, he draws down to 3 cards in his deck and can't use his Champion of Wits to draw it again without losing, so he uses Opt to put it on top, I steal it with Nicol Bolas again and win the game. Other highlights include stealing his River's Rebuke to nuke like 50 tokens and get back a Scarab God. 5 color ramp is a fun deck!