Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Sailor Viy posted:

Do Commander precons ever add new cards to Pauper?

Unless it's changed recently, rarity in precons is decided like this:

If it's a reprint, it has the rarity it had last time.
If it's not a reprint, it has a rarity based on how many of the precons it appears in--so like, rares only appear in one of them, uncommons appear in two or three, and commons appear in all of them.

So, commons do appear, but they're never existing cards, and they're usually useless things like command tower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Is this the same guy who was flipping out that cards printed in masters sets aren't real cards

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Was wizards ever good at making sets or was the perceived goodness just a combination of the pre-internet world and dumb luck?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
No idea what you mean by sleep. To my knowledge the summoning sickness rules have never changed.

The old rule was that if a creature became tapped after blocking it wouldn't deal damage, but will continue to block. The new rule is that everything proceeds exactly the same as if it were untapped. At no point could tapped creatures block (though I think there's a creature from much later that allowed it as an effect?)

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

JerryLee posted:

They'd obviously never print it, but I wonder if, from a purely rules-based perspective, there would be any problem with a Silence variant that said "Target player doesn't get priority for the rest of this turn."

I long for the enchantment with the text "state based actions aren't checked"

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

C-Euro posted:

My question is whether or not a functional reprint of Staying Power would fly in actual Magic, even if it was a version that only stuck around for a certain number of turns. Seems like it could cause a lot of memory headaches though.

I would settle for "players skip their cleanup steps" I suppose

Would that cause an infinite loop of repeatedly skipped cleanup steps at the end of every turn as the game desperately tries to fix everything? I think it might, but it would be worth it

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Their web people probably could have adjusted the code without too much effort but wanted to avoid the task so they played up how much work it would be to change

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
It's probably that a bunch of the code has hardcoded things like
code:
for player in range(8):
and while adding a few lines to accept a custom number of players would be trivial, tracking down every single instance of the number 8 would be at least annoying

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Elyv posted:

just do a find/replace of "num_drafters" for "8", I'm sure absolutely nothing will go wrong

The date of the draft is now May 1num_drafters, 2017

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Apparently there was a period when aether vial couldn't be banned from mirrodin block constructed on mtgo because they couldn't figure out how to add a card with an ash in its name to the banned list

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

mandatory lesbian posted:

you can tap something to destroy angel, i'm guessing you'd use avatar of woe

You have an avacyn

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
To my recollection the #1 indicator a leak is real is that the art is new. I'm not sure I've ever seen a fake that had plausible original art on it

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I will be very surprised if these aren't real

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
That time promo relic seeker was bugged but normal relic seeker wasn't
That time they couldn't ban aether vial in mirrodin block constructed because it had an æ in it
That time where if snapcaster flashed back a zenith card, it would shuffle into your library but still show up in the exile zone, and your opponent would know when you drew it because it would disappear from exile

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

AlternateNu posted:

How does that card work IRL, anyway? Do you literally resolve it in the middle of resolving whatever effect is causing you to search your library?

You cast it while the other spell/ability is still resolving. It will go directly above it on the stack. The spell/ability resolves. Players get priority. Then panglacial wurm resolves.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Also, auras target even though they don't say "target"

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I might be a little confused, but I think it's more like constructed thing? We started with six packs to ourselves to make a 40 card deck, then had three drafting sessions with three packs each to finish up to sixty.

That's a really bizarre limited format that I've never heard of before, but it's still a limited format, not a constructed one. The difference is that in limited, you play with cards you open in packs as part of the event. With constructed, you make a deck out of your entire collection.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I bought my stoneforge mystics and played them with swords and birds before it was cool

Of course I paired them with lightning bolt and steppe lynx instead of jace and preordain, but still

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The part from that story that's missing is why did the guy want to drop? Was the store doing a rare redraft? Was there a second money card?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Star Man posted:

Yesterday I learned that the "gentleman's mulligan" is something that you can actually do in sanctioned Magic. You just intentionally draw the game and start the next game within the match. I always thought it was just some casual thing that I would never have a problem with if I wasn't playing for prizes, but it seems that it's technically within the rules. I don't think I'll ever be okay with it outside of FNM or Standard Showdown, though.

You do have to record the draw on your match slip though

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Star Man posted:

We don't do match slips. I know that I don't have to agree to the draw, but I am going to start reporting it when the match is over.

I have a feeling that it became a thing at my store because most people playing are very casual and inexperienced. It likely became a thing because they did it at home all the time.

Yeah nobody cares at FNM, I mostly meant if you take your new knowledge to a GP or something

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

ZeroCount posted:

This shouldn't be an issue though right? The rules state that a magic match is decided when someone wins 2, it's not actually a best of 3. I've never done it but you should be able to hand over a match-slip with a dozen draws marked down without raising any trouble.

This is correct

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I haven't had a ton of experience with un-cards but what I've had convinced me that they are fun to read once and then miserable to play with

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
There are 23 horses in the history of magic up to this point, not counting changelings.

e: donate this and then play akroan horse so your opponent can't get rid of it

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Carl Killer Miller posted:

Rules q, couple nights ago I played a grim strider with two cards in hand (6/6, -1/-1 for every card in hand). Attacked with it, opponent chose to take the 4. I played two Onward in response (creature gets +x /+0 until end of turn, where x is it's power)

How much damage do?

Assuming you cast things in the most optimal way, 24. X is checked when onward resolved. If you cast the second onward with the first one on the stack, Grim Strider will have 6 power when the second onward (the one higher on the stack) resolves. Then it has 12 power when the first onward resolves.

If you wait for the first onward to resolve, then cast the second onward, it's 22 damage.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Star Man posted:

You send a Sacred Cat in to attack and as long as it deals damage to something, you play the horse in the second main phase.

Turbofog's time to shine

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
My memory of lunchtime middle school magic was watching people play with cards that I have since determined were not yet out when I was in middle school

The memories are super vivid too

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

mcmagic posted:

Also if you're 31 years old and still obsessed with pro wrestling, that is bad and you should feel bad cause pro wrestling is dumb. /ducks.

Says a poster in the Magic: The Gathering thread on Something Awful dot com

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Yes true statements are valid anywhere. Pro wrestling afaict hasn't changed in any way since i was 13 in the nineties and in many ways is probably worse.

Insulting hobbies that thirteen year olds had in the nineties feels extremely ironic in the magic thread

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Retromancer posted:

Casual magic players are awful.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

80s James Hetfield posted:

Gaby is also like mega rich from what I saw in twitch chat (lol)

After this thread was talking about pro loving wrestling there is nothing worse that can be discussed.

Discussing the private lives of random people who happen to play magic well is way worse than people self-owning by calling wrestling childish in the magic thread

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

ShaneB posted:

Meh at this point LSV and Gaby are self-made celebrities and desire being such. People want to talk about celebs.

Celebrity gossip of actors is kinda gross too tbh

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Rich weirdos are basically the only way new names get added to society (e: well, that and immigrants bringing their names with them) so I wouldn't be surprised if in 50 years several of these extremely nerdy names have penetrated the list of normal names.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Entropic posted:

Why can't someone make a Magic clone that doesn't make my eyes bleed?

Hex isn't ugly at least. It's hardly perfect but the art is fine.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
tbh Hasbro should probably just absorb WotC entirely

Keep R&D as a team within the company that doesn't do anything but make the cards, but leave everything else to the grownups

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Alris posted:

My guess is it's full-art horizontal lands.

Scratch-'n'-sniff is something we know Maro considered for one of the unsets

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Nicol Bolas having a penchant for one-liners that a thirteen year old would think are clever and badass is an amazing if unintentional bit of characterization

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Tainen posted:

That's a lot of words to stay "EDH is bad"

Weird rules edge cases are cool, I'm sorry you hate fun

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

EmmyOk posted:

On cards like this is it saying it costs two blue mana to use cycling?

No, it's just clarifying what cycling means.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I've played several non-magic drafting games and have yet to find one that preserves all the parts of magic drafting that I like