Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I'm a fan of xMage and should probably screw around with it more than I do. I like that it has built-in rules enforcement because I am a dumb Magic player who forgets triggers a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Tonetta posted:

How the gently caress you gonna get a 3 digit dci, I have an 8 digit & I signed up in like 2002

:same: First sanctioned event for me was the Legions pre-release but I had been collecting cards since Exodus.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

InterrupterJones posted:

Mine's actually an 8 digit one from the Legions pre-release as well! I started a bit later with deckbuilding though, around Odyssey block. I remember my first rare that I pulled was a Petradon and thought it was the coolest card ever. :kiddo:

I got into deckbuilding around that time as well, the first rare I can remember pulling and being really excited about was Terravore which is still an awesome card and I wish it was playable anywhere :(

E: Oh wait people were running it in Maverick and Aggro Loam five years ago I guess?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Apr 19, 2017

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

myDad posted:

So is this the unofficial standard thread or is there a healthy amount of modern players as well?

This is a catch-all thread, I usually post deep discussion of Modern tech in the Eternal thread. We have the Brewhaus thread for Standard deck discussion but it hasn't seen much posting lately for a few reasons.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Shadow225 posted:

I know a lot of people have bounced off MM17 draft, either voluntarily or not, but I'm curious what BR is supposed to do as a color group. The theme seems to be sacrifice, but the payoffs just don't seem good. The only token enabler I remember is Dragon Fodder, the payoff is Mortician Beetle, and the sac outlets don't seem to affect the board like even a simple Penumbra Spider. I've only drafted it 3 times, but I have never seen anyone force it successfully, even when it seems open.

I got my rear end beat by a BRu Sac deck in our MM17 release draft. Unearth guys, Vampire Aristocrat, the red creature that lets you sac creatures to Shock stuff, etc. From what I could tell the blue splash was for Soul Ransom, which is disgusting in that deck if you catch your opponent not paying attention.

I disagree somewhat with ShaneB on this, I had a lot of fun drafting MM17 but I suck at draft and don't want to pay $30 when I'm 90% sure to go 1-2. I will agree however that UWx, even just straight UW, is where you want to be. Saw a guy on Esper come back to win from a 44-1 deficit off of two Grixis Slavedriver each with Gift of Orzhova.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

ThePeavstenator posted:

The thing keeping old cards valuable is the fact that they are old and very, very few exist. Birds of Paradise is like $5 for an M12 printing but thousands for an Alpha/Beta copy.

Also WTF it's not a blocker in recreating old cards? That's the primary, explicitly-stated purpose of the reserved list - prevent reprints or functional reprints. Apparently a problem that has occurred multiple times in development is that they've created a card that is a 2/2 flying, first-strike that costs 1WW that they later realized they had to get rid of because it's a functional reprint of a reserved list card.

See also: Reverberate vs Fork, Phyrexian Negator reprint in a Duel Deck (which is easier to understand as a breach of the reserve list but c'mon)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

ThePeavstenator posted:

My uncle owned a game shop that only had a foiled-out collection that would fit in a backpack.

My favorite part is "includes 6 ready-to-play decks" as if a store is going to put together a foiled-out Legacy D&T deck to loan out to any schlub who walks into the store.

A guy at my last store had a foiled-out Azami EDH deck stolen but they eventually caught the guy and got him his deck back, although this was in bumfuck-nowhere Illinois so I don't know if being in SF would make this easier or harder to get back.

E: Actually hey I have a Deckbox trade going with a guy who lives between SF ans SJ, sent it his way to try and spread it more quickly.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Apr 21, 2017

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Smashing Link posted:

Squee might have a home. Rebels probably wouldn't make the cut but I could be wrong. Invasion block has tons of great cards though like Absorb and Undermine, Fire/Ice.

I always beat the Invasion drum when this conversation comes up because 1. Invasion rules and 2. Wizards has said it was the first block where they figured out how to design a three-set block as one cohesive thing, which strikes me as them figuring out "modern" design as opposed to the more random design they had leading up to that.

If you started there you'd have to immediately ban any Storm card that can kill, but beyond that I don't think anything would be so egregious as to not let it have a chance in the new format. Maybe Entomb would have to go too, I dunno. And if you included 7ED in the deal nothing from that set immediately jumps out at me, though someone would figure out how to break Opposition really quickly.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Mezzanon posted:

My plan is to use black border precise fits for my unlimited basics, and white border for every other card in the deck.

Yes. They're technically borderfy precise fit white border. They're sold out everywhere that I can find and the maker doesn't ship to North America yet. If you can find the white border precise fits and ship them to Canada, send me that link!

My plan is to use them in conjunction with those ultra guard sleeves that have the matte black inside.

Which would ideally lead to T1 playing a black bordered basic that uses the word "tap" on it, and using that to cast a white bordered judge foil noble hierarch that has a tiny black outline around it from the ultra guard sleeve.

I assume at that point my opponent scoops in rage.

FYI someone is gonna give you a hard time about using two different types of precise fits in one deck and try to get you DQ'd or whatever. No idea what the rules are for having different sleeves are if the insides look different but the backsides all look the same but be prepared to tell some grog, and possible a judge, why these aren't marked cards.

Personally, I think they're cool and funny.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I went to a new shop the other day and they don't even try standard anymore. All modern and draft.

Mine does Modern/EDH/Pauper on a rotation on Fridays and drafts on weekends. I need something bad to happen in either EDH or Pauper so I can get Modern every other week instead. I don't remember the last time they did Standard there in all honesty.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

AlternateNu posted:

Protean Hulk is already a $20 card. loving lol

Just remembered that I have a spare copy of this, hell yeah. Too bad Deckbox prices take forever to approach conventional market value when there's a banning/unbanning like this.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

If everything Mark's said has been right, the original block order was Eldrich Moon-Amonkhet-Kaladesh

Really? I haven't seen that mentioned before.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Modern is probably the best format right now for playing whatever the hell you want, but a mono-red deck like that has very few ways to interact with the stack, your opponent's hand, or anything that you can't get rid of with damage. It's probably a lousy matchup in the first place, hell I have trouble with Ad Nauseum when I'm playing RG Breach and that's an actual deck.

Needle is the best thing that springs to mind right now but keep a burn spell or two up in case they're also running Lab Maniac. A guy at my store runs both wincons, one MB and one SB.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Deckbox owns, some people have various complaints about but I don't think I would have gotten back into Magic when I did if I didn't have it for listing out my collection and decklists, and also for finding people for trading.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

1. Play spells
2. ???
3. Profit

Sampatrick posted:

2 Monastery Swiftspear is what really got me.

Yeah that seems weird

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

YeehawMcKickass posted:

I needed a budget-ish modern deck because of the death of standard so I put this together roughly. I had a large swath of the cards for a version of this still laying around from their times in standard, minus the enemy fetches and the b/r fastlands. It's actually not bad for the type of pile it is. I run four Swiftspear because any less is just stupid.

This is about to get lost in "lol Felidar Guardian" chat but I've always been tinkering with a couple of different Mardu builds for Modern in my head and this is one I saw the other day. I think this type of deck may want Bob oer Bedlam Reveler but I'm not 100% sure.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Typhus733 posted:

Not me from that league, but that's my deck! Been brewing it over the course of two/three-ish years. Bob makes it a somewhat different deck and is definitely meta call. That said, people really underestimate how good (or maybe just fun) it is to play a 2-4 mana 3/4 with prowess that ancestrals when he comes down. It's a deck with tons of game againt anything fair that gets poo poo on by Tron and Scapeshift.

Cool, glad to hear you're having fun with it. The two Mesas are the only expensive things I need so maybe this is my excuse to pick those up.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Wurzag posted:

wotc are such an amateur hour outfit. I mean I love magic and dnd but it's like they go out of their way to look as stupid as physically possible at every available opportunity.

For better or worse WOTC is a business run by game designers, not businesspeople. And it's definitely shown at times.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

En Fuego posted:

This game could keep chugging along, though I think that the shareholder syndrome (shareholders who have no clue but profits) is the problem now. They want more releases and I don't think R&D can keep up and not make broken poo poo.

I couldn't tell you how to do it, but Wizards needs to change something about their development and production cycles such that they aren't locked into certain decisions a year or more before a set is released. I think it's crazy that if there's enough player outcry over some trend in the game, then the next three or four sets are write-offs because they were locked in before the complaints were raised. What other business could get away with saying "we know you're unhappy but FYI we can't even attempt to fix this for another year" the way Wizards has said that they started turning things around in Hour of Devastation.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Because they value the counsel of Wiseman more than any of their other employees.

Well that explains why we haven't seen any Moonfolk besides Tamiyo in years.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

black potus posted:

This is two good posts so far??? https://twitter.com/drilmagic

I'm a fan of those posts.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

This deck owns BTW, also congrats because blue duals are generally more expensive than non-blue ones.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Yeah send them to me and I'll grade them for free :v:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
We also have a thread in SA Mart for buying and selling cards, there are a few goons in there who run their own card stores who might be interested in those duals.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

FordCQC posted:

So I played in the SCG Modern Classic this weekend and had a pretty interesting revelation upon speaking with my opponents. Almost all of them (and several tablemates) had drove 2-5 hours just to come play in the Modern Classic. None of them were guys that scrubbed out on Saturday and stuck around to play more. Further, they all had come the night before (since the tourney started at 9 AM) so they were paying for hotel rooms too.

For me the even was only on the other side of town so a pretty easy drive at 8 AM on a Sunday, but I was stunned there were so many people willing to spend so much time/money to play in a tournament that only rewarded prize wall tickets. I don't know if it reflects poorly on them, or well on SCG that they're running the right events. Oh, and the Modern event was like 25% bigger than the Standard Classic (not day 2 of the open).

I wish I had this kind of motivation. I live within walking distance of my current LGS and don't know if I would go as often as I do if it wasn't so close. And poo poo, I'm tired on weekends and the last thing I want to do sometimes is drive somewhere to think all day.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
What do you mean by "Valakut" deck in your sheet- Scapeshift decks, Through The Breach decks, or both? From my (limited) local observations they fare quite differently in the same environment.

Also where's Mill :v:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Soul Glo posted:

I went 2-3 at a prerelease with a Skysovereign and the dwarf lord

I went 1-2 at the Theros prerelease with 2x Stormbreath Dragon. If your bombs are the only good cards in that color, splash for that color rather than making it a key component of your deck!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Soul Glo posted:

Oh no I had a great RW deck that looked like I brought it from home

I'm just bad at Magic

mandatory lesbian posted:

i had plenty of good cards, just not the ability to play them good. still lili buys like 3 drinks for me so i'm happy with the night

Oh don't get me wrong, I am God-awful at limited. I'm just commiserating.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Oh yeah, I'm running a road race on Sunday and picked up my race gear today, and the brochure they included in my swag bag smells almost exactly like a just-opened booster pack.

I feel like I need to send this to a lab of some sort to reverse-engineer the smell.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

GoutPatrol posted:

Nothing draws a crowd around me like playing Modern Time Warps. I went 2-1 but got to beat an Abzan Company after they gained infinite life with an awakened inkmoth nexus. Everyone has fun except my opponents.

This deck is really miserable to play against so good job being a monster I guess. There was a guy who used to show up at our store with that deck and I'll never forget the time I was playing against him as Mill. One game he had nearly decked himself but had an Awakened land in play that was going to kill me next turn. I got one more chance after he tapped my poo poo down and topdecked my lone Ghost Quarter. The next game his combo fizzled out for a turn and I dropped a Mesmeric Orb :getin:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

JerryLee posted:

Cincinnatus legendary creature looking good, Roman Republic block confirmed

Would legit love to see a Roman period block but that nut was probably already busted when the Theros setting was created. Then again the thing that made Rome last so long was co-opting good poo poo from over civilizations, so you could set up a block where four colors each have their own distinct flavor and the fifth color just cribs stuff from each of them, with a little bit of its own unique stuff too.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

I'm like Billy Madison going back to high school in my Trans Am and acid washed jeans. I just got crushed by a sliver deck? Things were going well until turn 6 or 7 then I got one shotted by multiple 4/4 and 5/5 first strike death touch flyers.

Is it safe to say power creep and the evolution of the game has rendered my strategy of "1. Cast Serra Angels 2. Cast Mahamoti Djinns 3. Profit" to being as effective as the 10 year old I played in a tournament who literally had his entire collection as his deck and was trying to discreetly discard on the floor to avoid my Black Vice?

Yeah, over the last 15-ish years creatures have generally gotten better while non-creature spells have generally gotten worse. There are obvious examples going against both of those trends, but if you look at Legacy and even Vintage very few decks are running pre-Modern creatures unless they're some sort of combo enabler (like in Legacy Elves)

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 23:53 on May 6, 2017

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Procrastinator posted:

Marvel should have put permanents into play instead of casting spells. But Ulamog would still be nuts on turn 4, so who knows.

As someone who plays Through the Breach in Modern, a 10+ CMC creature is ridiculous on turn 4 even if you don't cast it. Hell, a 6 CMC creature on turn 4 is still really drat good.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

AlternateNu posted:

TtB gives them haste. Turn 4 Newlamog w/o cast and w/o haste isn't crazy considering the deck building requirements needed for that to go off.

That's true, but even if you just plop it into play without haste your opponent has to already be holding removal that turn or they're in huge trouble. And while I don't play Standard, everything that I've been reading in this thread tells me that removal is v bad right now.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Tortilla Maker posted:

I remember one of my opponents asking for a count of the number of cards in my deck at the Dallas Regionals in 1999. He wanted to make sure my main deck was no less than 60 cards.

It was match 1, game 1 so I'd like to look back and think that 14 year old me rolled my eyes as I handed over the deck. In reality I probably got intimidated that this 30-something year old was acting so ridiculously at a Magic tourney.

I later heard that he also called a judge over at another match to compare his opponents sideboard to the submitted deck list since he thought it was too strong against his main deck.

I need to ask this every so often when I play Mill and I'm never quite sure how to do it. I should just be writing down their deck size when it changes the way you track life total but I'm too ADD to do it consistently.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Lone Goat posted:

Just keep your picture of your girlfriend in your wallet like everyone else.

Harsh

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Sickening posted:

mm2017 is finally getting a little bit of relief in singles prices. Goyf is down to low 70's again. Lily to the high 50's. The rest are starting to steadily fall again. That could all change if the pro tour bombs hard and the scg tour pushes interest again.

Great, just in time for all of my spare cash to go towards moving costs :v:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Pontius Pilate posted:

It's definitely still good enough for FNM level play and it sounds right up your alley. Storm also fits the bill.

Is anyone here playing Storm? I haven't seen it locally in a long time but it's it's been slowly but surely creeping up the metagame chart in MTGGoldfish. It got a huge shot in the arm in the last few months, with Baral getting printed and MM17 bringing down the price on Gifts/PiF/Tarn. If I didn't already have a bunch of decks I never play I'd be tempted to build it, it's not the type of deck I ever play.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 03:42 on May 11, 2017

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

cheetah7071 posted:

I long for the enchantment with the text "state based actions aren't checked"

My question is whether or not a functional reprint of Staying Power would fly in actual Magic, even if it was a version that only stuck around for a certain number of turns. Seems like it could cause a lot of memory headaches though.

E: Something like

Freeze Frame
XWU
Enchantment
~ enters the battlefield with X time counters.
During your upkeep, remove a time counter from ~ or sacrifice ~.
"This turn" and "until end of turn" effects don't end.

Making it only stick around for X turns means I can't go Wrath -> Silence -> ~ to lock the opponent out of the game. Although, for three cards and 7+ mana you probably should get close to winning.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 04:16 on May 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

GoutPatrol posted:

I'm pretty sure this type of effect can only work in an unset.

I got my The Cheese Stands Alone functional reprint, let me dream dammit

(yes I know that card involves a much simpler check)