Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
So I just moved down to Northern VA, whats the best place to go for pre-release around here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Shadow225 posted:

I know a lot of people have bounced off MM17 draft, either voluntarily or not, but I'm curious what BR is supposed to do as a color group. The theme seems to be sacrifice, but the payoffs just don't seem good. The only token enabler I remember is Dragon Fodder, the payoff is Mortician Beetle, and the sac outlets don't seem to affect the board like even a simple Penumbra Spider. I've only drafted it 3 times, but I have never seen anyone force it successfully, even when it seems open.

Its a burn deck, you get in as much damage as you can with spike jesters, and kathari bombers, and then hope to finish them off with burn spells and creatures dying to falkenwrath noble.

Or you just draft grixis for all the good cards

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
In a situation where you are chumping with cat its going to usually be like 10+ life you are gaining, which is a pretty reasonable card.

This might change after I've done a bunch of draft/sealed but for right now I think it something you will usually play as long as you aren't an aggro deck

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
Went 3-0-1 ID the last round. with G/W splashing black. White god is real good, embalm creatures are real good, final reward is real good, and green cartouche is just insane for a common.

Slow players are the loving worst though. Guy went 20+ minutes over twice in three rounds. I had to go up to him and tell him to stop being a dick multiple times because he literally tanked for 10 minutes on blocks against a hellbent opponent at 4AM at a loving prerelease.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
Please don't play any of the monuments except the maybe G or W if you can draft a specific deck around them.

Thanks

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Walked posted:

I've played a bunch of MTGO drafts now; and my biggest complaint is that the time allotment seems insufficient for this set. I've won several matches to time (and lost once), whereas I've never run into clock issues in other formats before.

Lol no. People play miserably slow enough already without giving them more time.

If you are running into clock issues on MTGO (that aren't caused by the lovely program crashing) its 100% on you.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
Speaking of MTGO here's a couple decks I've 3-0 6-0'd with recently:

I cast drake haven turn 3 of R1G1 and felt like i couldn't ever lose. And then proceeded to never even see it again the rest of the draft. The clone was real real good especially when I got to copy the 6/7 hexproof and then give it flying with cartouche. The opponent had to bounce cartouche and then lose 2 creatures to trade, and then i got to flash it back and copy an angler drake for lethal. Mostly I just wanted to clone angler drake because that card is the truth.

Brute Strength + Oketra is pretty broken

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Tales of Woe posted:

Playing 15 land and relying on cycling to hit your land drops is a stupid trap of a strategy in this format and will get you killed vs a lot of decks.

15 lands is correct more often in this draft format than 17. Only time I want to be running 17+ is if you are running the 7+ Mana non-cyclers like convergence or that black enchantment

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
Your black has the biggest bombs in Demon and Beetle, but other than Final reward the rest of those cards are pretty bad. The deck you built has some great top end but way too much air for my tastes.

I'd personally run G/R (splashing either U for Nissa, or B for Beetle/Reward)

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Rides Naked posted:

Since it hasn't really come up yet, TDSL has been interesting. It feels like the old timers have been getting wrecked which might be attributable to
1) They just don't draft AKH too much
2) The new world order fairly ruined draft strategies that aimed to leave your opponents only with cards that replace colors on permanents or w/e

Probably a large part the former, but it feels like the latter has some kind of effect. Not a huge deal, but kinda funny given all the talk of how team drafting so thoroughly changes the strategy of drafting etc.

Whenever I hear Marshall commentating a match i think wow this guy has no idea how to play limited at all. And then I watched him play and yeah, he has no idea how to play limited at all.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

AceClown posted:

That Cruise/Full control toggle is going to add a new layer to the game, let's say you had it on cruise control and auto pass for a couple of turns then suddenly activate full control of priority passes, that's going to give away so much info.

Can also be used to bluff with I guess. I'd just imagine most people who know what they're doing will just leave full control on.

How's it any different than hitting F6 in MTGO?

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

They're really pushing big dinos in limited because this at common really punishes having x/1s in your deck

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

meanolmrcloud posted:

This limited feels so on rails. I look at every p1p1 with a sense of dread because chances are, it’s a tribal card and it’s always a roll of the dice if that tribe will be open.

I've definitely found myself not playing my p1p1 a lot more than any set in recent memory. The packs in general are powered down so you actually have to read signals and draft well if you want a good deck, instead of just forcing whatever color you opened bombs in.

I'm enjoying drafting, but the gameplay itself is fairly meh.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

funmanguy posted:

Oh hey, world champs is on twitch. Any favorites?

Going to say not Juza after he hooked himself really badly into red during that draft

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

The Shortest Path posted:

It's been a lot longer than four years. The last Actual Real Control Deck was in like, Time Spiral.

Ivan Floch won a pro tour with a deck containing exactly 0 win conditions like 3 years ago.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

C-Euro posted:

Don't scoop to a combo kill, always make them play it out.

Please don't do this on MTGO though because having to individually create like 40 copies of deceiver exarch is the worst.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

This has got to be the best storm deck i've ever drafted. Time to lose every game because i'm terrible at playing storm.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Angry Grimace posted:

Apparently, Opposition with Timely Reinforcements, Blade Splicer and Spectral Procession is annoying to my opponents. Who would have thought?

Also, Tamiyo, Venser, JTMS Glen Elendra Archmage and Frost Titan are also annoying even when you don't have Opposition.

If your holiday cube deck is even remotely fair you are doing things very wrong

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

kingcobweb posted:

I maintain that the most unfair vintage cube deck one can play is blue/x featuring cantrips, cheap interactive spells (especially Counterspell/Mana Drain/Remand) and some reasonable creatures powered by a Sword or two

You don’t need to get fancy, just build a needle that can pop your opponent’s balloon

I had an opponent yesterday scoop after I hit him with t2 remand, t3 mana leak, t4 spike, t5 daze

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
I just played T1: Mountain - Crypt -> zurgo + revoker
T2: Mountain -> hellrider
swing for 10

Holiday cube is the best

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Sickening posted:

The first round of this open is awful.

I just tuned in for the end of that 2nd game and wow....

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

suicidesteve posted:

FWIW I really can't think of any other decks with the win conditon of making your opponent fall asleep. Old Miracles is the closest I can think of but that was like, plan D and was reliant on already having the best card in your deck in play and putting 3 copies of a garbage enchantment in your deck. Every other prison deck has a way to win the game in a reasonable amount of time before they draw out of it.

It's also really funny to slow roll (NOT slow play) Lantern players so they waste a bunch of time. Remember that you can win a game in 5 minutes and they can't. It's even funnier on MTGO.

Floch's Elixir/Rev which everyone here loves. Its just the perception of being locked out by lovely commons compared to being locked out by infinite counters

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

sit on my Facebook posted:

Yeah the issue with Lantern is really just the game play it generates is quite bad

Recall that Second Sunrise was banned for much the same reason

Second sunrise was banned because it generated 20 minute turns, its not remotely the same thing

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
1 Player games is the point of like 50% of eternal decks. 2ndSunrise was banned because it caused rounds to run over time

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Matsuri posted:

You're interacting with your opponent's cards, not your opponent.

Because your opponent can't loving do anything but sigh and pass.

I'd love for you to define the difference between interacting with an opponent and his card in this a literal card game

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Matsuri posted:

I don't understand how it's hard to understand. Your opponent is the person across from you who wants to play a game with you. Their cards are the means in which they play with you. If they aren't able to even do anything with their cards, they're not getting to play, and you're not interacting with them, because you've made it impossible for them to interact with you beyond telling you that they pass their turn while contemplating how hard they want to punch you in the throat.

In your world of fair and just magic what are your thoughts on the card counterspell?

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
Speaking of sealed there's a 24hr RIX league on MODO that starts in like an hour

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

GonSmithe posted:

The Akroma dinosaur is so incredibly dumb. Why did it need Indestructible?

Because its a 8 mana creature with no ETB effect

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
After playing a couple sealed leagues RIX seems decent so far. The EV is atrocious even by MODO standards though

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

GonSmithe posted:

I meant for Limited. There’s enough “Reduce the cost of dinosaur” cards that it can be readily played and it’s unbeatable when it hits the board.

I'm talking about limited, its an 8 drop with no ETB, blocks 1 creature, and doesn't have lifelink. Its a really good finisher but theres plenty of better limited cards in this format.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Jedi425 posted:

By which you mean what, the cash / MODO funbux value of the cards in the packs you crack? I'm not good enough to get prizes reliably yet, so that's bad news for me. :geno:

Its 30$ to enter and if you 4-0 you get like 34$ in packs and there are like 5 cards worth more than a dollar. I've gone 10-2 and barely broke even, its like a gp

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
In more exciting wotc digital news, modo just died again

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
Just play with Chess Clocks at comp rel and kill off draws completely

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Madmarker posted:

Not really feasible when you start throwing in the whole priority system.

Like we are talking multiple passes of priority per phase per step per turn.

Why? Hitting the clock to pass priority doesn't take any more time or effort then saying/gesturing that you are passing it.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Soul Glo posted:

i drafted m25 once last night

shan't be drafting again!!!

it's dumb and bad. every pack that was passed to me felt like it didn't have any good cards. every game went long until someone drew their right piece of bad removal

also i went 0-3 and got about 3 tickets of value :smith:

I'm currently 1-0 with a grixis deck with a bunch of kills spells and durdly creatures where my only real wincon locking the game with ensnaring bridge and counterspells and then milling them with USZ.

Format is silly and unbalanced but there are definitely fun decks you can draft. Just play phantom.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Angry Grimace posted:

Also, Tiana kills a Flametongue Kavu in the story despite the fact she would lose to it's ETB.

Yeah but she would beat it in combat

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
Talk about creature power creep all you want but Siege Gang Commander is like 15 years old and still an unreal bomb in limited.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Soul Glo posted:

very medium boros deck

lyra dawnbringer
Umm

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Fish Of Doom posted:

Anyone else think that limited for this set is pretty bad so far? A lot of people at my LGS tonight were talking about how much they disliked it, and after a couple drafts I kind of agree. It feels very Avacyn Restored where ridiculous bombs just rule and there's so little removal, there's not a lot you can do about them, so it comes down to who opened what or who played their unbeatable bomb first. Other than eviscerate, there's like no good common removal. Red gets bad abrade and not Burst Lightning, white gets the 5 mana exile, blue gets the make a creature 0/4, and green gets a two mana Prey Upon. I can't believe there's no Pacifism variant in this set, or even a blue card that taps something down for a turn.

Rivals was way better than this.

Lol, all those "not good" common removal spells you just named are actually good removal spells (the prey upon is marginal depends on the deck). You also forgot Vicious Offering which is super strong. Uncommon has a ton of good removal as well with lightning, settle, cast down, seal away.

You can dislike the set all you want but it objectively has more good removal than any limited format in a long time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Fish Of Doom posted:

Rivals had way better removal at common. Not counting uncommons, Black had Moment of Craving and Impale, white had Devine Verdict and Luminous Bonds, Blue had Waterknot, Red had Bombard, Green had Hunt the Weak.

Are you loving high?

Vicious Offering and Eviscerate are literally strict upgrades to Moment and Impale. The 5 mana exile is better than divine verdict gideon's reproach is better than divine verdict. Shivan fire is insanely better than bombard. Lol Hunt the weak compared to animus.