Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
They're pretty good for two colour decks, or with a light splash of a third colour. If you can afford enough basic lands to have them be untapped consistently then they're great, but if you need a bunch of other nonbasics to hit all your colours then they get a lot worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Marketing New Brain posted:

Don't the oaths all just say planeswalker? I only brought it up because I hate the templating, these are going to be fringe sideboard cards at best and there's almost no way they are too good without the clumsy specific planeswalker namedrop.

Do you consider Goblin King only buffing Goblins (instead of all red creatures or whatever) to also be a clumsy namedrop?

Also gainsay wasn't exactly a "fringe" sideboard card last time it was in Standard.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

The Shortest Path posted:

It is in fact fairly unreasonable to state that a deck which saw zero copies played in the top eight of the Grand Prix this weekend is the best deck in the format.

It still could be reasonable to say it's the best deck, but overall had poor luck over this weekend.

It's completely laughable to claim that not only is it the best deck, it's somehow so dominant that it needs to be banned.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

clamiam45 posted:

Holy cow this seems amazing in any format with fetches.

The problem is in fetchland formats you often push your manabase to the point where you can't afford many colourless lands. Running this means you're not running, say, Gavony Township, Ghost Quarter, Vault of the Archangel, stuff like that.

I don't think it's going to see play in this Standard either, as most decks which are likely to have lands in their graveyard and might want a land-that's-also-a-threat would probably prefer Westvale Abbey. After rotation it might fit in, since there will still be cycling lands around to fuel it.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Elyv posted:

the art for Hour of Glory is pretty silly

Yeah, my first read of it is the scorpion dude is giving Rhonas a pep-talk before he steps into the ring to face his opponent or something.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

DangerDongs posted:

There are situations where this will matter. They attack and trade and then follow up immediately by casting a second copy, or they are pitching these to the graveyard via effects like tormenting voice while having an other in play. It's slim, but so is any benefit from casting this card.

In the first case you'd just cast this at end of turn once they've returned the other copy to their hand, and in the second it doesn't really matter unless they have the potential to get it back from the graveyard.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I guess we've gone from 1-cost mana dorks, to 2-cost mana dorks, to 2-cost mana dorks that you can only use every other turn.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

mcmagic posted:

So it's basically a 5/4 for 2 with Echo... Is this good? I have no idea.

I'm leaning towards "not good" in Constructed. If you're playing it on turn 2 you have a basically dead turn 3 (and it's just horrible if your opponent has a cheap answer for it), while if you're playing it later it's not exactly standing out from other big fatties. Notably it's worse than echo because even if it dies immediately you still have the dead turn.

Gonna be an absolute beating on turn 2 in Limited though, while still being relevant later on.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It's a bad lava axe at 3 or even 4 mana, and by the time you get to 5+ mana you're well into the punishers-are-bad zone as your opponent discards excess lands or sacrifices just enough permanents to not die while you're taking an entire turn not really affecting the board. It's not going to turn around a game you're behind, and it's probably not going to turn an even game into one you're winning.

Potentially nice if your plan is to ramp into huge amounts of mana I guess, but you're probably still better off with Ulamog.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If it truly is the case that a big dumb vanilla (albeit undercosted) creature is worth banning, they should probably ban one of the big dumb idiots that requires zero effort to turn on instead of the one that has an interesting risk/reward aspect and unique opportunities for potential counterplay.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

myDad posted:

Serra Angel Victory's Herald looks out of place

It's standard-legal since it was printed in one of the welcome decks. But it looks like whatever source deckstats is using doesn't realize that?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Does the red desert fit into modern Burn the same way Barbarian Ring fits into Legacy? Or can the manabase not afford the extra basic-mountains-that-aren't-actually-basics?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Lone Goat posted:

Maybe blue really doesn't have much of an identity for an effect that isn't horribly oppressive if you can use it repeatedly.

Drawing a single card (i.e. turning your deserts into more-or-less cycling lands) would be pretty blue, would be good enough to see limited play without feeling oppressive, and probably wouldn't be played in constructed if the mana cost was about on par with the other cards in the cycle.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Elyv posted:

because you're trying to build a blue eldrazi deck

that's actually a good point, this land cycle is pretty nice if you wanna give reality smasher and thought-knot seer one last hurrah

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

mandatory lesbian posted:

i disagree. well not about celestrial prism, i like amy weber's weird cartoon book style, but psionic blast looks bad and doesn't really convey the card effectively imo

it does a pretty good job of showing the 2 damage worth of migraine you give yourself when you cast it

i guess they should have flipped the camera around to also show the thing you're targeting though

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

bigperm posted:

It's not a competitive game for everyone. Having fun is more important than winning to me. I can't be alone in this. Maybe in this thread though apparently.

Then why does it matter if you show up and don't win, to the point where "not going to win" stops you from showing up at all?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Some of the most fun I had at FNM was all those 2-2 finishes with Maze's End Turbo Fog and that janky Akroan Horse-Trading Post-Tymaret deck. Decks that are fun to play even though they're not really competitive are usually totally fine at FNM.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

The Shortest Path posted:

Is that a change to how Transform works?

It would normally be worded "Transform Grimlock" rather than "Grimlock, Dinobot Leader becomes Grimlock, Ferocious King" (which is presumably the name on the back side of that card), but I don't think it's a functional change to how it actually works.

The use of Transformers to refer to both Autobots and Decepticons is unusual wording too.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It often used to be right to be on the draw in the red mirror, because you essentially traded 1-for-1 a bunch and the winner was the person who got a threat to actually stick. The fact that you had aggro decks basically doing their best to play control was a big part of what made the mirror interesting.

That doesn't seem to be the case for this deck though.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It sounds like they need an actual coverage team, instead of just getting the on-camera personalities and skipping the rest.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Personal_Nirvana posted:

Hearthstone is a cool game to spectate but gently caress, they hate the idea of player's control over their decks.

Ultimately they've figured out that you need a power vs. consistency tradeoff to make deckbuilding interesting and provide enough variance between games to keep people playing. In Magic, that's built into the resource system - higher-cost cards are inherently less consistent (because you might not hit all your land drops on time), and you can pick the best cards from multiple colours in order to get more power at the cost of a less consistent manabase. In Hearthstone, neither of those are true, so they instead make the powerful cards inherently inconsistent via randomness. (See also: the fact that you can only have one copy of a particular powerful legendary card, which also increases variance)

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

So this is 4 damage every turn in non-commander games, yeah?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Lone Goat posted:

Correct answer is the Modern/whatever Master's sets because they're all old cards.

the last days when you find out what's not being reprinted is kinda interesting though

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
There's something they could get rid of which would really shake up the format in a good way.

it rhymes with "deserved mist"

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The description of Pickles seems totally unrelated to the actual decklist, lmao

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It's not worth playing around cards you can't beat anyway. If you can't beat Blood Moon regardless (because you won't be able to present a fast enough clock and enough disruption with such a limited amount of coloured mana), it's better to just assume they don't have it and maximise your odds of winning in that case.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
FWIW, the actual rules are like

quote:

If an opponent inquires about choices made during resolution, that player is assumed to be passing priority and allowing that spell or ability to resolve.

So even if his position from the start was that horseshit "I ask him what will he name, as in what his intentions were once it was in play" stuff, any competent judge would still rule against him.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If you're just picking boosters to draft with it seems like you'd want the packs with the highest odds of absolute bomb rares, and who cares how shallow the rest of the pack ends up being.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
"I play this deck because I find the play patterns really entertaining" is totally fine, it's when you start making mental contortions to justify it as being the best possible deck for your metagame or whatever that things start getting a bit weird.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Make sure you've selected the right options on the left-hand menu.

There's like three different "rooms" for Limited events for no good reason at all, so if you're looking in the wrong room you won't see the events you're after.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Tales of Woe posted:

https://twitter.com/wizards_magic/status/902168905787076611

funny how leaking the regular rare sheet didn't clue us in at all that there could be a DFC sheet

So uh, anyone want to speculate as to why the back side of a DFC needs reminder text that tells you what the name on the front side is?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Mentor kinda deserved it, so that's good. Someone at Wizards must really hate shops. Unrestricting Bargain is like to change basically nothing, so it's probably a good idea.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
They can probably fix it with a clarification on how "until" works. So if it would exile itself and then immediately unexile itself (since it's no longer in play), instead it does nothing.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Jenx posted:

Actually I can! I'm not American, I am not bound by the social conventions of America, and in my language referring to a person from African descent as a "negar" is actually less rude than calling them "black".

I am not sure what that has to do with anything though, but figured if you're pointing it out it might relevant.

This really isn't the hill you want to die on.

Unless it is, in which case you should just do it and stop bothering us.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It's infinite 2/2s with Doubling Season, FWIW.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

evilweasel posted:

that lets you run it as a sideboard card in decks that rely on chord of calling/coco to grab their silver bullets, like elves.

Yeah, it's actually really good. While it's super antisynergetic with the birthing pod-style Company decks (which is one of the first places that looks for silver bullet creatures), anything that has chord/company and doesn't itself rely on ETB triggers is gonna give this serious consideration.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
There was Corrupted Grafstone.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Looks like it's mainly Lizard -> Dinosaur, plus straight-up adding Dinosaur to some things that weren't Lizards.

With the one exception being Deathmist Raptor, which is no longer a Beast because...?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

evilweasel posted:

here's a random question: fungusaur has been printed with two different mechanics: originally and now, it gets +1/+1 immediately after it is dealt damage, in revised-5th edition, it gets +1/+1 at the end of turn if it was dealt damage that turn. what the gently caress happened where they decided to just change how the card actually works in revised, then changed it back years later?

The design philosophy around functional errata has varied quite a bit over the years. I believe the modern philosophy is "functionally equivalent to the most recent printing". You can see this most notably with Loxodon Warhammer - when they first came out with Lifelink, they updated a bunch of old cards to use Lifelink, even when they resulted in functional changes. Later, they decided that was stupid, and returned them all to their printed functionality - except Loxodon Warhammer had been reprinted with the new wording, and so it stayed with the "most recent printing" Lifelink version.

I guess fungusaur got reprinted at a time when they decided that cards should maintain the original functionality, which is why it reverted to the original wording. No idea why it would have changed in the first place though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Carl Killer Miller posted:

Are sets like eternal masters drafted, or are those the ones that are like $10 a booster?

Is buying a box of that set worth the investment?

Do you own a large retail store that can buy boxes at wholesale rates and move a lot of the individual cards at singles prices?

If so, then yes it might be worth your while to buy and open some boxes.